Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’m in until the end, let’s just see how many I can get in this month.

The List

https://boxd.it/gp7Mc

Will also be revisiting old favorites as well since its my birthday month and it's not a birthday month without a revisit to The Thing or Dawn of the Dead or From Beyond.

Though I need to think of a franchise to run through this month.

I've completed:

Friday the 13th
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Child's Play
Leprechaun

Attempted but not completed:

Hellraiser
Tremors
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Saw

Thinking about :

Resident Evil
Underworld

dorium fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Sixth Sense is still a classic. Even knowing and attempting to forget the twist its still such a lovely, scary and tremendously successful film that you remember there was a point where M. Night was given the space to kinda breathe and just make a movie before he got too puffed up by the press and fans and gassed himself up too hard. You know that feeling you get when you're watching a movie that has really been thought about and considered so there's this air of stability throughout and you just move along with a movie and dont necessarily need to poke around the edges at what they're getting at, you're just engrossed with what the mood and setting the movie is building for you to live in. All of that is still very much intact in this movie, divorced from the decades of meme's and press it all works exceptionally well. Just a very good way to start off this horror trek. It's been awhile, but its still a bona-fide classic with terrific performances from every actor. Haley Joel Osment is just outstanding, Bruce delivers a muted, quiet and very solemn performance that still works despite what you'd normally expect from a guy like WIllis at that time and Toni Collette is just building the foundation of a career here in America where she will be the high point in almost every project she joins from then on.

out of 5

Even at what I thought was going to be a brisk runtime (of 103 minutes) this movie was a complete slog to get through. Just like trudging through mud, especially the third act. There's a couple high points of Gabriel Byrne playing what is ostensibly a Pete Venkmen of the Vactican or the cool subway whipping scene, but the movie just drags so hard and the editing is so egregiously late 90's and maddeningly confusing at times. There is probably a decent movie in here somewhere, you got freakin' Patricia Arquette throwing every shade of manic at the screen, but it just doesnt work. I dont know if its an overall tone, the technical aspects of it or that I just lost interest for long stretches (again at a 103 min runtime), but I kinda expected more from this rewatch (which to be fair I havent seen since the early 2000's and probably thought it was a lot cooler back then as a teenager).

out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I dont know that Bubba Ho-Tep holds up as well as I remember it being when I first saw it back when it came out. Campbell is still charming as heck, but there's a certain pace to this movie that feels both limited on a script level and editing wise very meandering. Its still kinda fun and a great premise, but it needs a stronger script and maybe better editing just for pacing.

out of 5

It's a classic! What else is there to say that I havent said for the last couple years. I can put this one on like its a warm bath and just let myself fall into it. That ending still hits like a gut punch and you still find yourself shouting at certain characters and cheering on others. Probably still the ultimate zombie movie that very few are able to get that manic and trapped feeling just right the way George and co. did.

out of 5

This was kinda neat. that third act really kinda fumbles around a bit, but that's a purely budget thing I thought just watching it. Jack Palance and Martin Landau carry this movie on their backs across the finish line. Maybe if there was more structure around what the Alien wanted, more paranoia and hide more in the shadows. The movie sorta worked here and there, but it was definitely a low budget creature feature more than anything else.

out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Valentine I barely remembered. You'd think a teenager would have more fondness for a bikini clad Denise Richards, but this one really just escaped my memory. Movie kinda worked, I enjoyed the killer bits, but there should've been at least ONE character you're rooting for to get out of this situation or overcome it all. Definitely not it. The frights are very plainly shot and not super interesting. It really doesnt get creative past the opening sequence after the dance scene. Interesting premise, kinda ok overall.

8 [RATED PG CHALLENGE]

This movie was a complete bummer. Just a waste of a premise that could've been quite good and funny, but it just really drags and is deeply unfunny despite being a comedy at 85 minutes! We got a number of notable character actors showing up, the best being Phillip Seymour Hoffman (credited as Phillip Hoffman) playing as politely as I could put it, a dullard? im not sure, he kinda plays him as a caveman just a bit feral and mean. Either way that was the bright part along with a surprise Cloris Leachman, Matthew Fox, Bob Dooley and Edward Herrmann. But yeah just a waste of potential, if this were an R rated thing maybe a bit more crass this could've been a lot of fun. Otherwise this is just watered down product.

out of 5

Now THIS is a picture! Ticks was just a lot of fun. I've only ever seen the tv edit so watching the original cut was a lot of fun. Gotta tip my hat to Alfonso Ribero, dude knew what kinda movie this was, but he still went all out when the dramatic moments called for it. Everyone else was perfectly good and it was way more about the ticks and the effects and boy is there a lot of fun gooey bits in this one. I def regret not picking up the physical edition of this one on UHD so I will be amending that when I can. Easily my favorite so far.

out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

My Boyfriend's Back is directed by Bob Balaban.

I saw it when I was five years old, on TV, at my Great Uncle's house. It was the scene where the boyfriend zombie is eating from Phillip Seymour Hoffman's corpse's stomach? Scared the poo poo out of me.

yep, I remember watching it as a kid too. first on VHS, my mom was mortified because there's a scene where the main character is attempting to have a sex dream about his crush and the entire school is cheering him on. super vanilla and plain compared to the sex comedy we've gotten in the last 25 years in the PG-13/R range. The gore is also just like blood smears, effective for a kid, but as an adult you kinda want a bit more.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This one I was a bit iffy on, but when it really started to come together, boy did it come together. Ti West has a knack for being able to build the atmosphere of the decades his movies take place in. This one just feels like a sweaty and hot Texas summer and all the characters have this layer of sleaze to them that makes it feel authentic. Definitely feels like a slow burn then it just takes a turn and goes into overdrive straight into the ending. Cool little movie.

out of 5

M Night, thanks for The Sixth Sense and Signs, but your new output is ok... Old was intriguing at first and then it slowly feels like we're not really going anywhere and then it seems its just like "oh lets toss these random character actions into this, but also we need people to start dropping off real quick because our movie is almost over so lets just start knocking them off too". I had a fine time with it, interesting concept and ending.

out of 5

I definitely didnt know that this is what this movie was going to be going into it. It took me by surprise because it has all these setups of tension and this aura of claustrophobia surrounding it and gripping you, but there isnt something monster in the classic horror monster sense. this is just a real horrifying and tragic story of a girl dealing with inherent patriarchal standards of living and that the system isnt built for you to be given justice for your assault. it's a very sobering look at what a rape victim can go through, whether someone is intentionally stalking and harassing to the act or acting out unprovoked. it's an interesting story and I can see how it would've been ground-breaking for its time. the conversation is the same, but the language has progressed despite society and the system failing so many times these women who go through this.

out of 5

A bonafide classic! Billy Zane is EATING every scene he is in, the cast is absolutely stacked and its just a blast of a movie that speeds off at a rockets pace from the first frame straight to the end. Just one of those monster features that you can catch at midnite on USA no matter where its at and just watch it and have a good time. This was the first time I got to see it in theaters too so that was an extra special treat. Just some incredible high highs, I wish the Tales From the Crypt IP would've gotten more movies.

out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Pretty good. Slow in the beginning and I was kinda drifting off but when it really started to get cooking it got cooking. The blowing up scene was quite fun and saved the whole movie for me, but otherwise not my most favorite of the Troma stuff, but it was decent and had a weird as hell ending. Forreal didnt see THAT be the ending to come, kinda expected something else.

out of 5

15 [Behind the Screams]

This was uh... a let down. Just unfocused, the interviews for the most part were super not interesting and then it takes a weird turn and it becomes about these two other separate issues and I just stopped caring for the most part after awhile. It came across more like a travel doc than something about Cannibal Holocaust. The best parts were the interviews with some of the native folks who were on set talking about what it was like and to the best they can remember the days of shooting. That's approximately 10 minutes worth of footage spread across the movie, so you're not really getting a whole lot from that. Not something I'd recommend even to the biggest fans of CH.

out of 5

I was split on this one. There is a good manic feel overall to the movie, but I kinda wanted it to pick a lane at some point. It wasnt written well enough to carry this "is it real or is it all in his head" vibe it wanted. You can tell it was being held back by either a screenplay that wasnt fully baked or something, but the movie just didnt feel complete and I didnt really like the ending even though it was ultimately satisfying on one level I just kept having this nagging feeling it could've been so much more.

out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

oooh yeah im seeing that on Saturday, glad to hear it aligns with one of the challenges.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This one ended up being pretty good. Has an interesting setup and premise with the crazed experimental doctor being put down by another doctor and then an amnesiac woman slowly uncovering these secrets decades later. Lots of fun goopy kills and zombie stuff going on that I really appreciated and the doctor figure has some funny moments. Just a real out there and like "we got the budget so lets go for it" premise. Really dug this one a lot and I mean, while completely impractical they had the lead character running around in cotton panties and a mid-riff white tee sans the bra. you can tell they had to throw this in because its the 80's and that's what you do, but also how do we fit in half naked people into this when we're supposed to be locked up in a mental asylum for the entire movie and we have one young woman in the entire picture that isnt a nurse. so lets just have the main character run around half naked for about an hour.

a pretty by-the numbers slasher when its all said and done. Enjoyable in its own way and has a neat twist on it with the psionic twins thing, but maybe just a bit too flat and not as interesting as say a Slumber Party Massacre or The Prowler. its very middle of the road, but enjoyable. Also has one of the funniest clothes try-on sequences I've seen in a bit. Just unabashedly naked ladies trying on a housemates wardrobe while they arent there.

Surprisingly tame for what kind of response the title and trailer elicit. I was really expecting this greasy exploitation movie, probably dropping some hard F-bombs as you would in the 90's, titilation for titilation's sakes and some crappy, but hard violence. What you kinda end up with is a milquetoast piece of media not really saying anything particularly interesting about the aids epidemic or the stigmatization of those with aids in society and in medicine. It's really just very bland despite its title and trailer. very surprising. It's shot fairly well though, the acting is dog poo poo, but I was reasonably entertained by the main actor.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This one took me by surprise, didnt expect it to be so fully developed and have a clear and concise concept and finish the way that it did. Basically a Vampire takes in a human trying to kick his alcohol habit that is destroying his life so she decides over the course of the movie that she wants to kick her blood habit. It's got the familiar tropes of an addiction story, but told in support with this Vampire story on the side juggling her nature vs the person she'd like to be again. It really won me over and its a quick movie too. At 80 minutes max it gets in and tells the story it wants and gets out with plenty of vampire action and ponderous moments in life.

out of 5

An afternoon classic in my house. Part goofy and scary and kinda weird, but it all sorta works in its own way. Like its really hard to beat Fred Gwynne's delivery of every single line in this movie or Gage being just so adorable you kinda wouldnt mind a baby managing to sneak up on you and slicing your throat. Just a strange adaptation and a lot of fun in its own way. Also like a Ramones ending song over the credits? That's really tough to beat, even if another Stephen King adaptation did have an entire AC/DC soundtrack.

out of 5

This one took me by surprise. I wasnt expecting this much GOOP! like just gallons of it and it was glorious. The story is just the vehicle in which the goop is delivered and it works well, but man when the monster(s) really start freaking and the body count starts rising its just goop city. I had a lot of fun with this one and it's definitely one I'm going to be buying in the near future to add to my personal library. Just a ton of fun front to back. Really enjoyed this one quite a bit.
out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Still a classic that I just dont get sick of. I stuck with the theatrical cut this time and there's just a jovial bounce to this movie despite its suppressive overtones of calamity and the end of the world like George wanted it really does feel like a comic book. Something you'd get in an old EC comics but condensed down into 24 pages. Like I dont know how to explain to my partner why a pie fight with zombies works in the last quarter of this movie, but it just does!

out of 5

Sure its not as horrific as like some people are really making it out to be, but its gotta be the most brutal of the MCU films to date. Like there's some Boys level supe kills in this movie that left some people in the theater actively responding to in a visceral way. I was howling however, Raimi is back in the saddle of a more horror centered story in one of the biggest franchises in the world (though a Sam Raimi Pokemon story where you're following a trainer into a haunted house looking for their own Ghastly could be a lot of fun) and you can tell he was actively telling Marvel management "I got this fellas, give me a couple 2x4's and I'm gunna make some magic happen" and like you could tell the cast was having fun to in a way that I dont think the other films in the franchise save for the Guardians, Thor Ragnarok and those Ant-Man pictures were really having F-U-N. Cumberbatch is getting thrown around like a rag doll and getting to do some real wacky stuff here. Maybe not like Evil Dead 2 level physical gags, but there's a lot to enjoy here and tons and tons of the Raimi camera goodness. Just so many smash zooms into the actors face to shake a stick at.

out of 5

Yeesh what a boring movie. Just one of the roughest sit downs I've had in a minute. I still gave it two stars because the puppets are entertaining and one star because the actors had to figure out a way to make these things even remotely threatening and they sorta just did their best with the worst they had to work with. I will probably end up watching a couple more of these just to see where they go. I did like the opening sequence and the stuff with Barbara Crampton, but you dont give me Barbara Crampton and then make me continually ask myself "Where is Barabara?" every two minutes hoping she'd return. just a dry and boring movie straight through.

out of 5

26 THE KING IN YELLOW

This one was an absolutely wonderful time. Just a tight and focused movie that I kinda would've lived in it for at least ten more minutes if they wanted to add some extra dumb dumb characters to get killed off earlier in the movie. It's also a little mean, but like in a good way. Just exceptionally well done work and a lot of fun. I enjoyed the cast, the kills and the moody look and feel of everything. Just all so well done top to bottom. Great little picture.

out of 5

Then we get to George's later output. This one just feels so forced and like "I gotta be sayin' something with this one because that's what everyone expects!" except he didnt have as much time as he did with Land to at least cogently put some ideas together and express them with better actors, a tighter script and bigger budget. Even if he was able to produce three exceptional zombie pictures on what was then a shoe string budget this is decidedly not that. All the actors are as flat and stiff as a board and it was actively painful to get through most of the run time. Just begging for this to end didnt make it end. I had to just persevere and get through it. A couple good zombie kills of the non-cg variety were pretty rad and like the warehouse portion is the best part of the movie, but otherwise just a big fat MEH.

out of 5

No matter how times I've seen it its still singularly a perfect film (with or without bringing up the original short or tv show, though both are also perfect in their own way). Just a great slice of life tale of vampires living together and exceptionally funny and witty. The ideas around just vampire neatness when draining a victim or their persistent rivalry with the werewolves of New Zealand and discovering 20th century technology is just as funny as the first time. Easily one of if not maybe the best horror comedies ever? I'd probably put it up there, easily top 3.

out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The birthplace of our login video.

Otherwise its a completely fine movie. The story is kinda whatever and it sorta works from a ghost story angle, but the kills really save all this from being exceptionally boring. I wouldnt recommend it outright, but its got some merit and has good bones, but damned if no one this movie can really act. It's like they were all just plucked from the town this was shot in.

out of 5

gently caress this one just sucked. the poster is the best thing about it. there was maybe two scenes that made me chuckle which were when the first woman was appointed as Prime Minister and the other being the introduction of the Otaku moe obsessive. Otherwise just stay away unless like rape is like what you're in for which there's like 50 minutes of simulated rape both done by these zombies and done in flashbacks by just regular ol' men.

out of 5

I actually really liked this one. It's a nice whodunnit with some very cringey 90's-isms, but I think there was a point to it considering it was directed by a woman and partially written by a woman. Just a really fun crime/horror movie with all that schmaltz you could expect from something in the 90's and then some!

out of 5

Not bad actually. Was really expecting the dregs of like cheap canadian budget monster horror, but ended up with a surprisingly solid creature feature. Maybe could've trimmed it a bit here and there or at least done a re-touch on the script, but it was pretty fun and its always a good time getting to see Bruce Campbell, Michael Jai White and Devon Sawa have a bit of fun and get goopy.

out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This was a pretty enjoyable Sci-Fi/Horror/Thriller sorta dealy. It's quite a cast, but I think the best part is just that its like two different siege movies playing out at once. With the people outside trying to concoct ways in to the labs to find their kin, but then you got people inside trying to hide and barricade from those that are infected with the "rage virus" and then some bureaucrats just loving everything up along the way. Not enough Yaphet Kotto for my tastes, but the movie worked regardless and was a good time.

out of 5

This one was pretty good. Cant say too much about why it was fun, but it has a good hook and it knows when it should start winding down instead of trying to keep showing you too much and keeping things hidden in just the right amount of ways. Very depressing underpinnings though, like drat that poo poo is just bleak. Good one.

out of 5

Sort of a case of "The Poster is the best part of this movie", but then its got enough cheese and grime in there that its kinda enjoyable. This would've been a great like mini-series comic or something though so I wouldnt have to sit through the god awful acting and technical work. It's an odd amount of fun to be had in that they always approach this line of deplorable-ness that they never really fully cross over to. Like you'd expect there to be way more titilation, especially for a scuzzy 90's SOV deal, but someone had a brain on set and said "lets not shoot a shower scene in this high school, even though we could and probably wanted to, lets not". I didnt hate it, didnt love it. I'd probably re-watch this one with some friends and some beers and weed. It's a weird one.

out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

just dont get any ideas

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cujo has always been a mixed bag for me. It's an exciting premise, but one you cant really do for 90 minutes straight, but even the dramatic padding they put around this movie isnt very compelling and really drags the movie down. I enjoy Dee Wallace as much as the next horror nerd, but if I were to have my way I would've gotten someone in the 80's known exclusively for her work in the romance/drama field and really do a deeper dive into the relationship and build a solid foundation of where they're at and THEN we throw her into hell. It would have to be so incredibly jarring and cataclysmic that I think you just need a better actress for it. Really devastating poo poo. Here I was just waiting for Cujo, like I imagine anyone would be, but we dont really get there till the 45 minute mark. It's a fine movie, but just dragged down too much.

out of 5

This movie still rocks. Just punk in and out, lots of fun and probably one of the best creeper features of the 80's. that looming sense of dread when everything kinda hits that the world is effectively over and most of humanity is burnt toast. It helps that this movie isnt like huge budget too, its just dirty enough to feel real and grounded. I'm sure if it were any better you'd get like some zombie level hordes, dramatic helicopter escapes and a lot less character and charm.

out of 5

This was surprisingly good. Especially when you learn her motivation, I was definitely on Ma's side for the bit after that section, but then she kinda goes one step too far and then takes a huge rear end leap over all the other steps into some demented stuff. Yeah, that movie was definitely an interesting study and Octavia Spencer plays some great unhinged in this one too.

out of 5

Still a classic. Everyone was talking about it in the other thread so I just felt compelled to watch it. I think it just holds up incredibly well despite the lack of aura of mystery around it 22 years later. It's still very compelling, disorienting and does so much with so little. Its a case study in what you can do when you got zero budget and you're just figuring out things by sheer will and imagination.

out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It was my birthday yesterday so I decided to just watch some old favorites.

Where do you even really start with this movie. It's formidable in its presentation, its slow descent into madness and not holding itself back in any regard. It reminds you why David Cronenberg is a master of his craft, even that young with ideas still percolating and growing and mutating. It's such a delightful movie to behold and it continues to be eternal in its prescience in where we are now as a culture and what we've become without considering what technological leaps could/would do the human mind and body. it was screaming as a warning of a future to come and we just didnt get it or didnt want to see it.

out of 5

There's a wry sense of humor in this one that just permeating everything. Even at its most bleak and nihilist feeling there's this underlying humor carrying the entire script and screenplay. It's also really hard to top the final gore fest. Like there's a lot more gorier movies out there, decades removed from this, but goddamn theres a certain level of glee and fun they had with the gags and detail in such a sight to behold. They really pulled out all the stops for it and swung for the fences.

out of 5

Like Re-Animator is just a classic in every sense of the word. Just delightfully creepy, gross, macabre and so exceptionally well done on a production level it just feels like a stand out of the genre in every way. Yeah not much else to say. It's always a treat watching this one.

out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Now THIS ONE was a complete surprise. Just the right amount of everything from this psycho-sexual nature, depravity in the violence and gore and this manic feel of being dizzyingly out of control of your body and person. Easily one of my favorite vampire movies now, just a total off the wall story and very very well attuned to the creative slumps, addicition, depression and madness. Might fall apart for some people in the end, I think there's a more satisfying ending if they really wanted it, but this one works if not just incredibly abrupt.

out of 5

What a weird one. Just on the face of it (knowing its a direct to video production) it felt super cheap, but also strangely high end (When you get to the kills). Like everyone but Walken is doing a respectable job with the material (its no LA Aids Jabber in the worst of the worst acting), but its all still kinda stilted and you're either waiting for more Walken or (god bless em) Richard Kind. Those gore effects though are king. the whole workout machine death was wicked. Solid if not forgettable flick.

out of 5

It's a bummer the creator and primary writer of this one is who it is, but dammit if it isnt a solid as hell slasher and like just well done on the kills and the setups. Very enjoyable first viewing and I'd probably return to this one in the future if I were to do a 80's slasher run again.

out of 5

It's TCM2! what else is there to say but that its a Cannon classic with some of the best gore you'll see in awhile. Just like holy crap so good still and I put this on while I was having coffee and breakfast in the morning and it felt like a Saturday morning cartoon. The madcap/comic energy of it all is very infectious and just a tremendous amount of fun. I could watch a bunch more times in a single sitting and just be super satisfied each time.

out of 5

NOW this is a weird loving movie. I didnt expect like the introspective take on depression, grief and being haunted by your past in such a manner. Like that poster/box art is a classic but totally sells me on one kind of movie and then we end up with a fairly like dramatic take on all these topics, but then hey here's a giant puppet monster(s) and the embodiment of your fears in like an EC Comics sorta way. Interesting small little movie that shouldnt have worked as well as it did, but it does.

out of 5

I am officially a David Decoteau fan. After Nightmare Sisters and this one I'm going to plunge through the rest of his work, maybe even some of his more modern/gayer stuff now that he's an out and out gay man doing a ton of DTV stuff. What a weird and wondeful little movie. It's got all of that 80's tits and gore you could ever want, a terrible little imp controlling all the scenarios, a kinda tastefully done "girl possessed by a sex demon spirit and boy recognizes it would be taking advantage of her if he did anything with her while possessed" situation and its a brisk sub 90 minute picture. Just in and out with tons of gags and plenty of Linnea Quigley that I am going to just canonize in my head as what Trash was up to before she met up with her friends the next night. Good flick.

out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

We’re All Going to The Worlds Fair was directed by a Non-Binary director. That could work too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

s

I kinda dug Creepozoids. Another Decoteau banger with that right amount of sloppiness, ripping off judiciously some sci-fi/horror alien classics and Linnea Quigley getting topless which at this point is kinda hard to get mad at. The acting is crap, but like that's not what im here for with a Decoteau picture. He still manages to hold everything together for its entire runtime and the plot moves along well enough even if none of it really makes sense, tho the acid rain in LA feels much more realistic than most of the movies ive watched this month.

out of 5

50 MUSIC OF THE NIGHT

This one sorta ruled. The gore was top notch, the story hummed along well enough though kinda fell apart by the end, but that whole first and second act are a lot of fun and like I said the gore is just so over the top and big and loud it super works well with the story and helps kinda cover up the acting. Though Grohl is definitely doing his best Jack Black impersonation which is appreciated. If you're going to go big at least go as big as Jack. RIP to Taylor, he had some fun bit parts in the movie. Real shame.

out of 5

51 ALL HAIL THE KING

I kinda enjoyed this one. The kid actor is probably the best part about it and she really does her best with the material she is given. The adults minus Rainbird all kind of float around for a bit and say lines for a paycheck. Rainbird at least holds some parts of this story together and he plays a good creeper/zealot/seer. I thought it was leaps and bounds better than the original adaptation of this story and had some very cool practical effect shots and some good practical gore effects. the crispy critters that get crisped up looked especially good.

out of 5

Now this was a shocker how good it was. Really didnt expect this sort of take on a slasher, but it was delightfully silly and super recommended. I didnt even mind the minimal gore after the intro. It's just a really solid take on a genre that at the time was still sorta finding its place and budding, but done with the introspection of someone who you could've placed was doing this from the 21st century. Super solid movie, lots of weird fun.

out of 5

This was the kind of down and dirty nu-exploitation flick I was hoping it would be. It took me a minute to warm up to this new Kevin James persona, but I gotta say he really sold it especially in the middle/last act. I wouldnt be upset if he decided to stretch his legs even more and take a breather from the Happy Madison machine. Otherwise this was just a lot of gruesome fun and full of some very solid gore and kills. wrapping it all up in this story about a kid seeking revenge against a gang of neo-nazi's its got a family favorite written all over it! Just like Home Alone.

out of 5

54 SCREAM, QUEEN!

This was an odd pickle. Co-dependent relationships over the internet is often an interesting subject broached mostly with a very wide brush and never as something as specific as this. Where that line blurs between play and real life does get very blurry both in the movie and as it does in real life. Where does the line between just internet buddies and being a genuinely concerned person for someone elses safety (or maybe something even more nefarious) begin and end. It's an interesting window to gaze through now especially under the guise of an online horror game where play is always on and your ability to go through the window of pretend and real life also starts blurring quite frequently if you really start to buy into the bit. This was a good slow burn movie with lots of "shoe gaze" aura. Interesting interesting and often when you start thinking about it too much frightening stuff.

out of 5

This one was a bit of a struggle to get through. Not my favorite of the siege movies I've watched this month so far. It's got a couple good ideas and a great building to shoot in, but the characters are so lackluster and the build up is kinda whatever that my interest would come and go. The candy colored Dawn of the Dead blood was awesome though and that definitely helped make some of the movie a lot more fun, but otherwise it was just ok. Lots of ideas kinda wasted in the runtime.

out of 5

I didnt hate it, but I didnt like it either. It was a gas watching wrestlers perform their moves on zombies and stuff. Rowdy Roddy Piper saves this movie big time with just his presence and energy. If this movie didnt have him it would just fall apart real quick. Otherwise maybe this one would've hit harder with some brews and some extra people around to make fun of it. The zombie deaths are pretty good. Good gore and stuff, but a big slog to get through.

out of 5

OK, THIS ONE is my favorite of the vampire movies I've watched this month. Somehow I've managed to view 3 intensely women focused vampire movies and they're all fantastic. This one though has that extra layer of slime and gross NY 90's feel that Abel Ferrara can capture in such a lurid and sticky way. This one is just jam packed with some amazing performances and the black and white does such a heavy amount of lifting of keeping this aura of mystery and menace spilling out from the screen. Big time enjoyed this one, absolutely one I'm adding to my physical collection in the future.

out of 5

I got to watch this last night at the theater on an original 35mm print of it. Looked great looking all dirty and spec'd in dust. Real classic feeling and that's exactly what this movie is. Just a barn burner of a classic and the entire audience was super into it from minute 1. Just a real kicker of a movie and tons of fun. Audible gasps from the audience during eky gross out moments and when the blob was attacking. That kitchen sink gag is still one of my favorites.

out of 5

Completed Challenges:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boogens was kinda alright, I didnt super dislike everything happening and its got some good beats of tension and hides the budget well with the creature. I think the human element really drags this movie down quite a bit. I wish there was more of a forward propulsion between the release of this monster, the town and the crazy trying to warn everyone. It's like they had all these elements for a good creature feature, but they just werent sure how to fit everything together. easy in hindsight to say where this one could've gone for sure, but there's definitely like "we've all seen Jaws by the time of this films production, we could've figured out something a bit more compelling here". Pretty good otherwise. On the run was cool and probably had the best ending of them all from a shocker moment and that last story about the confederate soldiers was demented in a good way if not maybe too brief or like not fleshed out in a way I would have wanted. It was an ok anthology picture, but just not as strong as the best in the genre.

Out of 5

60 THE PRICE IS RIGHT

I had high hopes going into this one. Solid intro and good threading between each story, but there was something missing from most of these stories. Like the comeuppance wasnt enough I guess or the "twist" of where the story was really going for each didnt hit has hard. I definitely liked the Carnival story the most. That whole ending was quite the spectacle and the death scene was awesome. the first story was alright, I kinda lost the plot along the way and it really lost my interest as it went.

Out of 5

Definitely the roughest one to get through out of this post. Kind of a waste of Jenny Agutters talent, the story is just a bit shoddy and could've been leaned out a bit. comparably to something like The Lift or Demons 2 for movies that take place in a high rise building its the weakest of the bunch. Some solid "people going crazy/getting hosed with by a ghost" moments, but yeah I was just counting the minutes at one point waiting for it to end.

Out of 5

Now this was a true blue exploitation feature. Using rape as your primary function for violence is never the best feeling going into the movie, but it was surprisingly tame on that front because while I dont think it was going to be as bad as Rape Zombie: Lust of the Dead was I was expecting exploitation levels of like lingering and sexualizing the moment as its happening. They spend far much more time titilating up to the attacks with a very protracted naked yoga session or chatting on the phone with your tits out. very cheese ball level stuff, but the attacks were brief and usually cut to black as the alien approaches. There is a fantastic body horror bit in this one that I had to stare at for a minute because the makeup effects look great for the budget this was at and it definitely felt like they blew a ton of money on some very specific moments and then we get to the third act and they threw a bunch of plastic around a kiddie pool full of fake semen and had naked women writhe around in it while the heroes figure out how to run some wire from point A to point B to defeat the big bad. It's a 90 minute exploitation creature feature that isnt bad, isnt good, but maybe you might want to check it out at some point.

Out of 5

Partly felt a bit like a made for tv movie, but then the gore kicks in and its kinda solid. I couldnt really get the full feeling of what they were going for. Sometimes its a little more comedy, sometimes it feels like a kids movie and then sometimes it actually gets into some solid horror tropes. It's tone was just all over the place and the villain seems like he was trying to channel as much Jim Carey as much as he could as his plan starts to unravel. It's got some neat moments and works well overall. a happy little find on Shudder.

Out of 5

64 HORROR NOIRE

Now this was a nice little surprise. A very contained and compelling movie about a succubus versus basically a man of the cloth. I was surprised to find out this was a Troma production as well, didnt expect it because while it does have plenty of gore, its very contained and reserved in its use. The comedy was good ("A 5 dollar drink from a 2 dollar bitch" got a giant laugh out of me), the scares were solid and I never felt like we werent moving forward in the story. Everyone had their part to play and played it well. Good little flick.

Out of 5

I unabashedly love Maximum Overdrive. I dunno, there's just something about it both that is completely absurd but also it all works despite it being a production helmed by someone with zero directorial efforts under their belt and off rails and rails of cocaine. I think it really helps that everyone in the production is taking it totally seriously like "this is happening" and not taking it tongue and cheek and going overboard in their roles (well some of the actors). There's no consistency and ruleset for the "machines" that work on their own versus like some sprinklers that definitely dont have anything machinery related for the "green fog" to take hold of. It's just the kitchen sink method of "we have an idea, lets just do stuff that looks cool and we'll worry about the rest later" and it all looks cool. Easily one of the best 80's movies too with a child death. Right up there with Pet Semetary, The Blob, Season of the Witch and Toxic Avenger. Just a good time always.

Out of 5

Challenges Completed:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh nice, appreciate the review, I've had this on my list for awhile but the concept worried me. Mostly want to watch it for Frances Raines who I really liked in Disconnected and The Mutilator aka Fall Break

She maybe has the biggest role (comparatively) between all the victims in the story. She is also the one doing the naked yoga session as well, so if that helps or hinders your interest go forth.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This was like a good movie, but maybe just far too long for its own good. There's some wonderful imagery and some great build up of mania and frenzy, but then I was also kinda just waiting for it to move along. Like the visuals and the acting did all the heavy lifting of getting me into her head so I got it "she's going manic" now lets propel forward with the story. Could've easily shaved at least 20-30 minutes from this and I wouldnt have missed it. Like I said there was some great imagery in this one and some terrific acting and performances all around. Even Matt Smith managed to eek out something with this one even though he's been whiffing in a lot of projects I've seen him in recently (HELLO MORBIUS). Good flick, but needed some editing.

Out of 5

These two stars are only for the kills which are fantastic, but jesus this one was just kinda hard to sit through otherwise. I dug the killers outfit as well and I was on his side to be honest for getting back at these classmates for sexually humiliating him and then turning him into a crispy critter. I get it bud, but I dont think you needed to kill the janitor though. Either way just a real slog of a slasher to get through, but its got some very funny kills. Maybe good with some edibles and a beer?

Out of 5

This was my favorite of the two slashers I watched. Lean and mean and full of dumb college student ripe for the slashing. The teddy bear costume was also hysterical with the knives coming out of the paw. Comparatively also much more better acted and paced as well with some actually kind of spooky shots in this thing too. Just a real solid slasher that doesnt overstay its welcome and moves quick after its initial setup.

Out of 5

Complete Challenges:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Appropriately placed at number sixty-nine, Shivers was pretty good. Interesting idea from Cronenberg once again, but maybe not as fully fleshed out as his future ideas would be but you can see the angles and the nooks and crannies he's starting to discover and build from for future projects. The slugs were gross as hell and the one landing on the old ladies umbrella with a heavy THWACK was pretty funny. It's got some good zombie moments and the bleak ending totally fits the overall scope of the picture. I could see a triple midnite feature of Shivers, Teeth and It Follows being a real fun "sex is dangerous" triple feature.

Out of 5

It's a shame I put off watching this one for so long because its pretty drat great. Just a very human piece about a very inhuman time that was prescient to a few things going on with COVID-19 and just the reaction to it from the beginnings of the lockdown and where we were as we sheltered indoors for months and year(s). Performances across the board were great and there is this terrific tension slowly eroding everything around it until the climax. Just a very attuned and well honed picture.

Out of 5

Now this one is a grindhouse classic for the oughts. Just real mean and hosed up in a good way. Nic Cage doin his thing, Selma Blair going full unhinged and I sorta didnt care for the kids, but I think that works for the film because it helps escalate things and you're kinda not rooting for anyone, but its such a glorious trainwreck of things happening and people getting hacked up both on and off camera with such a weird premise. I'm glad they didnt go too deep into the movie science of what is going on. All you gotta know is the olds want to kill the youngs out of self-preservation and that's it. Cool little flick.

Out of 5

This one is still a lot of fun. A nice head flip on the originals screenplay and giving Barabara more agency, but kinda letting the rest of the cast play out their parts similarly as they would in the original. Having very cavalier hero being wrong, the bullish strong-headed type still hurtling towards impending doom and the doofus couple just not getting anything right. I think there's still a lot more they coud've mined from the concept and the character archetypes, but its still a strong enough film that it works well on its own.

Out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I keep trying to stay honest about watching a movie from a country I havent seen one before and cant find one. Every time I think I got it I'll try and just double check and find another I've seen. Need some deep obscure country pumping out movies.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Berzerker posted:

H

STAC Goat posted:

I went to Letterboxd’s world map and just went country by country checking if I’d see anything. I got lucky though and found one in Argentina.

ruddiger posted:

El Dia De La Bestia!

ave you seen any Estonian horror? I used Kratt (2020) for the challenge.

Going to look into all this!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Now this was a surprising one that I enjoyed quite a bit. It's not like the best acted thing (beside Udo Kier eating this entire movie) I've watched this month, but I could tell everyone was having a pretty good time working on this picture. That's kinda one of the key components to a good flick is if you can tell at least there was some like "yeah this is a good time" feeling coming from a production. You can feel misery when its there on set and then sometimes you cant. I dunno but this one works. It's a good spin on the Frankenstein story with all of this cheese and sex permeating the essence of the movie. Frankenstein is an inherently sexual story, giving life like that and dealing with the body like that all comes from a baseline of creation and giving birth and there's really only one way we know how to get there as a species so exploring both subject matters simultaneously like that brings up a lot of concepts and ideas that I dont think get fully explored here, they get touched on and alluded to, but never mined. It's a good time, real gross and nasty, but a good time.

Out of 5

I REALLLLY didnt like this one. First and foremost it was like 3 different movies spliced into one which it most likely was just considering its budget. First you have the generic war movie, then you got one about a rebel group (both shot on different film stock completely) and then you got the nazi part of the movie with the beast and the experiments and the rapings. I've been on quite the tear with the rape-centric films this month, no idea why it just seems to be happening, now this one while graphic isnt horrendously being played for titilation. There's at least some semblance of "this is bad, this is sad and horrible" unlike Lust of the Dead which just played with it like it was a softcore titilation experience. Otherwise this was just poorly constructed, poorly acted and edited. The gore was fine, it was probably one of the first instances of "torture porn" because that's what a lot of the violence kinda consists of. Even the gun fights are shockingly tame. It was all about the experimentation room sequence, everything else fell to the budgetary waste side.

Out of 5

Not my favorite Dan Decoteau picture. The beginning starts well off enough, a crazed Linnea Quigley attacks her boyfriend or sister boyfriend? the language and characters of the story seem so jumbled, perhaps on purpose because then when you get into the meat of the full story and these two kills ex boyfriends show up for a pool party / "we're banging each one of these dudes one by one" situation and then there's like a sorta whodunnit thrown in even though you know who did it because it expressly says "this character is crazy, we just spent the first quarter of the movie going over how crazy they are", but that's where the movie shines. The kills are glorious in this. Just real splatter kills. There is one in particular with a sledgehammer that I was really impressed by and you can tell they had a lot of fun rigging these up. Maybe save for one head explosion that they could've cut like 3 frames at the top to save you from looking straight at the dummy head (and maybe taken like a moment to save the camera position so it cut a bit more seamlessly) all the effects were really good. Like I said, of the Decoteau pictures I've seen this month, not my favorite, but not it wasnt terrible. Just middling to ok.

Out of 5

Well I was disappointed. I didnt look into this movie at all. I saw the poster and was like "ok lets do this, this is Elvira!". Nope, wrong. Not even the woman now that I know sorta who was the inspiration for the poster looks nothing like Elvira. I went into this one like a kid picking out a movie just based on the cover and I was disappointed. The whole weird story about controlling anger by a ball that goes into your throat and a robot basically reprograms you. Ok on board, but then like nothing really interesting comes from that? Then you got a subplot of corporate subterfuge that kinda doesnt go anywhere? then you got like uh, the girl with clear dad issues being raised by a computer and having to have her feelings computed so she can recognize normal human love. I dont know. this was a weird one, not particularly enjoyable, again there's another rape/sexual assault scene that thankfully doesnt go horrendously too far, but still played as a cheesecake sorta thing. There's also a ton of boobs in this one. If you're looking for tits the horror movie, this is one of them. Just meh. The movie in my head where Elvira is fighting spooky monsters spewing from her computer over a long weekend is a way better movie.

Out of 5

Now this one was a lot of fun! You can tell the cast and crew was having a good time with their budget and just trying their best to make a zombie mall movie and it all sorta works real well. I enjoyed the infected soda drink angle turning people into zombies and all the japanese mall gags. that would really suck to get stuck in a zombie movie in a japanese mall. its not like american malls where there's like huge swathes of space for everyone to run and hide. You're in these cramped corridors, with small shops and if it were any busier more people. definitely a no win situation. This was a lot of fun though and a real fun throw back in terms of fashion and the culture back then. good stuff!

Out of 5

This was one I definitely didnt expect to enjoy as much as I did. It is absolutely 100% a cheesecake horror movie. Doing everything in their will power to get women naked from head to toe, zombie and human, doesnt matter. There's a whole subplot about blackmailing with porn movies and escorts and stuff. It's a trip, but it sorta works and the waste management that causes the dead to rise was funny and I really dug the masks/makeup on the zombie girls. Like I said its super all about getting as much tits into a screen as possible, but going in with that caveat I found it pretty solid, maybe and again this is a weird by-product of my movie choices this month, the rape scene towards the end with the zombies and a woman was a bit much and then that ending. WOOF. that ending is just pure grime exploitation out of nowhere kick to the face. Still enjoyed it, but go into it with those caveats. def not for everyone, but there's a solid foundation under it.

Out of 5

Poltergeist still rocks. Got to see a nice looking 35mm print of it last night and it sure was a hell of a time. All the big beats still hit extremely well and the crowd reaction during the big scares hits like a mac truck. I was surprised just given the age we'd get more laughter from the effects being dated and all that, but everyone was still fully on board and just rocking with the movie. Just a super solid movie and a ton of fun.

Out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gey muckle mowser posted:

What movie is this? I don’t recognize the poster

the title was all tucked in the smallest font right under the kanji(?) in yellow. like Ruddiger said tho Bio-Zombie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Spasms wasnt great in much regard it probably wasnt even good, but it had some very entertaining parts, but then it also had parts where I kept wishing it would just push along quicker. Peter Fonda tries here really hard to get things cooking, but he's missing some of that usual swagger he had in this era of his career that was sorely missed. The monster snake is super shoddy, but they do an admirable job of hiding it. The kills are pretty entertaining and the snakes big gimmick of causing near instant swelling into some gooey cronenberg-esque monsters is well done, but none of this salvages a movie I could've cut down to an hour and ten. It really just needed a kick in the pants. Oh and it just sort of ends. Very odd.

Out of 5

This one was quite good. Good performances from the lead villains and there is a great tension built into it that you can tell a lot of movies to come in the future would borrow plenty of its spirit to bring to their movies (Funny Games, The Strangers, When a Stranger Calls Back, Pacific Heights). It gets a bit goofy here and there and the main leads are not great, good, but could've used a bit more guidance. Solid thriller horror picture with some good gore moments.

Out of 5

The Craft largely holds up fairly well. The first two acts are like really good and have this sustained narrative tension building and bubbling through all the characters. It's still PG13 so not everyone gets like their big comeuppance, but its got an interesting set of bones to it that carries it along fairly well. The third act is still pretty sloppy though, but that really gets chalked up to I think it being just 90's CG coupled with being unable to envision a broader way of handling witch craft as a tool for combat. It didnt go far enough but also didnt stay reserved enough. It just kinda did the bare minimum of "ooooh creepy right?" and it lets down the first 2/3 of the movie. The cast is great, the soundtrack is great and all the vibes of the movie work very well. its just that last act that the seams really start to be seen.

Out of 5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Watching The Runner on Shudder. Should I count that as a short?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Count Thrashula posted:

Was it a movie that's under an hour?

Ah ok I must’ve missed the under an hour bit. It’s 38 minutes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Vamp was pretty good. Acting left some to be desired, but it was a lot of fun and this very forward thinking zombie movie with its strip club full of vamps and luring in customers that'll just kind of go unnoticed. Loved the lighting and set design as well, totally worked with the comic book mood of the movie and the ending was pitch perfect. A real low budget dirty vampire movie that is surprisingly full of heart and spirit. A good time.

Out of 5

There's like a handful of moments in Ghost Ship that got it its two stars, but otherwise what a very dull and boring movie. The ending freakout portion was pretty good and this bit in the shower where it fills with blood was cool, but otherwise just a monumentally forgettable nazi ghost story. I expected a bit more maximum overdrive stuff when I finally got what was going on in this movie. It could've been a lot of fun, but I dunno maybe it was the budget or just having to shoot on a rickety ship like this just wasnt conducive to a productive environment. Not sure, but it def left a lot to be desired. A handful of enjoyable things, but a mostly boring movie.

Out of 5

Definitely not the worst documentary I've watched this month, but it kinda just treads over a lot of the facts of Found Footage movies that if you know what's up, you already know. It's a good overview for beginners though and paints a fairly clear picture that the Found Footage genre is just going to be evergreen as long as the technology is there and progresses as well as there just being this innate human need to voyeuristically deal with the horrors of life through the lens of a camera.

Out of 5

This one is a treat. Good vibes and I loved the special effects as cheesy as they were worked real well in grounding this story. Vincent Price playing this near abusive husband and Carol Omhart playing the manipulative minx so well off each other it felt practically natural. Just two bad people you'd hate to get stuck in a house with overnight. The rest of the cast did exceptional work with the material given and it just zipped on by in its very brief runtime that I would'nt have minded a bit more of a build-up in some sections just to ratchet the tension.

Out of 5

87 SHORT CUTS

Absurd Encounter with Fear - David Lynch [1967] 2 Min
I would say I understood this one, but it would be a lie. It was interesting, and I definitely watched it another two times after, but just solid.

:ghost::ghost::ghost: Out of 5

The Runner - Boy Harsher - 38 Min

Lots of style and only somewhat a glass half full of substance. It's a weird one because I really like the band quite a bit, but the short felt very spotty in terms of pacing and plotting, but I guess that doesnt really matter, this was definitely a mood piece to be used around the music. Still kinda cool and interesting.

Lucid - Cameron Ghallager - 8 Min

I could kind of gleam what was going on with this one well enough and thought the phasing back and forth between the worlds was pretty neat. A good little story.

Close Your Eyes - locustgarden - 3 Min

This one was alright, I kinda lost the plot for a second or two. I wish there was just a bit more build up with the roommate. the reveal is interesting, but felt like something was missing.

:ghost::ghost: Out of 5

Eden - I88 - 5 Min

Another alright one. Pacing felt good and you get some good vibes from it, but again I would've enjoyed a bit more tension. Maybe a bit more spooky lighting to really build the atmosphere or build out at least one or two of the characters we're following a bit.

The Moonlight Man - Danny Donahue - 2 Min

Didnt work as well as I'd hoped. There's some fun building moments of tension but they kinda get deflated pretty quickly. 2 minutes shouldnt feel like 10.

:ghost: Out of 5

Don't Look - CACox97 - 4 Min

I get the micro-budget thing, but at least try to get some acting in here. I get it though, the spooky ghost story worked and the creepypasta effect worked, but I wanted something a bit more.

Slapface didnt end up working out as well as I had hoped. There's a great seed of an idea in here. Something quite interesting, potentially moving and "coming of age", but its mired down in what feels like a very directionless momentum that just creeps across the ending in a very unsatisfying manner. Whether its the relationship of the brothers that needed fleshing out, the intentions of the monster, the kid "growing up" finally or collectively the brothers moving past their grief there is something there to be found I just dont think movie full grasped what it was reaching for. A shame, there's good stuff in here its just very unfocused.

Out of 5

89 WOODLAND DARK AND DAYS BEWITCHED

This was a lot of fun. A bit goofy, but it has a great setup and this great sense of atmosphere and world building. You dont need to know everything about this world and its inner workings. you just need to know that this young philosopher is going to have his mettle tested greatly by a witch and its all kinda great. If someone were to tell me that Evil Dead drew direct inspiration from this I would totally believe you. Just slapsticky and weird and a lot of fun visual effects going on and some solid physical comedy. Intentional or not it really worked very well and was a lot of fun to watch. Instant classic.

Out of 5

90 SINS OF THE PAST

This one is absolutely a product of its time, but it still works because its a classic story. The adventure through Skull Island was a lot of fun and the ending holds up very well, but the natives, welp. That's just kinda how it goes I guess. I barely remember the Peter Jackson version or if their handling of the native tribes in the story was any better, but yeah this one is a weird one to watch now I guess. Though far from the worst of the worst examples I've seen. All the stuff with Kong you naturally feel bad for the big ape. Didnt deserve any of the events that transpired in the story and didnt deserve to be befallen because of "Beauty and the Beast". Typical colonizer/imperialist attitude. Not your fault for taking him out of his natural habitat, but it was clearly the animals fault.

Out of 5

What a weird loving movie. Just absolutely bonkers in its setup and all three of its intertwining story lines. It all comes together so well though, the story of a serial killer, his admirer (who he admires) and the hunter detective thrown to the brink of sanity in the hunt for the killer. Just an incredibly well rounded portrait of these three people on all sides of the spectrum of insanity and obsession. Just a piece of well done fiction that holds up very well to modern viewing and interpretation. Especially in the age of serial killer obsession and a deluge of stories about the well known ones and the most obscure pervading everyone's minds.

Out of 5

Challenges COMPLETED:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Seeing the movie Anguish tonight in theaters on a 35mm print. Never seen it before so I’m hoping for a good one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This is a great one. Totally didnt expect what we got out of this one and the way it played so well. I really dont want to say too much more, but the leads are great and the movie GOES. Just a great one if you've never seen it.

Out of 5

All Challenges Complete:

and I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

A challenge I always wanted to put forth was doing themed triple features. I sit around sometimes and just make up triple features for myself to do and a lot of course are horror themed anyways:

https://letterboxd.com/dorium/list/society-made-me-this-way-midnite-triple-feature/

https://letterboxd.com/dorium/list/adidas-midnite-triple-feature/

https://letterboxd.com/dorium/list/dead-pedal-midnite-triple-feature/

Like you have to do them in a sitting, but doing that would net you an extra entry into the raffle or something. It would be worth sitting through all three in a row.