Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rose :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
:asoiaf: Poor Rose indeed. But respect to the show for following thru and not pulling punches.

Has this been confirmed for 12 or 24 episodes? Or split over 2 seasons? Very much felt like it that was the end of Act 1 (out of 3) with Act 2 being the Japan/Aoi arc that starts next episode, then (I'm guessing) a final competition arc against final opponents hinted at in the opening credits.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dance Dance Danseur might be the best show of the season. The slow friendship between the main two boys is a pleasure to watch grow, particularly since it started from mutual instinctive distrust and wasn't guided at any point by some forced proximity in the narrative. There's obviously still signs of miscommunication and unease (and it's a blessing the show doesn't explicitly spell these out to the audience), which makes the development feel organic and the eventual emotional growth is very satisfying when it starts to show. The ballet progress itself is simple but effective. The improvements are slow but they're tangible and believable, which is somehow a bit of a rarity in series about total beginners learning how to master something in my experience.

The one misgiving I have is that there's four episodes left in the show, and it doesn't feel like the show will move fast enough to reach a natural stopping point. I've been enjoying the current leisurely pacing so it'd be a shame if it significantly speeds up to get to the ending.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Strange Quark posted:

Dance Dance Danseur might be the best show of the season.

It absolutely is for me. Feels like a miracle that we get such a beautiful adaptation, and such a bummer that it seems to be completely ignored. There's enough material in the manga to fill around 50 episodes right now, but I doubt they can scrounge up the money for another season.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Does the main character get better about admitting he wants to dance because one thing that threw me off and I stopped watching was just how much he was complaining about “no I actually don’t want to do this!” multiple times an episode when he of course clearly does. It’s fine to have a main character put up resistance to something as it creates conflict but you can’t drag it out and have him just be an rear end about it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Black Stones posted:

Does the main character get better about admitting he wants to dance because one thing that threw me off and I stopped watching was just how much he was complaining about “no I actually don’t want to do this!” multiple times an episode when he of course clearly does. It’s fine to have a main character put up resistance to something as it creates conflict but you can’t drag it out and have him just be an rear end about it.

The main thrust of the story early on is about him getting over himself (drat a teenager not being honest with himself because of peer pressure?), and it happens iirc in ep 4

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I know the story is about getting over himself, but as I mentioned in my post. They went overboard with his reactions and it felt like every other scene was him overreacting about how he doesn’t want to do thing. It’s not that he has an objection, it’s just in how it presented it. Especially how he screams a lot.

I’ll try get back to it, but he was a grating character.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The Black Stones posted:

I know the story is about getting over himself, but as I mentioned in my post. They went overboard with his reactions and it felt like every other scene was him overreacting about how he doesn’t want to do thing. It’s not that he has an objection, it’s just in how it presented it. Especially how he screams a lot.

I’ll try get back to it, but he was a grating character.

Oh he still screams a lot.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that was honestly part of the early episodes' charm to me, watching someone finally feed his love for dance again while he protests too much. he's certainly inconveniencing others a bit along the way, but for the most part it's just him being his own worst enemy in a way that made me laugh a lot. but yeah, after the first couple episodes he's definitely over it and has other challenges related to his mindset about dance to work through.

i've really enjoyed the latest episodes as Junpei gets proactive about gaining a better understanding of capital-b Ballet, and it causing him to look back and cringe at his past arrogance and hedonism (from a whole several days ago, my god!). not that he's grown beyond it enough to do things like reevaluate his goals to something more attainable, or avoid getting into stupid flexing competitions with other dancers. :laugh: similarly, the scenes of Luou talking back/standing up to bullies while still being unable to make direct eye contact are a great measured bit of (entertaining) character growth. oh, and they didn't forget that Junpei's friend exists, which was a super nice addition to the competition scenes along with the dance mom comments lol. very weird how relationshipped up some of these middle schoolers are though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Scarface golf trainer guy is kind of a dick

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Scarface golf trainer guy is kind of a dick

Char was kind of a dick in Gundam so that makes sense.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bridie Wing this week is an actual honest to goodness High School sports anime this week. Any other series and this would be major tonal whip lash but Birdie Wing gonna Birdie Wing

Do like how Eve was a bit shocked that she could speak Japanese which is probably a very major plot hint at her past yes

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love the running joke of Eve having to pull out her passport to remember her new name.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Bridie Wing this week is an actual honest to goodness High School sports anime this week. Any other series and this would be major tonal whip lash but Birdie Wing gonna Birdie Wing

They're just speed-running all the classic shonen settings. Next arc they'll be playing golf while riding around on motorbikes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
More specifically, they're speedrunning Osamu Dezaki homages. We just went from Golgo 13 to Dear Brother.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no way Birdie Wing is finishing in three eps, I don't think half the characters from the op have even appeared yet.

Lol at Aoi covering her eyes but not

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
My favorite gag was Eve having to take out and look at her passport to remember what her name was now, I hope they keep it up

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Boycotting Birdie Wing until Rose and Vipere come back.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

chumbler posted:

Boycotting Birdie Wing until Rose and Vipere come back.

vipere has escaped from the dangerous and terrible world of high stakes golf betting, and i wish her well. rose is going to come back with half a cyborg head though

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

There's no way Birdie Wing is finishing in three eps, I don't think half the characters from the op have even appeared yet.

Apparently (read on another forum) they haven't given an episode count for the show. I'm guessing somewhere between 20-26; it's a anime original (rare nowdays) so that would fit stretching it over 2 seasons.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're still working on the ending, hence not 100% on giving an exact figure out to public just yet.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's like at least ten original shows every season. There's not really any correlation between the state of the source material and the broadcast length.

And the number of episodes would be known to the studio. It's based on agreements with the TV networks which give them a set number of weeks that's pretty much set in stone.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

ao ashi still good, even if we're hitting what seems to be primarily a training arc.

Which is sorely needed for Ashito as he's technically worse than everyone else and his ability to predict the movements of other players seems way worse.

I find it interesting that the coaches think he can't go big because all he does is just instinct, but we know from the first episode that it isn't instinct and Ashito *can* articulate why he does what he does. It just doesn't come for him

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Regarding Birdie Wing, I hadn't thought about the possibility of Eve being an illegitimate child between Aoi's father and a westerner until I read it here but it fits nicely and puts Aoi's mother in the role of an "evil stepmother" as a main antagonist.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
With regards to Dance Dance Danseur, I just wanna be sure of something...Luou and Miyako are first cousins, right?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Yes.

I hope it doesnt become a thing where Junpei dumps her so she can be with Luou and he ends up dating the younger girl. Although it seems like its just setting them up to be a dance partners.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 4, 2022

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This weeks Birdie Wing, Eve in school, Eve dating 2 girls Eva taking part in a mini golf match

God I hope this a 2 cour show even if it's split cours

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Just watched this weeks episode twice on repeat. Eve's ikebo on the 2 timid girls was gold.

Considering they've previewed episode 11 as a training montage episode for the tournament arc I would speculate it's going straight across into the next season.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Gotta say well done to ao ashi for being able to accurately depict the aesthetic beauty of something as simple as a football being competently trapped and distributed.

Also that feeling of exhilaration when you realise that the training has paid off and you can do [thing] automatically, brought me right back to football training when I was at school 100 years ago. 'If you figure it out yourself, you'll never forget it' is a really nice line.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Birdie Wing you already had Char Aznable teaching Eve, you didn't have to have Amuro Ray too.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
How else is Eve supposed to awaken to her NewType abilities? Someone might take Aoi from her if she doesn’t!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Man I missed that but Coach Amuro's full name is Amuro Reiya so the show is all in on it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Birdie Wing you already had Char Aznable teaching Eve, you didn't have to have Amuro Ray too.

Who the hell else would you trust to undo that kind of damage?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Definitely not Amuro lol

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've been following birdie wing since the first week and have been feeling regularly stymied by the writing. like, yeah, the first arc was good, but every time they looked like they were going all in on ridiculous underground mafia golf, the story would start pulling back to eve loving around with aoi, learning sportsmanship and the love of the game and everything else i absolutely cannot give a gently caress about.

if I want someone being chipper about being a good person and a good sportsperson, I'll watch ted lasso.

and we get a wild ending to the mafia arc, and then immediately abandon it for my least favorite thing about anime: high school politics

like, you even look at the lineup of rivals in the OP, and it's rose and vipere and then a line of bitchy prep-school girls in polo shirts. ooh, terrifying. it's like getting five episodes into utena and finding out the next 34 episodes only feature nanami and clones thereof.

I'm still on board for the moment, having The Woman Who Only Hits Dingers have her mini-golf showdown was alright. but oh my god, i am so loving tired of anime where high schools and their fiddly bullshit are more important and/or powerful than national governments

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually the recent episodes own as does its move into being Saki but golf

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

the sex ghost posted:

Gotta say well done to ao ashi for being able to accurately depict the aesthetic beauty of something as simple as a football being competently trapped and distributed.

Also that feeling of exhilaration when you realise that the training has paid off and you can do [thing] automatically, brought me right back to football training when I was at school 100 years ago. 'If you figure it out yourself, you'll never forget it' is a really nice line.

agreed, very happy about having a somewhat serious/realistic manga about the sport, made for people who know a bit about it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Lmao at that girl's flower sprouting shot

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 11, 2022

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jomo posted:

Just watched this weeks episode twice on repeat. Eve's ikebo on the 2 timid girls was gold.

Considering they've previewed episode 11 as a training montage episode for the tournament arc I would speculate it's going straight across into the next season.

The moment she leans on those girls I laughed. Eve is loving dangerous. Lock up your daughters!

And yeah, this bit where they're transitioning to the high school seems to be a bit slow but I'm ALL IN for weird golf stand powers.
"Wha--What is this??"
"She's activated [IN THE ZONE]!"

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Why the hell did I just binge all ten episodes of Birdie Wing in the last two days? I don't even play golf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Kvantum posted:

Why the hell did I just binge all ten episodes of Birdie Wing in the last two days? I don't even play golf!

Your heart has been pierced by her rainbow bullet