Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Caught up with Ao Ashi. The manga is easier for readers to digest about them discussing tactics than the anime. It may go over some viewers head about it. The animation is probably the weakest portion of the anime but sports anime in general never really had great animation. I would have loved to see this get better animation than what has happened so far. Maybe we will get some better animation when the real matches start. I do like that teammates do not see eye to eye with each other and the conflict and drama it leads. Also how some players are probably wondering how Ashito got into this team.

Here are some inspiration/locations from real life that is used in the anime.

https://twitter.com/heero_yuy2/status/1536320088797749248

https://twitter.com/heero_yuy2/status/1536551920629841922

And [Alexandros] released the full OP with a manga music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwLkGMBYL7I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

psyer posted:

The animation is probably the weakest portion of the anime but sports anime in general never really had great animation.

Kinda pointless to single sports out for this when it's true of the reality of TV anime. That being said, there's some obvious standouts in the first three seasons of Haikyuu and Kuroko's Basketball.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Ao Ashi 11

It is the first real match for the show. I found the episode to be enjoyable and flowed well. Ashito finally learns about triangles and that soccer is a team sport. One pet peeve of mine, however, is that they sometimes localized goals as points.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Still can't get over that one guy on the B team that looks like he's 40 (the frog looking dude)

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Still can't get over that one guy on the B team that looks like he's 40 (the frog looking dude)

I do not know. He looks like a 15 year old to me. :D

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams
https://twitter.com/birdiewing_golf/status/1539080669480882177

Season 1, you say?

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
First Reaction: Noice!

Second Reaction: Wait... does that say 33000 yen? Because currently Google tells me that's equal to 383.49 nzd. :dogstare:

Does it say how many episodes or total runtime? My Nihongo ain't so jouzu.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I started watching Birdie Wing and that poo poo looks electric

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jomo posted:

First Reaction: Noice!

Second Reaction: Wait... does that say 33000 yen? Because currently Google tells me that's equal to 383.49 nzd. :dogstare:

Does it say how many episodes or total runtime? My Nihongo ain't so jouzu.

Blu-rays being expensive is standard practice for Japan, yes. It's a set for the whole season, being episodes 1 to 13.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Birdie Wings 12

After this episode and the next episode preview, there is no way that there is not a season 2. I can see how season 1 ends and sets up for season 2.

Edit: Also this show probably only got created as a shameless advertisement for Gundam.

psyer fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 22, 2022

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I would have pegged the number of deaths in an anime about golf at 0 but I was proven very wrong.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't know what was better in this Birdie Wing episode, Aoi's barrier or Lily dunking on V-Gundam's Shy Tarn

Next episode preview looks great though

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Blu-rays being expensive is standard practice for Japan, yes. It's a set for the whole season, being episodes 1 to 13.

I was expecting it to be around 1/3 of that; given a series boxset for a show that debuted last year is around $65, thru official distributors here, so 6x that amount is a huge jump. Then again I did read (probably on these forums) that the standard business model is: figure out what the top 2% (whales) of the audience would pay, then add another 10%. Ultimately I find it confusing to obsess over pure profit for a product line that already has a super low manufacturing margin, like $1-2 dollars for a boxset, instead of trying to push as much volume as possible.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Japan's home video market has always been more of collectable market than more of a mass sales one. Plus it used to be that for most late night or non toy anime the money the series actually made was from Disc sales (Late Night TV time slots were just free ads) so that's actually gonna be reflect in costs compared to say a US TV series that made it's money on air and the home video release is just gravy on top. And of course Japan's media companies being greedy/overly controlling of the market

Now with streamimg/gacha/merch or manga DIsc sales mean less to the bottom line but that just means it's even more of a collector market so why reduce prices?

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Japan's home video market has always been more of collectable market than more of a mass sales one. Plus it used to be that for most late night or non toy anime the money the series actually made was from Disc sales (Late Night TV time slots were just free ads) so that's actually gonna be reflect in costs compared to say a US TV series that made it's money on air and the home video release is just gravy on top. And of course Japan's media companies being greedy/overly controlling of the market

Now with streamimg/gacha/merch or manga DIsc sales mean less to the bottom line but that just means it's even more of a collector market so why reduce prices?

"A weeb and his money are easily parted." - Japanese business proverb

I get it. Will keep an eye out next year when/if it gets a release here at not-Japan pricing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bluray sales are publicly published on a weekly basis and pretty easy to find, and you can find a lot of series each season that sell less than 200 discs flat out.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Getting the thread back on track after my blu-ray chat, can someone explain to me why Saotome (Eve's caddy) stresses the last "su" syllable when she speaks? Saying dessssu instead of desu.

Feel it's a character element that's currently going over my head.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jomo posted:

Getting the thread back on track after my blu-ray chat, can someone explain to me why Saotome (Eve's caddy) stresses the last "su" syllable when she speaks? Saying dessssu instead of desu.

Feel it's a character element that's currently going over my head.

I think it's part of a regional dialect, establishing her as a backwoods hick.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I enjoy the coach being all in on Eve being as intimidating as possible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DurosKlav posted:

I would have pegged the number of deaths in an anime about golf at 0 but I was proven very wrong.

Heck, death is one of the best ways to make a sports anime a classic.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Looks like they are going to try to milk this franchise.

https://twitter.com/htc/status/1539488378231595008

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

psyer posted:

Looks like they are going to try to milk this franchise.

They got to make money somehow. The link also mentions a Switch game but gives no further details about it; hopefully it won't be ¥33,000.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jomo posted:

They got to make money somehow. The link also mentions a Switch game but gives no further details about it; hopefully it won't be ¥33,000.

There's a reason the secondhand market is so big for media in Japan you know

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Birdie Wing's success is going to be determined by the amount of Shy Tarn Gunpla the show manages to sell

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I hope Eve gets into a Golf Gundam in S2.

A Golfdam

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

you watch the game, you don't see ashito. You watch Ashito, you see the whole game. phwoar

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

https://twitter.com/birdiewing_golf/status/1541805435337879552

Season 2, folks.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Jan next year tho. :f5:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Birdie Wing: Not sure who's going to come out of this arc in mor urgent need of heart medication - Amuro or Aoi.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Surprised that wasn't the last episode of this season, unless the 'next week' is happening in January.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Birdie Wing 13: Didn't seem like it was planned to have a super long break and was just made like a "normal" episode instead of a season finale. It even had a next episode preview too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Turns out its 26 episodes and *then* a second season in Jan! :woop:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Turns out its 26 episodes and *then* a second season in Jan! :woop:

Sadly it isn't - looks like it's 13 this season and 13 in Jan

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Ao Ashi 13

This was the episode I have been waiting for. I am surprised that they did the whole conversation for this episode instead of leaving a cliffhanger and saving a portion of it for the next episode.

Edit: Also new OP and ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJXGQVe2ha4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNF0wgroieA

Edit 2: They also changed it to Batistuta from Maradona in the manga due to Maradona passing away between the manga and anime.

psyer fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 2, 2022

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
A lot of rough looking faces in the second half but drat, what a performance

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
drat Fukuda just killed that poor boy

Also appreciated the nod to TRP in the last few episodes with the explanation of the magic of triangles

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Also caught up on birdie wing: first half stellar, no notes. lots of time for high stakes underground golfing rings. Not sure about the abrupt pivot to going back to golf school but the new characters are fun enough to keep me into it

Tried the new Shoot! series and 2 minutes in the main character is doing the Michael Corleone bit but about playing football and throwing up on the floor in rage. Seems bad

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

gotta feel for Ashito. Noone wants to grow up to be Gary Neville

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
So the coach in Birdie wing is named Amuro Reiya and has Amuro's VA. Eve's teacher Leo is a blonde guy with scars on his face voiced by Char's VA. How many Gundam references are jammed in this thing outside of the obvious gunpla stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
The first episode of the new Shoot anime is pretty bad. It is going for the old school sports anime type of storytelling but all these characters seems to be terrible and unlikable.

It is especially bad if you compare it to Ao Ashi's storytelling.