Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Magic works on a principle of "Mana." And I don't mean videogame Mana, I mean in the traditional indigenous Polynesian sense of respect and obligation elevated to the level of metaphysical importance. When you challenge someone and win, you accrue Mana through your show of strength. When you have someone at your mercy and spare their life, you gain Mana from their them owing you their life. When you generously share your wealth, you gain Mana through others' accumulated debt to you. With sufficient Mana even the elements themselves will respect your wishes. That being said, actually using your accumulated Mana to do stuff diminishes it and uses some of it up, as you're calling in your debts and having it repaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Flower magic. Turns out flowers are magic and each type of flower can be used to do one very specific spell, but you can breed new flowers to get new spells. That's what happened during the tulip mania of the 1600s.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

EVIL Gibson posted:

This and every addiction-themed magic system in this thread is the premise of how magic works in Unknown Armies.

The system only benefits you when you are getting hosed 24/7, saving money to the point of semi+homelessness, never missing a show and the commercials, or just trying to do the most over the top stunt ever.

The downside is you lose all your power if you ever stop. If you go through even an hour of sobriety, you just lose all the power you saved up.

Addiction can also be very specific. A little old lady living in a house packed to the brim with Hummel figurines doesn't realize she is in command of a crack force of porcelain problem solvers. Ask her about the multiple times people broke into her house. Says she hasn't been robbed? That's right, the Hummels would like to keep it that way.

I honestly think this was one of the best takes on magic in a modern real world setting, I even have a copy of the gamebook myself.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Asterite34 posted:

Magic works on a principle of "Mana." And I don't mean videogame Mana, I mean in the traditional indigenous Polynesian sense of respect and obligation elevated to the level of metaphysical importance. When you challenge someone and win, you accrue Mana through your show of strength. When you have someone at your mercy and spare their life, you gain Mana from their them owing you their life. When you generously share your wealth, you gain Mana through others' accumulated debt to you. With sufficient Mana even the elements themselves will respect your wishes. That being said, actually using your accumulated Mana to do stuff diminishes it and uses some of it up, as you're calling in your debts and having it repaid.

This but mana is unleavened bread and you have to carb up before a wizard fight

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Magical aptitude is passed down genetically so all of the major magical families are all horrifically inbred to keep the magic gene strong. Outsiders born with the magic gene are begrudgingly allowed into the fold, but are generally disliked. The inbreeding causes severe mental and physical weakness among wizardkind, to the point where they need to wear open robes and have disappearing spells ready in case they poo poo themselves in public. The wizards have untold magical powers but their lacking intelligence means that most of their time is wasted on self destructive, or otherwise just plain stupid stunts and hobbies due to their odd and cruel "traditions". Your average wizard lives and dies not noticing that the average commoner lives a far more comfortable and safe existence than he or she ever will.

e: I've just been told some transphobe hack beat me to the punch on this.

Who What Now posted:

This but mana is unleavened bread and you have to carb up before a wizard fight

This but mana is MTG mana and you need miles and miles of real estate to just cast a fuckin fireball or summon a skeleton.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Radio waves can be channeled into fireballs if you have the right arrangement of metal fillings.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
There's a long list of words written in an ancient language that cause magical effects simply when spoken aloud and using a wand to focus the effects of the spell. The words are relatively easy to pronounce and any idiot can do it if they get their hands on a wand, which has resulted in the world being destroyed multiple times in the past due to how easy it is to abuse this system once knowledge of it inevitably leaks to the greater public.

Yes, I based this system on how magic works in Harry Potter.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All words are antimagical and our development of language has forever cut us off from being able to perform it.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

"Magic" involves making events happen that are possible but improbable. The more improbable they are, the more magic you need to spend.

Consider the odds against a given event, and then sacrifice an outcome that is as unlikely.

If you want an event where the odds of it happening are 1 in 1,125,899,906,842,624, then all you need to do is mentally fuse your target event with the sacrificial event, and then make the sacrificial event happen.

Take a roll of 50 pennies, slice it open, and hurl them to the ground before you. There are 2^50 possible arrangements of heads and tails, so the odds of you getting any one specific result are 1 in 2^50.

And since you've just generated an event where the odds of it happening were 1 in 1,125,899,906,842,624, your target event will happen... as long as the odds of it happening were less than that.

And as long as none of the pennies have been used for this before. You can only use a given penny for this, once.

As per Doctor Manhattan, "A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference. Life and death are unquantifiable abstracts." How unlikely is it that the particles in a body would randomly move in ways such that the person comes back to life? That's not a fifty-cent miracle. It's not even a hundred-dollar miracle.

Want to try a thousand-dollar miracle?

Eventually someone realizes that you can randomize tiny sections of your hard drive and sacrifice those instead. A byte is 8 bits, a kilobyte is 1024, a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes... at odds of 1 in (2^3)^((2^10)^(2^10)), anything can happen.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Parahexavoctal posted:

Eventually someone realizes that you can randomize tiny sections of your hard drive and sacrifice those instead. A byte is 8 bits, a kilobyte is 1024, a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes... at odds of 1 in (2^3)^((2^10)^(2^10)), anything can happen.

Eventually someone creates a random number generator with a large enough spread that they become a god.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Parahexavoctal posted:

"Magic" involves making events happen that are possible but improbable. The more improbable they are, the more magic you need to spend.

Consider the odds against a given event, and then sacrifice an outcome that is as unlikely.

If you want an event where the odds of it happening are 1 in 1,125,899,906,842,624, then all you need to do is mentally fuse your target event with the sacrificial event, and then make the sacrificial event happen.

Take a roll of 50 pennies, slice it open, and hurl them to the ground before you. There are 2^50 possible arrangements of heads and tails, so the odds of you getting any one specific result are 1 in 2^50.

And since you've just generated an event where the odds of it happening were 1 in 1,125,899,906,842,624, your target event will happen... as long as the odds of it happening were less than that.

And as long as none of the pennies have been used for this before. You can only use a given penny for this, once.

As per Doctor Manhattan, "A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference. Life and death are unquantifiable abstracts." How unlikely is it that the particles in a body would randomly move in ways such that the person comes back to life? That's not a fifty-cent miracle. It's not even a hundred-dollar miracle.

This is a really good one

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Every time you cast a spell you lose one digit. You get 10. That's it. I would not waste it on identifying an item.

Disagree. Being able to identify would be an invaluable boon to archaeology. It would also wreck the art world when famous paintings were exposed as fakes or forgeries.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Mana is stored in the balls

Das Boo posted:

For women it's the tits and we call it TP.

wheels of times did this already

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone can do magic but the effects are very weak. Usually not worth doing expect at scale or for situations where the margin of error is razor thin.
A ward against fire will only reduce the risk of your house burning down by 0.02%. But when every building in the world has a 0.02% reduced change of burning down it actually matters. Now imagine the impact of tattos that ward every so sligthly against cancer and the most common causes of premature death. At the other end of the scale when you are doing neurosurgery, the tiniest mistake is deadly. So ofcourse you say the incantation of artemis to keep your hands steady.

For this reason the foremost masters of magic are usually found among economists. The revoutionary techniques of the red necomancer Karl Marx is still studied in many realms. His tomb is still guarded by the ghosts of workers killed in work accidents that he called into eternal service with his dying breath. Their grusome visage alone is enough to scare away any would be Vandal.
Today the arcane and blasmephous rites of financiers who tear and pull at the threads of fates are feared by the wise.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ChubbyChecker posted:

wheels of times did this already

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Magic is stored in the balls and tits but each is a half of the same coin. Ball magic is imprecise and aggressive while tit magic is accurate and supportive. True magic harmony is only possible when the two are used together. Sadly, ball magic was tainted by Loose Nutskin during the last turning of the Wheel and all who wield it are destined to go insane from the evil churning in their balls.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

goatface posted:

All words are antimagical and our development of language has forever cut us off from being able to perform it.

this is basically zen buddhism

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Magic is understanding that everything in the universe is just the dream of an unconscious sleeping God, with everyone being bits of the Godhead going through the dream world bound by physical law in the same way you go through a dream bound by dream logic you don't question or acknowledge as nonsense. A Magician is a bit of the Godhead basically being a lucid dreamer, manipulating the narrative because it's all in your head anyway. The danger is pushing things too far and accidentally "waking up," popping you out of the shared dream-existence as you realize you're not real.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

Disagree. Being able to identify would be an invaluable boon to archaeology. It would also wreck the art world when famous paintings were exposed as fakes or forgeries.

"Is this an actual artifact, or just a rock?"

"... it's a rock."

"drat. Well, how many fingers do you have left?"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if you think you can make better magic than Jack Vance i wish you good luck op

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Asterite34 posted:

Magic is understanding that everything in the universe is just the dream of an unconscious sleeping God, with everyone being bits of the Godhead going through the dream world bound by physical law in the same way you go through a dream bound by dream logic you don't question or acknowledge as nonsense. A Magician is a bit of the Godhead basically being a lucid dreamer, manipulating the narrative because it's all in your head anyway. The danger is pushing things too far and accidentally "waking up," popping you out of the shared dream-existence as you realize you're not real.

:hmmyes:
this his how real magic works. I suggest reading the works of aleister Crowley if you would like to improve your magic masturbation techneques and ascend beyond the veil

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every time you do magic it upsets the transdimensional machine elves because shaping reality is union work and you aren't a member.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The only magic is time manipulation of inanimate matter.

In theory, one could cast a fireball by pulling a piece of flung magma from a volcano eruption in the past or future into the present. Centered in a society with a rich oral history but no writing. So you have to learn about where in history these things took place by talking to someone who was there or has used that moment in time to conjure something from there before.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Applewhite posted:

This is a really good one

Thank you. I've had it bouncing around in the back of my head for quite a while, and I didn't have any particular story I could use it in.

It feels sort of John Constantine-ish.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Magic which is so rudimentary that it is indistinguishable from basic technology

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Like you just cast a spell to conjure something that looks like an old nokia brick phone and that lets you communicate over long distances

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You would have spells like...

Extract Cash
Using a credit card as a reagent, extract cash from any nearby ATM up to a maximum determined by your character's Credit Score.

or

Banish Darkness
Produce a flashlight from within your robe to assist your party in seeing through the night. Lasts for 6 hours.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

Extract Cash
Using a credit card as a reagent, extract cash from any nearby ATM up to a maximum determined by your character's Credit Score.

or

Banish Darkness
Produce a flashlight from within your robe to assist your party in seeing through the night. Lasts for 6 hours.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

deep dish peat moss posted:

Extract Cash

or

Banish Darkness

Sounds like WOD Hunter. Just plain Jane af.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Parahexavoctal posted:

You know that very very popular house rule in D&D where you can attempt a skill check attempting something incredibly unlikely to succeed but it does as long as you roll a nat 20? The knock on, in-world effect of that actions attempted by sentient being has a probability floor of 1 in 20. Nothing anyone does can be less likely than this. I always thought it would be very very funny to have a villain in a D&D campaign that realised that and did all kinds of insane exploits.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I cast my little spell by waving my little stick around

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i could tell you how literal actual magic works but the truth is that knowing how it works doesn't matter, you're already magic. you're magic, dog

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

As any true fantasy connoisseur can tell you, the key to writing a popular fantasy novel isn't well-developed characters, a satisfying story arc, or detailed worldbuilding. The key to a popular fantasy novel is a unique magic system that nerds can obsess over and work into their fanfictions.

A "magic system" is a set of rules by which the magic of the world operates. If your fantasy novel is scrub-tier, magic works by saying magic words and the spell happens. BO-RING! Try this: magic works by collecting magic coins and you "spend" them to "buy" spells from spirits. Stronger spells cost more money and wizards spend their whole lives trying to collect magic coins. BOOM! Now you're cooking with gas!

Examples of magic systems include:

Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker book has a magic system where souls are transferrable. Everyone is born with one and you can give it away or acquire more. The more souls you have the more powerful magic you can do, but doing magic costs souls. Also something to do with colors it's been a while since I read it.

I'm sure we can do better.

pretty sure it was another Sanderson series, but i forget the name, but they would consume tiny amounts of minerals that would grant different powers. I thought that was pretty cool, and unique. like one would let you push (force powers!) away, and one would let you pull (more force powers!), and like levitation. and uhh.. reflexes and other stuff. They were like assassins, or something.

Not really "adult" novels, but good for a quick break from reality. It might of been Brent Weeks.

Or the Dragon Knight which was a silly series, and he'd have to write mental equations on his mind blackboard. Like grass + fire = smoke cloud or some stupid poo poo.

i love me some unique magic systems.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 4, 2022

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

That loving Sned posted:

The number 1 reason magic should not be used, it's the gig economy for pixies

It's completely unsustainable. Same reason they've put ads in my crystal ball.

Pixies are actually responsible for casting spells but they drain your life, your training is communication with them. Wizards only look old cause they're 35, but can converse with fairies.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah I read all the books in morrowind too.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m watching Scanners again, a movie with a thalidomide based magic system.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Lego voodoo magic. You build a facsimile of the thing you want to do something to out of lego, then do the thing to the lego. The more accurate the lego build is, the better the spell the works. If you use illegal moves the spell rebounds on you instead.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Applewhite posted:

Suzanna Clarke also did a great job in Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I just finished it a couple days ago and now I don't know what to with my life.

read her other book, Piranesi

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

read her other book, Piranesi

I actually read Piranesi first then remembered Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell had been sitting on my shelf for ten years.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Wizarding power is directly linked to "bad" cholesterol levels. In the summer of 1997, the two greatest wizards of all time, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole and Chris Farley, fought an epic duel over the Pacific Ocean. Israel perished, but Chris Farley was mortally wounded in the battle, and succumbed himself some few months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

For however much energy a spell must conjure to be cast it consumes a set amount of blue liquid that must be in the wizard's stomach. You don't need to be smart or anything, just have as much blue liquid in your stomach as possible. Once cast, the blue liquid disappears from your stomach as it is turned to energy. The liquid can be anything as long as it's blue (blueberry juice, anti-freeze etc.)

The only skills and abilities that matter are stomach size, shotgunning liquids without gagging, and ability to suppress vomiting.