Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
just violently threw up. one of the things estrogen has done is give me crazy hangovers lol, guess it's another sign to stop drinking!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

dioxazine posted:

start drinking

alcohol does not touch these lips.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im dryin up again for the new job. Woke up this morning feelin' like a million bucks. had some coffee, now cleaning the kitchen and gettin ready to do laundry while i'm re-seasoning my wok in the oven

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

is seasoning cast iron pans real or is that just a meme. my fiance told me it's a dumb meme but i still see people talk about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
anything that's untreated steel or iron needs to be seasoned. basically you oil it and run it hot enough that the oil polymerizes and makes a sort of nonstick surface. My preferred method for cast iron is to cook up a bunch of bacon in it (this is sacrificial if the pan isnt already seasoned - do not eat), then use a paper towel to rub the bacon fat all over the inside and outside, and oven it for an hour or so. For the wok, I use flaxseed oil - coat inside and out, place upside down in oven, same thing.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah you gotta season to keep it from rusting and also keeping up with seasoning is what keeps the surface non sticky

efb

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

but doesnt thorough cleaning just get rid of that anyway?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that's why you don't scour cast iron unless you want to reseason it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

is seasoning cast iron pans real or is that just a meme. my fiance told me it's a dumb meme but i still see people talk about it

yes its real and its done because cast iron exposed directly to air and moisture will rust. it will also prevent food from sticking which makes cooking and cleaning easier.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

when properly seasoned, cleaning a cast iron pan is just hit it with the sprayer in your sink and wipe it down w/ a paper towl. altho i also like to spritz it with some oil.

heavily cleaning it every time will just mean you need to heavily clean it every time which i guess you can do if you want but its easier to just leave it seasoned

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Lady Radia posted:

here's how i clean my cast iron

after i cook, i do a quick wipe out of the pan. if your seasoning is good, this will get 99% of stuff out. then i put it on high for about 5 mins until its just ripping hot. then i pour in a cup of water which will insta boil and lift off anything that got caked or stuck on. pour that out, dump in a handful of salt, scrub for 30s with a wadded up paper towel, dump that out. done

Fire purifies all

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

fart simpson posted:

i drank a beer

same.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

coffee tastes better on the weekend

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lady Radia posted:

no

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

an unseasoned cast iron skillet looks like this

and after seasoning it looks like this

you can unseason it back down to the bare metal but it’s a whole process and won’t happen by accident with some soap and a sponge or anything

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

also that bare metal one will rust unbelievably fast just from moisture in the air. any actual water gets on it and it will turn bright red in under an hour

it’s the same with carbon steel pans and woks

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

did an hour of exercise bike while watching star trek voyager

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fine, i'll join pan chat

i like my seasoned one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

did an hour of exercise bike while watching star trek voyager

double punishment!!!!!

---

i start my new job tomorrow so im gonna get a haircut and buy a shirt later

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

idk I have a soft spot for voyager since it was on during my early formative years. it works well enough to distract me from all the pedaling

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i watch it all the time too, we're allowed to talk a little poo poo about it tho

i dont like enterprise and got like 3 eps into discovery before i fell asleep

lower decks is real good

idk what is up with the new series

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

do I want to rearrange the room for some beat saber? I dunno

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sunday status: just scrubbed and bleached the kitchen sink, and you should too!

Now thawing out some cod for ~~~~ korean fried fish ~~~~ for dinner.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

i got a le creuset one as a gift and have done absolutely nothing special for it other than not putting it in the dishwasher and it still works great.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

here's how i clean my cast iron

after i cook, i do a quick wipe out of the pan. if your seasoning is good, this will get 99% of stuff out. then i put it on high for about 5 mins until its just ripping hot. then i pour in a cup of water which will insta boil and lift off anything that got caked or stuck on. pour that out, dump in a handful of salt, scrub for 30s with a wadded up paper towel, dump that out. done

Fire purifies all

e.g. i don't do this I use a scrubber and soap like for everything else.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

distortion park posted:

i got a le creuset one as a gift and have done absolutely nothing special for it other than not putting it in the dishwasher and it still works great.

le creuset is special, its ceramic coated (unless you somehow got ahold of raw iron le creuset?) . it can be treated like any other boring cookware.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

le creuset is special, its ceramic coated (unless you somehow got ahold of raw iron le creuset?) . it can be treated like any other boring cookware.

ah ok that's cool to know! it just says cast iron on the packaging so I assumed it was like all the other ones. I love it, makes all my vegetables taste way better

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's very good stuff but to me it's like rolex, its super tacky to buy it for yourself but its the perfect wedding/promotion gift. i know tori has a full stack of it and says its pretty good. i'm a cantankerous greybeard so i like the plain old lodge uncoated stuff

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

woah I just looked it up and it's dishwasher safe. you just saved me idk how many hours over the rest of my life

Jonny 290 posted:

it's very good stuff but to me it's like rolex, its super tacky to buy it for yourself but its the perfect wedding/promotion gift. i know tori has a full stack of it and says its pretty good. i'm a cantankerous greybeard so i like the plain old lodge uncoated stuff

Yeah we got a Dutch oven as a gift as well. Both bits look great, match our kitchen (lol), and cook really nice food. especially for the dutch oven though I see off brand versions at all the shops and I don't see why they wouldn't perform just as well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve cost a cast irons that’s enameled on the outside. the cooking surface is bare iron

spose it means less to gently caress up? idk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's nice because the outside of raw skillets gets _super grody_ over time. Usually every other year i take this thing out in the yard and wire-wheel the petrified gunk on the outside away, then reseason.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

distortion park posted:

woah I just looked it up and it's dishwasher safe. you just saved me idk how many hours over the rest of my life

Yeah we got a Dutch oven as a gift as well. Both bits look great, match our kitchen (lol), and cook really nice food. especially for the dutch oven though I see off brand versions at all the shops and I don't see why they wouldn't perform just as well

they mostly do cook as well but the really cheap ones might not be that durable. the enamel will crack easily

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
step 1

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

echinopsis posted:

i’ve cost a cast irons that’s enameled on the outside. the cooking surface is bare iron

spose it means less to gently caress up? idk

That's the same as the La Cruwhatever ones as well, it's really good.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

how my weekend is going

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

how my weekend is going

what are you doing in my jr high computer lab?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

send help

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I heard that blender has finally caught up to bryce3d. at least on the daily builds

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
You know if you guys want to add another Sunday to this weekend I'd be on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
went to a drag show where no one bought any lights, so it rapidly became drag show in the dark.
made two medium pans of lasagna for lunch and board games with gays
played some video, dooted some synth, swam for an hour