Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
magic comes from being really blitzed on depressants and psychadelics. when you're really high you could technically destroy the world by transmuting it into a sun, but good luck concentrating on a spell that strong because you have to eat like five ounces of shrooms and smoke three pounds of weed within a couple dozen minutes to be able to wield that level of power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Outpost22 posted:

Use whatever the hell FF8 did, I'm sure someone smarter can explain it better

FF8 had you suck magic out of monsters. But we are mature adults here, so, imo, we can explore that sort of thing in detail instead of sticking to the boring, G-rated version the game presented.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"It's called the 2nd Amendment..." Vic Trim said, brandishing his 'wand' and discharging an explosion spell from it so quickly that no one even saw it impact the wizard. "Voice-less incantation, fueled by sulfur and lead, and can take down anything from commies to wizards."

"Oi, there, mate!" A young man stepped up. "What you're describin' there, that'd be soundin' more like alchemy, not magic! You don't kno--"

*BANG*

"You all saw it, he was trying to use a magic spell on me, you heard him talkin! I had to defend myself!"

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Applewhite posted:

"Spells" don't exist at all and magic is done by pacts with spirits or demons who carry out the instructions of their masters. "Magic words" are whatever code phrase the magic user gave the demon to know when it's supposed to do its job. That's why magic words are so often gibberish, because you wouldn't want the word or phrase to be something that could accidentally be spoken in casual conversation.

So an enchanted lock might have a demon in it who keeps the lock barred to everyone unless they tell it "Wizzale wazzle, open this dozzle."

The demons are tireless and live forever but can be negotiated with and might break their pact for a better deal.

The most powerful wizards are the ones who know how to network.

That's not gonna work, because that's just how it works in real life. Some magic is acting out the desired result and hoping it'll make the real thing happen, but most magic is just about asking something to do it for you (sometimes in exchange for some offering, and often in a very exact, established ritual).

You can't just do that in a book. It's too familiar. IMO, you should light some candles, summon Stolas, and beg him for a more original fictional magic system.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Magic is based on willing suspension of disbelief and the better show you can put on, the more likely a spell is to work. Spellcasting is essentially stage magic that comes true. Do the spell right, and you can actually make small objects disappear (or be transported a short distance), summon flights of doves and all that jazz.

The magician is best advised to be able to reproduce the spell using practical effects because even an expert magician can't get the spell to work every time and if you lose the audience's belief then you're hosed.

The bigger your audience, the more powerful the spell can be. A magician who knows how to work a stadium crowd can make landmarks vanish and transform boulders into elephants and stuff.

Applewhite posted:

Mana is stored in the tits whether you're a dude or a chick and you can tell a wizard's power level by the size of his or her boobs.

IMO, we should combine the two systems because everyone knows that stage magic is more powerful when the audience is distracted.

This is also our go-to excuse for all spellcasters dressing in skimpy, overly sexualized outfits.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

This is also our go-to excuse for all spellcasters dressing in skimpy, overly sexualized outfits.

magic power is inversely proportional to the amount of pants you're wearing. this is why monster magic is naturally strong (because monsters don't wear pants, with the exception of ogres trolls lizardmen etc and they are notoriously poor spellcasters), and why magical girls in animes wear skimpy skirts or tights. you don't see so many magical boys because showing off your hairy dude legs isn't really socially acceptable

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Yeah OP i thought it would be interesting to see how fans handled the ideas in Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell re: magic in their fanfiction. What new wacky magic would they come up, you know? Turns out all they were interested in handling was stuffing things up each character's bum.

Anyway, the best part of any novel is when they get to the Rules Discussions. What are the exact rules and limitations of magic? Every novel needs this, because otherwise, how am I to determine if the novel breaks its own rules and the author made a booboo? I also need the exact grand unified field theory that underlies the physics in the book to determine if the non-magical things are accurate. Have a magic system that's nothing but rules lawyering, OP.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Your soul is a jigsaw puzzle. You must first spend 10,000 hours putting it together via meditation before you can do magic spells. But what picture the puzzle shows is different for everyone and you get cool unique powers based off of that

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Magic, like anything else, is effected by gravity. Like everything else in the world, therefore, it eventually all ends up in the Marianas Trench. Somebody just has to go get it. That's right, the first immortal wizard will be none other than amateur submarine enthusiast/actress drowning enthusiast, Oscar-winning director James Cameron.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Magic, like anything else, is effected by gravity. Like everything else in the world, therefore, it eventually all ends up in the Marianas Trench. Somebody just has to go get it. That's right, the first immortal wizard will be none other than amateur submarine enthusiast/actress drowning enthusiast, Oscar-winning director James Cameron.

What about Jacques Piccard???

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mooey Cow posted:

What about Jacques Piccard???

That was a CIA op.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Magic accumulates in your mind while your eyes are closed. The longer you keep your eyes closed for the more power you build up.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

the more well explained and consistent the magic system is the worse the book/comic/movie/etc. is. same is true of a detailed phylogenetic tree of dragon species or exactly how gnomes are related to pixies and brownies and leprechauns. all that poo poo sucks

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The cool thing is that with just a little tweaking, any of these magic systems can also be an explanation for faster than light travel in your sci-fi novel!

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Magic is based on physical endurance and charm, so to cast spells you have to be in good shape and socially competent.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Every time you cast a spell your body impulsively takes a massive poo poo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wizzards think they petition otherworldly powers for spells but it turns out that it's the other way around :smugwizard:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Aha, there was a book where the characters were starving and about to die, but then they ate something called "food" and they were magically fine again?! I hate it when authors don't do the work and just pull out a dues ex machine like that! What are the limits of this food system? How does it work? Does it just clear any status condition? Does it restore your HP too? Do you need to have an innate ability to use its power or can just anyone do it? This is the kind of plot holes that could easily be fixed if the author just did the work and explained what's actually going on. Show don't tell.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Doctor Dogballs posted:

the more well explained and consistent the magic system is the worse the book/comic/movie/etc. is. same is true of a detailed phylogenetic tree of dragon species or exactly how gnomes are related to pixies and brownies and leprechauns. all that poo poo sucks

It's this. Ursula K. le Guin and Terry Pratchett do magic really well because they only explain exactly what is needed. In Le Guin's work magic is all about finding the true name and the true word for things in the old language. It's a very literary magic system that works because it's being used to tell a story in a book.

Pratchett on the other hand just basically brings out whatever magic is needed for dramatic and/or humorous effect, and fits it well into the plot. Basically, story needs dictate magic. It's never fully explained, but it doesn't need to be because magic isn't real and he's just trying to tell a story

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The only way to be magic is not to gently caress and the longer you don't gently caress the more magical you become!

Alternatively go with Alister Crowley approach and the only way to do magic is to do a lot of buttstuff

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
If youre magic system can't help me find buried treasure or make me invisible what use is it even

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The treasure were all the friends you've made learning magic together! And the invisibility is how the rest of the world views you after

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

As a magic user, you pledge your devotion to one of three powerful deities of magic:

R'ock the Unrelenting

Pay-pier, The Lord of the Flat Plain

Seezorz, Clipper of Fate

R'ock beats Seezorz, Pay-pier beats R'ock, Seezorz beats Pay-pier.

There is word of a 4th, forbidden entity that beats the other 3, but even mentioning it might bring a curse upon you.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
BulLSHITTTT! i need a spell to sneak into the girl's locker room unseen!!!

Which reminds me, I also need magic to ward off the evil eye thanks in advance!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Doctor J Off posted:

It's this. Ursula K. le Guin and Terry Pratchett do magic really well because they only explain exactly what is needed. In Le Guin's work magic is all about finding the true name and the true word for things in the old language. It's a very literary magic system that works because it's being used to tell a story in a book.

Pratchett on the other hand just basically brings out whatever magic is needed for dramatic and/or humorous effect, and fits it well into the plot. Basically, story needs dictate magic. It's never fully explained, but it doesn't need to be because magic isn't real and he's just trying to tell a story

Suzanna Clarke also did a great job in Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I just finished it a couple days ago and now I don't know what to with my life.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
But let's face the reality that none of us will be on LeGuin, Pratchett or Clarke's level and the only thing our novel will have going for it is how well the magic system facilitates nerd arguments.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Suzanna Clarke also did a great job in Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I just finished it a couple days ago and now I don't know what to with my life.

Watch the miniseries duh

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Magic spells are cast by perfectly reenacting the song and dance to a slice of life anime opening

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Magic spells only work if your horoscope says they will. Every astrological sign has different powers.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
There is a crystal containing powerful primordial forces you can tap into, but only by having a shard put in a certain part of your brain. This is highly likely to kill you, and has a limited reserve of energy. There's only so many known reserves of these, as such they are beyond value. Had it done to you? You survive? Well that crystal shard probably went through a bunch of skulls before it wound up in yours. That Cadre of warmages? Their very creation represents a mountain of corpses

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You can only do magic if you first die and get resuscitated because doing magic involves communing with the spirit realm.

The first half of wizard school is teaching you where to go and what to do while you're dead to come back with powers. Here's hoping you're one of the 25% of the class that makes it back.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
All people are capable of the greatest magic of all: everlasting life through the grace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

But let's face the reality that none of us will be on LeGuin, Pratchett or Clarke's level and the only thing our novel will have going for it is how well the magic system facilitates nerd arguments.

Ursula LeGuin was a fantastic author and terrible Disney villain

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Casting spells drains muscle mass instead of mana. Thats why all the wizards are gym rats. Evil wizards do crossfit and steroids

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the Memento of Kali CYOA I wrote spells are a gift of the Gods to let humans shape their own universe without resorting to prayer. This went horribly wrong as the ability to alter the laws of physics gave doomsday cults the power to create apocalyptic scenarios. Once people hacked the laws dominating the world enough to prevent Divine intervention, a multigenerational back-and-forth between people trying to end the world and people trying to save it resulted in magic being horribly corrupted.

Each use of magic successively advances the progress of the infohazard, which is a magic field that feeds on knowledge of itself. If someone knows about it, it gets closer to being triggered; if magic is used, it gets stronger. Once it is triggered it consumes all information it can with the resources its gathered. As a result each generation that has to deal with it is weaker than the previous one on purpose, and the characters have to figure out how to solve the infohazard without either triggering it by knowing too much or using so much magic that it is hastened.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Magic requires drawing perfect circles by hand.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Magic requires drawing perfect circles by hand.

Too arcane.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Applewhite posted:

The first half of wizard school is teaching you where to go and what to do while you're dead to come back with powers. Here's hoping you're one of the 25% of the class that makes it back.

This is pretty drat amusing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Magic works by contacting god and explaining to him the plot holes and logical inconsistencies within the reality he constructed until you’ve successfully convinced him that not having a fireball in your opponents face was a mistake on his part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
magic is being able to reassemble memory palaces of long dead gods by journeying between monuments found on a variety of maps. the closer you get to the correct sequence of visitations to landmarks, and versed in the correct history of a particular god, the more of their 'power' you inherit and thus can impose your will on reality. however, a pilgrim loses their own identity in the process if they become lost or obsessed by incomplete manuscripts, and most become gibbering morons unable to recall who they really are while farting lightning bolts/brimstone/all that kind of thing at 'trespassers'