Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
It is an impossible question to answer, because your interlocutor can change the definition of "elite" whenever it suits them.
First you need to separate "elite" from the "population at large". Is the difference between how the voters in the top part of the income distribution that much different than how "everyone" votes? Are the 2020/2016 presidential elections even particularly good for determining Republican/Democratic leaning, given how much they focused on the specific candidates themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

toterunner posted:

That person said I could retroactively change the definition of elite to suit my argument.

Tnega posted:

It is an impossible question to answer, because your interlocutor can change the definition of "elite" whenever it suits them.

I explicitly stated that *your* interlocutor (which, by definition cannot be yourself) could change the definition, not that *you* would.

For example in the original post you stated:

toterunner posted:

What elites are there besides the rich, donors, corporations, the media, the professional-managerial class, and government agencies? Of these overlapping groups, I think the rich are a wash and the rest lean democratic.

Whereas I personally disagree that "corporations, the media and government agencies" are elites, as they are not sentient beings in and of themselves. It can be *useful*, for instance to *say* that the ACLU believes in defending and preserving the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to all people in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States. However, I do not believe that to be *correct*, the *correct* phrase would be that the ACLU consists on individuals collecting their resources (time, effort, and money) toward the goal of defending and preserving the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to all people in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States in an organizational capacity. However, even typing the whole sentence out sounds really loving weird, and makes me sound like a pedantic rear end in a top hat, so instead we *say* that x organization believes *y*, despite presumably *meaning* that the individuals that compose it believe *y* generally.