Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Love After World Domination (Koi wa Sekai Seifuku no Ato de) is a Japanese manga series written by Hiroshi Noda and illustrated by Takahiro Wakamatsu. And now it has an anime adaptation! This is the thread for the anime adaptation. :siren:Please keep manga discussion spoiler tagged:siren: for the benefit of anime only watchers please.

The Story: In order to combat the villainous Secret Society Gekko, who have burnt half of the world and are planning to burn the rest, the hero group Freezing Sentai Gelato 5 is formed, consisting of Red Gelato Fudō Aikawa, Blue Gelato Hayato Ōjino, Yellow Gelato Misaki Jingūji, Green Gelato Todoroki, and their leader Professor Big Gelato. However, things change when Gekko recruits a new member, the Reaper Princess Desumi Magahara. Not only is Desumi a formidable fighter, but she and Fudō also happen to fall in love with each other despite being mortal enemies. Even though neither of them have any experience in romance, they begin dating in secret, trying to hide their relationship from their respective organizations.

The Characters:

Fudō Aikawa / Red Gelato: Is a Strawberry Elemental. Dedicates all of his free time to bodybuilding. Becomes infatuated with Desumi/

Desumi Magahara / Shinigami Oujo: One of the Leaders of Secret Society Gekko. Has a pet cat named Hellko. Likewise is infatuated with Fudō

Hayato Ōjino / Blue Gelato: Is a Soda Elemental. A womanizer who never gets anywhere.

Misaki Jingūji / Yellow Gelato: Is a Lemon Elemental. Is curious to know about what's going on in Fudō's life.

Haru Arisugawa / Pink Gelato: Is a Peach Elemental. Has adorable hair bows and twintails.

Daigo Todoroki / Green Gelato: Is a Pistachio Elemental. ...

Professor Big Gelato: The leader of Gelato 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
3 episodes in so far, and this show has just been a lot of goofy fun where you can't help but root for the two leads to get together and have fun. It's not particularly deep or anything, but it's funny and charming.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Julias posted:

it's funny and charming.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sometimes when a comic I like gets adapted I'll peter out over time when the novelty wears off but this is definitely one of the cases where it's punching it up enough that every ep has been a joy and will absolutely be keeping up with it.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
I think I would be enjoying it even more if I watched enough toku to really "get it" but it still very funny on its own so whatevs

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I read the 21 translated chapters and watched the first episode thanks to the thread, so thank you for making me aware of this fun manga/anime. It reminds me of Sunred, in the evil organization not actually being all that evil and the Sentai stuff mostly taking a backseat, beyond gags and some setup.

January 6 Survivor posted:

I think I would be enjoying it even more if I watched enough toku to really "get it" but it still very funny on its own so whatevs

I've only seen one Sentai show fully, though I've seen chunks of a few others, and none of that in years, but I think the general gist is all that the show really requires for anything beyond maybe some real deep cut jokes I might have missed. A lot of my knowledge of the basic material comes more from Kamen Rider stuff than directly from Sentai, and even that doesn't give much of a grounding, since it's only the older Showa era stuff that gives more focus on evil organizations, minions etc. I just know of them, more than have any direct experience of them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I watched maybe a season's worth of Power Rangers episodes thirtyish years ago and didn't even know they were mostly Japanese stock footage until much later, and I get the premise just fine. Superhero team vs. villain team was actually a ridiculously common thing in western cartoons.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 24, 2022

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Strong Kaguya energy from the narrator today.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm a civet
This is the preview

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This show is about as wholesome as a show where the leading lady wears butt-flaunting lingerie can be, which is more than you'd expect.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Pink is the best girl, after Desumi.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This show is cute and good.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Nate RFB posted:

Sometimes when a comic I like gets adapted I'll peter out over time when the novelty wears off but this is definitely one of the cases where it's punching it up enough that every ep has been a joy and will absolutely be keeping up with it.

agreed. i think i've been enjoying this more than the spy x family anime, and i don't really know why

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Big Leg posted:

agreed. i think i've been enjoying this more than the spy x family anime, and i don't really know why

I can think of a couple of reasons (pick any/all that apply): the romance is front and center and not just suggested, the humor isn't largely built around the main characters not communicating with each other, you're not asked to be invested in the antics of a small child.

Not that Spy X Family is bad or anything, but it's definitely a different beast.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I wish the iron maiden princess and culverin bear much success in their love life.

Pink continues to be a great wingman.

And Fudo's mom has got that rolling set technique down pat.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

It may have been low-brow and juvenile, but I still laughed at Steel Princess's reveal on coming out of her armour suit after all the bemoaning her lack of charm.

Not as much as I laughed at the note and flowers that Bosslar sent to Red Gelato in the hospital though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shyrka posted:

It may have been low-brow and juvenile, but I still laughed at Steel Princess's reveal on coming out of her armour suit after all the bemoaning her lack of charm.

Not as much as I laughed at the note and flowers that Bosslar sent to Red Gelato in the hospital though.

same voice actor as katakuri, Tomokazu Sugita

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shyrka posted:

They're villains. Not monsters. Not those kind of monsters.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Julias posted:

I wish the iron maiden princess and culverin bear much success in their love life.

Pink continues to be a great wingman.

And Fudo's mom has got that rolling set technique down pat.

The really fun part is that stuff with Fudo's mom after the end is entirely anime original (from what I can tell). It was a nice little touch.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Appendicitis is serious business and you should not ignore severe pains in your stomach and gut.

Almost like Fudo needs someone smart to partner with and support him.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

It's good Fudo works out as much as he does

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

I kind of expected Bosslar to to approve of Reaper Princess choosing not to take the monsterfication upgrade.

The subsequent burn on all the monsters however was unexpected and delightful.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

He even hijacked the opening this week

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
recently moved to a different team at work that is more demanding and less fun. i wish i had desumi's courage to prioritize her loved ones and her mental well-being over fusing myself with a gorilla.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Big Leg posted:

recently moved to a different team at work that is more demanding and less fun. i wish i had desumi's courage to prioritize her loved ones and her mental well-being over fusing myself with a gorilla.

That's rough. Good luck with the promotion tho

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Black Gelato is impossible as licorice flavored gelato is evil.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love everything about the mini-arc between Daigo and Desumi.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the whole thing where the evil organization has a bunch of normal people as employees who are just super enthusiastic about it and encourage their kids to follow in their footsteps

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

M_Gargantua posted:

That sounds delicious.

But you could probably also make it with a combination of Marionberries/Blackberries/Elderberries or Hungarian Pepper for something off the beaten path.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Black could probably coffee or maybe black sesame?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, that's what makes her a COOL AND DARK antihero.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Kind of thought the green fellow was going to be in love with Daigo himself, and was disappointed when he wasn't.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
how could he love the monster he unleashed on the world?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Fudo's brain is powerfully smooth.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Fudo's brain is powerfully smooth.

I fear for the future of the children he wishes to educate as a teacher.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Julias posted:

I fear for the future of the children he wishes to educate as a teacher.

It's fine if he becomes a gym teacher.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New episode be like:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The gyaru princess hanging onto Desumi while darth vading breathing with her helmet on the whole first half was a good bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
First half of this episode was great.

The second half was dogshit.