Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/czerwonyrower/status/1530952441231028224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

Also, jeez, it's interesting looking back at Umineko 1 (spoilers for up to 6) and realizing how often the narrative explicitly lies to you right from the start. Suuuuuure, Kinzo is screaming into the typhoon, right. Where the gently caress is my red text at.
Hey nobody ever said when that scene was supposed to be happening.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I maintain it was more of a community ARG than anything an individual reader was likely to solve.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah there's a couple of arcade routes that have full spoilers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wouldn't hesitate to play the last two episodes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

I suppose that makes sense. But do George and Jessica actually know? And they're cool with it?

One of the theories we had was that at one point they actually were two separate people, but one died and the other took on their persona out of grief or something. But it sounds like the right answer is that they are definitely the same person.

They don't. George has probably only met Kanon a couple of times since he only visits the island rarely, so that one isn't hard to explain. Jessica interacts with both a lot and definitely should know, but is blinded by her friendship with Shannon/love for Kanon and therefore can't even imagine they'd be pulling this insane trick on her. Think of the scene in episode 7 where she gets pranked and refuses to believe the servants did it to her even though that's the only possible explanation.

Maria of course recognises people by voice and personality (see: 'bad mama'). Yasu changes between Beatrice, Shannon and Kanon right in front of her and she still acknowledges them as different people.

I'd note that a few people comment on the resemblance and assume they're brother/sister, even though Kanon and Shannon are always vague about whether they're actually blood related.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ending: Yeah what we see in the ep7 tea party is presumably the contents of Eva's diary that Ange reads, or at least consistent with it. It's difficult to explain why she'd say nothing in public and then lie privately.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I love the reception desk scene. It's so good

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's more explicit answers out there, but once you've finished ep8 I'd suggest rereading episode 2. If you read it in the right way it explains the motive shockingly directly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

drat it I just reread that one but I split it up with rereading 5 and 6 sooo I'm having trouble with keeping my thoughts straight, can you point to a general scene or two I should consider in a different light or should I finish out 8 first? I mean I'm guessing it's something with the aquarium and/or proposal scenes, or maybe the Kanon/Shannon/Beatrice showdown where Beatrice goes off all angrily about how love is physical...?
Yeah mostly any scene where Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice are talking to each other, remember those are all internal monologues.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The core twist of it being way simpler than advertised is very similar imo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

Yeah but the first hint is all “well who can you rule out as a culprit because they’re telling the truth”, which is like…. nobody if the culprit isn’t required to lie. It’s throwing me off bad.
There is something culprits are not allowed to do. If you find someone who has definitely done that thing you can rule them out as a suspect and therefore treat all their purple text as truth.

e: also bear in mind that non-purple text from the narrator is guaranteed to be true.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 12, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

LordMune posted:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but (ep7) Shannon is padded the hell up. Consider that Yasuda wanted to be found out and Shannon makes no attempt to shield herself. Had her boob-ruse been uncovered, it's likely the murder plot would have been abandoned right then and there. This is echoed again in episode 2, where Jessica laments Shannon and George not sharing a room on their trip to the aquarium—had they done so, all would have come undone well before the family conference of 1986. Umineko is full of near-misses like that, and it rules.
"There is one way to kill me. You can grasp it with your own hands."

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 13, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ultimately Umineko is entirely Sayo's story, and there are parts of it they will never say directly. A lot of the more sensitive issues are wrapped up in metaphors in the first two episodes that you'll never understand the first time reading.

I definitely think "Sayo" is the true name incidentally, just because it lines up so well with Knox's First.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also full spoilers

Very funny how Erika manages to step on this exact rake 3 times in a row at the end of episode 6

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Also Lambda is the referee. You can think of Erika's actions as Bern writing secret orders and giving them to Lambda to resolve.
Yeah I believe Lambda is referred to as an "observer" in previous games. Beatrice was always obliged to have a "human explanation" that she shared with Lambda, it's just we never saw her run into trouble with it because Battler never took any hidden actions with the intent of ruining her story.

No Wave posted:

I think the game master is responsible for manipulating every actor except the detective. So if the seals were unbroken it demonstrates that the game master didn't run their game correctly - he can't retroactively change what the detective has witnessed. Similarly Erika did actually cut everyone's head off during the game and Battler can't change that.
She already secretly placed seals in the previous game right? Only difference in 6 is that she's no longer a detective so she's now allowed to kill people and generally actively deceive the general narrative as any character might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

(Whole series spoilers) The initial pitch to accomplices (other than Genji) is a fake murder mystery game. Depending on the episode the accomplices can realize earlier or later that they were tricked, but the threat of the bomb and the general difficulty of explaining the situation to the others means its hard for any accomplice to fully turn on the killer.

The mystery is usually insanely obvious on a reread. For example Gohda and Kumasawa are both acting poorly in episode 2 after supposedly seeing Kanon and require prompting from Sayo and Genji to remember what their lines were supposed to be.