Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wheeee posted:

carbon steel is the real deal

let me just fire up my 200,000BTU industrial blowtorch for fried rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

everyone's health has gone to poo poo in the last 50 years or so and the seed oil guys reckon it's the replacement of animal fats in our diet with vegetable oils. there is like one old RCT on vegetable oils and it showed bad outcomes after years and years. the rest of the science is based on food questionnaires, people having a fun time with statistics to show whatever side they prefer and animal studies, so who knows what is true. nutrition science is a joke.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

"oh no, I'm not eating enough animal fat anymore" as I shove my third double bacon cheeseburger down my gullet

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a primate posted:

it’s a big bunch of metal that holds heat really well, so you can throw a big piece of steak on it without the temperature dipping due to the increased mass. if you don’t have a barbecue, it’s a good alternative

being able to toss it in the oven is pretty nice too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

*coughing up clouds of microplastics, vape juice and slim jims* more like SOYL

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Dreylad posted:

being able to toss it in the oven is pretty nice too

yeah, this is a really nice perk

though I almost entirely use a stainless steel pan, which can do all of the same stuff and I don't have to worry about maintaining any seasoning

I also have an enamel coated cast iron pan, and I always half wonder what that enamel is made out of. Probably fine.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

though I almost entirely use a stainless steel pan, which can do all of the same stuff and I don't have to worry about maintaining any seasoning

I also have an enamel coated cast iron pan, and I always half wonder what that enamel is made out of. Probably fine.

it's like a glazed clay pot. nearly indestructable. i only have a couple pieces of my mom's le creuset set left but it's from 1980. if i ever won the lottery i'd get a new full set because they're pretty

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm very surprised to discover that there is not a single restaurant in the world called, "The Nut and Seed"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i used to eat at the nutty brown cafe, kinda gross name

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

"oh no, I'm not eating enough animal fat anymore" as I shove my third double bacon cheeseburger down my gullet

more like, oh no the fries are cooked in vegetable oil instead of tallow or lard

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

cowboy beepboop posted:

more like, oh no the fries are cooked in vegetable oil instead of tallow or lard

so it's less "animal fat good" and more "plant fats bad?"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

yeah stainless steel is good too. i think if you use your cast iron enough often enough you dont have to worry too much about maintaining the seasoning but it can take some time to get there.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

more like natural fats good, manufactured fats bad with a strong bias towards animal fats as that is what we probably ate before the modern era of farming

some of the popular theories being
* these are novel foods, we are not suited to eat them
* the o3/o6 balance is way off
* they cause over-eating by hijacking some satiety signals
* the type of fatty acid breaks down into bad stuff that causes oxidation in bad places
* the way they're made is gross, they start out rancid and sludgy and have to be bleached & deodorized with weird chemicals. this doesn't make them less rancid you just cant smell or taste it now

counter science tends to be in the form of meta-analysis of epidemiological studies and dismissing 'mechanistic' theories. as nutrition science sucks and is bad they will keep doing meta-analyses of studies until the end of time and the question probably won't be answered definitively either way

personally I think they're probably part of the puzzle as to why everyone is fat and sick but our entire environment sucks and is toxic so who knows. they're easy enough to avoid if you cook most meals at home. the seed oil guys you see on twitter are weird grifters mostly. eg that 'Carnivore Aurelius' guy was a supposed hardcore carnivore who espoused the benefits of daily beef liver. weirdly he started selling beef liver snacks shortly after. he has recently morphed into a meat + honey + fruit guy maybe his snack biz didn't go so well, can't wait to see what he tries to sell next

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
is everybody really fat and sick all the time? obesity rates are up but on the other hand we know what germs are, so it feels like any negative effects of the industrial revolution on the human diet might come out in the wash. it's a received bit of wisdom that americans/westerns/modern humans are very unhealthy but life expectancy has been basically monotonically increasing for the last hundred years pretty much everywhere:

of course one thing that could cause problems is a worldwide pandemic that affects every organ and which is being allowed to run rampant pretty much everywhere

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

modern medicine has lowered infant mortality and extended end of life care which takes up 90% of the heavy lifting in those stats, as well as other things like OSHA. adults today aren't all that healthy though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Cast iron pans have sucked ever since they stopped polishing the surface as standard practice. now if you want a polished cast iron pan you have to pay $200 for a bespoke cast iron pan

Pay twenty bucks for an angle grinder and a polishing disc and go at it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/RQfSksQ.mp4

Traditional olive oil separation

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

This is more or less the reasoning. Soy munching scientists say animal fats gives you CVD and diabetes so just assume the opposite eat all the bacon you want.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

i say swears online posted:

it's like a glazed clay pot. nearly indestructable. i only have a couple pieces of my mom's le creuset set left but it's from 1980. if i ever won the lottery i'd get a new full set because they're pretty

I got a le creuset dutch oven that my rich step sister in law was going to just throw out because it had a tiny chip in the enamel. I got it too hot once preheating it and enamel started flying off of it lol. guessing water or something got between the enamel and the metal and started wrecking it

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

yeah I just use stainless steel, I can toss it in the dishwasher without it turning to rust. or I can use bartender's friend on it without it turning to rust.

cast iron is nice for car camping though since you can just like, throw it directly on the coals and not worry about it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If you're actively cooking on carbon steel/cast iron it should be pretty well seasoned. I think the mistake people make is not making sure the pan is hot enough before trying to cook on it.

There are a lot of weirdo myths about cast iron that still float about. I still see people talking about how washing the pan with soap and water ruins it. While that may have been true in the past, most dishwashing soaps now are completely safe for cast iron.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There are a lot of weirdo myths about cast iron that still float about. I still see people talking about how washing the pan with soap and water ruins it. While that may have been true in the past, most dishwashing soaps now are completely safe for cast iron.

The “maintaining cast iron is a sacred and painstaking process” people are super hilarious to anyone who’s ever worked in a kitchen

literally the only things to know are

Don’t put it in the dishwasher
Dry it as soon as you’re done washing it
That’s it

if you want to go the extra mile put a drop of literally any cooking oil in once it’s dry and rub it around with a paper towel

even if you completely gently caress this up and let it soak in the dishwasher you can still scrape the rust off and re-season it

like someone else said it’s literally a hunk of iron, they’re impossible to ruin

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cornbread and cobbler in steel pans just don't hit right

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i say swears online posted:

let me just fire up my 200,000BTU industrial blowtorch for fried rice

you don’t need a huge burner you need dry rice

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Aglet56 posted:

is everybody really fat and sick all the time? obesity rates are up but on the other hand we know what germs are, so it feels like any negative effects of the industrial revolution on the human diet might come out in the wash. it's a received bit of wisdom that americans/westerns/modern humans are very unhealthy but life expectancy has been basically monotonically increasing for the last hundred years pretty much everywhere:

Americans are extremely sedentary compared to the first half of 20th century, regular exercise is one of the most powerful medical interventions you can do (along with sufficient high quality sleep, good thing that went down the toilet too).

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I've had a theory that electric light made everyone insane around 1900 by loving up the entire world's sleep cycles. Can't really prove it but fun to think about

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
cast iron is great, I love it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

speaking of good btus, cast iron, and steaks though, i get a good sear on my steaks

https://i.imgur.com/z9rXx1t.mp4

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Sugar is gonna end up being regarded like tobacco in the future, is my prediction re: why we are fat

I want to use a cast iron pan but I have a glass stovetop and I am not at all interested in having to pay to replace that when I leave this apartment

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

Sugar is gonna end up being regarded like tobacco in the future, is my prediction re: why we are fat

going through a drive-thru and seeing the person in front of you order an xl coffee with 4 creams and 10 sugars

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I want to use a cast iron pan but I have a glass stovetop and I am not at all interested in having to pay to replace that when I leave this apartment

yeah refined sugar seems extremely bad for you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I used cast iron on an electric stove and it was just fine.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Just be gentle with it, don't slam the cast iron pan on the range.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fart simpson posted:

speaking of good btus, cast iron, and steaks though, i get a good sear on my steaks

https://i.imgur.com/z9rXx1t.mp4

lol at turning up the gas so high that the flames just go around the pan

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my roommate tried to cook a tortilla on a teflon pan with the flames like that and he was mad it was taking forever

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

fart simpson posted:

yeah refined sugar seems extremely bad for you

"im so tired of people pretending theres a difference between naturally occurring sugar and refined sugar"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think it’ll be like the lead pipes in Roman times where everyone in the future will be shocked that we were constantly poisoning ourselves like this but it’ll also explain a lot of our behavior to future historians (correctly or not)

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Just be gentle with it, don't slam the cast iron pan on the range.

I had heard moving it about could scratch the surface, not that I'm constantly sliding my pans around but they do move from time to time

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive become certain that refined sugar is poison. its insane how easily you can trim down by just literally never eating candy or junk food. a little roll of hostess donettes or w/e are like 9999999 calories. a snickers is like 2 meals worth of poo poo. if you're gonna eat one you gotta basically fast for the rest of the day. just imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
but thats also assuming a sedentary life. if you're running around all day and working with your hands and back you can eat whatever.