Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Late to the party this month because work is kicking my rear end, but I don't want to start off the new season with completely missing it. :(

I, Ashcans, oath these two Marvel Crisis Protocol cars for May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

Not a great start to the new season, I am wholly disappointed with these. :( I had a real tough month, and that combined with making some poor choices on how to approach these (like painting them white and yellow) means that it was all a struggle and mess. I'm calling them done as they are terrain pieces and they'll be good enough for the table, even if they're not where I wanted them to be. Boo!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one Marvel Crisis Protocol Red Skull for June

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one Adepta Sororitas Immolator for July.

I had previously worked on the turret for this (not included here) so I will be using Rescue Ranger as I am working to complete a started model. Let me know if you need a picture of the turret I guess?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

As a reminder, this was a Rescue Ranger, as I had already started the tank by painting the turret - so I dunno, maybe exclude that from consideration? I am claiming the monthly for the burning braziers on the chassis.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath this converted Adepta Sororitas Dogmata for August

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

One converted Adepta Sororitas Dogmata, using the Repentia Superior body from the combat patrol and some pieces from the Novitiates kill team

Claiming the monthly bonus for the conversion work!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath Ms. Marvel (regular and embiggened) from Marvel Crisis Protocol for September

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

By your command!

Oath complete!

No challenge this month, I didn't have anything that would work quite right.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath this Reaper spooky guy for October

Sorry, he is out of my box of Bones and I have no idea what he is or what line he is attached to!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

Claiming the monthly challenge as he is a spooky monster!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath this Reaper Bones Greek Hero for November

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I had grand plans for this guy that kept getting scaled back as I continuously screwed up the NMM and had keep reappraising my ability. So now I'm mostly just mad, but he's done so there we go. I will still claim the challenge for the NMM attempted.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 1 Red Gobbo and Bounca for December

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath complete

Claiming the monthly for the snow effects on the base. Happy New Year, thread-goers!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That came out really nice!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

gameraMan posted:

(assuming directed at my owlbear...) thanks Ashcans!!

It was! The texture came out really nice.

I, Ashcans, oath 1 MCP Quicksilver for January

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath complete

I am always terrible with remembering to take in-progress pictures, but I did include a couple in [url=https://imgur.com/a/GEtcFyz]gallery[url]. I'm bad at this!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one GW Adeputs Sororitas Paragon Warsuit for February

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oh wow, thank you for that! Very proud of the Immolator.

Speaking of Sisters... Oath Complete

There are no water effects, so I guess I fall short there. Also sorry for the lovely photo bloom, I had to take them this morning before work.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 1 Spider-Man Noir for March

This is a resin print of a 3rd party design, although I'm going to try and use it for Marvel Crisis Protocol as a proxy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath complete!

Claiming Shades of Grey as this is painted only using grey to imitate Spider-Man Noir's appearance in Into the Spiderverse - excepting the rubik's cube, which I think falls under the 'accent' option.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one Reaper Bones Bronze Golem thingy for April

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I am claiming the monthly challenge for the patina on the bronze of this golem.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Zark the Damned posted:

OK, Season 13 is officially done barring some admin. Thanks again to everyone who participated!

Is there any interest for a season 14? Participation seems to have dropped off significantly in the past few months. Also, there doesn't seem to have been much engagement with the achievements or monthly challenges, not sure if this is general lack of interest or if it's the specific ones.

Thank you for running the thread! I would keep going for another season. Maybe we can hit the various model threads and see about raising some more participation? I really benefit from this because it keeps me painting each month, even if only a little bit.

I do enjoy the monthly themes, they are good for inspiration when I am not sure what I want to paint at all. I am terrible about the achievements, but that is more about me than them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

gameraMan posted:

Hey so I was going to post a proposal for a much more casual approach, I was going to suggest just a new 'Painting Promise' thread with the following changes:
- No points, no achievements, no ranking
- Post unpainted figs for the promise, but don't need the timeserver screenshot
- No actual judging however pointing out what you like about other people's work is encouraged
- Maybe include the monthly challenges since those are often inspirational (but maybe randomized...)

I know for me, things like the achievements aren't as much of a driver after a few years, however I pretty much have a psychological dependency on just doing the oath every month to keep myself painting, and so just having a Painting Promise thread would be enough for me, and maybe fine for others too.

On the other hand, I'd be willing to pick up some admin work if that will help keep the thread going (and I do plenty of Excel IRL so I think I can deal with that.)

Thoughts?
I am definitely down with a more casual version; I have to admit that I don't worry at all about points and I am really terrible about following achievements. I would be down for posting unpainted figures with a pledge, then conclusion pictures when done - my preference is to keep it monthly but that can be changed if people like. We can probably say farewell to the judging, without points we get the same thing just acknowledging people directly.

I enjoy the monthly challenges - they help provide some inspiration when I don't know what I want to work on and encourage me to push on a miniature more than I might otherwise. So it would be cool if we could keep that (even just repeat the options from prior years if that's simpler)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I would like to keep the Monthly Theme/Prompt as part of the thread, even if we don't require anyone to follow a monthly promise. So if you want to to make a pledge to complete something in a week, or by a specific tournament, that's fine, but we could still set each month to have a particular prompt for people who want the inspiration or challenge for it. I know personally it is something I really like in the threads.

I don't care too much about terms but for what it's worth I think we can keep calling it 'oaths' without any issue - no one owns that term, the threads have been through lots of organizers, and I doubt anyone cares seeing as we're the ones keeping up with it. If they have strong feelings they can come participate to get their say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Link to the new thread for people who live in bookmarks: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032531&perpage=40&noseen=1