Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kurzon posted:

You know the scene where Mr Fantastic is introduced? Yeah, I thought it funny that Mr Fantastic waited until Professor X mentioned his name before appearing via his teleportation thingy. It's like Mr Fantastic was watching the audience chamber through a camera and was waiting for just the right cue from the master of ceremonies to make his dramatic entrance.

This is just a comics thing, like how Magneto always hovers over the Brotherhood of Mutants at just the right angle to look incredibly cool from wherever the viewer happens to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But also Reed is exactly the kind of smug jackass who'd think it would be intimidating to make a special entrance

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is just a comics thing, like how Magneto always hovers over the Brotherhood of Mutants at just the right angle to look incredibly cool from wherever the viewer happens to be.
Honestly, it's also kind of a comics thing in that comics sometimes will have dialogue that is not literally synchronous with the action. Like you might have a conversation between two characters where a lot more action is happening over the course of them saying words, or a piece of dialogue is attached to an action or image that wouldn't logically happen at the exact same time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ironically, it was not, in fact, clobberin' time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The one downside of this movie is that it’s violent enough that I don’t want to show it to my young kid .

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

The one downside of this movie is that it’s violent enough that I don’t want to show it to my young kid .

Counterpoint they might like it. I watched The Evil Dead as a kid and thought it was awesome as hell

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

euphronius posted:

Kids are funny. I just showed my eight year old Raiders of the Lost Ark with a lot of trepidation and he went absolutely berserk for it. Asked me to replay the Nazi facemelt. In the 80s he would have absolutely been a Fangoria subscriber. A real surprise to me because he's such a sensitive and caring guy otherwise, but he's got the makings of a total gorehound.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 28, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eh the deaths of those people in the middle of the movie were pretty gruesome

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

euphronius posted:

You know it's funny because I remember as a kid thinking a pit of spikes was a dope trap, but now I would be horrified by it. Even though in my mind, as a kid, I was absolutely picturing people getting impaled on it. Just a different way of processing it I suppose. I think the spaghettification and the head pop wouldn't have landed very hard with me when I was younger.

I'm not trying to convince you to do this btw, just saying that kids are surprising. I probably would show MoM to a kid around 10ish, but that's just me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

10 ish yeah or 9. That seems about right

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

Yeah it’s insanely fun! Gore and violence are super cool to kids

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Finally watched this on the D+. It’s visually pretty with some cool Raimi direction, but suffers in the script. It’s overall a good time, but kind of weighed down by all the mcu baggage from both movies and tv shows now.

The back half let’s Raimi go more wild and have some fun as it becomes a bit more horror like. Jason/terminator Wanda is fun, music fight, angry dead souls, and those times that Wanda looks like a deadite are great. And love some of those old school transitions. But there’s so much marvel exposition to get through: snap talk, west view, darkhold over and over, book of vishanti, then a magic darkhold mountain. Oh and incursions. You kind of have to just accept the darkhold corrupts Wanda.

Obviously a film like this needs some exposition, but it’s all just kind of stated (mostly by Wong) without much style.

There’s some other silly stuff like how long it takes Wanda to start draining America after capturing her (giving strange enough time to walk around, have a fight, do a ritual, and then raise a zombie). But seeing zombie strange fly around with a cape of souls was really cool.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One flash back of her using the book the first time would have been good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This movie was exactly as gory and violent as I remember good comics books from the 90’s being. I couldn’t handle gore or blood & guts as a kid but as long as it was superheroes I would endure any horror.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Kurzon posted:

You know the scene where Mr Fantastic is introduced? Yeah, I thought it funny that Mr Fantastic waited until Professor X mentioned his name before appearing via his teleportation thingy. It's like Mr Fantastic was watching the audience chamber through a camera and was waiting for just the right cue from the master of ceremonies to make his dramatic entrance.

Honestly that rings true for certain elite Nobel or Nobel-ambitious scientists who can barely even make time for their own grad students or postdocs in between conferences, conferences, conferences, committees, honoraria, grant applications, grant reviews, peer reviews, conferences. Oh, your project is floundering? Contact my admin assistant, we can pencil you in for a half hour abut 13 weeks from now. Oh, the multiverse is under threat? I guess I can pop in for five minutes (tops) to provide a dismissive snap judgement as long as I accept no responsibility for being disastrously wrong

Anyway, fun flick, Raimi's directorial flourishes were very welcome, enjoyed the 20 minutes of Zombie Strange (Silver Age weirdness filtered through Raimi's sensibilities, good poo poo), otherwise hindered by a thick viscous layer of MCU backstory cack

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Admiralty Flag posted:

I saw it opening night and I keep thinking about one masterstroke line: Who said it had to be alive?

I laughed at the hiss he does when the camera comes back to him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Honestly that rings true for certain elite Nobel or Nobel-ambitious scientists who can barely even make time for their own grad students or postdocs in between conferences, conferences, conferences, committees, honoraria, grant applications, grant reviews, peer reviews, conferences. Oh, your project is floundering? Contact my admin assistant, we can pencil you in for a half hour abut 13 weeks from now. Oh, the multiverse is under threat? I guess I can pop in for five minutes (tops) to provide a dismissive snap judgement as long as I accept no responsibility for being disastrously wrong

That is also absolutely in line with Reed Richards, who has a million hypernobels, a family he occasionally pays attention to and supervillains to fight and/or argue with/pick up his kids from.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The trashiest and most Raimi bits were fun. They should let him do a Marvel Zombies movie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just found out that Olsen missed the premier and didn’t watch the screener they sent her because the time stamps and watermark ruin the frame. So she still hasn’t seen the movie, lol. Also reading interviews and she is an absolute master at saying “this poo poo is confusing and doesn’t make sense for my character” in a polite and neutral way. Lots of “I really had to sit with this” and “I spent a lot of time thinking about how to take her from WandaVision to MoM in a way that felt real”, but her initial response to hearing that she was going to be a big monster villain left her very confused.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Always late, I finally watched Dr Strange : does MoM , and it is the most scared I was at a cape movie .
Scared, because if even Reimi with all his talent and experience couldnt elevate a marvel movie to b e better then completely mediocre, what chance does the no name indie directors they usuallly hire got .
And its not like Reimi didnt try to work his lovable schlocky magic, but all his stylistic flourishes couldn't save this movie, because the writing is beyond saving .
I get that its hard to write dialogue when half of it got to be expository to set up all the mumbo jumbo set-up , but when you put it in the shooting script you got to work it and re-work it untill it sounds like sentencaes people might actually say, beacause what ends up in the movie is baaaad . And while I wasnt initially liking what they did with the villain , atleast have the balls to carry it to the end and not end with a redeeming noble sacrifice .
But this movie is not without its strong points - theres 2, cound them 2, scenes I loved ( the 4 iiluminati jabronis getting wrecked and the music notes shoot-out) , the movie had a real pace to it and wasnt overly long .
T'was.. alright. Not awful , not great , mostly a missed opportunity .

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bust Rodd posted:

Just found out that Olsen missed the premier and didn’t watch the screener they sent her because the time stamps and watermark ruin the frame. So she still hasn’t seen the movie, lol. Also reading interviews and she is an absolute master at saying “this poo poo is confusing and doesn’t make sense for my character” in a polite and neutral way. Lots of “I really had to sit with this” and “I spent a lot of time thinking about how to take her from WandaVision to MoM in a way that felt real”, but her initial response to hearing that she was going to be a big monster villain left her very confused.

Her character was cooler than ever before

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

Her character was cooler than ever before

Yeah, I honestly think she works better as a villain than as a sympathetic mom type hero, it’s just that all of WandaVision seemed to end on her becoming a sympathetic mom type hero.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It didn’t work for me at all because she was nasty as hell in that show and the show brushed it off.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair, the story of Wanda through the MCU is she is an abused child who was then instantly adopted into a paramilitary group, but then when she hosed up, the nature of the international adventure she wasn't questioned as much as her very existence. Then she ran off with her robot boyfriend, who she then had to murder after the Avengers were too much of cowards to do it, but then her murder of him didn't even count for anything because the indecisiveness of the Avengers means she just has to let him be resurrected to life to be brutally lobotomized and his brain literally used to then murder her, then she comes back and everyone who cared about her or had interested in her is dead or hosed off somewhere, she has no support systems, and the military purposefully baits her with the dismembered corpse of her robot husband to try to make her revive him into a murder machine, and then she has a psychotic breakdown which leads to trapping a town in a twisted waking nightmare, but also is keeping her robot husband and eventually children alive which is also being led along and prodded by an evil witch.

Also the hero of the movie mindwiped the entire planet including removing very intimate memories from a teenage girl, and played a long game in which he was complicit in the murder of a virtually infinite amount of life. So ya know...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
holy poo poo i literally only just now got the "MoM" pun

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dr. Strange MoMy issues

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Somewhere in there it would have been amusing to hear Wanda say “The baby.” like in Metroid other m

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Bruce cameo was pretty magical (pun intended)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gatts posted:

Somewhere in there it would have been amusing to hear Wanda say “The baby.” like in Metroid other m

someone should have pointed at Mad Wanda and said "not the momma"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

precision posted:

someone should have pointed at Mad Wanda and said "not the momma"

Whenever Wanda's not in a scene someone should be saying "Where's Mama"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

precision posted:

holy poo poo i literally only just now got the "MoM" pun

It was released directly before Mother's Day in the US.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/lucimcu/status/1543995170521108481?s=20&t=Vb7qmuF_4wS4_OwZvfW8fg

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
So there was only one universe where Wanda goes crazy? Shouldn't there be an infinite number of Wandas traveling through the universe trying to get America's powers?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fozzy The Bear posted:

So there was only one universe where Wanda goes crazy? Shouldn't there be an infinite number of Wandas traveling through the universe trying to get America's powers?

Whole movie could have been avoided with a few weeks of training and America finding a universe in which Wanda had died and her kids were orphans.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whole movie could have been avoided with a few weeks of training and America finding a universe in which Wanda had died and her kids were orphans.

Wasn't there a line where she would continue to use the powers to become very lazy and just find cures whenever the boys get sick

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pixeltendo posted:

Wasn't there a line where she would continue to use the powers to become very lazy and just find cures whenever the boys get sick

Yes, she was explicitly given the option to be sent to just such a Universe, and her response was "yeah but I might need to Universe-hop more, man! Gotta have those powers," so this is very much the case of the audience thinking they're smarter than the writers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lmao that owns

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Didn’t the universe split into multiverses only after the events Of the Loki tv show

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fozzy The Bear posted:

There are multiple Wandas but only one Scarlet Witch since she's a 'Nexus Being' (according to Wandavision). What any of that actually means is pretty vague though.

pro click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Would be better with Ace of Spades as the backing track