Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Sweet! Put me down for at least 13 films too.

This is lucky for me, because I'm probably going on a family trip in October.

I'm probably going to try and watch some of the DVDs/blu-rays/UHDs I've accumulated, but I'll end up winging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

1.) Psycho
Alfred Hitchcock | 1960 | Blu-ray
I was a bit nervous before watching this because I’ve seen the shower scene parodied numerous times as a kid, and I had the twist spoiled by, of all things, a MAD magazine parody of the Cathy comic strip. But that concern was pretty silly, because it’s a fantastic film. I did not know that an embezzlement kicked the movie off, which I think was a neat premise. The setting is nice and creepy, Anthony Perkins is fantastic as Norman Bates, and I really liked the final scene. A really great film.
Rating: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Total: 1/13
New: 1
Rewatches: 0
My Letterboxd list (in progress)

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

2.) Mothra
Ishirō Honda | 1961 | Blu-ray

A fun little film. I’m not super knowledgeable about the Godzilla franchise, having only seen a smattering so I’m not certain what Godzilla was like at the time of Mothra’s release, so I don’t know how it stacks against it (the closest I’ve seen is the US version of King Kong vs Godzilla two years later, which probably isn’t the best comparison).

Overall, I liked it! Like some reviews have pointed out, it does feel more like King Kong than Godzilla, except it posits what “What if they stole Ann Darrow from Skull Island?” and recognizes Carl Denham as the real villain. I thought it was neat how the natives were given some agency in summoning Mothra to save the fairies. I should also point out Mothra is a pretty cool monster, especially with the “Oh, poo poo” moment of her metamorphosis.

One other thing I found interesting was the metaphor of America Russia America AND Russia Rolisica. It seems to be used as a criticism of American capitalism and imperialism, but by the end of the film there is this idea that we can still come together and it’s not too late for the US Rolisica to get their poo poo together.

I watched the Mill Creek blu-ray and I’m not certain how great the release is. They refer to Mothra, who is canonically female, with male pronouns and certain things are left untranslated such as Mothra’s Song, which is weird because it’s not in some fake language.

Rating: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: ½

Total: 2/13
New: 2
Rewatches: 0

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 3, 2022

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

3.) The Birds
Alfred Hitchcock | 1963 | Blu-ray
Rewatch

I remember watching this movie (and reading the novella) back in high school *indiscernible mumbling* years ago and just being bothered that there was never a reason given for the birds turning violent. It seems like a silly complaint in hindsight because I no longer think everything needs to be explained.

Sure, sometimes it can make a film underwhelming where there’s no buildup (Final Exam) but other times it’s more important that something happened than how something happened (Night of the Living Dead). That’s how I feel about The Birds.

Now I feel like I can appreciate the film more and enjoy the characters, relationships, and the setting. Yes, when the birds start really attacking it feels a little abrupt but I still think this is a great film. I know some people don’t like the film’s ending for being more ambiguous than the short story’s but I do think it works because in addition to the already hostile birds outside, the main characters are going to be traveling with a pair of lovebirds in the car.
Rating: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Total: 3/13
New: 2
Rewatches: 1

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Sorry for falling behind. I’m in the process of getting a new tv and it’s been a hassle, and there’s King of Gate and Best of the Super Juniors to watch.

4.) The Sadist
James Landis | 1963 | YouTube

Three schoolteachers are on their way to a Dodgers game only for their car to break down in front junkyard only to find it taken over by a gun-wielding psycho and his mute girlfriend who then takes them hostage.

This was a nice little surprise! It’s surprisingly tense and it has some great cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond. The actor playing the psycho is kinda goofy (MST3K fans will remember him from Eegah!), but overall he’s pretty good in the role.

Overall, a fun little movie.

5.) Season of the Witch/Hungry Wives
George Romero | 1972 | Blu-ray

A really cool feminist film about an unhappy (and abused) housewife turns to the occult as a way to cope. It’s really interesting and I think it’s really cool how the film kinda cuts between reality and dreams. Overall, I just found it effective how the film leaves it up to viewer whether or not any of the occult stuff is actually real.

6.) The Crazies
George Romero | 1973 | Blu-ray

I really dug this movie. It almost feels like the missing link between Night of the Living Dead and both Dawn and Day of the Dead with an incompetent and crumbling military overseeing a mass pandemic, along with heavy Vietnam parallels. It’s pretty cool and feels in a way almost like a zombie movie from point of view of the zombies (emphasis on almost). I also liked how it’s hard to tell with Clank, one of the protagonists, whether or not he’s infected or if he’s undergoing PTSD from his time in Vietnam.

Really good, and I do relish the opportunities to explore Romero’s non-Dead films.

Rating: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: ½

Total: 6/13
New: 5

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

:siren: CHALLENGES :siren:

:drac: 12. All Hail the King
- Watch a film based on the works of (or written by) Stephen King

7.) Firestarter (2022)
Keith Thomas | 2022 | AMC Theater

I’m not going to go too in-depth considering it is only just opening today but this was fine.

I never saw the original film or read the book (me read a book? Without pictures?! :barf: ) so I have nothing to compare it to. It wasn’t bad, and there were in fact some cool moments, but I wouldn’t say it grabbed me. I’m sure if you were familiar with King’s body of work you might feel differently though.

Rating: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Total: 7/13
New: 6
Challenges: 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022))

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

:siren: SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE :siren:

:spooky: Watch any film from the Friday the 13th franchise
- Does not need to be new to you
- You can also do a double feature of Never Hike Alone/Never Hike in the Snow, but it’s got to be both since they are each under an hour.
- You must watch it today and post your write up no later than tomorrow.

You can substitute this challenge for any other challenge you haven’t completed yet. Once again this for today only!

8.) Friday the 13th Part 2
Steve Miner | 1981 | Digital rental
(watching this in place of #7 Short Cuts)

It’s funny, I only watched the original Friday the 13th for the first time in 2019 at a friend’s house because it was Friday the 13th! (9/13/19)

So it’s only fitting that I watch the sequel on a Friday the 13th as well. I had fun! I don’t feel it’s quite as good as the original but there’s some cool stuff here too. It should feel odd in hindsight to have Jason take over as the franchise villain, but in all honesty it didn’t really faze me, perhaps because of cultural osmosis. He’s so iconic even if he wasn’t the original villain. That being said, I wasn’t digging the burlap sack, it just doesn’t feel right (which to be fair was acknowledged by like, everyone). And let me be frank, the kills were cool.

Overall, it was fun and I look to the next time the 13th is on a Friday so I can watch Part 3 :v:

Total: 8/13
New: 7
Challenges: X. SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE ( Friday the 13th Part 2), 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022))

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 15, 2022

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

You know I’ve been asking myself, “What movie could possibly follow a Friday the 13th film?” :thunk:

:siren: CHALLENGE :siren:

:kiddo: 3. Rated PG
- Watch a film rated PG or PG-13
- OR Watch the film Psycho Goreman

9.) Saturday the 14th
Howard R. Cohen | 1981 | Shudder

Disappointingly, despite what the title would lead you to believe, this film is not a parody of Friday the 13th (though weirdly enough the film takes place on “Elm St”, three years before Nightmare on Elm Street). Instead, it’s just a parody of old monster movies. It’s not particularly a great movie, but there are some cute jokes here and there though the parents, specifically the father, get kind of annoying after a while. The little twist at the end is neat though.

I mean I’ve definitely seen worse comedies but I also have seen much better ones too.

Apparently there’s a sequel, yet some how it’s not named “Sunday the 15th?!”

Rating: :ghost::ghost: ½

Total: 9/13
New: 8
Challenges: 3. Rated PG (Saturday the 14th ), X. SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE ( Friday the 13th Part 2), 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022))

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 17, 2022

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

10.) House
Nobuhiko Obayashi | 1977 | Blu-ray

I didn’t know what to expect when I put this into my blu-ray player, but man what a loving blast! Everything is done so well from the settings to the actors to the effects and to the music (especially the music!) I mean I understood that it was going to be a trippy movie, but I didn’t expect it to be so funny! Speaking of trippy, a lot of the effects were probably cheap but they work and work well! It’s honestly kind of mind-boggling that this was somebody trying to make their own Jaws!

Overall, an absolute blast and one that I’m glad to have finally watched.

Thanks, thread :)

Total: 10/13
New: 9
Challenges: 3. Rated PG (Saturday the 14th ), X. SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE (Friday the 13th Part 2), 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022))

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

:witch: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched
- Watch a folk horror film
- OR Watch the documentary Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched

11.) Men
Alex Garland | 2022 | AMC Theater

I originally wanted to say that I think I appreciated the movie, more than I liked it but I feel like that’s too negative because I did actually like it. Jessie Buckley and Rory Kinnear give terrific performances and I think it looks great visually with some great effects at the end. Much like Eggnogium mentioned in their review, the tunnel echo score is really cool. Again, like Eggnogium mentioned, I feel like I probably built it up too much in my head based on the trailers. It’s still a very good movie and it’s worth seeing in the theater if you’re up to it.

Total: 11/13
New: 10
Challenges: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched (Men), 3. Rated PG (Saturday the 14th ), X. SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE (Friday the 13th Part 2), 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022))

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

:woop: Guess who finally got a 4K TV! :woop:

:murder: 6. The King in Yellow
- Watch any giallo or giallo-influenced film

12.) The Bird with the Crystal Plumage ( L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo )
Dario Argento | 1970 | UHD

I wasn’t sure which version to watch (because they both seemed to be dubs), so I picked the English version

I don’t have much experience with giallo, as this only the second one I’ve seen (the first was Nightmare in October) but I really liked this! It looks amazing visually, and the music was great too. It was also surprisingly funny. I definitely will be checking out more giallo for the next challenge.

:10bux: 10. The Price is Right
- Watch a film featuring Vincent Price

13.) Dead Heat
Mark Goldblatt | 1988 | UHD

This film was a blast! Really funny with some cool effects, the highlight of course is the Chinese restaurant scene. There’s really no filler, it’s just a lot of fun and the end part is entertaining as hell. I do think we could’ve used a little more Vincent Price though.

:frogsiren: 13 FILMS WATCHED! GONNA KEEP GOING AND COMPLETE THE CHALLENGES! :frogsiren:

:ssh: 9. Hidden Gems
- Watch a film from Franchescanado's Letterboxd list of Horror Film Hidden Gems

14.) Night of the Creeps
Fred Dekker | 1986 | Blu-ray

I enjoyed this film, but it kind of felt a little disappointing and I can’t explain why. The film seems like it should be more fun than it is, but something feels off. I do think it’s good and there’s plenty of cool stuff in here and the climax reminds me of Brain Dead/Dead Alive .

:gaysper: 2. Scream, Queen!
- Watch a film by a LGBQT+ director

15.) The Lost Boys
Joel Schumacher | 1987 | Blu-ray

I really liked this! I knew of its reputation but I have to say I was still pleasantly surprised by how funny it was. There’s a lot of great lines out there especially “There’s one thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach… all the drat vampires” There’s some cool effects and the film has a really great atmosphere to it too. The final stretch is pretty great as well. A lot of fun.

Total: 15/13
New: 14
Challenges: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched (Men), 2. Scream, Queen! (The Lost Boys), 3. Rated PG (Saturday the 14th ), 6. The King in Yellow (The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), X. SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE (Friday the 13th Part 2), 9. Hidden Gems (Night of the Creeps), 10. The Price is Right (Dead Heat), 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022))

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

:spooky: 11. Horror Noire
- Watch a film directed by a black filmmaker
- OR Watch a film with themes that predominantly relate to POC. You will need to write about these themes in your review.

16.) Tales from the Hood
Rusty Cundieff | 1995 | Blu-ray

Other than Creepshow and Body Bags, I don’t think I have too much experience with horror anthologies, but I did like Tales from the Hood. It reminds me a lot of when I was reading those Fantagraphics EC Comics collections, in a good way. There’s some cool effects and kills, even the ending CGI was probably impressive for its time. The film also addresses a lot of issues that are still pretty relevant today such as spousal abuse, police brutality, and racist fucks being elected to positions of power.

While I did enjoy the movie, I feel like I would rate it higher if not for the fourth and final segment. The film is not very subtle, which works in its favor in the other three segments, doesn’t work in the fourth. One theme that I kinda picked up on is that there’s a place in Hell for POC (in this case, exclusively Black men) who betray and/or harm their own community. While this is apparent in the other parts: a rookie cop being pressured into not helping a community leader (part 1), a father beating his wife and son (part 2) or a PR consultant helping to get a former (maybe current) KKK member into office (part 3) but the 4th segment where it is really hammered in. I get what they’re going for but no, a gang member is not the same as a Klansman or a neo-Nazi. Also, I have to say regarding the first segment, Clarence is also a victim and it’s kind of lovely that it’s implied he’s in Hell.

I still think this is a very good movie and I should point out some of the performances such as David Allen Grier (even though I was spoiled by having seen Horror Noire and Clarence Williams III. As much as I was critical of the movie, it did stay with me longer than some of the other films I’ve watched for this challenge.

Total: 16/13
New: 15
Challenges: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched (Men), 2. Scream, Queen! (The Lost Boys), 3. Rated PG (Saturday the 14th ), 6. The King in Yellow (The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), X. SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE (Friday the 13th Part 2), 9. Hidden Gems (Night of the Creeps), 10. The Price is Right (Dead Heat), 11. Horror Noire (Tales from the Hood), 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022))

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

17.) Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Sam Raimi | 2022 | AMC Theater

I guess I can include this here. I thought this was a fun, yet slight little movie. It doesn’t quite meet the expectations one would expect from a Raimi production, nor does it really deliver on the promises of the title, but I still enjoyed myself. I’ve never watched Wandavision or What If?, but I was able to follow along without a problem, but then again I am a lapsed comics fan. There’s some cool visuals here and there and I always appreciate a good _____Bruce Campbell____ cameo. I wasn’t too keen on their portrayal of America Chavez though. Overall, better than the first Dr Strange film, but not anything you really need to drop everything and see.

:eng101: 5. Behind the Screams
- Watch a documentary about a horror film or filmmaker

18.) Birth of the Living Dead
Rob Kuhns | 2013 | Shudder

This was a really interesting documentary on Night of the Living Dead and its legacy. It’s mostly talking heads but when those heads include George Romero himself, then it leads to some very fascinating stuff. Romero himself is fun to listen to, but are other great interviewees as well, such as a teacher in NYC who uses the film to teach media literacy. I do wish they’d have talked about the other films in Romero’s Dead series, or talked about the role Duane Jones had in shaping the role of “Ben”. Still, it’s a really fun doc if you like zombie films and it was neat to see Bill Hinzman before his death.

Total: 18/13
New: 17
Challenges: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched (Men), 2. Scream, Queen! (The Lost Boys), 3. Rated PG (Saturday the 14th ), 5. Behind the Screams (Birth of the Living Dead), 6. The King in Yellow (The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), X. SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE (Friday the 13th Part 2), 9. Hidden Gems (Night of the Creeps), 10. The Price is Right (Dead Heat), 11. Horror Noire (Tales from the Hood), 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022))

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

:corsair: 13. Sins of the Past
- Watch a film released before 1950

19.) White Zombie
Victor Halperin | 1932 | Shudder

This really didn’t do much for me. It was interesting to see what a pre-Romero zombie movie felt like but it really didn’t grab me. Perhaps that was because of how short the movie is (1 hour, 7 minutes). There’s some interesting visuals and good music, and Bela Lugosi’s terrific, but that’s it. It might just be me being out of step with the world though. The version I watched on Shudder was kinda choppy so I don’t know if that’s the same with other services or physical releases.
Rating: :ghost: :ghost: ½

Total: 19/13
New: 18
Challenges: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched (Men), 2. Scream, Queen! (The Lost Boys), 3. Rated PG (Saturday the 14th ), 5. Behind the Screams (Birth of the Living Dead), 6. The King in Yellow (The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), X. SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE (Friday the 13th Part 2), 9. Hidden Gems (Night of the Creeps), 10. The Price is Right (Dead Heat), 11. Horror Noire (Tales from the Hood), 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022)), 13. Sins of the Past (White Zombie)

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

:sweden: 8. A Perfect Getaway
- Watch a film from a country you've never seen a film from.

20.) Troll Hunter ( Trolljegeren )
André Øvredal | 2010 | HBO Max
(Country: :norway:

This was a cool film. Some of it didn’t quite work for me, like I really didn’t care that much about the students but the troll hunter himself was cool. The premise itself was pretty neat and I thought that the battles with the trolls were well-done (the UV gun was pretty inventive).

:banjo: 4. Music of the Night
- Watch a horror musical
- OR watch a film that heavily features music and/or musicians as part of the plot

21.) Green Room
Jeremy Saulnier | 2015 | Kanopy

This movie was great! Very tense with some cool gore and I think Patrick Stewart’s performance as the head of a group of skinheads was excellent. I saw some reviews compare it to Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I have to agree. There are also some surprisingly funny moments as well, such as the final scene. I had been meaning to watch this for a while so I’m glad I could cross it off my list.

:frogsiren: All Challenges Complete! :frogsiren:
Total: 21/13
New: 18
Challenges: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched (Men), 2. Scream, Queen! (The Lost Boys), 3. Rated PG (Saturday the 14th ), 4. Music of the Night (Green Room), 5. Behind the Screams (Birth of the Living Dead), 6. The King in Yellow (The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), X. SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE (Friday the 13th Part 2), 8. A Perfect Getaway (Troll Hunter), 9. Hidden Gems (Night of the Creeps), 10. The Price is Right (Dead Heat), 11. Horror Noire (Tales from the Hood), 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022)), 13. Sins of the Past (White Zombie)

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

22.) Dawn of the Dead
George A. Romero | 1978 | UHD
Rewatch

My personal favorite of Romero’s Dead series, and one of my favorite films of all time. I think what makes it stand out for me is both the setting and the relationship between the protagonists and how that grows over the course of the film. Just drat good.

23.) Office Killer
Cindy Sherman | 1997 | Digital rental

I’ve got to say, this really didn’t do much for me. I don’t know what it is, everything seemed good but it just left me cold I guess, but that just might be a me thing. It was fun to see Carol Kane in a non-Kimmy Schmidt role though.
Rating: :ghost: :ghost: ½

24.) Parents
Bob Balaban | 1989 | Tubi

For a black comedy, this movie really isn’t that funny. This isn’t a complaint though, because this is probably one of the most unsettling films I’ve ever seen. Randy Quaid is fantastic as the father, and makes him a very frightening figure. The film also looks great visually. Someone in the MOTM thread said that it has a “movie movie look” to it and I have to agree. This might sound kinda dumb (because it probably is) but I kinda wish that the movie left it up to the viewer whether or not the parents were cannibals but I still really enjoyed the movie.

I think I’m going to call it here. I was going to try and see one more film for the challenge because it’s leaving Shudder, but I’ve got an early day tomorrow and I want to catch up to Best of the Super Jrs. I’ve met my goal and finished all the challenges, so I think this is a good place to stop.

Final Total: 24/13
New: 22
Rewatches: 2
Challenges: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched (Men), 2. Scream, Queen! (The Lost Boys), 3. Rated PG (Saturday the 14th ), 4. Music of the Night (Green Room), 5. Behind the Screams (Birth of the Living Dead), 6. The King in Yellow (The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), X. SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE (Friday the 13th Part 2), 8. A Perfect Getaway (Troll Hunter), 9. Hidden Gems (Night of the Creeps), 10. The Price is Right (Dead Heat), 11. Horror Noire (Tales from the Hood), 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022)), 13. Sins of the Past (White Zombie)
My Letterboxd list (complete!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Here’s my summary post:

My goal was 13 films and I ended up watching 24 (22 new and 2 rewatches) and completing all 13* challenges:

1.) Psycho (1960)
2.) Mothra (1961)
3.) The Birds (1963) (rewatch)
4.) The Sadist (1963)
5.) Season of the Witch (1972)
6.) The Crazies (1973)
7.) Firestarter (2022) :drac: 12. All Hail the King
8.) Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) :spooky: Watch any film from the Friday the 13th franchise (in place of :ghost: 7. Short Cuts)
9.) Saturday the 14th (1981) :kiddo: 3. Rated PG
10.) House (1977)
11.) Men (2022) :witch: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched
12.) The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970) :murder: 6. The King in Yellow
13.) Dead Heat (1988) :10bux: 10. The Price is Right
14.) Night of the Creeps (1986) :ssh: 9. Hidden Gems
15.) The Lost Boys (1987) :gaysper: 2. Scream, Queen!
16.) Tales From the Hood (1995) :spooky: 11. Horror Noire
17.) Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)
18.) Birth of the Living Dead (2013) :eng101: 5. Behind the Screams
19.) White Zombie (1932) :corsair: 13. Sins of the Past
20.) Troll Hunter (2010) :sweden: 8. A Perfect Getaway
21.) Green Room (2015) :banjo: 4. Music of the Night
22.) Dawn of the Dead (1978) (rewatch)
23.) Office Killer (1997)
24.) Parents (1989)

I had fun! I had hoped to finish with Near Dark before it left Shudder, but well...:effort:

I’ll probably see you all in October my Spook-a-Doodles! :spooky:

*I did the Friday the 13th challenge in place of the Short Cuts.