Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Ahhh I keep choking my no hacks runs on the final phase of the final boss. I just get too greedy popping the dang portals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Just Andi Now posted:

Ahhh I keep choking my no hacks runs on the final phase of the final boss. I just get too greedy popping the dang portals.

Same...
That or the amount of enemies just don't let me near the portals in the first place

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

If the pool of bosses on floors 10 and 20 had been 5 instead of 3, I think it would have done wonders for the perception of variety in the DLC.

I 100%ed Side Order, but I keep playing it. Making crazy builds is too fun not to. Good stuff.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

yeah, for real all this needed was like, 30% more content in levels/bosses and it'd be fantastic
zero hope that they'll patch that in though. chances are they're already going hard on splat4 for the switch 2

marumaru
May 20, 2013

off topic: it's actually insane how popular splatoon is in japan. i knew it was big, but it's really big. everywhere you go there's splatoon. there's splatoon stuff in konbinis. it's so wild

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is the kind of DLC they could tinker with a ton after release but they probably won't, which is a shame. It would be like 10x better with 1.5x as many encounters, objective types and maps.

The odd thing about it is that given the roguelike adaptation they are basically forbidden by game design from doing any kind of platform focused objective, since that would be too static between builds and can't be optimised around any given kind of weapon especially with variable range, power and coverage. But I still would've liked to see some stages like, just fight your way to the objective, with a bunch of enemies in between that you have to get through either with sheer power or creating an opening. I would like to see some mechanics like other roguelikes have where if you accomplish specific things during a room you can increase your chances of getting rare rewards - and in retrospect Side Order doesn't have rare rewards other than double chips, which are good to get but not that interesting, and extra money, and those rewards are exclusively for not doing things. I would have liked to have some distinct challenges in there, like, I dunno, never losing the zones, clearing portals quickly, avoiding damage (admittedly that last one is a bonus but I think it should be active always to some end) or other such. It's kinda wild that getting a saturation floor feels like a letdown because you don't really get anything out of it except that sometimes it makes the floor basically a freebie but in a way that doesn't really impress how much more powerful it made you (unless you get a drone saturation. lol. lmao). Similarly the Dangers are a fun spice and I think the randomness of them is leveraged well (unlike say Returnal where I hate how they handle certain random things) but also I think the actual range of them is both too small and too lopsided, like, most of them are small annoyances which can be variable levels of problem but also there's just "gently caress drone/lucky builds in particular" but nothing that applies the same to other kinds of build, which feels a bit mean.

Basically this whole thing is really good but also I can't stop thinking that it feels somewhat anemic even despite how much it gives you and how little I can stop playing.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I thought I read about there being an option to pay some cash to get back on the elevator if you roll a bad Danger modifer?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
never seen anything like that. just don't pick danger :v:

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

You can walk back to the elevator door and spend some membucks to leave.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
That's good to know. I kind of like the danger modifiers sometimes, but some of them are just apocalyptic. I think I got the flying missiles plus darkness for my first danger encounter and my kit couldn't do poo poo about multiple airborne targets so I just died.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Orb Crabmelt posted:

That's good to know. I kind of like the danger modifiers sometimes, but some of them are just apocalyptic. I think I got the flying missiles plus darkness for my first danger encounter and my kit couldn't do poo poo about multiple airborne targets so I just died.

I got darkness/blackout on the Sysiphean. It was pretty cool and fun.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Danger modifiers are fun, but man sometimes the game just wants you dead. I was doing a splatana run with no extra lives or upgrades and got no drone/no drops on a rigorous turbine mission on that stage with the uninkable divide. I was a drone/luck build.

I completed a risky run with the final palette. Still want to fill out the palette chips and lore and do a hackless run without risky if that does anything new, but I didn't expect them to say, "This is it. It's over" so many times and then it really being it pretty much. Even so, really happy with what we got. Honestly, some of the most fun I've gotten out of Splat 3. Hoping this gets some updates. A couple new palettes every season would be enough to keep me playing down the road.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
For anyone curious about beating the Sisyphean Floor.

https://x.com/ArgorokX/status/1761866120607477883?s=20

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
You can use the drone to float out to the two furthest pillars in the Foyer and land on the brown pedestal!! They've got a cute little easter egg on them. :)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

For anyone curious about beating the Sisyphean Floor.

https://x.com/ArgorokX/status/1761866120607477883?s=20

i like sisyphean floor, it's really good and chaotic.
i hate that one where you go to the top of a floating platform, there's zones in opposing sides, and the only way to get around is rails, it took me ages panic playing it to realize you can just float over to the zones. it's still a poo poo level, i hate activating the rails

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Video of Acht's model without glasses or headgear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVByTnp2G_c

That last one is...kinda cursed not gonna lie, but they really do look great without the shades or hat and cans and it's great that they kept the piercings. I also did a deep a dive of the Octoling lore since some peoplemdis translations from the artbooks and frame stuff much better in context.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 27, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've been at this for hours and I can count on the fingers of one finger the number of times I have seen the Rush Ink Coverage chip pop up. A range chip exclusive to rollers, brushes and brellas, none of which have a range bias. I have the bias hacks set to minimum. What does it take to get these loving chips to drop?! I am killing time until FFVII-R-2 drops so this is pretty low stakes but come on.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Ha, I know the feeling. I had four extra dodge roll chips by floor 20 on the first run where I tried to complete the set. Ran out of membux rerolling floors 21-29 looking for the last one.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fedule posted:

I've been at this for hours and I can count on the fingers of one finger the number of times I have seen the Rush Ink Coverage chip pop up. A range chip exclusive to rollers, brushes and brellas, none of which have a range bias. I have the bias hacks set to minimum. What does it take to get these loving chips to drop?! I am killing time until FFVII-R-2 drops so this is pretty low stakes but come on.

I'm on a basic Splattershot run and chips for other weapons/specials love popping up.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I did end up getting all five extra dodge roll chips after fuggin' three or four hours. I was only running the first couple floors and then restarting unless I got at least one EDR by floor five. Had four chips by floor 20 and got the last one very, very late. Chip bias hacks uninstalled, cheaper rerolls enabled, etc. Now to do it with a roller / brush run!!

They should've added an option to pay pearls to enable or disable one or two types of chips from appearing during your next run. I would've loved to dump some of the more useless mobility chips to get them out of the pool.

Speaking of which, are there any drone chip trap options I should disable after getting five in one run? I don't think sprinkler really adds anything to a run since it only activates when you're near an enemy.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I tried a risky rewards run and it didn’t feel worth it. It put it at a 2.0 multiplier and it took twice as long as a full hack run and I got maybe 50 extra prlz because in a full hack run now I can buy a ton at vending machines as I buy and then reset to buy more. And it just wasn’t as fun because I wasn’t annihilating stuff.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I just focus on single-color runs now, which gives 800+ prlz on a successful run if you can fill the palette.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Literally the first play on Big Run and we score 136 immediately netting us a guaranteed Golden Joe. Fromnhere on out it's just victory runs.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

doomrider7 posted:

Literally the first play on Big Run and we score 136 immediately netting us a guaranteed Golden Joe. Fromnhere on out it's just victory runs.

Hell yeah, get some scales, get paid.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

And here I am slamming my dick in a drawer to break 100

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Played with a friend for about 3 hours, and on what we decided would be the final game, we broke through with a 140. Was having a rough time getting anything going up until that point, glad we got the luck when it counted.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I just got PAID Son!

Two Hydras just DEMOLISHED Boris!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

doomrider7 posted:

I just got PAID Son!

Two Hydras just DEMOLISHED Boris!

wow, I got 20 bronze scales when I beat them. it wasn't that slow either :negative:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Music is unrelated to the game, but it's what best describes what fighting a Boss Salmonid is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrJJtdqsovM

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
It’s a crime that these soundtracks aren’t up on music streaming services. They're on YouTube so why not actual music services?

Riven fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 11, 2024

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Riven posted:

It’s a crime that these soundtracks aren’t up on music streaming services. They're on YouTube so why not actual music services?
They go after YouTube channels if they get too big. I forget if there’s a reason for it, but Nintendo is very weird about their OSTs. Like, they don’t sell a lot of CDs either. I know Splatoon is an exception, but don’t those albums tend to be incomplete Japan Only?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pants Donkey posted:

They go after YouTube channels if they get too big. I forget if there’s a reason for it, but Nintendo is very weird about their OSTs. Like, they don’t sell a lot of CDs either. I know Splatoon is an exception, but don’t those albums tend to be incomplete Japan Only?

Weird this is that there has been a LOT or orchestra made soundtracks from their games from the SNES era. No idea why they wouldn't ride that one out indefinitely.

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

Dunno why the Kraken special falls through grates, but it wrecks me every time on Marooner Bay high tide.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

waddler posted:

Dunno why the Kraken special falls through grates, but it wrecks me every time on Marooner Bay high tide.

Just because it's a modified squid/octo/swim form, I think? Those also go through grates.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Kraken is functionally a super swim form yeah. In fact in 1, swim speed modifiers such as swim speed up or Ninja Squid affected it there.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Kraken counts as swim form for Side Order bonus missions, as well, so uh, don't use Kraken if you're trying to minimize swim form movement.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

How is the game as a whole these days? There's gonna be some Nintendo gift cards burning a hole in my pocket soon, and I was wondering if the current multi had managed to solve its map design problem.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 15, 2024

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Roluth posted:

How is the game as a whole these days? There's gonna be some Nintendo gift cards burning a hole in blmy pocket soon, and I was wondering if the current multi had managed to solve its map design problem.

I feel it is as complete as its going to get. There might be some additional weapons sets coming next season, but we're clearly in the latter phase of the lifecycle. Add the DLC and you have a roguelite on the side.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The problem is the content is weirdly uneven. Like soon we’re getting a splatfest with holly new graphics and music tracks. But gameplay wise Splatfests added their first new mechanic since launch. And the kits feel underwhelming, like backline weapons getting aggro specials. Patch notes feel haphazard and, recently, increasingly anemic.

The maps are better, but few rise to the level of “good” that we’ve been asking for.

The meta is in a much better spot, albeit a bit cooler dominant. But I think most will take in over crab meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Speaking of Splatfests, somehow I missed this announcement two weeks ago:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonNA/status/1763202467808886982?s=20

Good theme, good colors.