Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

But what if Elon takes away my blue check? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

I hope Elon just turns off the servers and deletes the entire platform.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

stratdax posted:

Lots of coping in this thread. Elon's gonna buy twitter, Trump will get re-platformed, the fascists will be doubly emboldened, twitter will push people towards right wing content and completely suppress anything humane or leftist at all, and twitter will look like /pol/ before long. Get ready for a lot more Marjorie Taylor Greene's in public office.

I kinna doubt it will go that far before other tech companies push back on it. Weren't there several people who tried to start free speech platforms and they immediately got banned on the app stores, dropped by hosting cos, etc?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Kale posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1519415674111672325

Unlock the full potential of the site. Upset those people Elon :lol:

I cant wait for the twitter board to final make some comments that they've been asked for. Like hey I hear you are in the business of upsetting people as your business model for the ideal social media site, can you elaborate?

pretty sure their one and only job is to make as much money for the shareholders as possible so they don’t give a gently caress

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Looks like deal to buy Twitter is on hold because Twitter has claimed less than 5% of users are bots/spam accounts and Musk wants that to be investigated or something.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1525049369552048129

https://apnews.com/article/elon-musk-technology-social-media-64b8534f53aa0213fbfd2245bacd6109

Meanwhile a study back in 2017 showed 15% of twitter's active accounts are bots and they called that a conservative estimate. I would guess it's gone up a lot given the big advances in NLP and text generation. Ironically some of which is developed at OpenAI (a company Musk helped found)

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/new-study-says-almost-15-percent-of-twitter-accounts-are-bots/

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

The best outcome imo would be Musk backs out of the deal and twitter goes bankrupt and shuts down permanently. Then Musk gets personality sued by every shareholder.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Solus posted:

Where do i apply to become a hardcore street fighter for Elon

This is the place.

First up for your interview, destroy this tesla as much as possible in 40 seconds using your best combinations and special attacks.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

he's a notorious micromanager who likes to walk around bothering people, asking questions, making demands, and insta-firing anyone who displeases him

those kinds of people absolutely hate remote work policies

hard to have a management style like this over Skype

lol this is amazing. I mean, not for the employees but still hilarious.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He can't actually be president since he isn't a birthright citizen.

But what if he built a robot that ran for president and it was under his command?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Jestery posted:

Lol Elon reading altered carbon and thinking

":sickos:"

every single billionaire on Earth is thinking that

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

run on sentience posted:

Does he actually have any STEM skills/experience or involvement in the technologies his companies develop? Or does he just take all the credit? I know I could google this but I'm not interested in the truth. I want the goon truth.

He has bachelors degrees in physics and economics and coded zip2, his first web company, so a little? :shrug: He’s definitely not doing any serious science at tesla, spaceX or his other companies though if that’s what you mean.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Heath posted:

Just ban him on sight the second he proves who he is and he will just keep banging out new regs. instant revenue

He’ll just offer jeffery a billion dollars then ban everyone.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Because Musk is demanding the bot/spam data, the banks financing the deal are going to demand it as well so that could kill the deal right there.

And probably any future financing, not just for twitter, but for all social media will require in depth disclosures on bot and spam activity. And hopefully a much closer look at the companies overall.

Want to see this house of cards fall. :twisted:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Klyith posted:

lmao every time the emerald mine story gets retold it gets better

I got no love for musk but people gotta stop with this poo poo

But what if Musk is secretly assembling Tesla batteries in his emerald mines using an army of child slaves?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

steinrokkan posted:

Impossible, Musk has bred the child slaves working in his emerald death mines into a race of mole people who are deathly afraid of fire so they are useless in dealing with Teslas

He can’t keep getting away with this!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Countdown until musk takes a stake in Truth Social.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Deptfordx posted:

I wouldn't get too excited at the prospects of a show. 5 years is considered swift for one of these megacorp X vs megacorp Y cases, and nobody would bat an eyelid at 10. And that's assuming the almost certain actual resolution of the case isn't a settlement whose details are NDA'd up to the eyebrows.

It’s going to be real fun when we (and twitter’s investors) learn through the lawsuit that 75% of twitter users are bots or shills. Musk will probably start behaving increasingly erratic as well as the lawsuit drags on.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Klyith posted:

Not quite, the due diligence is stuff that happens before you sign the deal.

So by waiving due diligence, what that means is "I will take Twitter's word as true about everything they say about the business, rather than get their data and books to run the numbers myself while we're still negotiating".

But if hypothetically Twitter was super lying about something, for example the % of bots, that is not covered by waiving due diligence. Twitter in that case would have done a bad thing and be in violation of the merger deal (in which Twitter said "these numbers are truthful" and Elon said "I accept that you're telling the truth").

Twitter would then have to pay the $1 billion to Elon, and also get hosed up by the SEC for lying to their shareholders.

Which is all very unlikely. One of the people in this deal has a history of lying to their shareholders, and it ain't Twitter.

Did he waive due diligence though? Sounded like twitter was refusing to provide any of the internal user data until after he agreed to the deal and started making threats. I would guess twitter has been lying for years about bot and shill type accounts.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Thanks for the clarification everyone. It’s going to be interesting to follow in court and watch Elon and twitter hopefully both go up in flames.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

mysterious frankie posted:

Dunno if anyone in the thread knows enough to answer these two questions, but:

Are the plugs keyed to a universal standard, so that no matter what you buy you can charge anywhere, and are the charging stations common enough now that you could travel cross country in a EV?

Also how much of the power running these things is the product of turning fossil fuels into electricity somewhere upstream where I don't have to see?

Heres a good video on co2 emissions of ev vs gasoline powered cars including production of the car and battery. There’s also an interesting chart showing the cleanest type of car by state (ev, plugin, hybrid) and even in west virginia it’s better to buy something other than a gas powered car. He also specifically calls out tesla sports cars and their massive batteries as not being good for the environment compared to other evs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhtiPefVzM

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Yaldabaoth is a pretty good troll account; hooks a lot of fish.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

I was kinna pissed when Elon blew up the moon for better reception on his starlink satellites tbh

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Maybe Elon is one of those “pick up artists” who just asks every women he sees if they want to have sex with him.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

William Bear posted:

This is pretty funny.

https://twitter.com/alexdemling/status/1557221632837505025

Hyperloop has always mystified me, because even if it worked exactly as described with no issues, it would still be less efficient than a normal subway or train.

Now we know why.

I doubt this. The high speed rail was already approved and funded but got scaled back by a lot because of skyrocketing costs and mismanagement.

This sounds more like some idiotic puppet master type excuse for his failure with hyperloop.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Nuts and Gum posted:

Gotta train the ML algorithms what crushing a child feels like before it can avoid them

ML algorithms need millions of examples to be trained to a high degree of accuracy.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Look, no one is arguing that the man isn’t a comedic genius.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Pretty sure Elon is going to be forced to buy Twitter and it will immediately go to $100/share and he will be richer than ever and hailed as the greatest business genius of all time.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

The metric definition seems pretty important to me since advertisers are paying some amount of money assuming their ads will be seen by a specific amount of people in their target demographic. If twitter is intentionally lying about the actual number of people seeing ads wouldn’t that be fraud?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

goatface posted:

1 million people.

Assume they're at it like rabbits and half the million are deformed Martian children.

As current large rockets can seat ~4 to transfer orbit, lets be generous and call it 5, that would require 100,000 launches, discounting fuel, supplies, losses etc. I make it 10,350 days until 31 Dec 2050, let's knock off about 6 months for final group transit and 6 months off the start for them to announce their super new colony building plan and transit vessels. Call it 10,000 days.

10 super-heavy a day, every day.

Needs elevators imo. Good ones.

Nah, we’ll pack em in those ships like Martian sardines in cryosleep. I think we can get it done in 100 launches easy.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

In order to board the ship to Mars, you must let Elon impregnate you.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

laughing my rear end off right now

Zatko, the ex-Twitter security guy who's now backing Musk's lawsuit, signed a NDA with Twitter just days before he filed the whistleblower complaint

he brought in his lawyers to accuse them of wrongful termination and complain about loss of pay, and negotiated a $7 million settlement which included a NDA preventing him from publicly disparaging Twitter or revealing anything from his time there

the NDA had exceptions for whistleblower complaints and testifying in front of Congress, and that's exactly what he's going to be doing on Tuesday

https://www.wsj.com/articles/twitter-agreed-to-pay-whistleblower-7-million-in-june-settlement-11662661116

twitter's also going to be putting the merger to a general shareholder vote on Tuesday. it's gonna be a busy day

EDIT: also, Musk is claiming this as yet another basis for terminating the deal, claiming that it would have required his consent and that Twitter didn't get his consent before doing it

:lol: that’s kind of an amazing way to gently caress over twitter

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Atlas Hugged posted:

Like recognizing the value of PayPal and knowing when to get in and get out was pretty smart. Obviously he was only able to be the largest shareholder because of wealth he already had, but plenty of people at that time were squandering fortunes on tech they didn't really understand, but Musk got that one right.

He was the largest shareholder because of a previous tech company zip2 he and his brother founded and later sold. Then starting spacex and taking stakes in tesla and solar city. I think it’s fair to say Musk was smart in some way 20 years ago with the business moves he made. But I guess being ultra rich and having tech bros worship you turns you into an idiot after a while.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Klyith posted:

He is not, in fact, serious about that.

This is just a game he plays on twitter. He throws out something like that that gets attention just so he can reply to random stans and make them all horny for him. That's how he made a posse of twitter nerds who fight to the death for his attention. It's the same thing as a twitter egirl, but he uses it for stock manipulation instead of amazon wish lists.

(And lest this appear as if I think he's playing 5d chessmaster here, no, this isn't some massive brain move. Elon is a pretty smart guy who has been deluded by success into believing that he's a comic book super-genius.)

Yeah I think it's mainly for pumping up his stock portfolio. I'm willing to bet there are thousands of algorithmic trading bots that trade exclusively off his tweets.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

I’m almost positive Elon watched the movie Ex Machina a dozen times and bought Twitter because he believes he can create an AI from twitter data.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Release all the DMs before closing up shop Elon.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Musk actually has a team of high profile tech and finance people advising him on these decisions lol. Also Musk apparently plans to offer tiers of moderation, e.g R rated twitter vs PG rated twitter. And yes, I’m sure a XXX rated twitter as well.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Klyith posted:

No, and no.

Not exactly:

1. I have no idea why he started down this road to begin with, but it definitely wasn't the jet thing. Anyone can make elonjetwatch.com to put out his private plane movements, banning a twitter account doesn't fix that. He's a twitter addict in general. Like the dude doesn't just make tweets like most celebs. He reads enough of the rando garbage to reply to people.

He made the offer to *buy* twitter because his initial move -- to buy stock and get on the board of directors -- got shut down. It was a billionaire baby being denied candy and throwing a tantrum.

Why did he want to be on twitter's board? Beats me. The take I saw a long time ago that made sense was that he has been fighting with the SEC about tweets for years, such that the SEC had told him "don't tweet about your companies without legal approval". And he hated that, because twitter addict. So the idea on this blog was that buying twitter would be an end-around for that: if he owns twitter, telling him not to tweet would be directly harmful to his ownership of twitter. He'd tell the SEC to gently caress off, and then go back to pumping his tesla stocks via legally-questionable tweets. Big win for Elon!

Nothing he's done since then matches that 5d chess explanation so I'm kinda doubtful it was really the plan. But maybe that was the plan at the start, but he's totally forgotten the playbook.

2. The main thing that made him change his mind was the stock market, particularly tech stocks and tesla, taking a huge dive after he signed the offer. The $54.20 wasn't just just an overpay but a big overpay, and tesla stock going down made it twice as bad. His loans are secured by his tesla stock -- when tesla goes down he has to put more stock in.

tl;dr it's not about getting owned on twitter, or at least not just about that

I’m not sure this is right. He did have an offer to be on the Board after he bought 9% of the company and turned it down. I think bc if he took the seat it would have limited how much of the company he could buy and limited his powers over the company.

Also it’s hard to find info on the actual structure of the deal. Several sources say musk paid for 2/3 of the company and the other 1/3 is debt backed by twitters own assets. However other articles have mentioned some of Musks advisors as equity partners so :shrug:

Either way, paying that much for twitter seems like a huge mistake. Especially when your first week is spent making it even less valuable.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Any coders know how to make the blue checks show up?? Help, my company is dying!!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Unperson_47 posted:

If I had a billion dollars, no one would ever hear from my dumb rear end.

edit: in before someone offers me a billion to save everyone from my bad posts

It’s like these billionaires today don’t even know how to be rich properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Banks who financed the deal are having a fire sale on the debt lol. Musk should just buy it himself.