Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The whole argument is predicated on the idea that a Ronald Reagan perspective is best represented by the Republican Party in 2022. Putting aside the two evergreen right-wing touchstones of gun rights and low taxes, that's just not really the case. If you take a step back for a second, these are just two issues amongst many.

For a true Reagan Ideologue, the Democrats might simply offer a platform more representative of their views as a whole.

The less polite way of saying this is that the GoP has become a populist mess incapable of driving the country in any real direction. The two party system being what it is, conservative-leaning people supporting the Democrats is not exactly surprising.

edit:

toterunner posted:

It honestly has shocked me to hear people claim that [...] that BLM protestors were treated more harshly than Jan. 6 protestors.

This is a basic, demonstrable, fact. Made "contentious" only because of straight-up propaganda. That you think this supports your position in any way, shape, or form is evidence that you are approaching this from a distorted perspective in the first place.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

This is turning into quite the derail, but since it's OP's derail, I'll indulge a bit.

toterunner posted:

He didn't come in with them. He took them from the police who were using them to block doorways. This article claims that his prosecutor conceded this.

The court filing paints a rather different picture than "He took them from the police who were using them to block doorways."

The actual court filing, and not Greenwald posted:

At one point, MUNCHEL spots plastic handcuffs on a table inside a hallway in the Capitol.
MUNCHEL exclaims, “Zipties. I need to get me some of them motherfuckers,” and grabs several
white plastic handcuffsfrom on top of a cabinet (but leaves many others). MUNCHEL then follows
after Eisenhart, who is carrying a handcuff as well, to a staircase near the entrance to the Senate
gallery; it appears from Capitol surveillance video that Eisenhart is following after two Capitol
Police officers who had just encountered a mob outside the entrance to the Senate gallery.
Eisenhart shouts from the banister, “Freedom!” “Traitors!”

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

They were lying and never gave that money.

I suspect that corporations frame their advocacy this way too., which means they are delegitimizing those they disagree with. Lets say you're also right that American conservatism is characterized by illegitimate positions. If elites are saying that 45% of the country has illegitimate politics, that's important whether or not they are right. Plus, censorship and cancel culture are areas in which they're acting on their stated beliefs.

Not only that, but about 60% of the money listed by OP's article is a single 1B$ pledge from BoA that was explicitly tied to Covid relief to help mitigate how disproportionately those communities have been affected by the pandemic.