Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is full on sam Raimi marvel movie again and I loving adored it. For me this is the best MCU movie they have ever done.

After 13 years!! He’s back!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

For sure the nastiest deaths in the MCU thus far.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 6, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Death(s).

Blackbolts death is lmao.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
So there was no other multiverse where Vision and the boys were there? Or does Vision die in every universe? Also, did I miss something between 3rd eye-opening ending and then Strange meeting Clea, or was that a different Strange?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

:siren: BIG SPOILER AHEAD DON'T TOUCH :siren:

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Illuminati cameo for Reed/Xavier/BlackBolt and the rest just dragged the film down. Strange's girlfriend from that universe managed to contribute to the plot to a degree but the rest were just cannon fodder that felt a bit nasty.

Well, Black Bolt's death was amusing in a Raimi way.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Who does Bruce Campbell play?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He plays a multiverse pizza man

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pizza Papa needs a gangtag

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Delta is in the movie by the way. If you think he missed that.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

RatHat posted:

A minor/cameo role

He's a hot dog pizza balls salesman in an alternative universe that interacts with Strange and America Chavez, mentioning how the former is dressed as his universe's Strange. Strange casts a spell on him that wears off in the final credits scene.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 6, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

RatHat posted:

Ligma.

Ligma pizza balls

Also lol Blackbolt

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The X-Men theme reprise.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This movie was a hot mess. As a whole it's not very good, but there were a lot of neat individual moments I enjoyed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Laughing Zealot posted:

A minor/cameo role

He's a hot dog pizza balls salesman in an alternative universe that interacts with Strange and America Chavez, mentioning how the former is dressed as his universe's Strange. Strange casts a spell on him that wears off in the final credits scene.

A spell that makes him punch himself in a silly slapstick fashion

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

CelticPredator posted:

A spell that makes him punch himself in a silly slapstick fashion

It amuses me that this spell would be incredibly effective in all sorts of fights, and Strange never uses it for anything but that one time and on someone who just annoyed him a bit.

I think this was an above-average MCU movie that clearly had plenty of wasted potential. Seeing some insane deaths was nice, and seeing some things that certainly appeal to my inner comic book fan was nice. If you don't care about comic book cameos/teases and haven't watched stuff like Wandavision it's probably just average or below average. Then again, there's so much visual spectacle that even if you're completely tuned out of the MCU I figure it'd rank above stuff like Thor 2 or Iron Man 2.

No Way Home is vastly superior and it's not even a close fight, but it's got a big leg up because it brings in so many iconic characters and capital A Actors, and gives them plenty to do, in a way that this movie doesn't.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Do how long until John Krasinski is announced as Reed Richards for the F4 movie?

X-men theme was great. As was Xavier getting into Wanda’s head. Too bad he had to die in another movie. :( At least Peggy didn’t go out stupidly like Blackbolt or Richards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it was Sam Raimi as gently caress and delightful in general

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

The tonal whiplash between this movie and Wandavision is insane — and I wish there had been a smoother transition from the latter version of Wanda into the former. That’s my biggest complaint.

By the 3/4 mark this film is pure Rami, and the story goes in places I didn’t think the MCU would ever go. I predict that this will be the most divisive entry into the franchise to-date.

If I were 20 I would have loved this movie unconditionally. As it is, I had a good time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I’m a little disappointed that Kang wasn’t seen at all. Even as a credits cliffhanger. I thought it was originally rumored he would be in this movie? I guess season 2 of Loki will have more to do with him before he can jump into the movies?

Also on the Multiverse chat that started in the other thread: My guess is that the events of Loki broke the seal on the Multiverse that allows NWH and MOM to happen. There isn’t a difference between Dr. Strange Multiverse and Loki timelines. But since the only person who knows about the TVA or Kang is Loki(s), our Dr. Strange, Wanda, Wong, and Spiderman don’t fully understand why the Multiverse stuff is happening now. They think they’ve finally figured out the magic... they are not aware that there is another force that has been suppressing other universes until now.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Zero One posted:

I’m a little disappointed that Kang wasn’t seen at all. Even as a credits cliffhanger. I thought it was originally rumored he would be in this movie? I guess season 2 of Loki will have more to do with him before he can jump into the movies?

I think it was always Ant-Man 3 that he was supposed to be in and him popping up in Loki was the surprise. Don't remember any rumours about showing up in Doctor Strange, but yeah it would have made sense.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

LesterGroans posted:

I think it was always Ant-Man 3 that he was supposed to be in and him popping up in Loki was the surprise. Don't remember any rumours about showing up in Doctor Strange, but yeah it would have made sense.

Oh yeah. I forgot about Ant Man (despite his mention in MOM). I was trying to think of the future movie Kang could show up again but Thor didn't seem likely. Quantumania on the other hand...

Zero One fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 6, 2022

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Harlock posted:

This movie was a hot mess. As a whole it's not very good, but there were a lot of neat individual moments I enjoyed.

I'll echo this. Really sort of a clusterfuck, but great moments throughout, especially near the end. God, these multiverse movies are exhausting.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Upsidads posted:

Pizza Poppa needs a gangtag

(that's officially his name)

Also am I the only one who mistakenly thought AOC was in the movie as a cameo? Took me out of the Shuma Gorath scene pretty hard, but apparently it wasn't her

Ignis fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 6, 2022

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I enjoyed it somewhat. Some good visuals and cool ideas, but it was honestly really corny and the writing was very awkward at times. The CG felt shockingly dated too, more streaming TV than cinema at times though there was definitely some talented design work on display. Tolerance for cheese is mandatory since it definitely does not take itself seriously and all the actors seem to be wrestling the dialogue. There's a scene were Elizabeth Olsen has to say 'darkhold' like 5 times during a monologue and my heart went out to her. . Went in expecting spider-man 2 and got spider-man 3.

Ignis posted:

Also am I the only one who mistakenly thought[/spoiler]

I also had that thought!

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 6, 2022

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

SyRauk posted:

So there was no other multiverse where Vision and the boys were there? Or does Vision die in every universe? Also, did I miss something between 3rd eye-opening ending and then Strange meeting Clea, or was that a different Strange?

It was a great Sam raimi gag

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

SyRauk posted:

I also got a bit confused at that seeing Wanda have kids without Vision? Was there a different father? Then again, Ultron is there, but he's implied to have remained good, so there wouldn't be a Vision, and that Wanda didn't seem like she had powers before being possessed by Scarlet Witch Wanda...

Just a :psyduck: everytime I try to square that circle. Maybe that's the true Madness of the Multiverse!

I liked the movie, and seeing Raimi go back to his horror roots was a treat. Lots of cool stuff that I'll need to pay attention to in a re-watch.

As for Wanda's appearance as the film villain: The movie literally shows that Dr. Strange had the same chances of getting corrupted by the Darkhold either because he is too prideful and thinks he's the only one who can find a way to defeat Thanos, or can't let go of Christine and tries to search for a universe where they're together.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

who says they have to be... ALIVE?!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Really liked it as a movie. loving hated it as an MCU story. Full spoilers below

Everything they did with Wanda plot-wise was terrible. Just repeating the same character arc three times now with escalating stakes until she offs herself because they have no idea how to handle the character. I thought they were going to have America find a universe with just the kids needing a mom, and I was hoping the ending would at least be her separating from Scarlet Witch and sacrificing herself to take her out and save everyone but it was just a much lamer way of doing that to destroy the dumb book after her having another mental breakdown and showing she can't handle her trauma.

Even the way she fought was mostly boring Ironman beam shooting crap instead of the cool reality altering magic effects we've seen in other stuff.

I also agree the multi-verse stuff was just fan service tease again more than anything substantive.

I
think they've gotten a lot better at making fun wacky movies but at the same time they've completely lost the thread of where to take the MCU post-Thanos.

Zero One posted:

I was sure they were going to have him be the one that destroyed Third Eye Strange's universe after Stephen asked "and who did you fight" but it went nowhere

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 6, 2022

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

if this thread is dedicated to the movie itself, shouldn't we not have to use spoilers?

anyway. story arc theory spoilers:

now that reed richards and prof x are part of the mcu, and since richards references his kid(s?) it seems like we might be able to do an onslaught story arc? that would be badass for me since that's a story arc i actually kept up with a bunch as a kid

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug
As advertised - a horror movie with MCU fanservice sprinkled throughout. I'll probably dislike it the more I think about it but gently caress it, I had fun in the moment.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I really enjoyed it, I thought it had just enough of a different feel from other Marvel movies to make it really stand out to me. It helps of course that I just adore Strange's visual effects everytime he does... well, pretty much anything magic related.

I felt my inner child who watched saturday morning cartoons go wild when the old x-men theme kicked in briefly and Xavier had the big yellow chair.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Ignis posted:

(that's officially his name)

Also am I the only one who mistakenly thought AOC was in the movie as a cameo? Took me out of the Shuma Gorath scene pretty hard, but apparently it wasn't her

Yes.

Edit: I mean, no.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The MCU is becoming a total mess and Disney has no idea what to do with it and theyre just gunna keep piling on multiverse bullshit on top of itself until it makes so little sense and is so utterly directionless and redundant.

Truly a comic book series I guess.

When this movie was just Raimi doing his thing it was glorious fun and I loved it.

Otherwise I could honestly care less about Wanda and this was basically the WandaVision finale Part 2. I do not like WandaVision and I find her entire characterization extremely rote so all of the emotional stakes with her fell utterly flat. Complete waste of a character like Scarlett Witch IMO.

Ending was a total dud and just more of them kicking this multiverse plot down the road until theyve figured out how to maximize their IP portfolio.

Bottom Liner posted:

Really liked it as a movie. loving hated it as an MCU story. Full spoilers below

I think they've gotten a lot better at making fun wacky movies but at the same time they've completely lost the thread of where to take the MCU post-Thanos.

Yeah you pretty much nailed it. I miss the simplicity of the MCU and the clear build to Thanos. This multiverse stuff started excellently with Loki I thought and now its just an obnoxious corporate holding pattern.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 6, 2022

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I'm losing interest in the MCU and only saw this out of loyalty to Raimi, and that was a great call.

The unsuspecting crowd reactions from the theater are the best part

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Bottom Liner posted:

Really liked it as a movie. loving hated it as an MCU story.

I think this is where I am with it. It was entertaining and Sam Raimi as all get-out and I dug that, but it just doesn't fit anywhere that makes sense for me in the MCU. I can make Loki and No Way Home connect up in a sensible way in my mind but this circus was just too wacky in places.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

AccountSupervisor posted:

obnoxious corporate holding pattern.

When Kevin Feige said something to the media recently about him and a bunch of writers and producers going on a retreat to plan the next decade of MCU stuff, it definitely explained, to me, why the Phase 4 stuff has felt so disjointed.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

The MCU is becoming a total mess and Disney has no idea what to do with it and theyre just gunna keep piling on multiverse bullshit on top of itself until it makes so little sense and is so utterly directionless and redundant.

Truly a comic book series I guess.

Yeah, the lore density is clearly becoming unmanageable

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Agree, but if that means giving Sam Raimi $200 million Disneybux to make a bonkers Evil Dead homage who can really complain?

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 6, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Let
Him
Make
Immortal
Hulk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Necrothatcher posted:

Agree, but if that means giving Sam Raimi $200 million Disneybux to make a bonkers Evil Dead homage who can really complain?

Because it felt like an Evil Dead homage that suffered under the weight of $200mil Disneybux, so I am complaining.

Daniel's just spent $25mil making an utterly bonkers multiversal action film that absolutely outshines this visually and didnt need $200mil Disneybux to get it done. Raimi is more than capable of the same.

Sam Raimi is better off and his films always have been better off when he is less beholden to big budget studio mandates(except for Spider-Man but that eventually caved under the same issues) and while this film absolutely fuckin rocks when he is just let loose, its stuffed between a lot of things I did not enjoy.