Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Arc Impulse posted:

So, I put off getting to the second half of Umineko for a while for a bunch of reasons, but I'm making a start back on it now again. As such I'm throwing more thoughts in here now so I can hopefully post anything else in smaller snippets afterwards, which'll cover up where I'm currently through, up until the first deaths in Episode 5. It'll probably be a bit scattered and vague though, just so I don't do a super big wall of spoilertext.

On the murders, I'm of the impression that even if not directly responsible Shannon is the main instigator each time around, as the red text about people being "dead" and named individually is easy obfuscation for "Shannon the furniture is dead, Sayo the person lives on" type cases alongside the number of people argument. On that note, even though he was on the wrong track and pressing on something relating to servant names being inherited instead, I did like the touch that Battler managed to land a decent blow with his blue argument that touched on this point at the end of Episode 4. At least some other servants are in on this from the start, Kanon and Nanjo being the main two considering the "zombie Kanon" case and incorrectly pronounced deaths being one of the main methods behind obscuring the truth behind the murders. As to the "why" for this, I'm not 100% sure on any specifics here yet, but I'm guessing that she's an illegitimate daughter of Kinzo's, like anyone from the orphanage he pulls from, hence his connection to it and why he was so willing to provide an heir from there prior to Jessica's birth. There's also the issue of Battler having forgot something important from a few years back which is directly leading to these deaths, and that event could be the time of the accidental "death" of Shannon as furniture if this is some type of long game, as I don't think there's been any red text on when that happened as of yet. So as of now, those are the things I'll probably be keeping in mind while reading, see if anything pops up to support/deny it.

The above is honestly not taking into account the Witch's side though, and I'm guessing that Beatrice is like some sort of composite being made manifest from multiple legends like "Beatrice, the murderer", "Beatrice, the source of the gold", "Beatrice, Kinzo's love", "the woman named Beatrice who died on the beach", etc, especially as she was talking to "herself" at one point when pressing Battler about what he's forgotten. So depending on if Battler accepts magic as real or not in the end, she'll either continue to exist as she is or not based on if he fully disproves every magical happening. I'm guessing this'll be the one player choice in the end, and will determine if magic is real and everyone gets to live on in the Golden Land, or if Witches are fake and he's just confirmed that everyone is dead, since they were murdered after all..

On the "hows" trick-wise for things I have okay enough grasps on, in Episode 1 I'm guessing that Shannon isn't dead as the red text mainly covers the corpses of unknown identify and her face isn't fully obscured, so she won't count among that number. From there, she'd be free to carry out more actions behind the scenes. Episode 3 is similar, where she can have the murders carried out, the other rooms locked, then seal herself inside the parlor with the key used to do so and pretend to be dead using Nanjo's help. I can't remember if there's red text saying the doors can't be locked from the inside or not, but even if so, the door could be locked from outside and the room entered via the window and then that window locked from there to complete the chain.

On the Epitaph: considering Battler got prodded into solving it, there's definitely more on it confirmed so far now, even if the specifics aren't called out. I was sure it would be an atlas in an earlier episode since that's a book that most people would be familiar with (since it was unlikely to be "satisfying" as a puzzle if it was some in-game specific text only revealed later down the line) and aware it was likely gonna be a wordplay thing on top of that, but yeah, I don't think I'd have the requisite Japanese knowledge either language-wise or geography-wise to even have a shot of getting this unaided. Still, I'm guessing the answer is plugged into the "quadrillion" epitaph at the chapel in order to reveal a path to "Kuwadorian" and the gold, but I couldn't even begin to guess at what that answer is, just that I recognise that "quadrillion" would be rendered as Kuwadorian at least very roughly if done via Katakana, which is why that lines up in my head.

On the Episode 5 specifics so far, this one seems to be a real mess. Like, I'm guessing this is mainly the game which is set up to show what bad moves Beatrice intentionally makes since it has entirely different people setting it up. I'm guessing events will still be "within reason" as to what could happen on the island but will be just absolutely off the rails compared to what Beatrice would do, like with killing off all of the kids bar Battler at the start.

But yeah, most importantly of all, even though I've not even see a full episode's worth of stuff from her yet: Furudo Erika may be the detective, she may not be the culprit, but she sure as hell is gonna be stirring poo poo up to get kicks out of it, drat.

Just remember friend,

Without love, it cannot be seen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gaius Marius posted:

Eirika is a dickhead

yeah but episode 6.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
Okay, yeah, so like one more scene on from where I was and I can agree, Erika is a dickhead. This stuff'll cover up through like partway through Episode 5, "Reasoning and Inspection", past the talk in Beatrice's garden after the study debate.

But yeah, first thing's first, Erika really is such a little poo poo, considering how she blows off stress with Dlanor's subordinates, drat. Considering Battler's already put her in her place twice now with the missing Kinzo scene and the history of serial murder fiction, I very much hope that she's here to be the seemingly hyper-competent detective who's always gonna get dunked on. I mean, I'm sure it'll backfire considering she's gonna hold a grudge that'll carry between games and she'll do something heinous in the end, but hey, nothing to say that won't backfire on her either to be fair.

On the most recent debate and the scene following it, magic really is just the ability to get people to buy into your bullshit isn't it? It's great. Kinzo 100% couldn't have slipped out the door, sure, but he sure as hell could have jumped out the window when nobody was looking, I'd believe that. Even if Dlanor has to be tough when she's out on the job, she seems chill enough as a person at the very least, which sorta matches up with how a lot of the Witch side characters are fairly pleasant outside of the whole "gotta murder you all, sorry" business. Really makes Erika's shittalking and related treatment about her being a doll even worse afterwards, seriously, that kid really is a dick. Also, hey, I recognize some of those voice clips from SiivaGunner rips as well, nice to have that context now too.

And last for now, on some of the meta stuff: The whole talk on magic being there to embellish something was interesting, and I'm wondering if that's at least part of why the whole murder mystery is going on. Since some non-human event/device/whatever kills off Battler at the very least at the end of Ep 4, I'm curious if at least some of the goal is to change the context of things overall. If the end result is "everyone on Rokkenjima is dead as of the end of each game", if the process was originally something like "a volcano erupted and took everyone out" like I previously theorized, then changing that via magic to "a Witch killed everyone, but she's willing to let them live on forever in the Golden Land" would be a much kinder thing despite the methods used (well, mostly). It'd certainly explain the very specific bounds on the game as well, if that end event is still fated to happen anyway and using magic to "obscure the result", as it was put, would be bad.

Still, I'll likely get reading on more tonight or tomorrow once I get a bit more time to fit in a good chunk of stuff!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I loving love Erika Furudo and almost made an av featuring her...

... Almost.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Thinking about how interesting it is how not terrible Jessica ended up as a member of the Ushiromiya family

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing about Umineko that I don't think is a spoiler to mention (but I guess I'll still put in tags just because) - you're not really supposed to try and understand exactly what's happening with all the "meta" stuff. It's basically a sort of ambiguous narrative device for exploring the characters and their circumstances.

I think that can be worth mentioning, because otherwise someone might end up wasting lots of time trying to come up with some theory about the story's metaphysics.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
preparing for my first read of Umineko by doing the most logical thing, which is of course first reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

and actually I've already finished it because I read the entire thing in a single sitting, I could not put it down, holy poo poo it was fantastic! I read a lot of stuff but mystery is one of those genres I don't really pay attention to (thus why I wanted to brush up before Umineko) and was really blown away

turns out of the best selling and most beloved books of all time is pretty good

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

preparing for my first read of Umineko by doing the most logical thing, which is of course first reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

and actually I've already finished it because I read the entire thing in a single sitting, I could not put it down, holy poo poo it was fantastic! I read a lot of stuff but mystery is one of those genres I don't really pay attention to (thus why I wanted to brush up before Umineko) and was really blown away

turns out of the best selling and most beloved books of all time is pretty good

If you want further reading to fully appreciate the murder mystery aspects of Umineko. I highly recommend reading up on the New Orthodox movement in Japanese mystery writing and its break from the Social School (Shakai-ha)

This article offers a good précis:
https://crimereads.com/the-honkaku-and-shin-honkaku-mysteries-of-seishi-yokomizo/

Of the formative works of the New Orthodox movement, The Decagon House Murders and The Tokyo Zodiac Mysteries are the ones to read in terms of Umineko.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 9, 2023

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

fez_machine posted:

If you want further reading to fully appreciate the murder mystery aspects of Umineko. I highly recommend reading up on the New Orthodox movement in Japanese mystery writing and its break from the Social School (Shakai-ha)

This article offers a good précis:
https://crimereads.com/the-honkaku-and-shin-honkaku-mysteries-of-seishi-yokomizo/

Of the formative works of the New Orthodox movement, The Decagon House Murders and The Tokyo Zodiac Mysteries are the ones to read in terms of Umineko.

Thank you so much for this. I'm about a 1/3 through Decagon House Murders and it's really good. The prose is not what I usually like, but there was a lengthy forward written by Soji Shimada (the author of the latter book you recommended) that explained the reason for it and actually repeated or clarified a lot of the same things in the article

It really is very similar to the feeling of playing mystery game or VN. the Decagon House itself has a very Zero Escape feel to it lol

WarpDogs fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 10, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tokyo Zodiac Murders is very good, it's follow up Murder in the Crooked house is far too technical, endless staring at diagrams and doing distances. Never read none of the others Shimada wrote.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

It really is very similar to the feeling of playing mystery game or VN. the Decagon House itself has a very Zero Escape feel to it lol

Yeah, the line of influence from Decagon House is pretty much a straight line to the original ADV games and then to every other mystery VN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wOtv-J7tOI

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Beans?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

fez_machine posted:

Finished both of these, and I'm really glad I took this little detour. I feel like I have a much deeper appreciation of mysteries and shin honkaku now

I really liked The Decagon House Murders (and actually solved it) despite its unusual character writing and idiosyncrasies. I liked Tokyo Zodiac Mysteries a lot less. The former always had its eye on the prize, something important was happening constantly and every observation was worth considering.

Tokyo Zodiac meanwhile dumps name after name on you, and that's on top of really specific detours that go on for far too long. As in, 20 pages worth of longitudes and latitudes, 30 pages worth of astrology, and none of it mattered lol. which I get was the *point*, people's imaginations ran wild which helped the killer get away with it and they used the same trick on the reader. but the misdirection loses its fun when it becomes tedious. you can just trick me with things that are interesting instead of things that are boring!! I also didn't find the killer nearly as interesting or as like... comprehensible lol

definitely worth reading both, though, if only for the history and understanding. anyway, onto Umineko

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

tell me not to get the one winged golden eagle tattooed on my thigh like beato the elder

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

tell me not to get the one winged golden eagle tattooed on my thigh like beato the elder

do you want to be kinzo's furniture

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Probably too early to start posting CIA documents but I'm choosing to :justpost: anyway

Chapter 1, first crime
Starts with a bang by offing 6 people at once, many of who seemed like they'd be major players. Such a large amount (plus the "chosen by the key" hint from the epitaph) definitely invites speculation as to what the pattern or commonalities are
- 75% of the adult children are killed. Eva benefits the most
- Half the victims are male, the other female. On purpose?
- Every survivor is impacted in a surprisingly even way, except perhaps Battler and Maria who got it the worst. Eva / Hideyoshi are less impacted but would also be chief suspects
- Main house only. Shannon only killed by bad luck (?) of her being there
- Despite so many victims, only Krauss and Shannon are truly exonerated, can't rule out body doubles for the remaining 4 due to smashed heads

Seems unlikely one person could do this all. Were they all lured to the shed? How? What's with the smashed heads? You'd do that to conceal identities, but it is much harder to pull that swap off on an isolated island where everyone knows each other and everyone has very different body types.

There could be two murderers here. The first is the "basic" murderer, motivated by family drama. Krauss and Gohda team up to kill the adult kids (and Kyrie) then used their big muscles to bring them to the tool shed. Shannon was in wrong place, wrong time. Then the 2nd murderer, the "ritual" (now main) murderer, realizes Krauss and Gohda make 6 to match the epitaph and finishes the job and makes it all part of their ritual. they then smash the faces to conceal part of the crime and make it appear everyone was killed by one person and in the same way.

Advanced artificial intelligence recreates possible crime scene tampering:

Current Suspects for Main Murderer
Natushi
- Has motive for wanting to kill the family + to do so in a way that pleases Kinzo / makes her a true part of the family
- Headaches could be a mask for some kind of willful memory loss or blackout crazy stuff
- Could have painted the evil symbol with her hands and then went back to her bedroom, thus getting the goop on her own door handle. The charm is just a reader misdirect
- She's gotta snap one day, holy poo poo these people are awful to her

Kanon
- Seems to harbor a lot of resentment
- Would have easy access to Kinzo and his derangement / plans
- The whole "furniture" thing must have a deeper or more nuanced meaning than the obvious. Implies he's a tool of some kind? Unwilling, maybe?
- He's always involved somehow. Discovered people were missing, discovered the places where the bodies were, is one of the few people who could have given Maria the umbrella and note unnoticed, and he may have witnessed Kinzo chucking the ring
- This is meta and maybe off base, but feels like there may be a gender reveal that he is actually a she. His voice, stature, some hints in his personality are similar to others in anime / VN in which it's revealed the somewhat feminine boy who isn't as strong or manly is in fact a girl!! Maybe Kanon is Beatrice reincarnated, or Beatrice's granddaughter? The whole orphanage thing is super suspicious

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

do you want to be kinzo's furniture

kinzo is dead, long live the queen of rokkenjima's night

WarpDogs posted:

Probably too early to start posting CIA documents but I'm choosing to :justpost: anyway
[....]

ihihihihihi

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I thiiiink they're probably just supposed to be tights or something with the design on them, rather than a full on tattoo

But I could be wrong

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think its fabric, maybe a temporary tattoo?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think its fabric, maybe a temporary tattoo?

sounds like some coward poo poo.

anyway everyone enjoy the First Day tomorrow, if you’re a rich rear end in a top hat stay away from islands for a few days, you know the drill

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

Ah, new Umineko reader! I'm envious. It's my favorite thing I've ever read/seen/played, without question.

One non-spoilery advice - you can generally rely on logic like "this seems impractical" (though there might be some circumstances where something seems impractical but actually isn't due to one thing or another). In the end, everything makes sense given the circumstances of all the "players" involved. I mention this only because other mysteries sometimes have super implausible elements to them, so this is basically just a reassurance that you can write off that possibility. If something seems really implausible, it either isn't the case, or there's some circumstances that actually makes it plausible.

Also, it's basically impossible to fully solve in Episode 1; you mainly want to be learning about the various characters (though you can still probably eliminate some possibilities and definitely want to factor everything into your thinking).

And one more thing that I personally think is worth mentioning, since it's something that really threw me off when I first read Umineko - you can't really rely on a normal "protagonist gradually hones in on the truth" approach to the mystery like in many other stories. Occasionally characters will propose something that is 100% correct (to an extent that is downright amusing in hindsight), only to be dismissed/brushed off.

Anyways, definitely let us know what you're thinking as you continue playing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Happy Halloween for Maria! ver. 37

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

also bro's...sis'...I LOVE erika furudo

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I just saw this cover of kina no kaori, which released only a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvjYFOPG6RA

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
(Umineko ep3 stuff, plausible speculation for future episodes?)

Arc Impulse posted:

There may also be some extra confusion from how the Red Truths are being phrased in regards to the definition of "human" perhaps not including those deemed as "furniture" by the witches too

from way back at the start of the thread but how the gently caress have I missed this so far. there was like half an episode about how furniture is not human and I still assumed the servants counted as human for the purpose of the number of people on the island

ymgve fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 20, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Get used to being astonished at what you missed

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

spoilers for everything:

does the non-human-ness of servants actually matter for the count of humans on the island? my memory is that was handled through other means. kanon and shannon counted as one person instead of zero, for example.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

spoilers for everything:

does the non-human-ness of servants actually matter for the count of humans on the island? my memory is that was handled through other means. kanon and shannon counted as one person instead of zero, for example.

full spoilers as well

I don't think so, but it at least gets someone thinking in the right direction of a distinction between vocabulary used.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also full spoilers

Very funny how Erika manages to step on this exact rake 3 times in a row at the end of episode 6

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Umineko 5th episode: Not sure it's just something that's been misinterpreted by the game creator/translator or a clue, but the game says Knox's 3rd rule is that no hidden passages can exist in red, while the actual real-life Knox's rules said that at most one hidden room or passage can exist

Also this meta-not-meta section is stupid and confusing. And the bunnies are back.

Though I guess:

ymgve fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 20, 2024

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

ymgve posted:

Umineko 5th episode: Not sure it's just something that's been misinterpreted by the game creator/translator or a clue, but the game says Knox's 3rd rule is that no hidden passages can exist in red, while the actual real-life Knox's rules said that at most one hidden room or passage can exist

Also this meta-not-meta section is stupid and confusing. And the bunnies are back.

Though I guess:

As I recall, any modifications to Knox's decalogue are deliberate decisions by the author, made to simplify application of the rules within the context of the "game board." You can trust the red, can't you?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ymgve posted:

Though I guess:

If we're being specific, the full text also includes "I would add that a secret passage should not be brought in at all unless the action takes place in the kind of house where such devices might be expected."

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Cyouni posted:

If we're being specific, the full text also includes "I would add that a secret passage should not be brought in at all unless the action takes place in the kind of house where such devices might be expected."

Well, I wouldn't put it past Kinzo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Umineko ep6: I'm not totally finished with the episode yet, but why did Erika have the authority to say the guest room seals were unbroken? Wouldn't the decision whether they were broken or not be entirely the privilege of the game master, Battler, which was what the whole previous part had been about?

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 23, 2024

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

ymgve posted:

Umineko ep6: I'm not totally finished with the episode yet, but why did Erika have the authority to say the guest room seals were unbroken? Wouldn't the decision whether they were broken or not be entirely the privilege of the game master, Battler, which was what the whole previous part had been about?

She got the duct tape back, didn't she? Which gives her limited but perfect knowledge of the seals. IIRC Battler could break them and thus let her know with zero ambiguity that they're broken, but he's not willing to do so. For reasons.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

LordMune posted:

She got the duct tape back, didn't she? Which gives her limited but perfect knowledge of the seals. IIRC Battler could break them and thus let her know with zero ambiguity that they're broken, but he's not willing to do so. For reasons.

But Battler wasn’t the one that announced in red that the guest house seals were unbroken. He didn’t get to decide.

That whole part was bad and contrived to reach certain plot points. Erika should have been thrown out of the game for claiming she cut the heads off everyone retroactively without ever having announced it in the first place. When that was allowed, any kind of logic went out the window. And anyway, in no game before this was it the witch’s side’s job to explain the mystery. It’s not a logic error to say something was done by a witch, which is what has happened for all previous games.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ymgve posted:

But Battler wasn’t the one that announced in red that the guest house seals were unbroken. He didn’t get to decide.

He was. That was the whole point. You can see it here and in the previous update.

ymgve posted:

That whole part was bad and contrived to reach certain plot points. Erika should have been thrown out of the game for claiming she cut the heads off everyone retroactively without ever having announced it in the first place.

Note that it already happened, which is why it could be said in red. It's the equivalent of revealing you already removed the card that makes the magician's trick work while they're presenting it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ymgve posted:

That whole part was bad and contrived to reach certain plot points. Erika should have been thrown out of the game for claiming she cut the heads off everyone retroactively without ever having announced it in the first place. When that was allowed, any kind of logic went out the window. And anyway, in no game before this was it the witch’s side’s job to explain the mystery. It’s not a logic error to say something was done by a witch, which is what has happened for all previous games.

I think the game master is responsible for manipulating every actor except the detective. So if the seals were unbroken it demonstrates that the game master didn't run their game correctly - he can't retroactively change what the detective has witnessed. Similarly Erika did actually cut everyone's head off during the game and Battler can't change that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Also Lambda is the referee. You can think of Erika's actions as Bern writing secret orders and giving them to Lambda to resolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Cyouni posted:

He was. That was the whole point. You can see it here and in the previous update.

That is about the main house room seals, though? I’m talking about the guest house rooms seals

edit: This is the exact moment I'm talking about : https://lparchive.org/Umineko-no-Naku-Koro-ni-Chiru/Update%2064/56-1718.png from https://lparchive.org/Umineko-no-Naku-Koro-ni-Chiru/Update%2064/

ymgve fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 24, 2024