Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This thread is very relevant to my interests. I've been reading Gary Alan Fine's Shared Fantasy, and he did a lot of his field work in exactly this kind of club. So it'll be interesting to see what better community management tools there are today to take care of a lot of toxic dynamics that existed back then (field notes taken in the late 70s. Also, he did a lot of field work in one of M. A. R. Barker's Empire of the Petal Throne groups, although I think nobody at the time knew he was (or was going to be?) a neo-Nazi).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Arneson and Gygax's groups were kind of smaller scale home groups. Keep in mind that they were wargamers, and those were so sparse on the ground that for board wargaming, Avalon Hill created a house organ whose significant attraction was the classifieds section to find opponents. The miniature wargamers were in a similar situation, made worse by just how much work their terrain was to set up, much less move.

The Minneapolis group, still maybe a dozen at their biggest, was where Braunstein and Chainmail were kind of married into Blackmoor, and Gygax was drawn into it by Arneson essentially coming over to give him a personal demonstration.

To have this kind of Gaming Group thing, you need a combination of sufficient membership and low barrier to entry which didn't really, in my opinion, take off until the TTRPG product of something like a board game but that could keep a big group of people busy sharing their imagined antics and settings came to market.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The more public group that Fine analyzes in Shared Fantasy actually did have various types of extremely toxic people, and some toxic dynamics generally, but managed to persevere, although it changed with time. The biggest change they went through was because the club was publicized and people were essentially using them as a babysitting service for their teens, which made a lot of the old guard leave. Meanwhile, Fine singles out at least one person who was actively disruptive to the point where people found ways of not playing with him or playing around him, and who went as far as to physically accost other players, without destroying the club.

It also has a chapter called "Game Structure" which is in fact about the social structure of the gaming group, rather than having much to do with the rules.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
To be clear, I keep referring to the club in Shared Fantasy because it was a "big" club, multiple tables, multiple referees, long-term, etc, so I think lessons from it are going to be relevant to what's being proposed here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mellonbread posted:

I'm also referring to a scenario with multiple tables and a shared pool of players. After enough "bad games" the GMs respond by handpicking the players they actually like and leaving to form their own smaller groups. Which is great for those people, since they now have regular games with people they like to play with. But it's not good for the overall health of the larger group.

Ah, the charter school method.