Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gato posted:

If I'm right I'm going to smash that Truth button, Beatrice is going to tell me off for not believing in magic, and the catbox will remain closed forever. But god knows I've been wrong before, so here's hoping.

Of course you can reject both sides, because there's no reason to believe the red truth to begin with. The box can't be opened because the box never existed. Reject the false dilemma..

The final truth is that Umineko is actually a medical mystery, and neither the fantasy theory about witches, nor the anonymous witch hunt conspiracy theories posted to SeagullChan forums (about secret tunnels leading to incest rape mansions, or prominent political and business figures being secretly dead, or doctors faking death certificates, or how child victims of tragedy had fake birth certificates and never actually really existed, etc) are true

You see, it turns out there is a a very real poison that has a sickly sweet smell, which the family was provably exposed to onscreen, which in high doses causes numerous mental problems (including aggressive outbursts and psychotic behavior), as well as visions of hallucinatory butterflies.

I am referring, of course, to leaded gasoline - used in, among other things, high performance boat engines and propeller-driven planes, both of which are present in the the first chapter. Known to be toxic from its inception, oil and automotive companies (starting with General Motors and EXXON) deliberately concealed the dangers of this chemical - despite their ethyl lead factory becoming known as the "house of butterflies" because of all the hallucinatory butterflies the heavily-poisoned workers kept seeing. Midgley - credited as the inventor - drank some to 'prove' its safety, then immediately vanished from the public eye for a months of chelation treatment to get the lead back out.

In short cause of death: heavy metals present on Rokkenjima.

It's fair play because it's a real, documented poison with very specific symptoms which are present, and we are shown the method of exposure right at the beginning of the story.

or on a thematic level

Of course, lead is just the means, and even Midgley was just a cog. The true murderer - the one that not only killed everyone on the island, but is actively killing everyone on the planet - isn't a shadowy cabal that has to be pieced together on an imageboard based on a series of cryptic and contradictory anonymous messages. Nor is it a supernatural force that can be fought with rituals and spells - they are only a distracting diversion. The real murderer is corporations and - more broadly - capitalism. A killer present in a locked room. A killer both a person and not a person. A killer who can strangle you with invisible hands. The lust for wealth - the constant pursuit of gold and money - is a curse.

In short: capitalism is the Golden Witch.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU