Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Capitalism, in its first real challenge of the 21st century, has been shown to have failed humanity as a whole over the almost 3 years this plague has existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Next you'll tell us the sky is blue and water is wet

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I have bad news for you op

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
interesting op, but I've been told this was all actually caused by identity politics. maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle...

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's totally failed to cure cancer too despite that existing for hundreds of years, this is bullSHIT!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

Capitalism, in its first real challenge of the 21st century, has been shown to have failed humanity as a whole over the almost 3 years this plague has existed.

I don't think it was the first real challenge, or problem, of capitalism in the 21st century. Just off the top of my head, the 2008 banking collapse was pretty real.

It kept itself more or less running throughout - nobody starved that wasn't already, as far as I know, electricity wasn't going out across the world. Consumer products continued to be made and sold, which is less pertinent, but that's the level it managed to keep operating at via various economic lifelines like furlough and stimulus cheques. The total economic chaos and mass unemployment people were afraid of hasn't really happened. Health care has struggled, but that could have happened in a fully communist society that had limited capacity without the means to immediately scale up staff and resources.

If it failed on the grounds of how many people have died, then the results aren't uniform across the world. New Zealand and Scotland have similar populations, but NZ has had 900 deaths where Scotland has had 12,000. It varies hugely due to the specific things each government chose to do, and all of the governments in the world that I'm talking about are capitalist.

I'm anti-capitalist and I'm not saying that if we had a different system that things wouldn't have been far better, but I don't see how capitalism failed in particular with covid, any more than it has always been a failure due to its basic mechanics. It preserved itself where it had to, and there was no apocalyptic drop in living standards. The deaths even in the worst countries were far lower than the worst predictions, and so on.

It's more frustrating to observe how much it hasn't failed and will continue on without any meaningful improvement.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 30, 2022

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I think we can focus on one thing. No need for idiots to be sidelining derails

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Covid.... invented in lab, for the great reset.... enough bodies.. . to depress the reset button on a 50 storey tall sega genesis...

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
It's working for me. Maybe try getting a job?

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

roomtone posted:

I don't think it was the first real challenge, or problem, of capitalism in the 21st century. Just off the top of my head, the 2008 banking collapse was pretty real.

It kept itself more or less running throughout - nobody starved that wasn't already, as far as I know, electricity wasn't going out across the world. Consumer products continued to be made and sold, which is less pertinent, but that's the level it managed to keep operating at via various economic lifelines like furlough and stimulus cheques. The total economic chaos and mass unemployment people were afraid of hasn't really happened. Health care has struggled, but that could have happened in a fully communist society that had limited capacity without the means to immediately scale up staff and resources.

If it failed on the grounds of how many people have died, then the results aren't uniform across the world. New Zealand and Scotland have similar populations, but NZ has had 900 deaths where Scotland has had 12,000. It varies hugely due to the specific things each government chose to do, and all of the governments in the world that I'm talking about are capitalist.

I'm anti-capitalist and I'm not saying that if we had a different system that things wouldn't have been far better, but I don't see how capitalism failed in particular with covid, any more than it has always been a failure due to its basic mechanics. It preserved itself where it had to, and there was no apocalyptic drop in living standards. The deaths even in the worst countries were far lower than the worst predictions, and so on.

I think we can use an example of failure as an example of failure.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

I agree, but with your posts :iceburn:

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Anyone experienced in getting their sons off rape charges by using money may think otherwise.

But i'm not wrong.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

so you don't have any points

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

roomtone posted:

so you don't have any points

I don't think I'm wrong or need to defend what I have said.

Facts are facts. If you feel I'm wrong the onus is on you to talk, not me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i did and you've said nothing

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've collected my thoughts on capitalism, the 21st century, and this thread:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

roomtone posted:

i did and you've said nothing

You used a lot of words. You said little.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

roomtone posted:

It's more frustrating to observe how much it hasn't failed and will continue on without any meaningful improvement.

But enough about my marriage!

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
But…the future refused to change.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

roomtone posted:

I don't see how capitalism failed in particular with covid, any more than it has always been a failure due to its basic mechanics.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

sounds like something your local congressperson would be interested in addressing, if they only knew it were a problem

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Literally world wide plague that killed and can work from home was the result.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
where do i keep working and living on money while a plague is ignored and fobbed off by capitalism

OSHA doesnt have a virulent virus thing or is that just Union

Billy Ray Blowjob fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 30, 2022

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Literally world wide plague that killed and can work from home was the result.

You got to work from home?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
sounds like someone didn't buy stock in COVID back in 2019. a little jealous are we? :smug:

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

down n out posted:

You got to work from home?

No, I biked in alone, on empty streets, to sit in the office alone.

I love my job and need to support my clients.

Billy Ray Blowjob fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 30, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

roomtone posted:

The OP is a ding dong but I think the US government keeping vital information about the virus from the public and otherwise not announcing it was here until a bunch of rich people dumped their stocks is worth making a note of.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Look at this fool who's still whining about capitalism when the real threat to human existence are calvinists like Trump and Putin who are being commanded by the laws of physics to murder the world. Even old school capitalists are driven before them.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Zero Covid and Zero Uighur policies show the superiority of Xi Thought over capitalism.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Covid.... invented in lab, for the great reset.... enough bodies.. . to depress the reset button on a 50 storey tall sega genesis...

I hated that part of the X-Men game

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
drat man u really are telling it like it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

in english class, we learned about the literary themes of conflict - man vs man, man vs nature, man vs self, etc.

it seems to me that capitalism is succeeding in all of these conflicts. it is helping man defeat the planet, defeat each other, defeat ourselves, and one day perhaps, even attack and dethrone god.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Bad Purchase posted:

in english class, we learned about the literary themes of conflict - man vs man, man vs nature, man vs self, etc.

it seems to me that capitalism is succeeding in all of these conflicts. it is helping man defeat the planet, defeat each other, defeat ourselves, and one day perhaps, even attack and dethrone god.

:captainpop: whoa, !

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
You suck Greg of Doom

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I haven’t gotten covid yet so as far as I’m concerned capitalism is working just fine.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I haven’t gotten covid yet so as far as I’m concerned capitalism is working just fine.

:hmmyes:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Bad Purchase posted:

As a heterosexual male, I'd rather see all these things defeated by women.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

no you see, that is man as in mankind, a gender neutral term as explained to me by my english teacher who was a WOMAN

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

no you see, that is man as in mankind, a gender neutral term as explained to me by my english teacher who was a WOMAN

I grew up in the 90s, so terms like man, and dude are totally gender neutral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We knew thousands of years ago you have to quarantine plague ridden areas but that would temporarily inconvenience business so instead we're all gonna die, lmao