Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Rockman Reserve posted:

At what point should I check the Hints section? How much does it give away? I'd like to engage with it on its own terms but also lol.

Every time you get it wrong you get another hint. There are something like 20 in all, but by around 12 they outright start giving you hard answers piece by piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I regret cheating thru that puzzle

I just wanted to read more, lol

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Finally finished Ep 6!

Oh man I was so happy to see Beato acting like a closed room witch master again. Like I didn't expect to feel so happy to see her again heh.

The Shannon/Kanon duel pretty much seals the deal that they're two personalities sharing the same body. Same as Beatrice. I guess next episode we might finally be taking a look behind the curtain to see who the Mystery Person behind all these tulpas is!

Also, something I've been mulling over then is the question of the Culprit. Namely, is Beatrice the Culprit? In a mechanical sense, Shannon=Kanon=Beatrice=??? can wiggle through a bunch of closed rooms I'm sure. But, as Ange said, if Beatrice really, truly killed all of Battler's family, would he forgive her so easily? Beyond that, if the servants were the root cause of all this, why would Eva keep this all a secret?

I'm talking about Ep 4's Eva, who emerged as the sole survivor from the wreckage of Ep 3. As the sole survivor, the police investigated her thoroughly and found no evidence that she committed the crimes. While she appeared to be deeply involved, could it be that she's a red herring? After all, as many people throughout the game keep saying, the police are infallible, right? So they definitely wouldn't wrongly proclaim someone innocent! :classiclol:

So what we have next is the question of why Eva refused to reveal anything about what happened on the island. If the truth was that all the servants rose up and slaughtered everyone, why wouldn't she say so? It'd be the obvious choice to show her innocence and rewrite the unfortunate media narrative around herself, and I'm sure there's probably some sort of evidence that can be scrounged up what with the hush money sent to Nanjo/Kumasawa/Ange and all. So if the servants didn't commit the murders in Episode 3, who could?

If you look at Eva with 'love', Eva, at first, wasn't crazed by her own hatred and crushed by the world. So maybe when she returned from the Rokkenjima accident, she wanted to shield Ange from some kind of awful truth. At this point we've thoroughly explored the nuances of each family unit: Krauss/Natsuhi, Eva/Hideyoshi, and Rosa. Everyone except for Rudolf and Kyrie.

What if the awful truth Eva wanted to hide from Ange was that Rudolf and Kyrie were the culprits?

Yeah this doesn't really explain Episodes 1 and 2 where they both showed up dead early (with red-confirmed deaths?). But at least for Episode 3, I think it might have been doable, and it provides an explanation for why Eva decided to hide the truth behind Rokkenjima at the cost of her own sanity. There's still a lot of uncertainty around Asumu and whatever happened with Battler at birthtime too.

EDIT: I guess another possibility is that none of these are 'real' and all of these are 'stories'. Episodes 1 and 2 were message bottle murder mysteries written by the ??? behind the three Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice tulpas. Episodes 3, 4, 5, and 6 were fanfics written by Featherine. In reality, everyone on Rokkenjima is alive and well. When the cat box is opened, it will be revealed that everything was a murder mystery party. I think that's a little less satisfying though, but it does seem like the narrative is moving that way too.

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 6, 2023

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I solved that puzzle before the rules were even explained. It would have saved me a lot of time to actually go to the point where they explained it though lol.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cyouni posted:

Every time you get it wrong you get another hint. There are something like 20 in all, but by around 12 they outright start giving you hard answers piece by piece.

What? How can there possibly be that many, is it a lot more complicated than I'm making it? :psyduck:

MegaZeroX posted:

I solved that puzzle before the rules were even explained. It would have saved me a lot of time to actually go to the point where they explained it though lol.

If you're talking about the same one from Ep8 very much same, i still haven't solved it but i do have notebook pages with every purple text scribbled down with notes and a couple pretty solid theories. Would've saved a ton of time if I knew the game would just give me such a nicely organized interface to check everything.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Mid ep 7
Called Lion being the 'happy universe' manifestation of Shannon=Kanon=Beatrice=???...and now we have a name for this ??? person too: Yasuda.

Yeah figured that something deeply messed up happened between Kinzo and Kuwadorian Beatrice :( I wasn't sure if Umineko was really going to go there so I kept hoping that maybe it was something else but...oof. Also, that bit about how Battler didn't get to the truth on time and how all Yasu wanted was to be 'seen' by someone (and the self-loathing implied by them burying their true self under a bunch of alternate personalities), ouch :smith: Looking increasingly likely that we're gonna be getting a sad ending.

Anyways it looks like we're in for a ride through Yasu's unfortunate past. It does seem like my last ditch Kyrie+Rudolf theory is scuttled just judging from the tone of this episode thus far, so uh, yeah looks like Yasuda is both Beatrice and the culprit. Guessing finding out the truth behind their heritage is going to break their mind and make them plot the explosion and the massacres, wiping this sordid family off the earth.

EDIT: I was reading back through my old posts and aaaaRGHH THAT LINE BEATRICE SAID IN EP 4 ABOUT HOW KINZO TAUGHT HER WHAT IT MEANT TO BE FURNITURE! NOOOOOOOO! drat I'm dreading where this is gonna go. I really hope that line is Yasuda speaking from the perspective of their dead mother as opposed to Kinzo perpetrating his abuse to his grandchild :smith:

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 10, 2023

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

is this where I get to say bernsip.jpg because bernsip.jpg

E8: so if my accusation is incorrect nothing happens but I’m assuming Bern mocks me and I unlock a hint?. Like I said in my last post I’m pretty convinced…

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

is this where I get to say bernsip.jpg because bernsip.jpg

E8: so if my accusation is incorrect nothing happens but I’m assuming Bern mocks me and I unlock a hint?. Like I said in my last post I’m pretty convinced…

Yeah, just go for it

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Still on Umineko ep 7

I understand on a logical level why Battler seemed to have completely forgotten about Shannon: mom died, Dad immediately remarried and told him that he was cheating on his mom all along and bam little sister, Battler thus decided to renounce the Ushiromiyas, his grandparents encouraged this family separation, and also Battler was like twelve years old, but emotionally I'm like, ARGHH how could you have forgotten her!? It seems to have been a multi-year friendship where they frequently met up with each other and talked about mystery novels! And the very first thing you do after seeing your old time crush is try to jokingly grope her breasts? Come on, man. I feel awful on Shannon's side, because she clearly built up and pinned all of her hopes on this false image of Battler, and when they finally reunite, far from taking her away on a white horse, he immediately tried to grab her breasts...

Wait, no, Battler met Kanon first, right? So yeah he failed to 'see' that Kanon is Shannon, which is likely the reason for Kanon's reticence, and then when he does see Shannon in the form he ought to be familiar with, he tries to sexually harass her. Like, I know it's all a joke on his end, but man I just feel really awful for Yasuda.

Also eeesh looks like Genji was thinking what I was dreading in his conversation with Kinzo. It looks like the epitaph was 'theoretically' solvable but was meant to only be 'solved' by the secret child of Kinzo and Kuwadorian Beatrice. Kinzo says he regrets it but you know what, somehow I don't 100% believe this dude.

I was kinda glum before but I still don't want to give up hope that Yasuda didn't actually commit the murders and all of this was a series of stories written for Battler the mystery lover somehow, and yeah something goes wrong at some point...we'll see.

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 11, 2023

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Akarshi posted:

Still on Umineko ep 7

And the very first thing you do after seeing your old time crush is try to jokingly grope her breasts? Come on, man. I feel awful on Shannon's side, because she clearly built up and pinned all of her hopes on this false image of Battler, and when they finally reunite, far from taking her away on a white horse, he immediately tried to grab her breasts...

But have you considered that had he "succeeded," everyone (well, a majority anyway) might have lived happily (for a given value of happiness) ever after?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hmmm. The first hint is either entirely less than helpful OR clarifies a rule that should have been laid out better from the start - I certainly don’t recall anything implying the culprit *can’t* tell the truth using purple…was there?. It kinda changes things considerably.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

Hmmm. The first hint is either entirely less than helpful OR clarifies a rule that should have been laid out better from the start - I certainly don’t recall anything implying the culprit *can’t* tell the truth using purple…was there?. It kinda changes things considerably.

The culprit MAY lie in purple but is not required to

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah but the first hint is all “well who can you rule out as a culprit because they’re telling the truth”, which is like…. nobody if the culprit isn’t required to lie. It’s throwing me off bad.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
That's not what the first hint is intended to communicate, I think. "Look for characters who can't possibly be the culprit and treat their purple statements as red truth." It's stated as !culprit-->truth, not the other way around.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Would it be too much to ask the thread to point me at a twilight to focus on? I’ve gotta be honest, the first and second twilights seem to have pretty obvious suspects and 5-8 - ESPECIALLY 7 and 8 - just seem like they don’t really have much to puzzle out. The fourth twilight (victim: Shannon) is fucky as hell for a few reasons but maybe I’m just digging too deep at the wrong well here.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

Yeah but the first hint is all “well who can you rule out as a culprit because they’re telling the truth”, which is like…. nobody if the culprit isn’t required to lie. It’s throwing me off bad.
There is something culprits are not allowed to do. If you find someone who has definitely done that thing you can rule them out as a suspect and therefore treat all their purple text as truth.

e: also bear in mind that non-purple text from the narrator is guaranteed to be true.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 12, 2023

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

you might wanna spoiler all that but also :doh: god drat it i'm dumb

e: although honestly that narrows it down quite a bit less than it might seem at first, because as far as I can tell Shannon and Kanon have to be culprits due to the first two twilights, but keeping them alive through the fourth twilight causes a weird cascade through the remaining possibilities. The...only thing I can really think of is that Sayo faked their death and maybe took their ring off or something, Nanjo lies and says they're dead, 'confirm[ing] her death', and George is 'forced to acknowledge it'. Later, Nanjo lets Sayo into the guesthouse, where the final murders are committed (with the exception of Jessica, which...I don't think there's any particular reason Sayo couldn't have left and been waiting for her - or hell, for Jessica to get struck by lightning for all it matters to the purple text).

Buuuuuuuuuut that seems way too easy, and frankly I'm Team Sayo here if only because Beatrice rules and Bernkastel sucks. But trying to spin the chessboard so it's not them means that the Second Twilight kind of falls apart...

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 12, 2023

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

aaaand after I typed that all up of course I tested it and it's not that simple. But I got the first clue again because I apparently didn't save last time. gently caress

honestly my next theory is some or all of the cousins but gently caress. i'm simultaneously relieved that it's not just Shannon/Kanon/Sayo and frustrated that I'm going in logic circles now.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

try writing it down or drawing a graph and such. that helped a lot

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

try writing it down or drawing a graph and such. that helped a lot

lol i have been - and at this point i have most of the purple text pretty much memorized.

letting it simmer a bit before blowing a guess, but....okay. Since Nanjo isn't a culprit Sayo is cleared entirely.....and so are the rest of the servants. Which means the Second Twilight has to involve someone pulling an Episode 6 Kanon and doing the deed, then hiding in the room until the game ends to not break the seals. That rules out anyone we're told is alive after the first twilight. And Sayo and Nanjo's statements in conjunction mean that if it was a cousin, their parent/s could still be alive and in on it. The mystery needs another thought-dead culprit to carry out the seemingly impossible killings in the guesthouse, because Jessica confirms that 'it can't be the four cousins or Doctor Nanjo' for the fifth and sixth twilights at least, and I want to say she says something similar for the seventh twilight as well. So, from this chain of logic, a cousin with parent/s who were 'victims' on the first twilight is working in conjunction with them. That...kind of rules out Maria (at least on her own, and because of the statements during the Eighth Twilight she'd need to be working in conjunction with George at least...) because she only had one parent die in the first twilight - if Rosa stays behind in Natsuhi's room, the remaining twilights in the guesthouse run into problems. So that kind of leaves Battler-Rudolf-Kyrie or George-Eva-Hideyoshi. In either case, the culprit for the first twilight is one of the parents who kills four people, then goes and performs the second twilight (making six dead) and hides. The other parent prepares in the guesthouse. The cousin culprit kills Shannon (or Kanon, if we're going with George here), and the parent in the guesthouse performs the rest of the twilights.

I'd....need to go and check but I think the biggest point of contention between the families' respective mouthpieces in the late game is during the seventh twilight when George claims Nanjo couldn't be killed by anyone in the guesthouse and Battler claims proof that Nanjo didn't leave. I'll have to double check George's and Battler's statements a bit more next time and check on the wording of George's statement there.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

LordMune posted:

But have you considered that had he "succeeded," everyone (well, a majority anyway) might have lived happily (for a given value of happiness) ever after?

Er, wait I'm dense. Why would that be the case?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Akarshi posted:

Er, wait I'm dense. Why would that be the case?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but (ep7) Shannon is padded the hell up. Consider that Yasuda wanted to be found out and Shannon makes no attempt to shield herself. Had her boob-ruse been uncovered, it's likely the murder plot would have been abandoned right then and there. This is echoed again in episode 2, where Jessica laments Shannon and George not sharing a room on their trip to the aquarium—had they done so, all would have come undone well before the family conference of 1986. Umineko is full of near-misses like that, and it rules.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

LordMune posted:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but (ep7) Shannon is padded the hell up. Consider that Yasuda wanted to be found out and Shannon makes no attempt to shield herself. Had her boob-ruse been uncovered, it's likely the murder plot would have been abandoned right then and there. This is echoed again in episode 2, where Jessica laments Shannon and George not sharing a room on their trip to the aquarium—had they done so, all would have come undone well before the family conference of 1986. Umineko is full of near-misses like that, and it rules.

Oh. Ohhhhhh. Somehow it never occurred to me that Shannon was padded up. I thought the sprites were like, projections of how Yasu saw each tulpa, combined with anime exaggeration, so I didn't really think about the size of Shannon's boobs (and vaguely assumed that Yasu was chest-binding as Kanon as opposed to chest-enhancing as Shannon). Yeahhh that makes a lot of sense haha, especially considering the appearance of Lion's sprite.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LordMune posted:

Full game, don't read Akarshi
Akarshi hasn't finished the game yet and I don't think has picked up on everything involving Yasu/Shannon yet (though they're generally way closer than most people get by that point), so this is kind of spoiler territory for them (though they apparently just interpreted your post as implying Yasu/Shannon were flat-chested).

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Full game, don't read Akarshi
Akarshi hasn't finished the game yet and I don't think has picked up on everything involving Yasu/Shannon yet (though they're generally way closer than most people get by that point), so this is kind of spoiler territory for them (though they apparently just interpreted your post as implying Yasu/Shannon were flat-chested).

You might be right. It's all there, but maybe the game itself doesn't fully contextualize much of it until a bit later. A regrettable post.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

LordMune posted:

"There is one way to kill me. You can grasp it with your own hands."

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 13, 2023

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

e8
hahahahahaha but also what the heck, where is this going

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

e8
hahahahahaha but also what the heck, where is this going

The golden land presumably

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

kind of lol'in at the tense description of (huge e8 spoiler) Battler's evil demonic grin and it's like....just...his normal sprite, not even a full screen CG. like, come on.

e: as usual i spoke too soon

e2: well, this is going places

e3: what the gently caress is she doing here

e4: what the gently caress is she doing here

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 13, 2023

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Tea Party ep 7
Oh man I was right! It was Rudolf and Kyrie!

Okay, so that means that Yasu is at most guilty of conspiracy to murder. Regardless of whether or not they actually killed anyone, they certainly were planning to. However, when the cat box is opened, the truth is that the joint solving of the epitaph leads to a massacre led by Rudolf and Kyrie (with a conspicuously missing Battler?)

So Episodes 1 and 2 did not happen; they happened only in the message bottles that Yasu wrote. Episode 3 was 'close to the truth' in that it appeared to have led to the future where Ange exists, but may have just been an interpretation of events by Featherine (and I think the title of Ep 3 was listed as one of her message bottles). Episodes 4, 5, 6: different message bottles.

It's pretty sad for Ange that one of her main character traits, even pre-trauma, was 'being unlikable'. Like, Kyrie stated that she disliked her. The cousins seem to have completely forgotten that she existed in their get-togethers (who was it that said it sure was nice to have all the cousins together? Hmmmm...). Ange befriended a projection of Maria in her mind, but in reality she tore apart Maria's Sakutaro dreams and Maria refused to play with her afterwards. And then you get, well, everything that happened to her after her family died. Yeah I didn't really think about it before but there's a lot of dumping the narrative does on Ange, in regards to how others see her.

Speaking of Ange, she reverted back into the 'crushed meat' form once more. Does that mean that all of this is a dying dream seen by Ange as she jumps off the skyscraper?

Regardless it seems that everyone in this story, from the perspective of the future, is dead. I don't know if Lion escapes their fate or not (I paused once credits roll), but it brings to mind questions about the nature of the truth.

Life of Pi spoilers ahead, in case anyone hasn't read it.

Something I've been thinking about wrt Umineko is that it really reminds me of the book Life of Pi. I read that story ages ago when I was a kid, tricked by the blurb that advertised it as being similar to Calvin and Hobbes, and it made a big impression on me at the time. I sort of had the book in the back of my mind while reading this, but it really got brought to the forefront at this tea party.

Pi, an Indian boy, describes the fantastical tale of how he survived a shipwreck with a hyena and an orangutan and a tiger named Richard Parker. Richard Parker ate the hyena and the orangutan, but left Pi alive. The two of them go through a lot, and Richard Parker eventually leaves Pi on an island. At the end, Pi is interviewed by a couple of policemen who reject his story as being unrealistic. Pi then tells a second, much darker story, of what happened: a story without animals, of people being cruel to each other. Then he asks the policemen which story they prefer.

There is no way to prove what happened on Pi's raft. The policemen ultimately decided to go with Pi's original version of events, with the animals, as the 'truth'. It may not be strictly 'true', but if there's no way of proving what happened on the raft, what's wrong with going with the kinder 'truth'?

The 'true truth' of the cat box, with Rudolf and Kyrie systematically murdering everyone on the island, is a cruel truth. And we get a lot of the idea that the truth is 'cruel' too: Erika's red truth is cruel, Bernkastel shattering Natsuhi's illusion of drinking tea with Beatrice with the red truth is 'cruel', and so on. Maybe Umineko is asking: what's wrong with writing the happiest possible truth on the cat box? Everyone involved is dead. Just like how it's happier for Pi and for the policement to write the truth of his raft as him surviving with Richard Parker the tiger, it's happier to paint the story of the island as one of witches and magic.

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 13, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
(Ep 8, no Akarshi) Wow that's an interesting attitude to start off ep 8 with.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Honestly, (seriously full umineko spoilers) are there any good theory-posts on Ange and how she 'actually' intersects with the forgeries and the catbox? My current understanding of the Ange of episodes 3/4 is that she's the 'vision' of Ange Tohya sees after she 'dies' in 1998 and he reconstructs what her life was like and what her ultimate fate may have been. But that feels like kind of a weak read given that very private scenes (like Ange summoning the Seven Sisters of Purgatory in the hotel room) are presented and also that would mean Tohya assumed Ange would take Mammon as her furniture girlfriend and honestly that's a bold move.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Scrree posted:

Honestly, (seriously full umineko spoilers) are there any good theory-posts on Ange and how she 'actually' intersects with the forgeries and the catbox? My current understanding of the Ange of episodes 3/4 is that she's the 'vision' of Ange Tohya sees after she 'dies' in 1998 and he reconstructs what her life was like and what her ultimate fate may have been. But that feels like kind of a weak read given that very private scenes (like Ange summoning the Seven Sisters of Purgatory in the hotel room) are presented and also that would mean Tohya assumed Ange would take Mammon as her furniture girlfriend and honestly that's a bold move.
Does Ange show up in forgeries? As I understood it forgeries only concerned Rokkenjima.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Played the Umineko Ep 7 ???.
Looks like Ange is back, and so is Battler. He promises a story that is not sad and scary, but doesn't promise her one that's 'happy'. Bernkastel declares in red that her game will not have a happy ending. But is her game on a 'higher meta-level' than Battler and Ange's game, or is Battler's game competing with Bernkastel's? If it's the latter, and if Battler wants to tell a story that isn't sad and scary...what does that mean?

I guess it all comes back to Ange wanting to find closure, and figuring out what she wants to accept as the 'truth'. As Bernkastel reminded Ange, one of Ange's goals in her quest is to find out the 'truth' behind what happened on Rokkenjima. And the plain, simple, unadorned truth is ugly. Ange is an orphaned girl living an unfortunate life, who found out that her parents committed a mass murder. The reason, money, is unsatisfactory. Ange cannot get closure from this. Maybe the only thing that can bring Ange a sense of peace and happiness is 'magic'.

Ange had a good conversation with Hachijo Touji, and liked reading her stories. As stated in the text, Touji's stories had the same 'love' as the original message bottles, and a part of Ange found 'truth' in Touji's written words. We know that Touji's stories and the message bottle stories are fiction--'magic'.

Each one of the message bottles develops the emotional world of the Ushiromiyas. Natsuhi stands up for herself and tries to protect everyone in Episode 1. Rosa has a breakthrough and apologizes to Maria in Episode 2. We get a deeper look at Eva's past and see how Eva struggles against her 'dark side' in Episode 3. In Episode 4, you see George and Jessica fight for love, as well as Krauss getting a chance to look cool in his fight against the goat. And so on. Perhaps none of the above truly 'happened', but they are kinder to the characters than the cold truth of Kyrie and Rudolf methodically killing everyone over money.

Likewise, Yasu-as-Clair had their own desire to tell the tale of their story in their own way, with touches of 'magic' like Shannon being presented as a real person, Gaap's various scenes, and Yasu never quite crossing the line to say the reality that Gaap, Shannon, Kanon, etc are tulpas inside their mind. Clair's story was still not the 'cold, hard, truth'. What Bernkastel refers to as 'ripping out the guts' happens in the Tea Party, in that series of red flashes of all the suffering that Clair wanted to hide. The guts are unpleasant and not necessary to understand Yasu. Exposing them is basically a humiliation.

Yeah really curious about Episode 8. It feels like it's shaping up to be something very meta, now that the main mystery has wrapped up. And it looks like it's going to focus on Ange, which makes me think that maybe all in all this is a story of a traumatized orphan trying to find closure for what happened to her family.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Midway through Umineko Ep 8.

Okay yeah looks like this episode is all about Ange. Judging from the flow of things it looks like yeah Ange is going to have to make a choice between whether to keep this endless cat box, or to settle on a single Truth...

Or rather, maybe I'll have to choose, because there's a ton of interactivity thus far with the riddles and everything. I gotta say, I got got by the candle one and the Rosa ingot explosion one lol.

Bernkastel's puzzle was really fun too. I really liked that challenge that Ryukishi issued lol, definitely got my head in the game. Tackled that one by looking at the Purple Truth compendium and going through the twilights backwards, clearing people who are declared by multiple people as dead (as culprits can only work with other culprits). For example, George, Maria, and Battler pretty much all say at the point of Jessica's death that Jessica is dead, so I treated her as truly dead and thus always telling the truth. Nanjo's death was confirmed both by white narration (always true) and Jessica (who is not a culprit and thus always telling the truth). Nanjo's confirmation led to Gohda, Kumasawa, Shannon, Natsuhi, and Krauss's confirmed deaths. Once I got some confirmed bodies, knowing that the culprits cannot die and that only culprits have the ability to lie, I started figuring it out.

One of the things I zoned in on was, at the point of Nanjo's death, how Battler's purple statement contradicted Jessica's purple statement that everyone in the guesthouse has an alibi, meaning that one of the two were lying. (Per Battler: "No one has an alibi!" Per Jessica: "We all have alibis!"). As I was treating Jessica as confirmed, Battler must have been lying. Another key phrase was that the culprit of the first twilight killed six bodies. This red text was stated after Natsuhi and Krauss died. That means that there must have been two people who were secretly alive in the dining hall. As children confirmed their parent's bodies, the fake bodies must have been a family unit of three: either George/Eva/Hideyoshi, or Kyrie/Rudolf/Battler. Since Battler contradicted Jessica's purple text (and also contradicted at least one other person IIRC, and stated the rather fishy 'nothing suspicious was found in the dining hall' when we know that there are two fake bodies which is certainly suspicious), the culprits must have been Battler, Kyrie, and Rudolf.

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 19, 2023

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I started 7 last night. Read for about an hour, then had to put it down.

Pretty bogus how Battler and Beatrice got one scene together being happy at the end of 6 and are immediately written out of the story. Understanding people is very important for store brand Seto Kaiba, except when he's talking to people at a funeral, apparently. Him and Lion have one gimmick, and it's already been run into the ground.

I find it really funny that the irl Wright specifically called out comparing cigarette butts as an unoriginal plot device in his write-up that Ryukishi is referencing.

I wanted murders, not this poo poo. We'll see if it picks up in Kinzo's flashback.

End spoilers bc I was spoiled before starting my read:
Regarding Will's red text: Umineko hinges on the one gimmick that Sayo has like five names she goes by, but they aren't interchangeable for whatever reason. Feels like a cop out.

E: Read more. Ok, young Kinzo talking to Will was pretty good. The flashback to Bice's introduction was flat. Same problem as Ange's highschool scene: a bunch of faceless one dimensional characters getting pissy about something that doesn't matter.

So Math fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 24, 2023

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Umineko ep8: ANGE Beatrice’s final Golden Witch outfit loving owns

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the parts of episode 8 that aren't really sad are really fantastic and fun so far. i could watch everyone fight with closed room mysteries for hours.

has there been any news of the umineko board game that was announced a while back?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Ep7 thoughts.

Kinzo became exactly the kind of postwar opportunist that Bice was trying to protect the gold from. Nanjo has been a feckless toady from day one. Genji, Kumasawa... :wtc:

I know that a major theme of the work is to empathize with flawed people and see them as they see themselves. It falls flat for me because there is never an action so heinous that it dispels the rosy narrative. Nanjo needs to assure us that Kinzo felt bad about raping his daughter. Then Genji makes the call that he needs to hide Yasu lest Kinzo do it again. This amount of empathy just makes you a chump.

All the older cousins are scared of Lion because of his favorite grandchild status. Lion has as much trouble with appropriate physical behavior as Battler does, and it's always directed towards someone Lion has power over. (They threaten Bernkastel, but don't follow through.) I think this is intended to be funny?

We find out that Shannon originated as Yasu's imaginary friend. She would not have been high school age in '76, and she's sharing the room that the other girls say Yasu has alone. It's a big tell that Clair's story is back in the Rashomon narrative that was used all over the place in 2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

:chloe: