Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

is seasoning cast iron pans real or is that just a meme. my fiance told me it's a dumb meme but i still see people talk about it

i got a le creuset one as a gift and have done absolutely nothing special for it other than not putting it in the dishwasher and it still works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

here's how i clean my cast iron

after i cook, i do a quick wipe out of the pan. if your seasoning is good, this will get 99% of stuff out. then i put it on high for about 5 mins until its just ripping hot. then i pour in a cup of water which will insta boil and lift off anything that got caked or stuck on. pour that out, dump in a handful of salt, scrub for 30s with a wadded up paper towel, dump that out. done

Fire purifies all

e.g. i don't do this I use a scrubber and soap like for everything else.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

le creuset is special, its ceramic coated (unless you somehow got ahold of raw iron le creuset?) . it can be treated like any other boring cookware.

ah ok that's cool to know! it just says cast iron on the packaging so I assumed it was like all the other ones. I love it, makes all my vegetables taste way better

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

woah I just looked it up and it's dishwasher safe. you just saved me idk how many hours over the rest of my life

Jonny 290 posted:

it's very good stuff but to me it's like rolex, its super tacky to buy it for yourself but its the perfect wedding/promotion gift. i know tori has a full stack of it and says its pretty good. i'm a cantankerous greybeard so i like the plain old lodge uncoated stuff

Yeah we got a Dutch oven as a gift as well. Both bits look great, match our kitchen (lol), and cook really nice food. especially for the dutch oven though I see off brand versions at all the shops and I don't see why they wouldn't perform just as well

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Moo Cowabunga posted:

monday is nearly over yo

monday is a holiday for me, still the weekend!