Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Wasn't the DeLorean also finished in stainless and it was famously a huge fault of the car, impossible to keep clean and scratched and rusted super easily??

e:

ilmucche posted:

So sad I missed rally car posting

:justpost:

like look at this old faired in, flared out rally custom job peugeot 204. The custom bodywork was probably made by a few guys in a shed and its more beautiful than anything that could be conjured up in elon's fevered wasteland brain

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Remember when he was seriously trying to push for it to not have any mirrors at all but then had to put on side mirrors because of like... the pesky law and poo poo, and then was like "they're going to be easy to remove"?

As much as I mock Musk, I'd love for the mirror laws to be revised. Cars would have 3-6% better mileage without them. That's an especially big deal for electrics, but it'd help with pollution on gas cars too. All we'd need is a more competent manufacturer to build an actual reliable camera/sensor system with multiple redundancies (you know, like how everyone else does adaptive cruise control better than Tesla), then do some serious lobbying. Easier said than done, but it would happen faster than FSD ever will.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I've test driven a car with video camera side mirrors and it's loving horrible

The lack of sense of depth and the screen locations make it a very odd experience

I'm sure you'd eventually get used to it, but it is a much poorer experience than actual mirrors

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

priznat posted:

The fridge fridge, which has an integrated interior camera and display to show you what's in there

3O alt account spotted!

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Zero VGS posted:

As much as I mock Musk, I'd love for the mirror laws to be revised. Cars would have 3-6% better mileage without them. That's an especially big deal for electrics, but it'd help with pollution on gas cars too. All we'd need is a more competent manufacturer to build an actual reliable camera/sensor system with multiple redundancies (you know, like how everyone else does adaptive cruise control better than Tesla), then do some serious lobbying. Easier said than done, but it would happen faster than FSD ever will.

Counterpoint. While I obviously agree that the energy waste from mirror drag is a problem, cameras and displays can't replace them easily. Mirrors work so well because they maintain focal distance to subject. scanning your mirrors while driving lets your vision stay in the traffic context around your car instead of having to refocus on something inside your vehicle. Obviously olds should never be allowed to operate cars and Young persons don't think about this much but the eyes take longer to refocus the older you get. While you're refocusing on stuff inside you're effectively distracted from the traffic context around you. Your brain takes longer to process an abstract 2d view of a side view mirror perspective than simply looking through a mirror.

The only way I can see screens safely replacing wing and rear view mirrors is if the displays are fitted with adaptive diopter lenses tracking your eye position and creating a convincing simulation of distance to subjects.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Amphigory posted:

I've test driven a car with video camera side mirrors and it's loving horrible

The lack of sense of depth and the screen locations make it a very odd experience

I'm sure you'd eventually get used to it, but it is a much poorer experience than actual mirrors

I mean digital rearview is friggin' great in vans when there's no back windows. And I don't feel like I have any sense of depth with side mirrors, especially the "objects are closer than they appear" passenger side. If they stuck really nice screens on the inside of the car nearest to where the side mirrors would actually be, that'd be nice.

Like this stuff:

That's apparently a real thing, curved OLEDs. That company Gentex makes the digital rearview I used in the Bolt EV which was flawless.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Zero VGS posted:

I mean digital rearview is friggin' great in vans when there's no back windows. And I don't feel like I have any sense of depth with side mirrors, especially the "objects are closer than they appear" passenger side. If they stuck really nice screens on the inside of the car nearest to where the side mirrors would actually be, that'd be nice.

Like this stuff:

That's apparently a real thing, curved OLEDs. That company Gentex makes the digital rearview I used in the Bolt EV which was flawless.

Rearview mirrors serve no real purpose and if you have to use them you've adjusted your side mirrors incorrectly :colbert:

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Fixed cameras feeding into little screens is bad because you can't use parralax to be able to see "around" the things that obscuring other stuff you want to see. You never spotted something in your side mirror that was just out of your field of view, so you had to move your head a little to be able to see it properly? Not possible if you can't adjust where the camera is pointing.

I'm sure the cameras are fine for situations like the rear-vew "mirror" in a van with no back windows, but replacing the otherwise-fine mirrors with cameras and screens is whack.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anders posted:

Rearview mirrors serve no real purpose and if you have to use them you've adjusted your side mirrors incorrectly :colbert:

It’s better positioned than the visor mirror for applying makeup or sunscreen and for shaving.

Plus, it hides a dashcam and toll road transponder.

Useful thing, that rearview mirror.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cthulu Carl posted:

Ah, but the Dingo had five forward and five reverse gears, and a preselector gearbox so drivers could slam it into reverse while still going forward. And the driver's seat is canted inboard so he can see behind easier while tearing rear end in reverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbKBvG58ayk

I love quirky poo poo like the Dingo. And pretty much every WW2 British vehicle.

I'm reading "Burning Steel", Peter Hart's book about the 2nd Fife and Forfar Yeomanry tank unit, and in the pre-war section one of the tankies talks about the "Rolls-Royce armoured cars" they trained with. They could go backwards as fast as forwards, which the drivers always enjoyed. "We liked that if the battle wasn't going so well for you, you could just spin your seat the other way around and drive out of there."

That is, when they had something to train with. They were so badly equipped initially that they practised formation tactics by having groups of four guys run around close to each other, pretending to be a tank. Some other guys were lying in wait with a broomstick yelling "BANG!" and pretending to be anti-tank guns. "You always hoped your tank got hit, so you could sit down for a rest and a smoke."

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Zero VGS posted:

Like this stuff:

good god not everything needs to be a screen. also this dumb setup still has a camera sticking out the side quite a bit. Which makes sense because that's the angle you want that rear view to be, so I'm not really sure what you gain over just slapping a cheap mirror on there (it'll be less than 3%-6% anyway). Now you've got an expensive camera/curved oled combo, blasting more light into the car at night and having several points of potential failure, and all you've gained is that the view is a bit closer to you and doesn't shift parralax when your head moves. and maybe a slightly better mileage but I can't see it being worth this.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
If we want to reduce drag, why don't we put the car into a vvaaccuumm tube?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The thing that increases drag on my vehicle are the roof mounted .50 caliber machine guns and underbumper rifles but it's okay because that's just the life of an auto vigilante :cool:

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

ok, who's the artist?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Anders posted:

Spotting feds on your tail.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i've seen better illustrations than that personally

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Am I total loser?

- Elon's revelation

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

He might as well give it a shot, God knows everything else has failed.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Samovar posted:

I recommend hemlock.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

A DMT overdose would probably improve his posting

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I have no idea what is this supposed to illustrate.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Dwesa posted:

I have no idea what is this supposed to illustrate.

being homo is cringe and based

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

gay picnic defence posted:

A DMT overdose would probably improve his posting

A krokodil overdose would be even better

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Anders posted:

Look at this non-child haver who has obviously never experienced the joys of having to set-up an additional mirror so you can keep an eye on your child in their car seat*.

*= And the additional joy of having to adjust the mirror after you hit off the mirror when loading the child into their seat or the child decides to move the mirror themselves out of spit.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I would pay to watch Musk do ayahuasca

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

The answer is probably to put a wrap on the car as that would probably conceal the fingerprints and corrosion; however there are limits to the technology and it won't hide the fact you're driving a cybertruck unfortunately.

so you're saying there's room for disruption in this space? interesting. interesting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

standing next to his cbybrtvkk in the Red Rock Desert at sunset, raising his arms to the sky: I, I UHHHH Get i— well you know the interesting thing, uhhhh

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Songbearer posted:

The thing that increases drag on my vehicle are the roof mounted .50 caliber machine guns and underbumper rifles but it's okay because that's just the life of an auto vigilante :cool:

this game was so sick

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
kids on make fun of cybertruck driver and he goes on tirade about cyclists and people making fun of elon and uses homophobic slurs.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...db0cdf99abeab4&

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

kids on make fun of cybertruck driver and he goes on tirade about cyclists and people making fun of elon and uses homophobic slurs.

Jealous snowflakes DESTROYED by Based Cybertruck Owner 😂😂

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Good for the cyclists to deescalate.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Samovar posted:

He’s saying he did ayahuasca and it led him to the revelation that he is the savior of humanity, from the woke mind virus.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

kazil posted:

Good for the cyclists to deescalate.

Yeah, good job. That incelwagon owner sounds even more of a small overcompensating dick in comparison to them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LifeSunDeath posted:

nice to see elon fanboys have just as fragile an ego as he does lmao

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Anders posted:

I'm from Boston, I subscribe to this philosophy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0

Steadiman posted:

good god not everything needs to be a screen. also this dumb setup still has a camera sticking out the side quite a bit. Which makes sense because that's the angle you want that rear view to be, so I'm not really sure what you gain over just slapping a cheap mirror on there (it'll be less than 3%-6% anyway). Now you've got an expensive camera/curved oled combo, blasting more light into the car at night and having several points of potential failure, and all you've gained is that the view is a bit closer to you and doesn't shift parralax when your head moves. and maybe a slightly better mileage but I can't see it being worth this.

That camera stalk is probably 5% as much drag as a normal mirror (so in other words it slows the car by 0.3% instead of 6%), it is well worth doing. And there's no need for mirror parallax if you have an actual wide view like that screen shows. And that OLED doesn't blast nearly as much light into my eyes as "lifted pickup with 8000K HID bulbs" which is usually what I'm putting up with.

I totally respect that some don't care or prefer the tried-and-true, but getting 5% more range on an EV (or paying for 5% less battery) is a big deal. I just want the law to change sooner than later so there's a choice.

How good can normal side-mirrors even be if my boyfriend changes lanes with his patented "hope nobody's there" strategy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We are still building coal plants and people are worried about mirror drag

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Elviscat posted:

Anyone remember when this thread decided the trvck wouldn't have seatbelts based on nothing? Good times, thank you Mr Musk.

Remember when this thread was outraged by the concept of one pedal driving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

MrQwerty posted:

That picture is as real as you believe it to be