Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Very, very firmly in the Howard Hughes phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

DaveWoo posted:

Or, y'know, he might just have been a Republican all along
He's absolutely getting crazier than years ago.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

Tech-wise, everything SpaceX does is stuff that NASA and space contractors thought up 50 years ago.

The problem is that NASA's budgetary outlook was not looking great 50 years ago, so they didn't really have the money to put any of it into practice. Without the space race, Congress wasn't going to fund top-tier rocket work, so we ended up with a bunch of half-assed compromises, many of which ended up costing more in the long run.

Between Elon's personal wealth and the fact that Congress is eager to fund space privatization, SpaceX has had the opportunity to actually develop that tech.

Though even that much is still way more innovative than Boring Company's strategy of buying an undersized tunnel borer and spending the rest of the money on lobbying civic officials.
There's a problem with people who know absolutely nothing about space trying to talk about space.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

amazing this comment went by with only one LOL.

lmao
lmao (at your post, not his)

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Regrettable posted:

Probably whatever caused 5 of them to explode.
What are the other 3?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

RDM posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/1593144267236835330

Everyone who dislikes my posting has now resigned from your jobs. Inform your respective HRs immediately.
LOL!

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Sanctum posted:

Another great article from thealtlantic :rolleyes: They've really been dragging their reputation through the mud lately.

Same vibe as "sure he's a racist but at least he's honest about being racist!" :haw: So the author hates Elon but an editor must have changed the headline to sound pro-musk for engagement :confused:
What reputation?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

That was a joke. There's literally only 2. CRS-7 and AMOS-6.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

rotinaj posted:

Why are you splitting hairs about whether a full-fledged rocket blew up on the launchpad vs it exploding when it crashes into the ocean vs parts of the rocket catastrophically failing

It go boom in all cases
Because none of that happened?
Flailing around about a "failure" when a prototype testbed designed to explode exploded in a successful test just outs you as being way out of your element.
edit: did you not notice that was nypost article?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

rotinaj posted:

https://www.space.com/every-spacex-starship-explosion-lessons-learned

I was half reading while doing poo poo at work, but here’s a different article with multiple unintentional explosions, crash landings, and failures

You are trying extremely hard to be technically correct and i do not get why you are defending spacex over this

They have had things explode
No, you just have no idea. You're not gonna win this because you're just guessing and flailing. I follow this stuff just about every day since 2012. On SA probably only illectro knows more about SpaceX than me, but he doesn't post.

Regrettable posted:

You literally just quoted a post with an article that lists 8 of his rockets that exploded.
No, you just don't know enough to know where the article hosed up.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

rotinaj posted:

This is weirdly both the oddest nonflex I have ever seen and also incredibly sad
:rolleyes: just take the L

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

“It was supposed to explode as a prototype” sounds like what Elon Musk is going to say about Twitter 1.0 when it goes down during the World Cup and never comes back up
Is doing bad rear end test flights a hoax?

Regrettable posted:

This is what you were responding to.

Q: Did 5 or more of them explode? Note: it does not matter how or why any of them exploded or whether it was on a mission or just testing.
Are you asking about any explosions? Because they've exploded many dozens of pieces of hardware in testing, especially engines. The last time NASA was actually accomplishing poo poo was back when they did the same.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

rotinaj posted:

Oh, this was all because you’re a spacex/elon cultist. I get it now.
What does elon have to do with spacex? No, really?

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I can tel you straight up I don’t trust a word any Musk run company says, especially in response to an explosion. Hoax is a strong word for company PR spin.

I would suggest maybe they’re doing “bad & rear end” work, sure.
So then don't? Go check with what the subject matter experts are saying about it. That's what I do.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

kazil posted:

Elon founded SpaceX and invented rocket ships
But thankfully he's not involved with the company much at all anymore. You can support humans flying into space and laugh at what a loving idiot musk is at the same time!

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Hey, you're talking to THE spaceX salutatorian of the forums, show some goddamned respect
Literally. Needs to be a hell of a lot more respect.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Hammerite posted:

dude it doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong about the actual topic of conversation, you can't make self-important sounding posts like this and not immediately become the target for everyone in the thread to dunk on. how do you not know this after being here 20 years
It was actually an indictment of SA, not really about me, but I'm bad with words. It's easy as gently caress to learn about this stuff, but some people just aren't able to

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol it isn’t an anything to do with SA, if you act that way in real life people will mock you even if it’s behind your back. Which I assume happens a lot to you
Oh well

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Bad thing related to SpaceX:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/nov/17/spacex-employees-file-unfair-labor-practice-charges-elon-musk

Hope to god someone steps in to keep him from dragging that company down with him

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

saw this in my random pictures folder, from years ago. It's so quaint now

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

Elon killed EVs with self-driving tech and buying twitter
Not all EVs are Teslas, believe it or not

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Scientastic posted:

If I remember correctly, this was sold by Musk as “humans only use their eyes, and we want the car to drive like a human does, therefore radar and LiDAR are only used by companies as a workaround for the fact their cars aren’t as good”
From many pages ago but seriously, let's stop that bullshit.

I have HARD SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that a car can drive in any weather conditions safely with only a pair of stereoscopic cameras mounted on a swivel. It is absolutely not necessary to have lidar or radar to drive a car safely.
The fact that the state of the art in digital camera technology and image recognition technology are both dogshit and self driving cars are still impossible is a separate issue.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1610473148448661505

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Lord Stimperor posted:

Giant tablet cars suck rear end. They're tacky, look cheap, and function poorly. One of the reasons I went with the car I have now is because their screen is purely for display, and all functions can be accessed through controls that you can feel. That's safer and gives a satisfying feeling.

I want this look (although I'm sure once automakers would build this, it'd immediately become less attractive):

mmmmm look at all those buttons

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

crypto fascist
is this a play on words?
cause they're definitely not trying to hide that they're fascist

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

BalloonFish posted:

A colleague outed himself as someone with chuddy tendencies by becoming extremely annoyed at the Windows login screen showing pics of beautiful landscapes, city scenes and nature from around the world. "I don't want to start my day looking at some over-filtered picture of somewhere on the other side of the world. Especially with some preachy caption telling me how pretty it is...!"

Apparently this was all part of some trend to turn us all into amorphous World Citizens (by making us know about other places, presumably?). I guess he wanted his Windows splash screen to consist only of pictures of beefeaters at the Tower of London, summer mist over the Cotswolds, the Backs of Cambridge and Spitfires over the White Cliffs of Dover.

I bet that guy's a 2023 Musk fan now.
lol he's not even an american. he doesn't get how this works

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

parses HTML with regex

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what about huntsville
china is technologically ahead of them

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

AARD VARKMAN posted:

public discords like forums related ones might be poo poo but for private discords with friends it's really, really good
I guess that's why it sucks then. Not already having any friends I'll never be invited to a private discord.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

E: oh and Elon just staring into his phone the whole time
like a common zoomer

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

You guys are just now discovering the changes Youtube made in 2015. The algorithm hasn't changed any since then, when they removed "related videos" as a concept.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Mistle posted:

Yeah, the biggest thing is selectively purging your watch history, because the algorithm is hard-wired to use ~hIsToRy~ to determine your recommendations, and just one odd video on the list will throw off the results. I had to dig through three dozen videos just to find the strange one out that caused 80% of my recommends to change to "WATCH this LOGIC man DUNK on WOKE SJWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and as soon as I cleared it, the recommends was cat vids again.

Ebaum Musk is just RILED that his tweety algorithm can't dump him into everyone's feeds without also dumping the sweet, sweet dis tracks that result. :lol:
that sounds like a lot of effort. if you want to look at a video that's questionable or might mess up recommendations, just watch it in a private window.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Saying "ChatGPT is a Democrat" is identical to saying "ChatGPT is not a Neo-Nazi"

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

Shorts is more recent than 2015.

The algorithm was bad before but in the past three or four months it seems to have gotten worse.
I wouldn't consider the addition of shorts part of the recommendation algorithm. and thankfully I don't see those, they showed up once on my home page, I clicked X, and that was it.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Buce posted:

louis ck made pedophilia/raciosm jokes for his entire career and they were pretty funny. he was cancelled for pulling his dick out in front of people. chapelle made a bunch of deeply unfunny jokes about trans people and ... literally nothing happened.

suck my dick elon, you fucker.
No he wasn't "cancelled" because a person cannot be cancelled, only a TV or radio show can be cancelled. Stop adopting the language of the far-right.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

kazil posted:

A guy quoting his own elon bait and then elon posting a one word response to the elon bait

truly he has made twitter the place to go for rich, thoughtful discourse
Absolutely

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Data Graham posted:

I think I probably mentally slotted it in with that XXX movie with Vin Diesel, it seemed like everything was XxXXXXxxXXXXXxXX for a while
your mom was XXX for a while

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Songbearer posted:

Cyberpunk the game did this by being so atrocious at launch you actively hated everything in it
and also after launch

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

pixaal posted:

I have come to the conclusion he doesn't have any it's just whatever is funny. He's not loyal to anything. He's sad and lonely and cannot deal with anyone not liking him. He has 2 groups that hate each other and he's trying to get buddy buddy by insulting the other side because that's all he knows how to do.

His attempt to get everyone to like him results in further isolation and sadness deepening the drive. He's in a spiral and something has to give at some point.
He literally made a tweet saying "I am a fascist and support fascism."

Also what's up with all the 1 star votes on this thread from cspammers?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

kazil posted:

I think Elon is having a rough day
It's all so loving infantile and so loving tiresome

much like my posting

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

You actually can't obfuscate Javascript, no matter what tool you use it will still be obvious that your code is garbage
sorry how do you tell garbage javascript code from javascript code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

goatface posted:

Post username etc.
LOL