Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i don't know if doing a perfect game of ff4 is the most depraved jrpg act ive ever undertaken but it's probably close

thus ends a year of 'i need something to occupy my hands while listening to podcasts' fodder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
anyone who thinks pink tails are the beginning and end of that game's obscenities haven't been through the looking glass mask

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
*1280 deathmasks

**3840 deathmasks

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
there's like three dozen items in that game with their singular source being an enemy or class of enemy's 1/64 chance drop when there's already a base 1/20 chance of a drop happening at all per enemy kill, and the scenario details can range from being a generous 5-8 of the relevant weak enemy in a common encounter to a 1/64 chance encounter you need a obscure resource to force fights with containing a solo enemy that's arduous as hell to kill and stay healthy for or the even more annoying option of an uncommon encounter you can't force. it's not all 'the elusive mid-tier cast stop on one target offensive item' material either, a lot of it is sick-rear end unique gear or summon acquisition.

ff4a which is my choice of preference makes some of this better and some of it worse with its awkward approach to encounter RNG and the introduction of a lot more items to concern yourself with while you're already playing calculus with ff4's extremely limited inventory space and fat bird bonus inventory space. there's a shitload of blink-and-you'll-miss-your-chance equipment scattered throughout the experience besides so you really need to be attentive to both that and massaging your use of available space as you go, especially any spring cleaning. there's enough give overall to have at least 1 of everything you can't otherwise purchase at endgame and less the things that can't be persisted by endgame or are a one-off part of trading sequences for other unique items but it's close. the biggest grant the new advance material gives are several enemies in its bonus postgame dungeon that give you a 1/6 chance at many of those formerly 1/64 chance drops. that and a permanently available source of the item that forces the rarest encounter in a room.

i recognize this is all baby bullshit in the face of mmos but im not that lost yet

Violen fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 23, 2022

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
a pink tail to trade for adamant armor is actually on the more generous end lol

the reason it's infamous is it's the most rewarding and obscure example with it giving the best chest piece in the game and relying on the rarest drop from an enemy that only shows up in one small side room of the final dungeon in the rarest encounter slot with that drop being a key item you can trade in with an already commonly known sidequest npc, so it got a lot of guide and retrospective play over the years, but at the end of the day it's an encounter you can force every time against 5 of the enemy at once, so even with them being slog enemies in their own right you've got a 1/256 shot at getting a tail per fight

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that's the real innovation of ffx: it has both

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
nothing in ffx is more sadistic than the lightning towers in x-2 and i'm genuinely shocked they never made it a trophy in the hd collection

i mean these people made getting all of gau's rages an achievement once they know no bounds

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i still think hippaul is crown king though

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
zidane's shrug and dagger pounding his chest is the cutest moment in any video game

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
bobby corwin

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
my entire elden ring experience was smashing a giant hammer into everything until it got stunned and eventually died no matter how practical or painful and id do it again in a heartbeat

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
my friends have been dragging me down the randomizer and multiworld rabbit holes lately and after doing a stock standard normal difficulty 3-person smz3 playthrough ive got the bug and generated a varia seed just sight unseen using the veteran difficulty preset configuration they offer and it's morphed into trying out as many listed tricks as i can and a lot of pointless experimentation and 'hey i wonder if i could- ' tangents because i've lost everything i ever had with properly depraved super metroid gameplay and have parked at '100%ed it for the first time since college before dread and a few times since' and i want to get back into the sicko poo poo. anyway this is the state it's left my brain in so far (also my ancient relic of a laptop combined with snes9x's built-in avi recording make for obnoxious sound desync but not obnoxious enough to outweigh my laziness): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o57ev8TQic

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
just learned about moondance in super metroid and tried it and was gobsmacked when it actually worked.

that's the actual stupidest trick of all time and i mean that in a good way

schoolyard rumor-rear end tech

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
hey billy guess what i heard there was a way to get to the etecoon room without power bombs, what you do is you bomb out these 14 of 19 blocks in this pattern and then hold l, r, left, a and select with the secret moonwalk option turned on and then you release moonwalk 176 times and then you go over and fall through the floor and get mew

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWZZhzKbPs

what am i doing with my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
im never allowed to look at my elden ring hours