Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pee pee doo doo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im dryin up again for the new job. Woke up this morning feelin' like a million bucks. had some coffee, now cleaning the kitchen and gettin ready to do laundry while i'm re-seasoning my wok in the oven

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
anything that's untreated steel or iron needs to be seasoned. basically you oil it and run it hot enough that the oil polymerizes and makes a sort of nonstick surface. My preferred method for cast iron is to cook up a bunch of bacon in it (this is sacrificial if the pan isnt already seasoned - do not eat), then use a paper towel to rub the bacon fat all over the inside and outside, and oven it for an hour or so. For the wok, I use flaxseed oil - coat inside and out, place upside down in oven, same thing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Lady Radia posted:

but doesnt thorough cleaning just get rid of that anyway?

here's how i clean my cast iron

after i cook, i do a quick wipe out of the pan. if your seasoning is good, this will get 99% of stuff out. then i put it on high for about 5 mins until its just ripping hot. then i pour in a cup of water which will insta boil and lift off anything that got caked or stuck on. pour that out, dump in a handful of salt, scrub for 30s with a wadded up paper towel, dump that out. done

Fire purifies all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

did an hour of exercise bike while watching star trek voyager

double punishment!!!!!

---

i start my new job tomorrow so im gonna get a haircut and buy a shirt later

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i watch it all the time too, we're allowed to talk a little poo poo about it tho

i dont like enterprise and got like 3 eps into discovery before i fell asleep

lower decks is real good

idk what is up with the new series

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sunday status: just scrubbed and bleached the kitchen sink, and you should too!

Now thawing out some cod for ~~~~ korean fried fish ~~~~ for dinner.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

distortion park posted:

i got a le creuset one as a gift and have done absolutely nothing special for it other than not putting it in the dishwasher and it still works great.

le creuset is special, its ceramic coated (unless you somehow got ahold of raw iron le creuset?) . it can be treated like any other boring cookware.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's very good stuff but to me it's like rolex, its super tacky to buy it for yourself but its the perfect wedding/promotion gift. i know tori has a full stack of it and says its pretty good. i'm a cantankerous greybeard so i like the plain old lodge uncoated stuff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's nice because the outside of raw skillets gets _super grody_ over time. Usually every other year i take this thing out in the yard and wire-wheel the petrified gunk on the outside away, then reseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cast iron is like the lowest possible cost per year cookware you can buy. even if you gently caress it up you can 100% restore it with a $1.99 wire wheel on a drill and a nickel's worth of veg oil