Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

e8: poor Ange, how on earth is she not getting some kind of therapy

e: jfc cool it with the sexual assault, student goats, what the gently caress

e3: are we seriously getting tohya's backstory now because I absolutely cannot keep track of all the Featherine manifestations at all and I no longer have any idea where this is going. Is episode 8 incredibly freaking long?

e 4 WAIT WHAT WHAT WHAT WAIT

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ahaha.wav

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

lmao

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

:getin:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

but seriously i hope you dont end up sobbing in your bed for like an hour after you do the final parts of 8 / finishing the series like I did

:smith:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i *have* to be getting towards the end. i mean, I've been thinking that for hours and hours worth of scenes at this point but it's REALLY coming to a head now. I love Lambdadelta finally showing down with Bernkastel in an active capacity.

I think I've forgotten too much/am just too dumb to understand the significance of the interlude with Hachijo Ikuko. Isn't Tohya the one who made the Forgeries? I....don't think that could've been Ange for several reasons even though the episode frames it as her losing her sense of self after she hits the ground and before she's pulled back to the Golden Land. I straight up don't remember enough of Episode 4(?), I guess. Can someone explain/give an interpretation, unless the episode spells it out better later?

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

but seriously i hope you dont end up sobbing in your bed for like an hour after you do the final parts of 8 / finishing the series like I did

:smith:

idk how you expect me to trust anything you say about this with that new screenname :P

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

Can someone explain/give an interpretation, unless the episode spells it out better later?

keep reading

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Still E7.

Rudolf getting chewed out was good. Could have used more of that.

It looks like I will not be getting a straight answer whether the family thinks Shannon and Kanon are separate people.

E: A very touching moment between Kinzo and Beatrice. Now wake him up and put him in the juicing machine. :devil:

E2: We have successfully not blown up the island. Will slicing up Clair was disappointing, I wanted another logic battle with full details.

E3: Finished first tea party. That's the good poo poo. Though Will and Lion never grew on me enough that I want to see them live.

E4: Done.

It is neat to see how much of Yasu's weirdness comes back to emulating Kinzo: wait around hoping to get lucky and have the right person solve the riddle, spend the rest of your time staring at the doomsday button.

Since Kinzo actually got the reunion he wanted before he died, I take it that Kinzo's piece wailing all the time was supposed to be representative of the grief that Beato could not let herself communicate during the question arcs. Beatrice leaning so hard on the "can't explain that!" gimmick was supposed to be reminding Battler of their conversation as 12 year olds.

Looking back on the question arcs, I was totally right to dismiss Ronové and Virgilia as having fake backstories.

I would have really liked to see more of Yasu going off on Genji and the rest of them.

So Math fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 13, 2023

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

So Math posted:

Still E7.

I would have really liked to see more of Yasu going off on Genji and the rest of them.

I only remember two of the three(?) big shock reveals at the end of E7 - that Kinzo was the one who suggested betraying the Italians first, and Yasu's physical trauma that makes them consider themselves 'furniture' - what was the last one?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Just finished the main part of Episode 8 which was so freaking long and the Third Day made me sob.

e: I'm a little bit curious about what happens if you choose Trick and fail the test at the end.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 15, 2023

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Rockman Reserve posted:

I only remember two of the three(?) big shock reveals at the end of E7 - that Kinzo was the one who suggested betraying the Italians first, and Yasu's physical trauma that makes them consider themselves 'furniture' - what was the last one?

Ep7 Tea party spoilers - The reveal that Kinzo forced himself on Kuwadorian!Beatrice.

Rockman Reserve posted:

e: I'm a little bit curious about what happens if you choose Trick and fail the test at the end.

If you've made the save prior to the choice point, you can check for yourself!

If you want to know: you get the <Good!> ending, not the Good ending

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ah cool, I know in Higurashi there’s that one minor choice with no bearing on anything that checks a hidden save file or something to see if you already checked the other option, and I was wondering if it would try to pull something like that with all the Monty Hall talk.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

If you've now finished the games, take a deep breath mentally prepare yourself and go read the manga rendition of "confession of the golden witch",

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

If you've now finished the games, take a deep breath mentally prepare yourself and go read the manga rendition of "confession of the golden witch",

I still have the Tea Party, and ????? if there is one for 8, and I'm not gonna make any assumptions about how long they are at this point. But obviously my next step is actually to finally fire up Golden Fantasia, duh.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

yeah that's actually pro move buddy

I thought I was the only person who bought golden fantasia

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

every time i think about doing so that golden rose flashes in my mind and I decide against it tbh
honestly I just straight up don't think that the golden witch would write that. Like everything else in the story shows her carefully layering her heart in veils of silk and only letting people with "love" see it and I don't think that they'd just write "IF I DID IT" and put it in a bottle.
ep8 magic ending spoilers it also kind of butchers Tohya's whole deal, since it takes how all of games 3 through 8 can be read as him trying to figure out how the Witch's game relate to what really went down that day and how game 5 was very likely when he figured it out (and how that relates to games 1~5 Beato vs. Chick Beato) and just like. chucks it in the trash? I dunno, I feel like a lot of the manga is just overexplaining what was plainly evident in ep8 if you're reading it right, and the idea of Confessions feels like the culmination of that. Willard's answer key should be plenty, imo

...is it just me? am i overthinking this?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

okay I finished the ????? and well likely not stop crying until sometime next week but also lol uh did tohya have a stroke and die there at the end?

MetaMeme posted:

every time i think about doing so that golden rose flashes in my mind and I decide against it tbh
honestly I just straight up don't think that the golden witch would write that. Like everything else in the story shows her carefully layering her heart in veils of silk and only letting people with "love" see it and I don't think that they'd just write "IF I DID IT" and put it in a bottle.
ep8 magic ending spoilers it also kind of butchers Tohya's whole deal, since it takes how all of games 3 through 8 can be read as him trying to figure out how the Witch's game relate to what really went down that day and how game 5 was very likely when he figured it out (and how that relates to games 1~5 Beato vs. Chick Beato) and just like. chucks it in the trash? I dunno, I feel like a lot of the manga is just overexplaining what was plainly evident in ep8 if you're reading it right, and the idea of Confessions feels like the culmination of that. Willard's answer key should be plenty, imo

...is it just me? am i overthinking this?

i uh.... frankly am still a little unclear on both Chick Beato and the original message bottles themselves. The Forgery games are well explained enough, but the initial message bottles....they're written so someone can understand Beatrice's heart, and they're meant for Battler, but like....how did they end up being found? I know Beato mentions it briefly in Ep 8 but like....she obviously wrote them all before the incident, did she toss them to sea before the family conference or what? I can kinda understand Chick Beato on some level as Battler trying to more fully understand her heart after figuring out his sin, I guess, but I'm missing/not remembering the intent of the original message bottles or something because the obvious intended recipient and seemingly everything else about them doesn't really line up in my head.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/Fatespire/status/1625971964933464064?t=qG-_Ma2imS5-TjhTmwuFpg&s=19

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Rockman Reserve posted:

What I'm getting at here is that Sayo* gets a single line which I'll paraphrase as "Why did you bother saving me Genji, my body was ruined since the fall!" I wanted Sayo to get so much more time to vent about how every single person failed Sayo while thinking that they were acting in Sayo's best interest. I'm not interested in a "what really happened" that takes every opportunity to preserve the image of the worst actors (Kinzo and anyone who works for him).

*They canonically hate being called Yasu, so I don't really like calling them that either.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

so I can't overemphasize my surprise initially at Golden Fantasia actually being pretty fuckin' rad, or later when i was like 'who made this, anyway' and found out it was in-house 07th Expansion. :psyduck:

So Math posted:

*They canonically hate being called Yasu, so I don't really like calling them that either.

wait seriously? That must've been in Ep7 but I missed it somehow and now I feel bad, lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's actually good? I never even bothered firing it up

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It's actually good? I never even bothered firing it up

granted I only messed with it for a bit at like 4 in the morning and it was the JP version on Switch soooo I can't really speak for the plot or characterization, but...as a fighting game goes it's surprisingly competent and looks really nice in action? It's not as techy (as far as I can tell, yet) as like KOF but I was still getting some strong SNK vibes from it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Golden Fantasia is a legit fighting game.

Note that you build meter only for your partner, by the way.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Rockman Reserve posted:

wait seriously? That must've been in Ep7 but I missed it somehow and now I feel bad, lol

They directly tell the other servants not to call them Yasu early on in Clair's story.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Tomitake is photographing the event on the school festival level of Golden Fantasia. :allears:

So Math posted:

They directly tell the other servants not to call them Yasu early on in Clair's story.

oh yeah I vaguely remember that

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ultimately Umineko is entirely Sayo's story, and there are parts of it they will never say directly. A lot of the more sensitive issues are wrapped up in metaphors in the first two episodes that you'll never understand the first time reading.

I definitely think "Sayo" is the true name incidentally, just because it lines up so well with Knox's First.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Ultimately Umineko is entirely Sayo's story, and there are parts of it they will never say directly. A lot of the more sensitive issues are wrapped up in metaphors in the first two episodes that you'll never understand the first time reading.

I definitely think "Sayo" is the true name incidentally, just because it lines up so well with Knox's First.

(Higurashi + Umineko spoilers)

”Sayo” is the true name because it can be read as “34” and Ryukishi07 is terrified of that number or something.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

keep reading

going back through some of the spoilers in this thread and had to comment on your fantastic new av

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

going back through some of the spoilers in this thread and had to comment on your fantastic new av

Thank you! My sister drew it for my birthday :toot:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I had to take a break after finishing ep7. Now I've read the first chapter of ep8.

I'll try to be brief with my criticism in this post. The premise so far may as well be tailor-made to discard all of my favorite things about the characters and setting, and I don't think that teaching Ange the power of love will be able to hold my interest for a whole episode.

I liked finally getting so see Battler and Beato enjoying each other's company. That was nice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ciconia is apparently still coming.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

https://twitter.com/Uminetta_/status/1671955525586616321

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ciconia is apparently still coming.
Got a link?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Oh yeah, I could have posted that here too. Feel free to yell things about it at me, such as "qc pls".

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do I have to play Higurashi to understand Umineko?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Do I have to play Higurashi to understand Umineko?

no

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1681361636668620801?s=20

When they Cry Sales

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
So, I put off getting to the second half of Umineko for a while for a bunch of reasons, but I'm making a start back on it now again. As such I'm throwing more thoughts in here now so I can hopefully post anything else in smaller snippets afterwards, which'll cover up where I'm currently through, up until the first deaths in Episode 5. It'll probably be a bit scattered and vague though, just so I don't do a super big wall of spoilertext.

On the murders, I'm of the impression that even if not directly responsible Shannon is the main instigator each time around, as the red text about people being "dead" and named individually is easy obfuscation for "Shannon the furniture is dead, Sayo the person lives on" type cases alongside the number of people argument. On that note, even though he was on the wrong track and pressing on something relating to servant names being inherited instead, I did like the touch that Battler managed to land a decent blow with his blue argument that touched on this point at the end of Episode 4. At least some other servants are in on this from the start, Kanon and Nanjo being the main two considering the "zombie Kanon" case and incorrectly pronounced deaths being one of the main methods behind obscuring the truth behind the murders. As to the "why" for this, I'm not 100% sure on any specifics here yet, but I'm guessing that she's an illegitimate daughter of Kinzo's, like anyone from the orphanage he pulls from, hence his connection to it and why he was so willing to provide an heir from there prior to Jessica's birth. There's also the issue of Battler having forgot something important from a few years back which is directly leading to these deaths, and that event could be the time of the accidental "death" of Shannon as furniture if this is some type of long game, as I don't think there's been any red text on when that happened as of yet. So as of now, those are the things I'll probably be keeping in mind while reading, see if anything pops up to support/deny it.

The above is honestly not taking into account the Witch's side though, and I'm guessing that Beatrice is like some sort of composite being made manifest from multiple legends like "Beatrice, the murderer", "Beatrice, the source of the gold", "Beatrice, Kinzo's love", "the woman named Beatrice who died on the beach", etc, especially as she was talking to "herself" at one point when pressing Battler about what he's forgotten. So depending on if Battler accepts magic as real or not in the end, she'll either continue to exist as she is or not based on if he fully disproves every magical happening. I'm guessing this'll be the one player choice in the end, and will determine if magic is real and everyone gets to live on in the Golden Land, or if Witches are fake and he's just confirmed that everyone is dead, since they were murdered after all..

On the "hows" trick-wise for things I have okay enough grasps on, in Episode 1 I'm guessing that Shannon isn't dead as the red text mainly covers the corpses of unknown identify and her face isn't fully obscured, so she won't count among that number. From there, she'd be free to carry out more actions behind the scenes. Episode 3 is similar, where she can have the murders carried out, the other rooms locked, then seal herself inside the parlor with the key used to do so and pretend to be dead using Nanjo's help. I can't remember if there's red text saying the doors can't be locked from the inside or not, but even if so, the door could be locked from outside and the room entered via the window and then that window locked from there to complete the chain.

On the Epitaph: considering Battler got prodded into solving it, there's definitely more on it confirmed so far now, even if the specifics aren't called out. I was sure it would be an atlas in an earlier episode since that's a book that most people would be familiar with (since it was unlikely to be "satisfying" as a puzzle if it was some in-game specific text only revealed later down the line) and aware it was likely gonna be a wordplay thing on top of that, but yeah, I don't think I'd have the requisite Japanese knowledge either language-wise or geography-wise to even have a shot of getting this unaided. Still, I'm guessing the answer is plugged into the "quadrillion" epitaph at the chapel in order to reveal a path to "Kuwadorian" and the gold, but I couldn't even begin to guess at what that answer is, just that I recognise that "quadrillion" would be rendered as Kuwadorian at least very roughly if done via Katakana, which is why that lines up in my head.

On the Episode 5 specifics so far, this one seems to be a real mess. Like, I'm guessing this is mainly the game which is set up to show what bad moves Beatrice intentionally makes since it has entirely different people setting it up. I'm guessing events will still be "within reason" as to what could happen on the island but will be just absolutely off the rails compared to what Beatrice would do, like with killing off all of the kids bar Battler at the start.

But yeah, most importantly of all, even though I've not even see a full episode's worth of stuff from her yet: Furudo Erika may be the detective, she may not be the culprit, but she sure as hell is gonna be stirring poo poo up to get kicks out of it, drat.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

jfc lmao :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eirika is a dickhead