Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Classic:
"Back on Wing Commander 1 we were getting an exception from our EMM386 memory manager when we exited the game. We'd clear the screen and a single line would print out, something like 'EMM386 Memory manager error. Blah blah blah.' We had to ship ASAP. So I hex edited the error in the memory manager itself to read 'Thank you for playing Wing Commander.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I seem to recall that some old NES games do similar things, reading from their own game data to provide noise (for sound effects). But I can't point to a reference.

Not sound, but the comments mention Yar's Revenge for Atari 2600.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Nov 10, 2022