Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Umineko is poorly written and incompetently localized, and one of the most important works of fiction of the modern age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

A friend made this for that undoubtedly very sizeable crossover Tails Gets Trolled/Umineko fan demographic. Spoilers for Umineko game 5, Tails Gets Trolled chapter 25 page 50:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Colorspray posted:

What exactly is this referencing and how does it fit with Umineko? It's like a bad loss.jpg, except now I regret trying to understand what Tails Gets Trolled is.

Is this just the internet imploding on itself?....

How does one When They Cry their search history? Asking for a friend

please don't try to understand

Gaius Marius posted:

Umineko fans should check out "Last Year at Marienbad". Very similar vibes.

Not sure what I expected googling this, but it wasn't a French-Italian film from 1961. Will check it out.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Nyoro posted:

Umineko is actually the greatest thing ever written, I'm actually surprised I got to see the peak of human storytelling in my lifetime

EDIT: Speaking of the relative popularity of the properties -- it is funny that Umineko is, in-universe, explicitly positioned as the kind of expandable mystery platform that Higurashi evolved into, but never really took off in that direction in real life.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 28, 2022

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

To reward Rockman's entertaining theoryposting by being tremendously unhelpful: without love, it cannot be seen. If the game were to give you all the pieces you need in one decisive moment, would you be too busy questioning the premise to see the implications through to the end?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Play-Asia used to be legit, probably still is.

The latest console release is of Umineko Saku, which should include effectively all previously released side content in VN form.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Hell yeah!

Nyoro posted:

Episode 1 owns!

Hell yeah!

Cyouni posted:

The stageplay adapts episode 1, and does it in a way that I honestly consider the stageplay the best way to get people into Umineko.

(That's why I started up a translation group for it.)

Hell yeah! (Haven't dealt with subtitles in nearly a decade but if there's anything I can do to help make this happen—DMs are open, as they say.)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Rockman Reserve, I love you as a poster and a goon, but for your own sake please consider getting ready for ep7 sooner rather than later

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

So Math posted:

This would come off as patronizing to me. Most of the things I'm spoiled on I got from the fan wiki, and I'm not going to take you seriously when I can just go reread the wiki to double check (and probably spoil myself on more stuff accidentally). So in the end, I'll just decide that I'm remembering correctly and keep reading under false assumptions.

If I'm that badly thrown off about it, just point out what my false impression is and tell me that it isn't true. The problem isn't information itself, the problem is the feeling of certainty.

Deliberately re-reading spoilers should someone dare to imply you may have been misinformed seems like a very specific you problem, to be honest.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

2. The mechanics of the Beatrice/Shannon/Kanon trinity. Is Yasu just constantly spiderman-changing in and out of their Shannon and Kanon costumes? Does the family know? What do George and Jessica think? There's even scenes where both are in the same room with other people including Battler so wtf???

This is where everything we see being fiction is critical. IIRC early on it's pointed out that Shannon and Kanon being scheduled for Island Work at the same time is unusual. Maintaining both personas at the same time is theoretically possible and thus permissible in a story, but would not have worked out—nor probably even been attempted—IRL. Only the narration (i.e. Beatrice) and compromised characters ever acknowledge Shannon and Kanon being in the same room at the same time.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

Not sure how I should feel about/treat the [e7/e8] reveal that Kyrie is Battler's mom. First of all, what the tremendous gently caress Rudolf? Second of all, I have no idea why that makes Rudolf think he'll be murdered. I mean, yeah, Battler and Kyrie would be justified being absolutely madder than hell about it, but unless there's some kind of unspoken "We Need To Talk About Kevin" poo poo going on with him I don't think that at all justifies Rudolf being apparently really concerned he's going to die. Third, we know that this game is an illusion/lesson - while it's kind of explicitly stated in Episode 7, I don't really get how Beatrice could have figured it out/used it as a plot point in her earlier games.

Anyway I've gotta be closing in on the finish line, here....

I really can't think of a faster way for someone to get executed than to say "sorry I swapped babies to not rock the boat with my wife, yours wasn't a stillbirth after all lmao" to Kyrie. You've read ep7.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah, it was a conversational exaggeration placed there for readers to get hung up on only because we know we're reading a murder mystery.

But also Kyrie absolutely would murder him.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Probably my only minor gripe with Umineko is that it can occasionally be a bit too mean with misdirection (and generally trying to manipulate the reader by deliberately making stuff seem important that isn't). That's the main reason I didn't figure a lot of stuff out on my first playthrough; I spent almost all of episodes 1-5 going down unproductive tangents of speculation.

That's valid criticism, but I can't really fault the author for it. He had to keep a mystery going for six games, that so many hints even tangent the core mystery or at least are informative re: characterization is very impressive.

Especially considering there's really only one leap of logic the reader has to make (and it can sort-of reasonably be made as early as the ep1 tea party) for it all to come apart.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Akarshi posted:

Still on Umineko ep 7

And the very first thing you do after seeing your old time crush is try to jokingly grope her breasts? Come on, man. I feel awful on Shannon's side, because she clearly built up and pinned all of her hopes on this false image of Battler, and when they finally reunite, far from taking her away on a white horse, he immediately tried to grab her breasts...

But have you considered that had he "succeeded," everyone (well, a majority anyway) might have lived happily (for a given value of happiness) ever after?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Akarshi posted:

Er, wait I'm dense. Why would that be the case?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but (ep7) Shannon is padded the hell up. Consider that Yasuda wanted to be found out and Shannon makes no attempt to shield herself. Had her boob-ruse been uncovered, it's likely the murder plot would have been abandoned right then and there. This is echoed again in episode 2, where Jessica laments Shannon and George not sharing a room on their trip to the aquarium—had they done so, all would have come undone well before the family conference of 1986. Umineko is full of near-misses like that, and it rules.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Full game, don't read Akarshi
Akarshi hasn't finished the game yet and I don't think has picked up on everything involving Yasu/Shannon yet (though they're generally way closer than most people get by that point), so this is kind of spoiler territory for them (though they apparently just interpreted your post as implying Yasu/Shannon were flat-chested).

You might be right. It's all there, but maybe the game itself doesn't fully contextualize much of it until a bit later. A regrettable post.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

ymgve posted:

Umineko 5th episode: Not sure it's just something that's been misinterpreted by the game creator/translator or a clue, but the game says Knox's 3rd rule is that no hidden passages can exist in red, while the actual real-life Knox's rules said that at most one hidden room or passage can exist

Also this meta-not-meta section is stupid and confusing. And the bunnies are back.

Though I guess:

As I recall, any modifications to Knox's decalogue are deliberate decisions by the author, made to simplify application of the rules within the context of the "game board." You can trust the red, can't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

ymgve posted:

Umineko ep6: I'm not totally finished with the episode yet, but why did Erika have the authority to say the guest room seals were unbroken? Wouldn't the decision whether they were broken or not be entirely the privilege of the game master, Battler, which was what the whole previous part had been about?

She got the duct tape back, didn't she? Which gives her limited but perfect knowledge of the seals. IIRC Battler could break them and thus let her know with zero ambiguity that they're broken, but he's not willing to do so. For reasons.