Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Titanfall 2's most famous level, Effect and Cause (spoilered because it's an insanely cool level and if you haven't played TF2 yet you should) works by having the present and past versions of the level stacked on top of each other, and all your time-travel wristwatch actually does is teleport you up and down on the Y axis.

Not as buckwild as some of the ones mentioned already, but I like it for its sheer simplicity to simulate something you'd think would be really complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Cinnabar coast glitch in Pokemon Red/Blue happens because, in order to display the trainer name OLD MAN in the catching tutorial, the game temporarily changes your name to OLD MAN and stores your real name in the encounter table, which is normally empty in a town.

Normally this is fine as encounter data is updated when going to an area with random encounters. But in another effort saving measure, the encounter table isn't updated when going between areas without encounters, like, say, two towns.

So you go from one town to another, and the game uses your name as encounter data, because it put it in the encounter table for safe keeping and didn't change it out because it didn't see a need to.

The levels get past 100 because letters are that high of index number. Your name is a variable width field, so the game includes a terminator character to specify the end of the name; it's what makes M' show up regardless.

A few shortcuts to ease up on the game boy's weak processor, and it results in one of the most famous glitches of all time.

This is also why every kid on the playground had different Pokemon pop up when they were looking for MissingNo -- I remember I kept getting Mewtwos while a friend of mine got a bunch of Snorlaxes. Actually catching MissingNo and using him in fights hosed up your game something fierce as I recall though

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Neito posted:

Another one of those emergent situations was the treasure-hunting foxes in Sssssssssssskyrim? Basically, foxes want to run away from you, and they want to run a certain number of navmesh triangles away from you; in the open, where you usually encounter a fox, the navmesh has big, less detailed triangles, but around, say, the areas where there were little treasure troves would have smaller, higher-precision triangles. The fox, however, was programmed specifically to run X triangles away from the player, and would satisfy this in as quick a way as it could, which would tend to make treasure troves and secret areas act as attractors for it's algo.

lmao that's nuts, one of the really cool and unique things Skyrim does and it's completely by accident. Gamebryo.txt