Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, Oath one drinking person for May!

One wizkids dude:

Super busy month, almost didn't oath, but had to get just one in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath complete!

Quick oath and a couple quicker pics of drinking dude:

Funny sometimes the figure reveals itself as you paint, I thought this guy was going to be a complete clod, but he ended up being more of a haggard vet...

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 1, 2022

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 1 Ghost Warrior Dude for June

Reaper bones mini:

Will include Smoothy... for some ghostly blending.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!

gameraMan posted:

I, gameraMan, oath 1 Ghost Warrior Dude for June

Reaper bones mini:

Will include Smoothy... for some ghostly blending.

Oath Addition!

like to try and add to my oath, almost forgot to post this, but also now i see my dude is blocking the date (but you can the date on the Ipad...)

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!

Original Oath, 1 Reaper Bones spirit dude:

Claiming blending challenge this month...

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!

gameraMan posted:

Oath Complete!

Original Oath, 1 Reaper Bones spirit dude:

Claiming blending challenge this month...

And oath addition if approved... a couple more spirit dudes:

An interesting project, first time I've tried to work on these translucent guys, and tried to keep some part actually translucent. Ended up being a combination of glazes on the translucent parts and blends on the highlights.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!

Zark the Damned posted:

Approved (June catch up)

Spreadsheet should now be up to date, please double check I've not missed your stuff! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hu8_xBY5V4AIG0vAjUxpZMsHgUA6OP7lwjaiEaKsfGE/edit#gid=12

Addition is fine, but please be sure to put additions along with the original figures in the same completion post or it becomes a pain collating the galleries :)

thanks will do!!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 1 Troll for August!

Old school Ral Partha troll:

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!

One Emoting Troll:

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, oath 1 Earthdawn Troll for September!

Heartbreaker troll warrior dude:

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
September Oath Complete!

1 Heartbreaker Troll I've had around since the early 90's:

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I gameraMan oath 1 Undead Frost Giant for October!

One Wizkids giant mini just in time for October, going for Spooky of course:

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!

Undead frost giant:

Of course quite Spooky, fun Halloween project.

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 1, 2022

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 3 monsters for November!

1 Nozlur's Shambling Mound

1 Reaper's Eye Beast

1 Reaper's Brain Horror

Will work shiny for some slimy stuff.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!

Monsters!

Claiming Shiny for at least one shiny eyeball, and overall sliminess...

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 1 Owlbear for December!

Nozlur's owlbear we've seen a few times before, hanging out on a holiday candy...

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete![b]

Plenty of Owlbear [b]Texture

I had a different color scheme in mind but ended up just kind of liking this simple look...

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!

Ashcans posted:

That came out really nice!

(assuming directed at my owlbear...) thanks Ashcans!!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 1 Deadwalker Zombie for January!

1 Citadel Reanimated Horde of the Rotting Dead!

Which I nearly forgot to post the oath for but here it is...

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!

Not a great month for painting so just this one guy, couple of 'eh' pics:

This guy was very much a victim of bad priming, it was just too cold and damp around here and the whole thing was a struggle after I started it (I should have spent more time fixing the prime, then trying to clean up w/layers of paint)

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 1, 2023

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, Oath 3 more Undead for Feb!

3 recently reanimated GW age of sigmar undead folk

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!

Reanimated undead sorts of people

Claiming Making a splash... with some water effects on the base

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 3 gross monsters for March!

Reaper Dung Monster, and stone cold classic Grenadier Roper and Otyugh (from my original boxed set, unpainted since 1982):

Was not feeling terribly inspired, when I'm not I usually pick a few figs I don't like much (that Otyugh is just plain goofy) and just see where they take me.

Probably do some variation of Shades for each...

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 23, 2023

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
March Oath Complete!

3 Gross Monsters, with variations of Shades.

Finally decided I'd go with some early AD&D weirdness, from the Manual of the Planes I found a random table including a 'Fire Roper' and a 'Fire Otyugh'. Going along with a sort of an inner planar vibe, I present 1 Fire Roper, 1 Ash Otyugh and 1 Ice Dung Monster:

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, Oath 1 Graveyard Diorama and Zombies

After being gifted the Games Workshop 'reanimated undead' boxed set I decided to take the concept a bit further and do a full diorama:

Including Weathering on the buildings. One full GW undead fig and a bunch of GW bits including the gravestones, the rest is from Hirst Arts molds and by hand.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!

Graveyard Diorama and Zombies, with a fair amount of weathering on the building and stonework:

The next couple pictures include zombie figs from a couple months ago:

With an all together now for the year...

Now I managed to find all my monster figs to include in the pic, however I painted one regular dude with a beer at the start of the season and he has completely vanished from my collection, hmm... (So I just copied in an old pic)

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
For several seasons I have found the oath thread to be very motivating to get me to paint, so for purely selfish reasons I'd love to see it keep going :-) I think at this point I've done the achievements enough times that I haven't worried about them much lately, but I do try to keep doing the monthly's especially when I'm not in the mood to do anything in particular for a given month. Anyhow really appreciate the judging, and I think if we don't 'officially' keep oathing I will unofficially oath in some thread or other....

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!

Zark the Damned posted:

Final Season 13 gallery now up - https://imgur.com/a/BTkximg

Having put some more thought into continuing, I've settled on a couple options.

1. If someone's willing to step up and take care of admin, I'll hand over the details for the spreadsheets and gallery etc.
2, Otherwise I'll need to figure out a simpler system without as many overheads, a more casual Oath season.

Hey so I was going to post a proposal for a much more casual approach, I was going to suggest just a new 'Painting Promise' thread with the following changes:
- No points, no achievements, no ranking
- Post unpainted figs for the promise, but don't need the timeserver screenshot
- No actual judging however pointing out what you like about other people's work is encouraged
- Maybe include the monthly challenges since those are often inspirational (but maybe randomized...)

I know for me, things like the achievements aren't as much of a driver after a few years, however I pretty much have a psychological dependency on just doing the oath every month to keep myself painting, and so just having a Painting Promise thread would be enough for me, and maybe fine for others too.

On the other hand, I'd be willing to pick up some admin work if that will help keep the thread going (and I do plenty of Excel IRL so I think I can deal with that.)

Thoughts?

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

However, I would still prefer oaths to be "monthly" because it pushes me to paint and post something every month. Its really good incentive for me.

I totally agree on the 'monthly' part, but also there's a few projects I wish I had more than a month to work on (like my graveyard scene last month). So I was thinking of including something like a 'monthly affirmation' for longer projects, maybe post a progress pic each month. But yea trying to combine flexibility, with something like a monthly driver to make progress on projects.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I've written up an OP for this new Promise thread and are looking for your inputs. If I don't hear something like 'no, we'll re-start the Oath thread instead', I will post this in a couple of days:

SA Painting Promise Thread Season 1
Welcome to the Painting Promise Thread!

This is a place to make a promise to complete a miniatures painting project, typically monthly, however you can promise whatever start and end dates makes sense for your own project. Both miniatures projects and scenery projects (and the combination of the two) are welcome. Promises are typically made for painting unfinished figures and scenery, however feel free to promise key renovations of painted figures, overhauls, whatever it is the work you want to do for the month.

The purpose of this thread is to help motivate us painters and hobbyists who just require deadlines to get anything done, and also any discussion about whatever projects people are working on.

Wait what happened to the Oath thread?
The Oath thread has been retired in favor of this new (and much more relaxed) Promise thread, more about that later.

What are the rules
There are no rules.

Ok then, what are the 'guidelines'
  1. Make a post including a picture of your unfinished mini, in whatever state you want to start your project. Use an online image hosting service like Imgur and link your images from there. Optionally you may want to include a picture of your starting image with Current Time in American Samoa in view behind the picture. This may be your tradition from the Oath thread that you want to continue, or else you might just find it useful to help keep track of the history of your projects this way.
  2. When you are complete, post a picture of your completed work in whatever setting you choose.
  3. Progress pictures are welcome and discussion of your work and others is encouraged.
  4. You may want to include a 'watermark' of your SA user name as part of the with start and completion pictures, but this is not required. (As there are no rules).
  5. There will be an optional[1] monthly challenge that is TBD, that might be a choice of a couple, and might be randomized.
  6. Recommend if you have a project crossing month boundaries, and/or taking longer than a month, making a 'monthly affirmation' ideally with a progress photo, to help keep you motivated and so we get to see what you are doing.
So how does this differ from the Oath thread?
No points, judges, spreadsheet, achivements, galleries.
Setting your own time frames for painting.

Resources
Links that might be useful when thinking about your projects:

1. Season 13 (for inspiration)
  2. Season 13 Spreadsheet
  3. Current Time in American Samoa
So... why the change from the Oathing thread?
Over the last couple years attendance and judging dropped off, and for the die hard Oathers there was less and less interest in the competitive aspect. At the end of season 13 it was generally agreed that we wanted some kind of 'oath' thread, just a lot more relaxed (and ideally a lot less work to administrate), so this new Promise thread was proposed. The Oath threads were great motivators and certainly kick started a new era of minis painting and scenery projects for me, and it's worth digging through the old threads and see all the great work that was done.

So welcome to the Painting Promise thread, and remember it's a promise you make to yourself!

[1] As there are no rules.

======================

All inputs welcome, thanks!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
We have Opinions!

Beffer posted:

I think this is a good idea, and I need some motivation so may have a go. But one suggestion/request: I always liked the photos with the American Samoa time stamp. It seems like SA history and would be a pity to lose this odd little tradition.

followed by...

Bad Decision Dino posted:

I am a very irregular participant, but I would really like a more relaxed format (preferably without the timed photo).

Given at least a couple people would rather not do the timed photo I think best to not 'enforce' this (which we can't anyway), however I think I will add a 'Traditions' section with this as an item.

Destrado posted:

I think it's okay to just keep calling them oaths if the timelines become self-set, painting promise just lacks the same energy.

So I hesitate to keep the 'Oath' term for this new thread, just so we can have a clear distinction between this thread and the old set of threads . But also I'd rather not claim the Oath title on this thread unless we get the ok from Zark since it was his thread last. If I can figure out how to set up a vote perhaps we can vote on the title...

moths posted:

I feel like "Prompt" might be a better choice than "Theme" for the monthly. It's a little more consistent with the other collective creative things out there

I agree with this and will change it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Ok sounds like everyone is in on Casual Oathing! I'm gonna go ahead and launch this new thing, and we'll just have to tune things as we go. Thanks for all the discussion!