Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Why is the South lagging so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Crab Dad posted:

If she’s still holding any debt while making that much per year then I can see why she’s with you.

:classiclol:

There was a disagreement about living in the city, thus last.

Its literally carrying a mortgage, deferment saved her >$30k in interest. She doesn't see the need to pay down any of her loans early, even the high interest ones. Her job security is rock solid and she can afford a second or third mortgage at city prices with that pay.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

A.o.D. posted:

Why is the South lagging so much?

I think this question could apply to most statistics.

The original variant also spread through the northeast first. Could be weather keeping people indoors. It could be international travel, among other things.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Sacrist65 posted:

I think this question could apply to most statistics.

Not teen pregnancy or infant mortality!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

There's a bunch of factors in play but in general the Northeast is above the average in reporting PCR test results, and of course at-home test results are reported in case numbers. It could be that people elsewhere aren't bothering to get PCRs since they're not coming down with symptoms, or they may just not feel the need to. Some states have also limited when and what test results they report out, although that's not limited to just the South.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Northeast is also pretty densely populated so when a new variant causes a surge, it’ll tend to show up there first.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The South didn't lead in previous waves when PCR tests weren't readily available, and weather has been mostly mild in the South this past winter. Now, if any of you had said "Southern states are under reporting for political reasons" I'd have probably bought that.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

A.o.D. posted:

The South didn't lead in previous waves when PCR tests weren't readily available, and weather has been mostly mild in the South this past winter. Now, if any of you had said "Southern states are under reporting for political reasons" I'd have probably bought that.
I can only speak to Georgia, but the state quietly did this earlier this month: https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-news/georgia-scales-back-on-reporting-of-covid-19-data/HPBH5YFG4NHGVPR3WFXNDFVAJE/

quote:

Georgia is joining a growing number of states scaling back on the daily public reports of COVID-19 cases. The move comes just as widely used home test kits have made it harder to follow rising cases and questions have been raised about the best way to track the spread of new variants.

Some public health officials say moving away from the regular reporting of new cases could leave Georgia in the dark about emerging outbreaks. A new subvariant of omicron, BA.2, is picking up steam in many states.

“My own feeling is that this is the very worst time to stop counting,” said Dr. Richard Rothenberg, Regents’ Professor in the School of Public Health at Georgia State University. “We are in a grace period at the moment, with a general decline around the country but a few places are seeing an increase from BA.2, and there’s a sense that that may signal another surge.”

The Georgia Department of Public Health announced late Wednesday it will only update daily case counts for the public once a week. An agency spokeswoman said the agency will continue to collect daily case counts. The change is they will only be updated once a week rather than five days a week and displayed on the public dashboard at dph.ga.gov. The last daily update will be posted Friday and new weekly updates will begin Wednesday. [...]
That's probably contributing to its jagged up and down swings lately too.

Also might be relevant that this a gubernatorial election year in Georgia and keeping COVID out of headlines works to the incumbent's advantage.

Here's a map of states by their reporting frequency: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/state-reporting-frequencies

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AtraMorS posted:

I can only speak to Georgia, but the state quietly did this earlier this month: https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-news/georgia-scales-back-on-reporting-of-covid-19-data/HPBH5YFG4NHGVPR3WFXNDFVAJE/

That's probably contributing to its jagged up and down swings lately too.

Also might be relevant that this a gubernatorial election year in Georgia and keeping COVID out of headlines works to the incumbent's advantage.

Here's a map of states by their reporting frequency: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/state-reporting-frequencies

....huh. I'm not sure what to make of that.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I closed the day before Election Day 2016 and had a 3.5% interest rate and now I feel like I’m never going to be able to leave my home between the overheated housing market, corporation cash buyers sparking insane bidding wars and increasing interest rates. It’s not a good feeling.

I am in a similar situation. Our home value has nearly doubled in the past few years. It's nice to have a "golden parachute" available to us in the event of an emergency. If we even have to use it though, I don't know where we would go to restart. At that point everything will be out of our reach again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

I am in a similar situation. Our home value has nearly doubled in the past few years. It's nice to have a "golden parachute" available to us in the event of an emergency. If we even have to use it though, I don't know where we would go to restart. At that point everything will be out of our reach again.

Same. Our house doubled in value, but even if we sold it, we'd have to really stretch to find a similar house, even with $100k in our pockets after paying off the mortgage.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

CommieGIR posted:

Same. Our house doubled in value, but even if we sold it, we'd have to really stretch to find a similar house, even with $100k in our pockets after paying off the mortgage.

We refinanced in 21 for 2.0%. Selling would be a pretty big mistake.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yeah there are other ways to access the equity of your home without selling it. Its probably worth talking to your bank / accountant / financial advisor whether they would make sense for you

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1521090763295272963?s=20&t=D1FoGQnEpuc9vxbgKDY6LQ

Our political elites really did great work during the Trump years just concealing all the terrible things he wanted to do until now so they can sell books. Way to look after the public good you bunch of tremendous asses. Also, who is buying these books?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1521090763295272963?s=20&t=D1FoGQnEpuc9vxbgKDY6LQ

Our political elites really did great work during the Trump years just concealing all the terrible things he wanted to do until now so they can sell books. Way to look after the public good you bunch of tremendous asses. Also, who is buying these books?

Campaign contributors. It's an unregulated way to generate income.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There’s a whole genre of Trump admin memoirs now, poo poo’s wild.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bulletsponge13 posted:

Probably all the alleged rapes.

E- not sure proper phrasing- dude has numerous women who have claimed he sexually assaulted them, and it seems to follow the typical Scientology cover up with the LAPD for a bit.

Oh I know. Hence the I’m kidding, apologies for not being clearer.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So apparently the entire western half of the US is in a drought now. California is just in a 'mega drought' for the last two decades. Don't have the article on my phone but welp. When does it officially go from 'mega drought' to 'new normal, this isn't changing'? Kinda thinking we're already there, just curious how the book keeping works at this point.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There really aren’t any rules, and there are states making laws prohibiting the adoption of any “new normal” so…

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zamujasa posted:

april showers bring may flowers

Mayflowers bring smallpox, among other things

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Not all of the western US, only eastern Washington is in drought here. Western Washington is still a very wet place. I can't imagine a better place to avoid the brunt of climate change in the US than the Pacific Northwest though we might not have any glaciers left in the Olympic Mountains by the end of the century.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Every state needs to mandate grey water filters and recyclers

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mustang posted:

Not all of the western US, only eastern Washington is in drought here. Western Washington is still a very wet place. I can't imagine a better place to avoid the brunt of climate change in the US than the Pacific Northwest though we might not have any glaciers left in the Olympic Mountains by the end of the century.

The fire skies are damned unnerving though.

The environment here is starting to change in subtle ways. In 20 years I'm afraid this place will all look like Palo Alto. Californians are terraforming it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mustang posted:

Hush don’t make a big deal of it.
>.>
<.<

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Well if other places are anything to go by, parts that are too wet to burn will probably get catastrophic rainfall & flooding and everything that goes with it. So don't feel left out :)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Immensely stupid current event:
https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1521167028756828160

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh, it gets better:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bird food bathtub posted:

So apparently the entire western half of the US is in a drought now. California is just in a 'mega drought' for the last two decades. Don't have the article on my phone but welp. When does it officially go from 'mega drought' to 'new normal, this isn't changing'? Kinda thinking we're already there, just curious how the book keeping works at this point.

Just apply a factor of twenty on the threshold like they did with the rate of COVID cases per capita that qualifies as “low”.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hillary liberals and never trumpers are still eating that poo poo up

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Show offs
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/128510112/rocket-lab-successfully-catch-falling-rocket-booster-with-a-helicopter

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Bye.

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1521289548927545357

Been in pain for ~8 months, it's not getting better, and I wouldn't change a loving thing. Country more or less decided that buttery mails were worse than banning abortion access and here we are. And they're not going to stop at abortion limits.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Bye.

Been in pain for ~8 months, it's not getting better, and I wouldn't change a loving thing. Country more or less decided that buttery mails were worse than banning abortion access and here we are. And they're not going to stop at abortion limits.

I would characterize it more that they decided buttery males were a convenient fig leaf over their desire to enact bigotry and enforce control over those they feel hatred towards. The Cruelty Is The Point etc.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Bye.

I hope I'm reading this correctly and you are planning on expatriating yourself and not something significantly direr. Where ya headed?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

facialimpediment posted:

Bye.

time to work out real hard and join the french foreign legion!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Soul Dentist posted:

I hope I'm reading this correctly and you are planning on expatriating yourself and not something significantly direr. Where ya headed?

Nah I was saying goodbye to a fundamental legal right that a lot of people are going to lose because religious conservatives believe that women have no agency and a clump of cells is more of a human form than them. Not leaving anywhere.

And that conservatives lately are way more willing to just openly admit that all law is fake and all that matters is that you have a majority of votes to keep it that way.

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1521295280414543872?t=SUGgn0ZPeGEf1uvV6vW7xg&s=19

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

facialimpediment posted:

Nah I was saying goodbye to a fundamental legal right that a lot of people are going to lose because religious conservatives believe that women have no agency and a clump of cells is more of a human form than them. Not leaving anywhere.

And that conservatives lately are way more willing to just openly admit that all law is fake and all that matters is that you have a majority of votes to keep it that way.

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1521295280414543872?t=SUGgn0ZPeGEf1uvV6vW7xg&s=19

This is also going to hyper-charge the ultra-rabid religious right come Election Day.

Time for Women's March Part Deux.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is also going to hyper-charge the ultra-rabid religious right come Election Day.

Time for Women's March Part Deux.

I'm not quite a doomer, but I'm not seeing the way here. Law is fake. If you magically get 50 (with filibuster override) + House + presidency and pass a pro-abortion law, the Supreme Court just Law Is Fake-s its way to loving you on a 10th amendment argument. It's hosed and it's over, unless somehow this opinion went too far for the other four conservative fucks / religious zealots on the court. They can do what they want.

And in more states than people would want to admit - that's what they want too! And the opposition kinda sucks, as we've all noticed :v:

And apparently on early reads of that opinion, next probably comes sodomy laws, gay marriage, birth control, and bounties against women crossing state lines to get abortions. The time to stop this poo poo was 2016.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I wouldn't worry Diamond Joe PROMISED to codify Roe v Wade :)

actual response gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
it would be nice if everything wasn't terrible all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

The time to stop this poo poo was 2016.

yeah but unfortunately the really smart political people decided it was more important to get Bill Clinton's wife a career achievement award.

these are the same really smart people who've spent the last 40 years earnestly debating and trying to bargain with Republicans who made it repeatedly and patently clear that they don't give a poo poo about anything other than the raw exercise of power.

oh well can't wait for some thrilling takes from our resident political science experts on how this isn't that bad and the Democrats will now be motivated to the polls and boy that fundraising!