Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
(Umineko ep3 stuff, plausible speculation for future episodes?)

Arc Impulse posted:

There may also be some extra confusion from how the Red Truths are being phrased in regards to the definition of "human" perhaps not including those deemed as "furniture" by the witches too

from way back at the start of the thread but how the gently caress have I missed this so far. there was like half an episode about how furniture is not human and I still assumed the servants counted as human for the purpose of the number of people on the island

ymgve fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Umineko 5th episode: Not sure it's just something that's been misinterpreted by the game creator/translator or a clue, but the game says Knox's 3rd rule is that no hidden passages can exist in red, while the actual real-life Knox's rules said that at most one hidden room or passage can exist

Also this meta-not-meta section is stupid and confusing. And the bunnies are back.

Though I guess:

ymgve fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 20, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Umineko ep6: I'm not totally finished with the episode yet, but why did Erika have the authority to say the guest room seals were unbroken? Wouldn't the decision whether they were broken or not be entirely the privilege of the game master, Battler, which was what the whole previous part had been about?

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 23, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

LordMune posted:

She got the duct tape back, didn't she? Which gives her limited but perfect knowledge of the seals. IIRC Battler could break them and thus let her know with zero ambiguity that they're broken, but he's not willing to do so. For reasons.

But Battler wasn’t the one that announced in red that the guest house seals were unbroken. He didn’t get to decide.

That whole part was bad and contrived to reach certain plot points. Erika should have been thrown out of the game for claiming she cut the heads off everyone retroactively without ever having announced it in the first place. When that was allowed, any kind of logic went out the window. And anyway, in no game before this was it the witch’s side’s job to explain the mystery. It’s not a logic error to say something was done by a witch, which is what has happened for all previous games.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Cyouni posted:

He was. That was the whole point. You can see it here and in the previous update.

That is about the main house room seals, though? I’m talking about the guest house rooms seals

edit: This is the exact moment I'm talking about : https://lparchive.org/Umineko-no-Naku-Koro-ni-Chiru/Update%2064/56-1718.png from https://lparchive.org/Umineko-no-Naku-Koro-ni-Chiru/Update%2064/

ymgve fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 24, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
small Umineko ep8 spoiler gently caress you Maria and your sheep puzzle. I even wrote a program to find the optimal solution and then it was all a trick question!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Finished Ep8 now. Well that was both satisfying and also deeply unsatisfying. I constantly waited for the "mystery" explanation of the first games to show up, a thing that never came. It always stayed in the realm of fantasy with no detective coming out and explaining the mundane who, how and why. I guess that's kinda the theme of the story, but I wanted more of that deduction subgame in episode 8 where you actually had everything laid out and all the puzzle pieces fit together.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Read a bit of the "solutions" and I think it's a bit dumb that (full spoilers) Shannon and Kanon are supposed to be a single person. You can not hide Shannon's bonkhonagahoogs with just some binding to get to Kanon's shape.

edit: VVVV well gently caress I guess that means George is the "wait until after marriage" type

ymgve fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 30, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Having read some solutions/theories to the games now I think I'll stick with it was done by magic after all. The mundane solutions all rely on way too many people being down with indiscriminate murder, especially once they realize the murders follow the epitaph and they are gonna end up dead too.

Also I suck at mysteries since I realized it's been less than a few weeks since I saw a Poirot episode where a fictious servant is just another character in disguise, and I still didn't realize the Shannon/Kanon trick until I read fan explanations post episode 8

ymgve fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Yeah, I just read Confessions of the Golden Witch. It does explain things pretty well. I still don't think threats would be enough to keep family members and servants other than Genji under control once the bodies start to drop, but of course these are all most likely "what if" scenarios that never happened. I also assume the ep7 theatre solution didn't happen, and the truth is extremely banal. (Like, Eva solved the riddle on her own, didn't trust that Beatrice had disabled the bomb, flipped it back on, then once there were minutes left she panicked about whether she did the right choice and ran to the other side of the island, without time to warn the others. Instant survivor's guilt and self-blame.)