Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fifty Three posted:

Jfc all the tryhards are out tonight, playing for Bear is completely unfun thanks to getting wrecked every game

I feel you. It's been like this all Splatfest. It's killed a lot pf my enthusiasm in the game. It's kind of felt like that since 2 actually. Like on 1, yeah you'd go on some bad streaks, but there was this feeling that you could play around and experiment with builds and whatnot and everything would be cool and fine(ie, you could still be competitive). Here, unless you're playing your maximum QUINTUPLE XXX SWEAT GAME, you may as well not even bother be playing AT ALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Salmon Run's working great as always!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lots of posters with skill issues outing themselves itt

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It is Splatfest. Would be kinda unusual if players weren't out to win a mode that heavily incentivizes winning what with the peudo poll and the Splatfest ranking aspects.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Forgive me for not being a sweaty disgusting pig at the game and wanting to enjoy the game casually from time to time.

Araxxor posted:

It is Splatfest. Would be kinda unusual if players weren't out to win a mode that heavily incentivizes winning what with the peudo poll and the Splatfest ranking aspects.

No I mean I get THAT. My post was more general as there did used to feel like there was a more casual feel and vibe in the previous games where you could experiment and mess around more and still be competitive. Now, if your build isn't fully optimized then you're pretty much getting wrecked with no chance of a turn around.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Forgive me for not being a sweaty disgusting pig at the game and wanting to enjoy the game casually from time to time.

I want to frame this post. Not because I agree, to be clear.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 21, 2024

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

splatoon 3's matchmaking isn't very good at putting together lobbies of people close in skill to one another or even balancing the teams between the eight players. climbing in x and splatfest pro felt okay in splatoon 2. there was somewhat of a correlation between how well you played and in which direction your power moved. in 3, it feels luck-based — a measure of how often you were on the team with the players completely out of their depths. everyone would have a lot more fun if nintendo prioritized balance a little more over queue times.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

kidfresca posted:

splatoon 3's matchmaking isn't very good at putting together lobbies of people close in skill to one another or even balancing the teams between the eight players. climbing in x and splatfest pro felt okay in splatoon 2. there was somewhat of a correlation between how well you played and in which direction your power moved. in 3, it feels luck-based — a measure of how often you were on the team with the players completely out of their depths. everyone would have a lot more fun if nintendo prioritized balance a little more over queue times.

To add onto this, for some reason, despite my MMR being frequently in the poo poo tier (1400 to 1600 according to the challenges), sometimes I end up in lobbies against high ranking X players. Predictably my teams get slaughtered. Hell one time I actually got matched up against one of the literal pro teams that participated in high ranking tournaments, despite having absolutely no right to be in such a lobby. (Again, got slaughtered.) I'm not sure what the hell Nintendo did to the matchmaking in this one, but it's definitely like weirdly fluctuating. You can also tell what the enemy team's MMR is in a Splatfest is, even in open or tricolor. The higher the Splatfest meter point payout is, the higher the enemy team's MMR was. And I've seen the payouts fluctuate wildly from +40 to +70, not counting the +20 for painting.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Frye is cursed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Araxxor posted:

Frye is cursed.

...Well drat. That uhh...happened. I wonder if her being cursed will factor into dlc or the sequel.

Also yeah, someone did a deep dive wondering the same thing you and kidfresca talked about and yeah the algorithm is way out of wack and no one really knows the full picture, but ONE issue is that it only seems to take wins+losses into account and not individual performance or at least that was one theory.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 22, 2024

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

That's right

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Made it to EVP 400 freelance!

My eyes hurt.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1785957404418678827

:stare: That's one hell of a theme!

"What would you do if the world ended tomorrow?"
-Live your life as usual.
-Do everything you've wanted to do.
-Find a way to survive.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I always did respect Splatoon's ability to swerve rapidly between "which way do you hang the toilet roll" and "what worth is the struggle against entropy really"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lol which potato chips do u like
code:
HOW WOULD YOU SPEND YOUR LAST WAKING MOMENTS KNOWING THAT EXISTENCE IS DOOMED AND DEATH INEVITABLE		
i love the splatoon team

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The English post is up

-Same ‘Ol
-Bucket List
-Save the Day

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

"Save the day" feels like a very different vibe from "Find a way to survive"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s possible that “find a way to survive” means the collective planet and not just you and your immediate friends/family and it just translate literally to something that reads differing n English(or it’s botched from google translate)

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

lol Frye is still gonna lose this one, good theme though

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s possible that “find a way to survive” means the collective planet and not just you and your immediate friends/family and it just translate literally to something that reads differing n English(or it’s botched from google translate)

Or it was localized to be less shocking to kids. Localization is more than just making an accurate translation, sometimes it involves tuning the source material to the sensibilities of the target demographic. In that regards, I reckon team Big Man will be flooded with kids. Or at least those that don't play Fortnite.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

助かる方法を探す would translate to "find a way to help", i think.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Or it was localized to be less shocking to kids. Localization is more than just making an accurate translation, sometimes it involves tuning the source material to the sensibilities of the target demographic. In that regards, I reckon team Big Man will be flooded with kids. Or at least those that don't play Fortnite.

this too

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Public Service announcement: I am 0-17 for splatfest and I am choosing Team Bucket List.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Public Service announcement: I am 0-17 for splatfest and I am choosing Team Bucket List.

duly noted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Realised I was only like level 15 in the catalogue at the beginning of the month, I've got my work cut out to finish it