Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

By popular demand posted:

Friends the gauntlet had been thrown and we must to the struggle!
I'm personally leaning towards a "Well you poo poo your pants!" Defence as the best retort.

https://twitter.com/OfSymbols/status/1589392792664813570

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Something like 20% of my stock portfolio was Tesla
I sold it all yesterday
:unsmigghh:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

About how much money can Leon get out of Tesla stock sales before he goes under 50% ownership? Obviously the large sell offs themselves would affect the price, but let's just go with the current price for argument's sake.

Before Elon bought twitter, he had ~25% ownership of Tesla
Then he needed to offload another $4b so now he's at like 18% ownership, by my quick and cruddy math

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

stealie72 posted:

A few aggrieved programmers having oopsies can do a shitton of damage very quickly, right?

Two-three weeks ago I would've said "No, Twitter is pretty big with a serious engineering team, they've got a lot of rails around that"

However, I've watched them flip switches for three different types of checkmarks in prod multiple times over the course of a single day, so I'm pretty sure just about anyone could just hop in and change their AWS credentials or something

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

quote:

Asked what it felt like to be a “media mogul” after buying Twitter he said: “It is a medium as opposed to media"
OH MY GOD this loving dweeb

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Jack built this in a cave!

WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593415171149791232

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/HaysKali/status/1593425305464541186

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593450469212377088?s=20&t=Ya4p28ToIJtAZcPsl4by6g

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

So how many staff ticked 'no' on that Hardcore Twitter form? Enough to close the offices?

See
There was no "no" to click
You either clicked "yes" or you left it alone

And nobody who's left at twitter actually knows how many people they fired yesterday
lol

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I tried to do a dump of my data
It required 2FA

The verification text never came

lol.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Butterwagon posted:

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1593649533585543169

Show me your good code. You know, the best stuff. Only the most salient lines. For very important reasons.

https://twitter.com/RottenTunaGames/status/1593653891333324800?s=20&t=FbEpZL_47W7JOtHHXHJIwA

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

So I know absolutely nothing about coding. How hard is it to pick out 10 screenshots that show the most important lines of code over the past 6 months. Cause that seems really really dumb

Maybe
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYBE in like, the late 90s-early 2000s you could have done that

In TYOOL 2022 there's nothing to screenshot, especially for something like twitter
Nobody is like, proud of code, because you don't really ... code anymore, sort of
You're just linking up libraries and systems

Elon is asking a contractor to show off their best 2x4s

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I don't want to link Dilbert, because gently caress Scott Adams, but these two strips have been lodged in my brain since I was single-digits old and they are very salient right now

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

ronya posted:

allegedly the whole emails:

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-remaining-twitter-coders-engineers-email-2022-11

crash course in scaling problems incoming

Me, after spending $44 billion to buy a company and eliminating 90% of the headcount:

"I'd like to understand our tech stack"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Well, that’s not always true. Boomers love to go on Facebook and type in all caps about kids these days. Next door full of people calling the cops on black people. And a lot of much smaller forums across the internet like 4chan.

This innocuous nothing post I made on nextdoor is now over 100 replies from boomers who assume every software dev is 20, gargling trump's balls, yelling about minimum wage, etc

Nextdoor owns.

e:
oops I forgot this one

Sockser fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 21, 2022

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Thank you!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

PITY BONER posted:

I don't understand their responses. It's like they've been waiting days to unload strawmen they've cooked up in their brains but are too scared to do so on other sites. Losee seems to think you work at Twitter. Alexy is on an entirely different planet. Kinzler is...lmao.

God drat, these people are dumb as gently caress. This is the same kind of poo poo that got me to stop using Facebook. I can't handle the stupidity.

In a week or two when this thread dies down, I plan on just posting "woke" and seeing what happens

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Look, it's been firmly established that free speech is when you give Elon money

Nowhere in the story did Hunter Biden give Elon money, Twitter did not give Elon Money, the Biden campaign did not give Elon money, nobody gave Elon money

qed first amendment violation

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I pre-ordered a cybertruck as soon as they were available. They were supposed to be rolling them out like, mid-2021
And I know that covid done hosed a lot of things up, but three other companies have launched electric trucks since, a lot more are only a year out, and the Cybertruck still looks like a big dumb dumpy piece of poo poo with no expected release date

And that video reminded me to go get my pre-order money back
Thanks for that, thread.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Congrats on your successful eye surgery that obviously happened after mid-2021

It was, at the time, the only electric truck that looked like it was coming out any time soon, and from a company that had a pretty good reputation on their electric vehicles. I genuinely expected at least some revisions to the styling. I only really needed it to be 10% less fuckin stupid looking and, given no other competitors in the space, I'd have been at least mostly on-board.

But it still looks dumb as gently caress, and now there's cool electric trucks that are actually what I want already on the market/coming soon that both look good and are cheap and won't run over children unless I tell them to. I could deal with a car that looked stupid as gently caress if it met my needs. Right now I've got a car and a small pickup, and only having one car that fit both needs would have been great, even if I was driving around a big triangle.

But now there's options that aren't a big triangle

Like this beautiful motherfucker that will probably end up being vaporware

Sockser fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Who is saying this?

Many are saying

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1629949062777819136

Imagine what it would feel like to be this loving fragile

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

bobjr posted:

I've seen that a few times since remote work became common during the pandemic, where people would claim some people are working only a little at one job while having other jobs.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense, either these people can work multiple jobs, or someone would realize they aren't actually working at their job and they would likely lose it.

A friend of mine has found himself in a cushy enough position with a mass exodus of people from the company that he only needs to put in like 10% effort to look like a superstar and spends the rest of his day doing sports betting

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I went ahead and did the legwork

This bit from the Imply Data suit I found pretty funny

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I don't see the business case for racism honestly (god I cannot believe I'm saying those words in that order but I'm sure there's some prospectus or memo in some large organization that says basically the same thing). There's way too much risk involved for a declining market share, and there's no profit in racism (anymore)

counterpoint go woke go broke checkmate libs

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Steadiman posted:

Tactical athlete

https://i.imgur.com/HGbknM5.mp4

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

how do you know ppl dont use the truck beds? is there a study or poll or something?

It's referenced in here-
https://www.thedrive.com/news/26907/you-dont-need-a-full-size-pickup-truck-you-need-a-cowboy-costume

I have seen the actual survey results but can't find it right now.

quote:

According to Edwards’ data, 75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never). Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less. And a full 35 percent of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed, its ostensible raison d’ętre—once a year or less.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My company very quickly and loudly spun up an NFT platform last summer and then very quietly mothballed and never talked about it again

Until the most recent all hands last week where the CEO basically said that Elon tweet verbatim

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

So uh, did Elon break every link on twitter now? All you get is the following:

And the image API too!

When he said you had to pay for API access, that meant everyone, including twitter itself

e:
He also broke the API documentation lmao

https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

So why aren't any of these website breaking updates being pushed to a development server before going live to millions of people? I imagine an error like this would've been extremely easy to spot.

Odds are good that, in a normal development environment, this is just a flag in a config somewhere that need to be flipped, and maybe a server restart

However odds are good that, considering how Elon has been running things, there is no flag and they did in fact just push this live because DADDY NEEDS MONEY

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Calling a website "brittle" is so fuckin

The dude doesn't understand anything

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

big black turnout posted:

Already gone please screenshot tweets people

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

repiv posted:

the best part of this is that halli's salary was effectively an instalment plan for the buyout of his company, he's owed that money regardless of whether he was doing any work

now instead of paying him for the work he could do they have to pay him to do nothing at all

Elon isn't paying for rent, software licenses, or the promised severance pay to everyone he laid off
I doubt he's gonna fork out for this

I mean,
courts will rule in favor of honoring the contract

but if Elon can drive to value of Twitter to zero and declare the company bankrupt, then he doesn't have to pay anyone,
and that's why he's a brilliant entrepreneur

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo this is so pathetic

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Me, when I definitely didn't gently caress up

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I live in a state where the DMV is good, I guess, because I either do things online or I go there and it's a 5 minute in and out trip

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Found in another thread:

https://twitter.com/melhuman/status/1610707061561765888

I checked the website for myself to confirm that yes, that is the claim they are officially making. Haha, Christ, I don't even fully trust this thing to be able to drive over a particularly large speed bump.

no no no, listen

It can't pull near-infinite mass
It can pull near infinite mass

And the universe, which is made of matter, which has mass, is infinite
The cybertruck occupies space within said infinite universe, and it can pull things

ipso facto, the cybertruck can pull near infinite mass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

kazil posted:

Get 3 computers and label them #1, #2 and #4 :elon::elon:

Looking into it.