Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Sugar is gonna end up being regarded like tobacco in the future, is my prediction re: why we are fat

I want to use a cast iron pan but I have a glass stovetop and I am not at all interested in having to pay to replace that when I leave this apartment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Just be gentle with it, don't slam the cast iron pan on the range.

I had heard moving it about could scratch the surface, not that I'm constantly sliding my pans around but they do move from time to time

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

ive become certain that refined sugar is poison. its insane how easily you can trim down by just literally never eating candy or junk food. a little roll of hostess donettes or w/e are like 9999999 calories

Yeah I've gone low carb (not really keto because I don't keep my fat/protein macros in a keto ratio but I do keep net carbs under 20 a day) and religiously avoid refined sugars and it's led to:
less appetite, making dieting easier
significant weight loss
Just in general feeling better (the last time I had heartburn, for example, was around Christmas when I wasn't giving a gently caress)

I'm reading a book called The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes and one of the more interesting things in it so far is how sugar insinuated its way into our diet. For one thing, as we refined flour more and more, the yeast stopped being able to do anything because it had no fuel, so we started adding sugar to the baking process. That's why white bread can have so much goddamn sugar in it.

Then, when we went on the "dietary fat is bad for you!" kick, it was discovered that taking fat out of things also removed all the flavor, so sugar was added in to compensate. That's how you get extremely stupid poo poo like a pack of gummy bears being marketed as "a fat free food"

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

FacelessVoid posted:

Gary Taubes is a quack. He is a cholesterol denier and slanders doctors and scientists instead of actually engaging them. His been humiliated by fund raising a study that was supposed to support low-carb diets increased fat loss but actually showed that it slowed down fat loss. But not before pocketing millions of dollars of his donors money in executive compensation. You can read all about his misunderstandings here: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/gary-taubes-and-the-cause-of-obesity/

Basically, the only thing he gets right is that processed foods are bad.

*shrug* maybe so but low carb is literally the only thing that's ever worked for me so I'll stick with it and avoid sugar

What I've come to learn, personally, is that you do definitely have to restrict calories to lose weight; that whole "eat all the fat and protein you want in the right ratios and you'll just magically thin up and your appetite will be controlled" doesn't seem to be true for me. But low carb makes calorie restrictions possible for me, and eating refined sugar makes me hungry as hell no matter how much I stuff in my gob.

So maybe I won't take his word for it, necessarily, but nothing in the sugar book so far strikes me as unreasonable and I think it might be something he's right about even if it's accidentally.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

FacelessVoid posted:

Not trying to dunk on you or anything. A lot of people have success on low-carb diets. But I think there are health risks associated with it people should be aware of that characters like Taubes deny. Glad it's working for you.

Sincere question though--why do you need to go low-carb to avoid refined sugar? Does eating an apple make you tear into potato chips a minute later?

I guess I don't consider an apple refined sugar? And no, eating apples is fine and I can fit some of that into low carb. I have lately been deserting with raspberries in a low-cal whipped topping, for example. It's just that if I try to work serious carbs in (bread, hamburger buns, chips, whatever) all of a sudden my appetite explodes and I cannot keep to calorie counts because I constantly feel hungry. This then ultimately ends up with me giving up and chowing on the worst poo poo imaginable. I'm a recovering alcoholic and the behavior around that kind of food ultimately mirrors how I behaved with booze, weirdly. Maybe that ultimately is the processed food thing but for me it's the feeling of satiety that low carb gives me that allows me to stick to the calorie counts.

e: I didn't explain this well let me try again

If I ate a "normal" diet that was like 40% carbs, 30% each fat and protein, my appetite would be such that I would not be able to restrict calories with that ratio very well because I would be hungry all the time, which would wear down my willpower, which would cause bad decisions and exacerbate that problem. Eating as I currently am, which is < 10% carbs, at least 100g of protein a day (I weight lift and am trying to lose as little muscle as possible while dieting) and the rest fat, I do not have this issue and have been quite easily fitting under my aggressive, lose two pounds a week calorie restriction (and usually finish under that by hundreds of calories at the end of the week). So apples or raspberries or such carbs as fit under that limit in small doses are fine but if I started trying to fit hamburgers in my diet it'd be bad times.

fast cars loose anus has issued a correction as of 21:03 on May 2, 2022

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

cowboy beepboop posted:

it's pretty cool our food environment is so broken we need to do extreme stuff like this to stay healthy. thanks nutrition science!

I'm doing it because I need to drop a lot of weight. If I keep eating the type and quantities of foods I eat now after I drop all that weight, I won't have to track it and can be confident I can maintain my weight and be healthy, but if you want to change your body yeah you gotta track that poo poo

The reason we didn't use to have to track things was because food was a lot scarcer and life was a lot harder

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

this but all loving meat lol

hamburger is absurd and i haven't bought bacon in two years

The bacon ends and pieces pack are half the price of the "pretty" bacon packs at my store and have been fine for me

As a white person who got onto chicken thighs years ago I'm sorry but not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

cowboy beepboop posted:

actually you keep your leftover cooking fats (animal) in a dripping container. you can either reuse it or eat it on bread.

My grandad used to do that with bacon fat, just spread it between two slices and make a sandwich out of it. I assumed it was a product of depression era living and I've never tried it but I do save my bacon fat for throwing in with vegetables I'm cooking or what have you.