Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

toterunner posted:

I think that extremely destructive riots were allowed to go on which police could have suppressed

Oh really? Where?

There's tons of examples of police responding to peaceful protests with violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
"Elites" are the "toxins" of political conspiracy. Even when it's not a thinly veiled (((elites)))

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
OP you coming back?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

toterunner posted:

Like what? A common criticism of BLM is that they don't make concrete demands. The two responses to this I see are that they are making the clear demand to stop killing black people, or provision of lists of hundreds of demands, neither of which is helpful.

It seems plausible that policy demands associated with BLM are unpopular with the electorate (defunding the police polls terribly but I've heard its substance isn't so unpopular when phrased differently) and its also plausible that accomodating BLM leads to increases in crime since both eruptions of the movement happened concurrently with spikes in the murder rate. Its also plausible that police officers who kill black people are more likely to be charged that they were a few years ago and that there have been changes in how police operate (there are studies claiming that police have become more passive to avoid situations where they'd have to defend themselves). So I doubt there is any evidence from supposed lack of response to BLM's demands that proves elites aren't overhwlmingly pro BLM.

If elites are just paying lip service to BLM, then why are they doing this despite the movement not being particularly popular and the narrative being really easy to criticize?

What I mean by the narrative being really easy to criticize is that black people account for less than 30% of fatal police shooting victims, but around 40% of cop killers and violent criminals in general. These numbers don't prove that police shootings are racially unbiased (I've seen a number of arguments about why this is, some better than others) but its suspicious that they're rarely mentioned, given that Trumpists are accused of being disinformers. Perhaps more importantly, well over 90% of police shooting victims whose names become well known are black. I've heard a number of explanations for this and the only one that isn't obviously flawed or doesn't involve a conscious attempt to amplify stories of black victims is that whites are more likely to be shot by police in rural areas. Why do mainstream media and corporate takes on BLM act like the narrative is obviously true, and never point out that media coverage wildly overrepresents the portion of victims who are black?

Its neat that you posted numbers but no sources

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

toterunner posted:

The amount this article claims that corporations pledged to BLM was greater than the combined amount raised by the Trump and Biden campaigns at that point.

They were lying and never gave that money.

quote:

I suspect that corporations frame their advocacy this way too., which means they are delegitimizing those they disagree with. Lets say you're also right that American conservatism is characterized by illegitimate positions. If elites are saying that 45% of the country has illegitimate politics, that's important whether or not they are right. Plus, censorship and cancel culture are areas in which they're acting on their stated beliefs.

Corporations can't censor and don't "cancel". Corporations basically say that everyone has legit politics if they can get away with it.

quote:

The very dubious BLM narrative is not just saying "racism is bad."

Well they're also saying that police violence is bad. They're just focusing mainly on the part where the racism affects black folks. There's nothing dubious about their narrative at all beyond white people not wanting to hear it.

quote:

And cancel culture exists for alleged disinformation, not just alleged bigotry. A lot of the debunkings of specific claims regarding the 2020 election (note: I don't think there is evidence that the 2020 election was stolen) are so bad as to be disinformation. Saying Breonna Taylor was murdered is disinformation.

Cancel culture isn't a real thing in terms of being able to "cancel" anything. It's an extremely loaded phrase that basically amounts to "the PC police" or whatever for this point in time.

Breonna Taylor was murdered. They just got away with it.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 2, 2022