Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Ironically, General Motors is expanding work-from-home to even include some factory workers.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2022/05/24/gm-factory-employees-work-remote/9894537002/?gnt-cfr=1
(Paywall)

Detroit Free Press posted:

General Motors is allowing some salaried factory employees across many of its factories in the United States more flexibility to work remotely.

The automaker confirmed to the Detroit Free Press [on] Monday that it is conducting some pilot programs in its factories

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

therobit posted:

When was the last time that what the law actually says mattered to a politician in Texas?

Never when announcing what they intend to do.

Probably about 60 or 70% of the time the courts and bureaucrats decide to stick with the laws as written, tho.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

He's already given his children at least 50% perfect genetics what else could they need to get ahead in life?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

But have you considered that he's making a rocket named Starship? Clearly with a name like that it's capable of doing direct flights to Mars instead of waiting for efficient launch windows.

I mean, it's named Starship!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

This might be the only (very loosely) good idea he's had for Twitter, and he was inspired by a random reply guy in the middle of the night on a Friday after he'd already bought the company.

And yes, it's the self-selected-slur-slider but at least it's a novel concept for content moderation.

I really hope Jeffrey has a plan to catch some of the exploring market share as re-regs and new regs.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Hmmmmmmm, $10 for a forums account on a dead forum, or $20 to get 10,000 suckers to fall for my scam?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

buglord posted:

Since elon musk isn’t mad does anyone know where that one thing “and make sure they know I wasn’t mad” came from? I desire to see it even if I definitely butchered it.

I'm 90% sure it's a dril tweet

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Entorwellian posted:

Yeah his parents are rich and he as failed at pretty much everything he's done, so he gets unlimited chances in life.
I knew him when he was a kid on ventrillo and as vocal member on nma-fallout like 20-25 years ago, a fallout fansite, and he was one of the worst posters on there. His name was Rex/Sol Invictus and he was insulted and ridiculed frequently.
He went on to make hellgate-guru, the second biggest fansite for Hellgate: London. I remember he had his picture taken with a bunch of booth babes and models + a luxury sports car and we were all making fun of him for it, asking how much he had to pay for them to stand next to him that long. The game didn't do too well and he ended up shutting down his site. He got very drunk and started crying about how no one likes him and how he is a failure. I kind of stopped talking to him after that.

Cue Gamergate, Milo, Andy Ngo and now Elon. He fails upwards.

It *would* be interesting to know who is parents are, though.

Jesus christ, imagine making the second most popular fansite for a flop like that

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Now, I'm just a simple country poster from nowhere special, but it seems to me that "stepping down as head" merely implies relinquishing day-to-day control (perhaps in order to fend off the attack on his position at Tesla) while still retaining both "strategic executive direction" for the company and "moderator actions" over people he doesn't like.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

If I had the wealth to stay at home and read white papers all day and the influence to call up any professor in the English speaking world to answer technical questions about those papers, I'd for sure be much more scientifically literate than elon is.

The fact that he's so incredibly bad at scientific and engineering concepts is proof that he's fundamentally stupid and does not care to know more.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Of course it's the English who coined these phrases :rolleyes:

I always figured that it was because bulls charged forward with their whole body, while bears pull back and swipe.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Just want to reinforce something here:

Teslas have never had Lidar. If you want a car with onboard Lidar, buy a Cadillac.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

priznat posted:

I just watched Glass Onion and was impressed that Rian Johnson had clocked Elon as a complete moron well before it became absolutely blindingly obvious judging by when he would have written the script.

Rian if you post here show yourself

Entirely possible that Rian met Elon at some Hollywood event and had to listen to that idiot blather on about his star wars opinions

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

What's the floor here? The actual physical assets, the raw material contracts, the patents, and the brand name probably have a total value in the single digit or low double digit billions.

So that's like below $10 per share, but probably more than $2?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

funeral home DJ posted:

I think the remaining shareholders will be pushing to reverse Elon and the Board's "we get to do what we want lmao gently caress the shareholders" rule.

I'll put in a buy for Tesla at a buck though, I'd be thrilled to wait until some dipshits do the GameStop Meme Stock bullshit and pump it back up to $200 for absolutely zero reason.

I really honestly think that it can't get below $3 without some overseas auto group like BYD or Tata or Vinfast buying it out for the US/Euro brand name. So if you're going to make a super low buy order, make it at like $3.99

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

How about the ratios on a company like Panasonic or Honda? If we're talking actual objective value of the tesla, it's probably centered around their battery/power teams

P/E
Honda: 7.9
Panasonic: 12.4
Samsung: 9.2
LG: 3.9
ASUS: 6.6
Dell: 16.5

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

She hasn't done a thing wrong, she fights for a good cause. My only disagreement with her is her stance on nuclear energy, but regardless she is a net positive for the planet and the species.

And would still be wrong since its a stark condemnation of toxic males.

The worst thing you can do to someone is call them wrong.

They hate scolds

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Imagine not recognizing one of the most famous scenes in movie sequel history

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

https://youtu.be/qZq7fW6ftlU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It can pull near infinite mass, but only 14,000 lbs.

So I guess the infinite mass is when you're in 0 gravity?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Philthy posted:

cybertruck is the dumbest looking thing ever and i dont know how it even made it that far without some execs head exploding out of frustration on how unbelievably stupid it looks

You just know that some design guys came to Alan with like 12 different looks for a Tesla truck and he said no to everything and sketched this triangle monster on the back of one of their sheets and told them to "do that"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

slagmatic posted:

Doesn't LIdar typically require the goofy looking roof based equipment, like Waymo has? I wouldn't be surprised if Elon's primary motivation to avoid Lidar is based on aesthetics, and he ignored the advice of his engineers so the cars could look "cool".

It's shrunk a lot in the last 5-8 years.
There are cars with onboard Lidar right now and they're pretty much unnoticeable.

Tho you probably do have a point about him not liking the aesthetics a few years ago when he rejected Lidar.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

So they just changed the name of hyperloop from a high speed rail train to a loving Tesla bus station?

No, this is a classic example of musk having a tiny vocabulary and no imagination, thus the projects he proposed as a distraction to kill regional high speed rail and the projects he proposed as a distraction to kill local public transit have similar names: "hyperloop" and "the loop"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I thought people were big on attack on titan

It starts off with a neat premise but swerves deeper and deeper into fascism with each story arc and plot twist.

Of course, a story arc can take a year to tell in a monthly format. So being into it in 2013 is a way different look than being into it in 2020.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It probably has to do with intent:

"I'm taking my friend's car, she'll be fine with it because we're besties and she always has said yes in the past"

Vs

"Hey a car with the keys in it, time to roll"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Hazo posted:

Wait what? I watched the first few episodes when it came out and was mildly amused by the B plot of shrunken captive humans, but I figured it was like a one episode thing. That keeps going throughout the whole series? That sounds awful.

It is the worst part of the show and there's way too much of it. They show up in every episode. Sometimes they have whole episodes of just the wall

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

yeah all the chairs at work are getting old and everyone treats them like they're bullshit, but it's like actually these are super duper expensive old workstation chairs that still all work perfectly and feel good, and someone is going to bargain them for like $20 a piece at our auction; especially the buyers who know that they were used in a non-leaded soldering factory and are silver contaminated

The silver stops them from getting funky smells

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

can someone translate this to non-virgin plz

Genius, cutthroat, moron

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

12 years ago, and it's a reupload

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

what was the honey badger tweet?

Some asskissing sycophant remembering a joke Elon made at a party in 2017.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Even if the "he told HR he couldn't type" bit is true, this man knows that speech to text is a real thing, right?

Actually, he genuinely might not.

More specifically, speech to text would be useful for a high-level manager and design guy who is running a team to send emails and write up documents, but not for a coder who needs to use a lot of special characters.

So once Elon starts making huge cuts, all of a sudden this guy who was in charge of a team is expected to start coding again.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Most people who buy homeopathic poo poo have never actually heard or read the theory. It's intentionally confusing because if you actually explain it then even a real idiot can see that it doesn't make any sense. So they just put the "active" ingredient in big letters on the front of the jar and then act like 10X or 100C or whatever actually means something.

The average person working at Vitamin Cottage doesn't know what "25C Arnica (Homeopathic)" actually means, just that there's a list somewhere that says arnica is good for bruising.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Mirrors are really bad for aerodynamics, which is king when it comes to highway efficiency, all the European brands have at least experimened with cameras. Not that it matters for the cybertruck since it's a giant pile of dogshit already.

Edit: requiring actual mirrors instead of cameras is one of the few places where North American automotive design regulations are superior to European

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Ahhh, but you see. He didn't just buy Twitter like a loser. He created x. He's a creator and a founder, not just a money guy. This is very important to emphasize that x is a transformation into a new thing that he made and nobody else.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Cold poptarts are largely flavorless. This may be an advantage depending on your preferences and the specific type.

Presumably a poptart eaten still frozen would be nothing but texture.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Celexi posted:

also is that roof capable of supporting that weight and the load from wind?

You think it's actually attached to the roof? Like with anchors?
All sandbags, baby!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

YF-23 posted:

At what point does the landlord decide that the billionaire manchild hosed with their property too much and evicts him?

In this market?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I hope the inspector comes back with a warrant, the police, & some union IATSE riggers and forces the thing to be dismantled safely.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

He's on K because he asked a doctor to prescribe him K. There's a whole lot of other drugs he could have tried first but this is what he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Songbearer posted:

20 years ago I was out in the garden with my digital camera taking pictures of flowers and insects 'cause I love bugs. A little bee was buzzing around doing what bees do so I took a photo. I really liked it, so I showed my dad and he asked me to send it him so he could have it on his computer. Anyway, a few days later, he asks me to come downstairs because he's got something for me and it turns out he got the media people at his job to print out a big high quality version of this photo and he had it framed. He asked if he could hang it up in his room and it stayed there until he passed away, ever since then it's been hanging up in my bedroom.

The flower it had landed on was one of dozens it could have chosen. That bee did not know its photo had been taken and my interest in it did not matter to its existence. I don't know where that bee went or how long it survived for afterwards. It merely did what it was supposed to do and then carried on and I thought it was beautiful.

20 years is an unthinkable span of time for a worker bee whose lives are measured in weeks at best and for the flower who, come the end of summer, would have also done its job and withered away to nothing. It has not yet been 10 years since I lost my dad, but that simple act of him printing that picture is one of my fondest memories. In that thin rectangle of wood and paper and glass is a memory inside a memory of things that lived in this world, lived their little lives exactly as they wanted to and somehow formed this little monument to love that I have carried with me for what is now the majority of my life. My dad, the bee, the flower and me - tiny elements of reality that bring me back from some of my darkest moments when I think about just how wonderfully they all came together.

Elon would probably take one look at this and tell me that he could do better, then AI generate a picture and throw mine away.

Now I can't state outright what Elon thinks at any given time because, frankly, I think the way I experience reality would be completely alien to him and vice versa. I could not be happier about this. Every time he has presented to the public his best self, even with people around him to make sure that he is shown in the best light possible, he has come off as one of the most flippant, two-dimensional, incurious and self-absorbed assholes I have ever witnessed. I never thought I could hate someone so viscerally especially when there are quite obviously so many more people who are without a doubt far worse and much more dangerous than him but in a weird, hosed-up way, that makes him even MORE hateable because his pettiness is just so small time. There are no big pieces on the board being played here, you cannot look at him and say with all your heart that this is a man with a clear and strong agenda: He is a nasty little goblin of a man whose ambition lies on the same level as a child pulling the legs off insects. If something displeases him or irritates him it becomes a plaything to kick around until it's too bruised or broken to register on his radar and then it's off to the next whim, ephemeral as anything.

The biggest joke of his existence and insult to ours is that his infinite resources are entirely wasted on his inability to create anything. He wants so badly to be a visionary but he cannot see beyond himself and therein lies the path to madness for everyone who has to deal with his bullshit. A frustration elemental whose ideas are so fundamentally flawed that even people unfamiliar with the particulars of his focus are able to spot the flaws and mistakes before they even happen.

He's kind of a poo poo, I think I'm trying to say.

This is beautiful, you should submit it as an op-ed to the New York Times.