Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

5) The fact that Krauss had the gold bar (supposedly - I mean obviously we can't take anything in this episode at face value, particularly conversations Battler wasn't privy to) and still has been unable to solve the epitaph is really interesting. Presumably, he had to at least be trying.

6) Why did Rudolf think he was going to die that night? What tipped him off? Were he and Kyrie only chosen for the initial six because he knew something was up? Everyone else chosen seems to have been a huge jerk to Shannon in particular, with the exception of Rosa who is just a loving monster to Maria (who Shannon obviously seems to really pity....either that, or as an impressionable child she's too useful to ignore. See #8 ). Was Kyrie chosen just because Natsuhi was charmed, or because she's clearly the shrewdest person at the conference? Hell, I've gotta keep reading, I don't even remember if the initial 6 are actually confirmed dead right away.

8) Maria is shown to have some issues reading and stuff when she's down at the beach with Shannon and the cousins, but is able to read the letter from "Beatrice" without any issue. Could she have been coached or something? She's so impressionable that she might have been coached on how to read the letter and told she's the witch's messenger with the assurance that Beatrice would be able to bring everyone back to life like the epitaph says.

9) My biggest issue with my running theories so far is that when Shannon's body is found, half her face is destroyed. The characters get all hung up on what could have been used to do that, but it was in a garden house or shed or something iirc (I haven't gotten back to that point yet, but I remember it pretty vividly as the point where Stuff Starts Getting Real). But I don't think that's the issue at all, I think the real problem is that Shannon is the clearest suspect, and "her" corpse being found is meant to throw everyone off her trail. But so much of this VN seems to be a riff on the Tokyo Zodiac Murders, and while I still haven't gotten around to finishing that either (sigh...), I thought it was pretty obvious (spoiling this in a separate block to not ruin that book for anyone who hasn't read it and wants to) that the murderer was the woman supposedly used as a sacrifice for Azoth's head....it's pretty hard to identify a body, especially in those days, without a head attached to it. So how do we have a corpse that is identifiable as Shannon with at least half of her face still left show up?

I will preface this by saying that I have also only read up to episode 6 other than some random unimportant scenes and don't know any of the solutions to the mysteries.

5) While I doubt Krauss is as stupid as Lambdadelta made him when she's the Game Master, I do think he is definitely much less intelligent than basically every other adult on the island. But the whole scene is pretty suspect considering the Kinzo revelation and how in cahoots he and his wife actually are.

6) I think that Kyrie and Rudolf were helping the murderers in the first episode. There is a term that comes up a lot about 'Kinzo's Roulette' being what decides who is killed. My personal theory is that what this really refers to is that the murders are decided by which of the family members the murderers can persuade to ally with them and carry out the murders. Based on the circumstances the murderers then enact one of several plans to carry out the murders before betraying the ones that allied with them. So Rudolf said that to sell the idea that he'd be killed having been recruited to help the murderer previously. If I'm right, the only ones actually killed are Krauss, Gohda and Rosa with Shannon, Kyrie and Rudolf then carrying out the remaining murders.

8) Maria seems to have a learning disability or at least she is a sort of idiot savant. When she is interested in something she is remarkably sharp and knowledgeable. When she isn't she barely pays attention. IIRC she can also read Latin which is insane for a kid her age.

9) IIRC again, only certain people approach and verify the identities and condition of the corpses. I think Eva actually points out that the injuries could have been faked since no-one could really see them clearly except Nanjo.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

It's been a long and exhausting day so maybe I'm just loving up my math somehow but in episode 6, when Kyrie is talking to Jessica, why does she keep mentioning her hell lasting 18 years? Didn't Asumu die six years ago, when Battler was like twelve or thirteen?

She's referring to her child dying 18 years ago. Remember that she and Asumu got pregnant at basically the same time and gave birth at the same time but her child died while Asumu's lived. She feels like it's the reason Rudolf chose Asumu over her. Every time she see's Battler she's reminded about it as well.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 26, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

Yeah, but she said it ended after 18 years and tied it to the death of Asumu, and goes so far as to say she was planning to murder Asumu if she didn't luck out and die. Then she got together with Rudolf pretty much immediately and Battler left.

Presumably Rudolf was two-timing her and Asumu for 6 years then and that's what she's referring to. IIRC there was a period where Rudolf was sleeping with a lot of women but Kyrie believed she was his number one girl until Asumu and her got pregnant at the same time and he chose Asumu because her baby lived. Her hell was not being able to have him exclusively.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I just want to say that this thread is great and I love reading all these theories. I assure you guys if no one responds to them it's just because even vague responses can be leading.

Also yeah, Rena is pretty great in Ep 2. She's so much smarter than Keiichi.