Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

The developers of Outer Wilds faced a challenge where they needed to ensure that floating point calculations near the player consistently used smaller / more precise coordinate values, no matter where the player traveled to in the solar system. Because one of the core experiences of the game is traveling between planets in a spaceship, the developers didn't want to partition the game world into a bunch of different zones each with their own coordinate spaces.

What they did was have player movement actually apply an opposite force to *every other physics object in the game*, such that the solar system moves around the player rather than the player moving around the solar system. By doing this, the player stayed at the origin of the game space, and the low coordinate values were always the ones nearest the player. Sure, calculations happening on the other side of the solar system had to use larger / less precise coordinates, but who cares, that's on the other side of the solar system! Applying forces to every object in the game with every movement didn't end up affecting performance too much, since everything was always having physics simulated on it all the time anyway.

Discussion of it starts at 31:47 in this video (I recommend watching the full thing, it's pretty cool):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbY0mBXKKT0&t=1907s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao

I tried searching for an explanation, but couldn't find anywhere that tells why this happens, just how to fix it (buy an old cowboy hat from the crimson caravan outside the strip). I assume there's a quest trigger or script that depends on a hat existing in the area?

Yeah, the explanation I found is that the issue comes from completing the quest where Francine asks you to kill Caleb McCaffery and return his hat as proof. No clue what specific coding mishap causes the game to crash after that point, though. Maybe there's a check on zone load to make sure a cowboy hat has loaded in so that the quest is do-able, without taking into account whether the quest has already been completed or not?