Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
loving hell Toyota! :magical:

I've got a 2006 Nissan Fuga 450GT Sport aka Infinity M45S and it too has 4WS, or "Rear Active Steering". Earlier Nissan HICAS systems like on the 300ZX, GT-R and others consist of a 2 stage PS pump feeding a conventional hydraulic rear rack, controlled by the HICAS ECU. By 2006 the hydraulic rack is replaced with a fairly compact electric rear rack that connects to the rear lower link/spring mount - in non-RAS cars the inner end is simply solidly mounted to the subframe.

Blue circle indicates where the rack end connects. I'm no super high performance driver, and I know people like to disable the earlier systems because they can leak and fail or "feel funny", but I like this implementation, I think it does add to the pretty good turn in this heavy lump has, and also pretty tight turning radius around town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
There's much myth and legend around it. The hydraulic versions - yeah they can leak and fail like a regular rack, and it's not worth fixing if they go. Otherwise, you remove it because race car or you wanna drift, which fair enough, or you remove it because guys on forums say you should. If it's working and none of those things apply, you just wanna drive it, leave it, it's fine. The modern electric versions are seemingly very reliable.

I've driven the Honda Prelude version, and you really feel the arse end move around on those things, on my Fuga you simply don't notice it working, it just does its thing. Modern electronics go a long way.

Just went on a dive: https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/a1871191/four-wheel-steering-demystified/

Honda’s first 4WS system, launched in April 1987 on the Prelude, was all mechanical, using a shaft to connect the front-steering rack to a slider operating the rear tie rods.

Mazda’s 4WS, introduced on the Capella/626/MX-6 used a rear-steering shaft to transmit steering angle to a hydraulic actuator.

Mitsubishi’s system debuted on the Galant VR-4 in late 1987. It worked electro-hydraulically on the rear suspension links, with no mechanical connection between the front and rear wheels.

Toyota’s Dual-Mode 4WS, first introduced on the Japanese-market Celica in late 1989, was conceptually similar to Mazda’s, combining a steering shaft, rear hydraulics and computer controls.

Nissan have been through a few different designs, with the very early (R31) system barely a step above the passive rear angle designs that relied on flex in various bushings in the suspension and subframes, to the hydraulic rack, then electric versions.