Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Magic works like submitting a software patch to a major project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Colonel Cancer posted:

The only way to be magic is not to gently caress and the longer you don't gently caress the more magical you become!

Alternatively go with Alister Crowley approach and the only way to do magic is to do a lot of buttstuff

aleister crowley invented the ookie cookie

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nice Van My Man posted:

For however much energy a spell must conjure to be cast it consumes a set amount of blue liquid that must be in the wizard's stomach. You don't need to be smart or anything, just have as much blue liquid in your stomach as possible. Once cast, the blue liquid disappears from your stomach as it is turned to energy. The liquid can be anything as long as it's blue (blueberry juice, anti-freeze etc.)

The only skills and abilities that matter are stomach size, shotgunning liquids without gagging, and ability to suppress vomiting.

Can you eat a blue dye to turn your normal stomach contents blue?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

goatface posted:

Magic works like submitting a software patch to a major project.

they call their wands and staves production branches

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Every year all over the world a new class of children take turns pulling the Magic Slot Machine's lever. What you get determines your magical powers forever. For example, Lemon Diamond 7 would make you a Pig Wizard, a very strong animal aspect type. There are thousands of combinations and all of them have been mapped out for many years - until one day, a very special child pulls that lever and gets something TOTALLY UNHEARD OF!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
pixies are real

half of them are evil though and you can never tell a good pixie from a bad pixie until it s too late

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Magic is fueled by siphoning power off ley lines, but it works like water management IRL so people "downstream" from the ley line get screwed if too many people upstream drain all the magic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
summoning a demon actually involves a lot of paperwork

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Magic is fueled by siphoning power off ley lines, but it works like water management IRL so people "downstream" from the ley line get screwed if too many people upstream drain all the magic.

You have to drink the raw magic power to be able to cast spells, but whatever magic you don't use your body expels all of it when you pee it out, however it's more concentrated and more powerful.

The most powerful mages have been drinking their own pee for years.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

precision posted:

summoning a demon actually involves a lot of paperwork

You're thinking of devils, i want to see your doctorate in fiendology right now

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
ok this system is pretty simple get ready you little TTRPG sluts

i put on my robe and my wizard hat

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Umm I'm gonna put down Umi for a water effect then Pikachu goes in attack position...

Then black lotus and Pikachu has trample

Your move.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Humans spend all their time in the Metaverse (tm) and as such their fay to day to day physical lives are irrelevant. This isn't revealed immediately in the novel though, the novel starts in the Metaverse(tm).

As such magic is an ability that is conferred from microtransactions using "crystals"(R) which is a purchasable currency only used for magic, and new spells are unlocked by gaining experience, with those who can afford a "season pass"(R) unlocking additional spells. If you can't afford the season passes you're stuck with basic spells and while it's theoretically possible to get crystals but they are given out in such small amounts it would take years to save up enough to do any decent magic.

The main hero of the novel is a guy who saves up for 20 years to disrupt the metaverse and lead a rebellion. The bad guys can't turn his magic off because the guy who designed the metaverse(tm) was kidnapped from his family to make it so he deliberately left this flaw in the system where magic couldn't be turned off. Hes found by a group of weapon wearing dark coats and sunglasses who tell him that he's the One(C) and that they need to rescue someone who has the plans they need. So they break into a prison and rescue the princess who gives them the plans saying magic can't be turned off.

At the point the hero has a crisis of confidence and says he just wants to go back to his swamp (he's an ogre in the metaverse by the way) but one of the group in black trench coats is a donkey and he says he's gotta free all the people from corporate tyranny and the princess changes her avatar to an ogre too and VR humps him. She's a princess by the way because her dad owns lots of metaverse land that he bought using his fortune in bitcoin. This is only explained in the sequel though.

Either way the main character uses his saved up stash of crystals to pay to win all the way to the person controlling the metaverse(tm) and beats him in a magic sword fight. At that point the main character is assaulted... In real life!

This is a shock twist in the novel and the hero realises without his pay to win magic crystals he is doomed. He then feels a single in his fingers and as he outstretched them all the guys in the room turn to ash. The last one on the floor grabs his leg and says "Mr Ogre, I don't feel so good" before he vanishes. The hero looks down at his hands and says "It's all ogre now"

How can our hero use magic outside the metaverse(tm)? Is he still in the metaverse(tm)? What is reality???

That's all saved for the next novel. This is all totally original copywrited ideas BTW so if you steal them I WILL sue you.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 6, 2022

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Magic is real but so insanely offensive that it would even make Hitler feel bad for trying to cast the lowliest of fireballs. Everyone shuns wizards because of this and hate them, you just can't have them around, but no one hates them more than they hate themselves.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
That's just because of all the cat murder. You'd hate yourself too if you had to do that.

Nowadays we have the cards. Nobody can stop my level 6595 Skull Dragon!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Treecko posted:

Umm I'm gonna put down Umi for a water effect then Pikachu goes in attack position...

Then black lotus and Pikachu has trample

Your move.

i tap my dragon for purple energy, and while that effect is on the pile i cast magic missile on your face using the mana from my Legendary Octomamm to make it unblockable

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Can you eat a blue dye to turn your normal stomach contents blue?

drat it, don't give away the ending to my WIP fantasy novel!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Maybe some sort of magic system that’s not a postmodern deconstruction of magic in any way and is totally dissimilar to the exploitation of non-renewable resources in the real world.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Maybe some sort of magic system that’s not a postmodern deconstruction of magic in any way and is totally dissimilar to the exploitation of non-renewable resources in the real world.

to do magic you have to drink crude oil

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Do not, and I can't stress this enough, get familiar with your familiar.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Nice Van My Man posted:

drat it, don't give away the ending to my WIP fantasy novel!

Hey, I thought of a WAP based magic system first, and you can’t just take my idea and run with- oh, you said WIP, I don’t know or care what that acronym stands for.

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
Magic powered by solipsism. The more you believe that you are the only real thing in the universe, them more you can change it to your whims, but the less you care to bother because nothing matters.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Spells are basically just prayers lifted from the bible and retrofitted to do new things. Find yourself bewitched and lost in the forest? Turn your coat outside in and recite the lord's prayer backwards.

Travelling spell casters sell spells they've come up with and scribbled down on notes

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
In my magic system you have to kill and kill as many people as possible, every spell someone had to die or at least get hurt and the more an innocent person gets hurt the more powerful magic you can do

My novel is very adult, very gritty and real and isn't mostly just off-putting descriptions of torture, nosir

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Uncle Enzo posted:

In my magic system you have to kill and kill as many people as possible, every spell someone had to die or at least get hurt and the more an innocent person gets hurt the more powerful magic you can do

My novel is very adult, very gritty and real and isn't mostly just off-putting descriptions of torture, nosir

Mine is even more adult, and you can tell because of its super mature title, “Dr. Gorearium’s Torture Terrarium”.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
In my fanfic magic isn't actually real, it's just the people think it is and magicians do pretty mundane things by the reader's standards but they don't know that so it's all very colorful descriptions of non-magical things seeming magical. Until they do some things that are pretty clearly impossible so maybe it was real after all??!!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Magic power is charged by licking door knobs.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Magic is actually just guns

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

To cast Charm Person you have to give the target oral to completion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Space Kablooey posted:

Magic is actually just guns

incorrect - guns are actually just magic

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nigmaetcetera posted:

To cast Charm Person you have to give the target oral to completion.

This one works IRL

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

This one works IRL

Truth is stranger than fiction

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

Magic is just me getting really high on amphetamines and yelling in a Walmart parking lot.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Pie in the Sky posted:

Magic is just me getting really high on amphetamines and yelling in a Walmart parking lot.

Applewhite posted:

This one works IRL

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mooey Cow posted:

Spells are basically just prayers lifted from the bible and retrofitted to do new things. Find yourself bewitched and lost in the forest? Turn your coat outside in and recite the lord's prayer backwards.

Travelling spell casters sell spells they've come up with and scribbled down on notes

this is just Catholicism

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

You're thinking of devils, i want to see your doctorate in fiendology right now

Buddy, that's D&D, and unless you can show me a paycheck from Wizards of the Coast, we are not using such obvious D&D conventions in our magic system.

I'm not saying we can't blatantly steal their poo poo. You bet your rear end we'll steal their poo poo. But we need to repaint it and file off the serial number. All that Devils vs. Demons Blood War poo poo is pure, uncut, obvious D&D and nobody's going to believe us if we come out with that then go all "Aw, shucks, we just based in on the same folklore/mythology that originally inspired it!"

We also can't have demons and daemons as different things. We gotta pick a spelling and stick with it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

daimons

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
mailer daemons :twisted:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The only spell is shrinking. Anyone can use it all the time on anything. There's a lotta tiny poo poo around. Please step carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

this is just Catholicism

It's folk magic from rural northern europe in the 1800s, though how often the spells/prayers reference the virgin Mary and the way they're often repeated seems very catholic