Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kikas posted:

Wait isn't this similar to what Resident Evil 1 does? It has static cameras because the levels are actually few basic shapes on top of extremely detailed images with properly alligned collision so it looks like it's a very impressive level.

It's how a lot of pre-rendered stuff worked, back in the PS1/Saturn era. Use a powerful computer to bust out a neat scene and then take a screenshot of it and throw it on a CD, basically.

Chamale posted:

Your name had a capital D as the 3rd, 5th, or 7th letter. Your friend had a capital E in one of those spots. Missingno's sprite is 8x8 blocks, but the normal maximum is 7x7, so it overflows into the Hall of Fame data and scrambles it. If you catch it, it wreaks havoc on other sprites, but it doesn't make the game unplayable. Using a level 0 'M can cause divide by zero errors that crash the game, though.

IIRC level 0 pokemon actually cause an issue with the formula for EXP that was used by Gen 1 and 2; specifically my memory is that the formula for Slow growth-rate pokemon would spit out a negative at levels 1 and 2, so they solved that problem by preventing the generator from ever spitting out those levels (that's also why egg pokemon started at level 5 in G/S/C but level 1 in R/S/E, which used a lookup table instead of a formula)

Enos Shenk posted:

A fun one about Skyrim. In that engine the NPCs are actually fairly clever. They have a schedule set up by the designer, like from 0:00 - 5:00 sleep, 5:00-7:00 eat, etc. They determine their own targets for those actions in the area they're contained in (called a cell). This is why you get weird stuff like NPC High Lords having a nap in a servant's bed. Because the script just says "Locate the nearest bed tagged object and activate it"

All NPCs must also exist somewhere. You can't just spawn in a character to do a little scene, they have to have a home cell that they chill in, and bringing them out into the world is just teleporting them out. This is how the courier dude works.

Sometimes in the game a character called the Courier will approach you and give you a letter. The Courier must always exist somewhere, so he's stored in his own little inaccessible cell and teleported out to freedom when he needs to do his job. You can use cheat codes to warp to his cell, and find him just hanging out in a tiny little stone room. Occasionally he gets released into the world without any clothes, I tried to debug that for a mod once and I never could find what caused that to happen.

There's a couple quests where you have to track down an NPC based on a schedule you're given. I believe there's one where you have to assassinate a head guard guy for the Dark Brotherhood. Well, he's executing a scripted in schedule saying "On this day be in this cell, on that day be in this other cell" This quest frustrates a lot of players because if you try to fast travel to where he'll be, the game recalculates all the NPC schedules as well as the day, so by the time you arrive at the location he's moved on.

Another one of those emergent situations was the treasure-hunting foxes in Sssssssssssskyrim? Basically, foxes want to run away from you, and they want to run a certain number of navmesh triangles away from you; in the open, where you usually encounter a fox, the navmesh has big, less detailed triangles, but around, say, the areas where there were little treasure troves would have smaller, higher-precision triangles. The fox, however, was programmed specifically to run X triangles away from the player, and would satisfy this in as quick a way as it could, which would tend to make treasure troves and secret areas act as attractors for it's algo.

Zamujasa posted:

Puggsy (Genesis/MD) does a lot of its effects by using triggers and teleporters for the little physics objects. For example, a puzzle might involve 'using' an item on a switch, which just teleports that item away into a small off-screen tube where it falls and triggers another switch that does something elsewhere in the level.

Here's one example from a very simple level view. When you trigger the puzzle in this stage, an object falls through the various points outside the stage on the right. As the object falls through each of the triggers on the way down, it causes one of the level blocks to update, creating a sort of animation.

If you know what to look for, you can sometimes hear objects bouncing around off-screen. :v:

Sounds a lot like what people will do in Super Mario Maker to get timers and things in a system that's not really built to have those. What's old is new again, eh?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just encountering the jerk, unless it's the fossils or the ghost, ruins Hall of Fame data, because, in a system designed for 56x56 pixel graphics, is something like 104x104, which is over three times the graphics to draw. Turns out, Hall of Fame data is juuuuust after the RAM dedicated to drawing graphics, so the oversized sprite overflows into that space.

That's also why it lags when you encounter one, because it takes so long to draw.

RGME has an awesome and far too detailed video on exactly why the game draws MissingNo the way it does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI50XUeN6QE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Huh, someone finally found a use for lalafell other than banning them from the ERP houses.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

StillFullyTerrible posted:

explain more to us your knowledge of these ERP houses

I have some friends who are into the ERP scene in FFXIV (up to the point of installing nude mods) and apparently it's common practice to ban lalafels, for, well...

Exactly the reason you'd expect for a race that looks like this at full maturity: