Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IAMKOREA posted:

Magnesium glycinate is awesome it knocks me the gently caress out when i need to sleep, it's probably mostly the glycinate tho

same. THe laxative effect robs me of a nice firm stool but the trade-off is worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
See, nut oil guys poop like THIS

but us seed oil guys poop like THISSS

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

blacking out on the toilet after a twelve hour shift, seed poop sliding out of me like so much soft serve

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

I pressed a few cups of flaxseed oil last year and it worked out well, good for seasoning cast iron OP. This year I've sown a small crop of flax so I can do it even more from-scratch

You can also use stuff like olive oil or avacado oil for that. I heard that you had to use lard for it growing up so I avoided cast iron for the longest time.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i stopped using a cast iron pan because I was tired of how goddamn heavy it was.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Casey Finnigan posted:

i stopped using a cast iron pan because I was tired of how goddamn heavy it was.

???

Did you actively hold it over a fire or something?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I like to pick the pan up and slide the stuff around in it

i never claimed to be a good cook or anything though. I don't even know how to season a pan I just clean it if it's dirty and then put the food in there

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

the chapo boys were right about the seed guys

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Casey Finnigan posted:

i never claimed to be a good cook or anything though. I don't even know how to season a pan I just clean it if it's dirty and then put the food in there

This is what I do too, if you are using it with any regularity than it seasons itself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

here's your answer OP

the bran is unnecessary for germination. is it really part of the seed?

Fortaleza posted:

I pressed a few cups of flaxseed oil last year and it worked out well, good for seasoning cast iron OP. This year I've sown a small crop of flax so I can do it even more from-scratch

wtf that is literally the worst vegetable oil for seasoning

you must baby the hell out of that pan. flax will flake at the slightest provocation

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
if the coating starts flaking off of a nonstick pan, you can go "drat cheap teflon manufacturers" and get a new pan and nobody will raise an eyebrow

if something gets messed up with your cast iron pan and you're dumb enough to mention it then you're gonna get a 30 minute lecture about seasoning and cleaning from whichever of your coworkers or friends has designated themselves as Cast Iron Guy

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Platystemon posted:

the bran is unnecessary for germination. is it really part of the seed?

wtf that is literally the worst vegetable oil for seasoning

you must baby the hell out of that pan. flax will flake at the slightest provocation

Completely incorrect, any oil is fine and flax is nice because of the lower polymerization temp and I like the smell. If it's flaking you done did it wrong

Aglet56 posted:

if the coating starts flaking off of a nonstick pan, you can go "drat cheap teflon manufacturers" and get a new pan and nobody will raise an eyebrow

if something gets messed up with your cast iron pan and you're dumb enough to mention it then you're gonna get a 30 minute lecture about seasoning and cleaning from whichever of your coworkers or friends has designated themselves as Cast Iron Guy

happens even if nothing's messed up! friggin' Cast Iron Guys

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's very hard to gently caress up cast iron unless you do something like put it in the dishwasher. It's quite literally just a giant block of iron.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

the ancient greeks only used olive oil on their bodies, all culinary uses are modern degeneracy

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

get a chain mail scrub pad and stop giving a poo poo about literally anything. use soap. scrub. next time you need it, apply some oil. oh poo poo, it rusted???? who gives a poo poo you little bitch baby, put more oil on that poo poo

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Cast iron pans have sucked ever since they stopped polishing the surface as standard practice. now if you want a polished cast iron pan you have to pay $200 for a bespoke cast iron pan

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Cast iron pans have sucked ever since they stopped polishing the surface as standard practice. now if you want a polished cast iron pan you have to pay $200 for a bespoke cast iron pan

the seasoning sticks fine to a rough surface you just don’t know what you’re doing. nut more into your pan

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

lmfao you're the goon who was bragging about their kitchen revolution

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

the ancient greeks only used olive oil on their bodies, all culinary uses are modern degeneracy

well lamps too

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

a primate posted:

get a chain mail scrub pad and stop giving a poo poo about literally anything. use soap. scrub. next time you need it, apply some oil. oh poo poo, it rusted???? who gives a poo poo you little bitch baby, put more oil on that poo poo

lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
cooking for less than 100 people at a time is bourgeois affectation

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

nut and seed oils are one thing, but what about nut and seed milks?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've been saying things about the nut and seed oils guys

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Elephanthead posted:

the seasoning sticks fine to a rough surface you just don’t know what you’re doing. nut more into your pan

If you never used an old polished cast iron pan you can just admit it. There’s no comparison

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lmfao you're the goon who was bragging about their kitchen revolution

I suspect you have me confused w another goon .. update your spreadsheet :D

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

cooking for less than 100 people at a time is bourgeois affectation

cooking in a 26” paella pan to own the libs

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I’m imagining Cast Iron Guy in the Middle Ages trying to explain to his neighbours that cooking in crockery simply doesn’t compare

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
gently caress cast iron it's the dumbest poo poo lol it has no real advantage beyond hipster bullshit lmao

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

gently caress cast iron pans

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Karl Barks posted:

Please do not gently caress your cast iron pans

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Karl Barks posted:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spacemang_spliff posted:

gently caress cast iron it's the dumbest poo poo lol it has no real advantage beyond hipster bullshit lmao

it's really durable, that's about it

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

spacemang_spliff posted:

now a cast iron stove on the other hand can heat your house

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Normal pans are for ladies, I need a pan as rugged as my masculinity

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

it’s a big bunch of metal that holds heat really well, so you can throw a big piece of steak on it without the temperature dipping due to the increased mass. if you don’t have a barbecue, it’s a good alternative

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I cook on a slab of radium. I just have to be careful not to use soap on it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

spacemang_spliff posted:

dumbass

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

a primate posted:

yeah

Karl Barks posted:

yeah

a primate posted:

it’s a big bunch of metal that holds heat really well, so you can throw a big piece of steak on it without the temperature dipping due to the increased mass. if you don’t have a barbecue, it’s a good alternative

yeah

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Use the microwave

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Almost the entire world uses cast iron in some capacity and the fat hamburger american couldn't be bothered to figure out how to cook with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

carbon steel is the real deal