Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sodomy Hussein posted:

For brevity's sake we can ignore all the universes that never developed life, or collapsed of their own volition, which cuts out the vast majority.

Yeah plus if universes can "crash into each other" it's not like you just pick one with stuff you want, it has to be navigated to through others because of however their proximity works going by how the movie plays out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What about all the universes where Wanda has real kids but they died, wouldn’t that Wanda become some kind of insane multidimensional Necromancer?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I wasn’t too jazzed about the script but I have to give it credit for one thing: knowing there’s a multiverse tends to lower the emotional stakes because you know there’s millions of copies of you out there, so to make Wanda feel unique they tell her she’s the most miserable and unhappy one

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bust Rodd posted:

What about all the universes where Wanda has real kids but they died, wouldn’t that Wanda become some kind of insane multidimensional Necromancer?

Yes, you'd think there'd be at least a few universes where, like, Tony Stark died as a child and never developed weapons. Wanda and Pietro never lost their family, she just kind of lived a life, married some Sokovian dude and had some non-super children.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There seems to be a fundamental disconnect here with what infinite means.

If you have a series of real numbers that stretches to infinity, and 1 in 1 billion have some special property, the following is true:

There is an infinite number of numbers with that special property
Taken as a percentage of that infinite number set, it is a very small percentage. So if you, say, select a million numbers at random from that infinite set, you probably won't get a number with a special property. Despite the fact that there's an infinite number of them!

There's a bunch of weird mathematician poo poo with infinite series, I saw it on some Youtube channel. I'm no expert. But I do recall having my mind blown by all the weird poo poo that happens with infinite series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Steve Yun posted:

I wasn’t too jazzed about the script but I have to give it credit for one thing: knowing there’s a multiverse tends to lower the emotional stakes because you know there’s millions of copies of you out there, so to make Wanda feel unique they tell her she’s the most miserable and unhappy one

I mean that's the whole point of storytelling, yes

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you have a series of real numbers that stretches to infinity, and 1 in 1 billion have some special property, the following is true:

There is an infinite number of numbers with that special property
Taken as a percentage of that infinite number set, it is a very small percentage. So if you, say, select a million numbers at random from that infinite set, you probably won't get a number with a special property. Despite the fact that there's an infinite number of them!

That's true for finite stuff too. If you just have a billion different numbers, and you say the special one is 111111111 or something, and you pick a million of those billion at random you'll have only picked out 1/1000 of them. So you'll have only a tenth of a percent chance of hitting the special one with your selection of a million.

Anyway, yeah, multiverse. The infinite stuff is not actually important to the plot or the setup.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 12, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like really, this is literal comic book physics here. The important thing about the multiverse is that it is not about any kind of 'realism', that was never in the equation. It's about narrative possibilities, and that's the way it has literally always worked in comic books. The universe where Dr Strange went off the rails and had to be put down, the universe where everyone is cartoon animals, the universe where red means go and green means stop, the universe where the Avengers and the Justice League are the same organisation.

They're going to land in the universe that's interesting for them to land in. Hell, part of the whole deal with America's powers is that, at least on a subconscious level, they send her where she needs to go. Heck, she probably has gone to universes where food is free, when she's hungry.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah In the movie they don’t deal with actual infinite universes but like as I said above I think - 70.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
This movie was such a turd, turned it off after like 30 minutes and I never do that. loving "America Chavez" :lol:

"WE HAVE TO SAVE AMERICA!"

*slow panning shot of Cumberbatch doing the Borat thumbs up*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Mr. Crow posted:

This movie was such a turd, turned it off after like 30 minutes and I never do that. loving "America Chavez" :lol:

I disagree

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

is it 2010 hot takes O'clock again?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Crow posted:

The main character’s name is loving Doctor Strange lmfao

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also some Latin-American women do get named "America". America Ferrara was the star of Ugly Betty.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Upsidads posted:

is it 2010 hot takes O'clock again?

This honestly feels more circa 2006 to me. I checked and 2006 is when the Borat mockumentary first came out, so this is probably why.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also some Latin-American women do get named "America". America Ferrara was the star of Ugly Betty.

Maybe she was born in one of the universes in which the USA never existed? Or at least is less of a hellhole.

I had a TA in college from Central America whose given name was Roosevelt

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

America also refers to the entire continent and not just the US in Latin America.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly having watched every Marvel movie in the last 3 years, MoM feels distinct and separate from them all and I could understand really not vibing with this movie, because it’s basically entirely disconnected from the greater meta-plot while also being sadder and darker than any of the other films

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly having watched every Marvel movie in the last 3 years, MoM feels distinct and separate from them all and I could understand really not vibing with this movie, because it’s basically entirely disconnected from the greater meta-plot while also being sadder and darker than any of the other films

How is it disconnected from the greater meta-plot when Strange's character arc stems from doubt about what he did in Infinity War and is a direct sequel to Wandavision?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

live with fruit posted:

How is it disconnected from the greater meta-plot when Strange's character arc stems from doubt about what he did in Infinity War and is a direct sequel to Wandavision?

Because it doesn’t seem like anything that happens in this film matters to anyone else besides Stephen. WandaVision ended with Wanda hiding in the mountains somewhere… now she’s just gone. This movie ends with Stephen… having magic powers… if you remove the emotional beats of the film absolutely nothing of consequence happens, at least as far as I can tell.

Edit: I guess wizard school is destroyed, but again, that basically only matters to Stephen and the SORCSUP

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It literally permanently removes an Avenger from ever showing up again (barring them deciding to bring in multiverse clones suddenly). That's about as much a permanent effect as Infinity war/Endgame had, though I suppose Endgame removed three times as many.

Wanda being straight up dead is very different from her going to a mountain to study alone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol if you think Wanda actually died in MoM

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wanda was less of an Avenger and more of a plot hole waiting to happen. I think she’s gone because one of the biggest criticisms of IW/EG was that Capt. Marvel was just too OP and makes the final battle kind of irrelevant. If they don’t table Wanda now then Kang would roll through our universe and instantly get turned into Dark Magick Spaghetti like Mr. Fantastic. She’s too powerful for any upcoming threat to actually seem scary, so she had to go.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Because it doesn’t seem like anything that happens in this film matters to anyone else besides Stephen. WandaVision ended with Wanda hiding in the mountains somewhere… now she’s just gone. This movie ends with Stephen… having magic powers… if you remove the emotional beats of the film absolutely nothing of consequence happens, at least as far as I can tell.

Edit: I guess wizard school is destroyed, but again, that basically only matters to Stephen and the SORCSUP

The movie ends with Stephen mentoring a girl who can jump between universes and then going off into a different dimension with Charlize Theron after she showed up in New York and opened up a portal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agreed OP

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

America now is not I guess some Italian guy but an ancient Mayan ? Name for a mountain range in Nicaragua

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
God Bless Vespucciland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm finding the same problem with Marvel movies these days that led me to dropping comics. Just insane stake-upping all the time with little regard to the complications, implications, internal logic, and characterization depending on whoever is writing/directing them at the moment. And also you have to read/watch THIS tie-in and THAT tie-in. Like I thought this movie was pretty terrible on its own merits as well but I was just exhausted at the end, wondering if I had missed something that would put things in a better context.