Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It is May, and contrary to our hopes and dreams, events continue currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Its March 783rd 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mayhaps

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

picking up from the last thread, just lmao if you don't know american folk music from deep cut czech cold war covers of it

https://youtu.be/cSNo4GDXrws

https://youtu.be/ZlTNiE8AZ_k

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 1, 2022

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Next you guys are gonna start in on about the dio cover of holy diver by killswitch engage

Stravag fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 1, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://youtu.be/EqiyhCr-ZlY

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Haven't seen the newest vid but can confirm that the new Rammstein album owns

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
april showers bring may flowers

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Not Czech but this cover of the The Doors - People Are Strange really kicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4YQJ6KuWvQ

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CommieGIR posted:

Not Czech but this cover of the The Doors - People Are Strange really kicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4YQJ6KuWvQ

New “O Brother Where Art Thou?” looks like they went Weird West.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hell yeah just got my third shot so now I have the trifecta!
Also I caught covid in January but it was about as annoying as a cold for me.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My girlfriend just tested positive on two at home tests, and I have an ever so faint positive line on mine. drat, I was hoping to escape unscathed. Was looking at getting my 2nd booster soon, too.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/1520869269382254597?s=20&t=n_VB5z3Tyff8p6N7kvlt3A

They are really going to go with the options that make the most people mad while providing less than total debt relief. It doesn't matter if they decide to the 10K or $Texas, they will have the same people pissed off. It just matters if they bargain themselves down before anything happens to the means-testing classics they lean on and always get hosed by. Then the big-brained D consultants wonder why they can't fire up the youth base

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wouldn’t hire earners have payed off 10k in loans already since the interest rate would be detrimental to just paying it off investing it? This seems like a question for a problem that doesn’t exist.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
loving brilliant

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
i saw a real life post on Linkedin of some dude posting he was the CIA's first CTO.

Thank I checked the date for the post

Than I checked today's date.

I re-read the post to make sure I didn't miss anything.

The CIA didn't have a CTO till the year of our lord two thousand and twenty two lmfao and than we just confirmed it to the world. I hope there was some tin pot intelligence service who had that as an open question since like the 80's or 90's at the least.

Im hoping this is largely like due to paperwork or beurocracy and this is just a consolidation of things and not like lol we should start looking at having a cohesive technology strategy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Crab Dad posted:

Hell yeah just got my third shot so now I have the trifecta!
Also I caught covid in January but it was about as annoying as a cold for me.

I'm in a weird position where I kindasorta have to cheer for covid, but not really. I need to get nerves cut out (hit the reverse-jackpot from the vasectomy), but the hospitals are still working through the COVID backlog. Most doctors only get access to the operating rooms one day a week, so my surgeon is booked solid until early July.

So, I sorta have to hope for COVID to hit some of the other patients before me while missing the surgeon and I can slide in on short notice. Or, I can hope the hospitals finally loosen up (unlikely due to staff shortages) and more surgery times open up. My booster's going to hit the 6-month mark on the 12th, so still awaiting word on what us Youngs need to still do.

https://twitter.com/MarkHamill/status/1520832298920280064

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sorry about your balls, fi.

In tv news, that 70s show is being rebooted by Netflix into that 90s show, everyone but Danny Masterson is back, including Red and Kitty.

It will follow Donna and Eric's daughter, Leia.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Sorry about your balls, fi.

In tv news, that 70s show is being rebooted by Netflix into that 90s show, everyone but Danny Masterson is back, including Red and Kitty.

It will follow Donna and Eric's daughter, Leia.

Why not Danny…I’m kidding.

My COVID has been not a mild cold, although it is now. I’m just happy I got boosted with the full dose. I’m pretty sure without it, I’d be dead or in a hospital right now.

My kids luckily got the full vaccine doses and have a mild case, but we all still had really high fevers at times, granted Advil and Tylenol took care of that.

Of course my wife is some sort of weirdo who just does not get it, we joke it’s because she was originally Johnson & Johnson and got the Pfizer ones and booster.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Marshal Prolapse posted:

My COVID has been not a mild cold, although it is now. I’m just happy I got boosted with the full dose. I’m pretty sure without it, I’d be dead or in a hospital right now.

My kids luckily got the full vaccine doses and have a mild case, but we all still had really high fevers at times, granted Advil and Tylenol took care of that.

Of course my wife is some sort of weirdo who just does not get it, we joke it’s because she was originally Johnson & Johnson and got the Pfizer ones and booster.

I had one J&J, Moderna and now Pfizer. Gonna pass on J&J in the future.

Also… I would probally watch that 90’s show. Hrm.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Last week, I got my first cold in four years. Out of an abundance of caution, I got two PCR and one rapid test, all of which were negative. I’ve since made a full recovery but I was significantly knocked on my rear end for two days.

On Friday, my wife tested positive on a rapid and has developed a sore throat and significant fatigue. Her chief complaint is annoyance at her weekend being totally hosed up.

I wonder if I had COVID last week and just never tested positive- it’s certainly not impossible. I really hope that’s what’s happened otherwise I can look forward to a dance with Miss Rona within the next few days.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Waroduce posted:

i saw a real life post on Linkedin of some dude posting he was the CIA's first CTO.

Thank I checked the date for the post

Than I checked today's date.

I re-read the post to make sure I didn't miss anything.

The CIA didn't have a CTO till the year of our lord two thousand and twenty two lmfao and than we just confirmed it to the world. I hope there was some tin pot intelligence service who had that as an open question since like the 80's or 90's at the least.

Im hoping this is largely like due to paperwork or beurocracy and this is just a consolidation of things and not like lol we should start looking at having a cohesive technology strategy.

They’re in the Humint business and had a science and technology chief that basically filled that position for the last 70 years. Their unique tech needs are relatively niche and depended on other members of the IC to really dedicate to R&D.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I had a few days in March where I just felt like utter poo poo. Negative on my home tests so who knows, probably just my dumpster level diet at work.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Last week, I got my first cold in four years. Out of an abundance of caution, I got two PCR and one rapid test, all of which were negative. I’ve since made a full recovery but I was significantly knocked on my rear end for two days.

On Friday, my wife tested positive on a rapid and has developed a sore throat and significant fatigue. Her chief complaint is annoyance at her weekend being totally hosed up.

I wonder if I had COVID last week and just never tested positive- it’s certainly not impossible. I really hope that’s what’s happened otherwise I can look forward to a dance with Miss Rona within the next few days.

Very possible. When my son tested positive, my wife and I both tested negative, and also the next day when my daughter got it. I then tested positive the next day.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

They’re in the Humint business and had a science and technology chief that basically filled that position for the last 70 years. Their unique tech needs are relatively niche and depended on other members of the IC to really dedicate to R&D.

I thought the NSA was the tech spying agency?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

Doesn't it share that with the NRO? I mean the NRO wasn't even publicly declared as existing till after the Cold War iirc.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Independent of mission any organization that large needs a CTO, or at least someone at the C level who can handle IT poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Doesn't it share that with the NRO? I mean the NRO wasn't even publicly declared as existing till after the Cold War iirc.

The NRO builds spy satellites to NSA's needs and specifications. So yes and no, in the sense that NRO builds and supports some of the tools that NSA uses, but they're not linked directly to NSA as the NRO is under the DoD umbrella.

Most people forget the NGA is a thing as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Crab Dad posted:

Wouldn’t hire earners have payed off 10k in loans already since the interest rate would be detrimental to just paying it off investing it? This seems like a question for a problem that doesn’t exist.

My loan's interest rate is lower than any debt I've had besides cars and my house...but new car loans and mortgages are getting pretty close right now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don't know how much attention you've been paying to interest rates lately, but mortgage rates are back above 5%. Fed is going to raise rates again next month another half or 3/4ths a percent in a halfassed attempt at reining in inflation.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
As someone who wanted to buy a house later this year (as soon as the old one sells I can start looking for real), I've been watching and weeping.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Nick Soapdish posted:

They are really going to go with the options that make the most people mad while providing less than total debt relief. It doesn't matter if they decide to the 10K or $Texas, they will have the same people pissed off. It just matters if they bargain themselves down before anything happens to the means-testing classics they lean on and always get hosed by. Then the big-brained D consultants wonder why they can't fire up the youth base

the means testing will continue until morale improves

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Godholio posted:

As someone who wanted to buy a house later this year (as soon as the old one sells I can start looking for real), I've been watching and weeping.

I closed the day before Election Day 2016 and had a 3.5% interest rate and now I feel like I’m never going to be able to leave my home between the overheated housing market, corporation cash buyers sparking insane bidding wars and increasing interest rates. It’s not a good feeling.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
at least you have a house! :haw:

our rent just went up $300 (20%) instead :smithicide:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Crab Dad posted:

My last girlfriend never bothered looking at her debt. She has like 6 different loans of varying rates and a mortgage payment due every month. She wouldn't even notice 10k in relief.

On the other hand, she makes ~$300k in a niche specialty with tenure so its not like she is struggling despite being paid on the low side.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Depends the need. Like I said, others in the IC handle a lot of R&D. There are some things that are HUMINT niche that CIA sources itself through its Science and Technology division. Although they have restructured and I forget what everything is called now since I’ve been out of the “real” force since 2018 and have been docking around grad school and West Point since then.

FrozenVent posted:

Independent of mission any organization that large needs a CTO, or at least someone at the C level who can handle IT poo poo.

That is what their Science and Technology division was for, and their division chief did, they just weren’t referred to as a CTO. The CTO thing is all just branding as far as I can tell, they’ve had the position is all but name since the 1947 when they stood up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

My last girlfriend never bothered looking at her debt. She has like 6 different loans of varying rates and a mortgage payment due every month. She wouldn't even notice 10k in relief.

On the other hand, she makes ~$300k in a niche specialty with tenure so its not like she is struggling despite being paid on the low side.

If she’s still holding any debt while making that much per year then I can see why she’s with you.

:classiclol:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Probably all the alleged rapes.

E- not sure proper phrasing- dude has numerous women who have claimed he sexually assaulted them, and it seems to follow the typical Scientology cover up with the LAPD for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

It's been a bit lost in the noise compared to the astronomical Omicron peak and 2nd 3rd 4th whatever round of 'Covid is Over' but it does looks like we're heading back on the upslope to another wave. Positive cases have tripled in the Northeast over the past 3 weeks and doubled in the Midwest and West. Still a full order of magnitude under the Omicron peak (+300 daily cases/100k people) but that's not exactly singing praises. edit - also by comparison, the Northeast is at about 1/3rd the prior 2020/2021 peak of ~75 daily cases/100k people.

I know a few folks already who've caught it a second time even with vaccination and they were knocked on their rear end for a week or two, the antivirals did seem to make a difference in finally clearing it up for them. The significant drop off in testing is going to make it difficult to track, I'm expecting a lot of folks taking time off for 'summer flus' and 'bad allergies'.

It's amazing to see just how low we managed to get in that brief summer window last year before Delta came along :smith:

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 2, 2022