Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Paper Tiger posted:

Yeah, the explanation I found is that the issue comes from completing the quest where Francine asks you to kill Caleb McCaffery and return his hat as proof. No clue what specific coding mishap causes the game to crash after that point, though. Maybe there's a check on zone load to make sure a cowboy hat has loaded in so that the quest is do-able, without taking into account whether the quest has already been completed or not?

I would theorize that the model data is tied to models/characters that are in the scene, and the streaming system deals with them (probably a prebuilt list for world cells) However, the plot scripting system is it's own beast, and the script designers just references stuff by IDs, and as you *should* only script things that you know are in the scenes ('Chekovs gun' style), obviously scripting doesn't require any checks to see if the model data is actually loaded. And so you get a quest with a hat as the quest item, so it needs to spawn an object in the world when it builds that area in memory. Usually we use IDs generated from a hash of the filename, and a fast lookup database that returns the address of all the model data that you can then link to the game object you are creating to represent the items the script needs. My guess is this then returns a fail state if there's no hat loaded in the system, and the script system falls over at this point.

Now a hat is a funny one - they are everywhere so you could assume they are in the scene as surely there will be at least one character with one?
But they should have maybe added a scenery one hanging on a peg by the door to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU