Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The hard thing in my experience is not getting rid of obvious bad actors, but managing players (or GMs) who bring the group down in less bombastic fashion. I'm talking about the guy who clearly does not enjoy the game and spends every session essentially doing nothing, but continues showing up week after week. It creates an increasing impression that the group is a place of last resort for people who have "nowhere else to go", which in turn reduces investment on the part of the other players and GMs. It's tough to kick people out who "didn't do anything wrong", the common response I've seen is the rest of the group schedules around them instead to ensure they don't show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I'm also referring to a scenario with multiple tables and a shared pool of players. After enough "bad games" the GMs respond by handpicking the players they actually like and leaving to form their own smaller groups. Which is great for those people, since they now have regular games with people they like to play with. But it's not good for the overall health of the larger group.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Interested to see how forcing the players to make their own maps goes. I tried it with my own megadungeon and eventually abandoned it because the players all hated it. Out of a rotating cast of about twenty, not a single one wanted to spend the entire session taking careful notes and repeatedly clarifying the geometry of every room. There were a few who did so out of a sense of obligation, but they weren't always present (perhaps because they disliked being saddled with a chore nobody else wanted).

I suspect the player organized scheduling will resolve itself into a facsimile of regularly scheduled sessions, since the limiting reactant is what timeslots the DM can actually make. If the players can make twenty different times and the DM can make three, you've got three potential times.

You could "unlock" additional timeslots by recruiting more DMs, but that requires convincing people to put in the effort to run games in a shared setting where they don't have total creative control. How do you plan to recruit more DMs?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Were you ever able to recruit more DMs?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

aldantefax posted:

Players of all skill levels and all play styles are encountered.
There was an article on the Adventurers League site a few years back, I can't find it anymore, explaining that as the AL modules transitioned to higher level play, game stores would have to find some other way to onboard brand new players who didn't have characters of sufficiently high level. Apparently the official 5e organized play doesn't allow players to just play a pregen or something if they don't have a suitable character of their own within the level band. And since the published adventures were continually increasing in power level, new players would not only not be able to play in a given session, but could be left without an onramp for future sessions. At the end of the day it was up to the store to keep offering low level games from the back catalog if they hoped to continue bringing new players in.

aldantefax posted:

As people who are paying to play there is a certain level of self-selection taking place - which is, only people who can afford the membership can join. This does change the people who I end up engaging with, and folks at my table are all completely okay with it and seem significantly more invested in the experience (other referees report similar energy at their tables)
I had the same experience running games at Gencon. Anyone who makes it to that table has planned for months, put down hundreds of dollars and dealt with hours to days of airport, shuttle and hotel horseshit in order to get there. The level of investment and energy you get from the players is probably as high as it's possible to get from random strangers.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I can't imagine running modern d20 fantasy for fifteen players at once. I know it was a common way to play the older editions, but even B/X bogs down when a combat involves more than a dozen characters, let alone a dozen player characters.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I visited the closest game store today and discovered there's no way to reserve a table there for a weekly meeting. They won't rent out anything smaller than a private room. The attached bar even has a sign saying they won't give you a table unless you show up with a group of people already assembled, so there's no possibility of grabbing a space there and playing with whoever shows up.

The game store I played at in grad school let you reserve tables for weekly play, but they went out of business a few years ago. They did a lot of things that were good for the hobby but not particularly profitable, like giving most of their shelf space to indie and non 5e RPGs. I suspect they were kept afloat solely by in-person Magic, and when that disappeared for several years they went under.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
You could scramble the teams and force people to play at new tables with new DMs, but
  1. Players like to play with a specific cohort more than a group of randoms. (One endstate for a gaming club is people fissioning off into private groups of people they enjoy playing with after the big group falls apart)
  2. Making a change like that would require leadership from the guy at the top, which seems unlikely given the lack thereof is causing the problem in the first place.
  3. It would publicly reveal what it sounds like you already suspect is happening: each table is de facto running its own fork of the setting, rather than a piece of a shared world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Actually the whole situation sounds like the reverse of every "living world" I've ever participated in.

Usually the guy at the top is very enthusiastic about the shared world and keeping everyone on-script, while the co-GMs are more interested in doing their own thing than putting in the grunt work of writing/reading play reports and updating setting documents.