Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

Benedict Wong rules and I'm glad someone at Marvel seems to agree. Love that he gets to cash those cameo checks across the MCU.

i really think they could even do a movie that's mainly about him. one would think he would at least sell more tickets than Eternals where literally nobody even knows who the gently caress those people are. i read comics in the 80s and i literally had never heard of them haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

LesterGroans posted:

Benedict Wong rules and I'm glad someone at Marvel seems to agree. Love that he gets to cash those cameo checks across the MCU.

He does rule, but also gets his rear end kicked up and down throughout the whole movie and appears so much weaker than Strange. Really prompts me to question his legitimacy as Sorcerer Supreme .

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its never really explained why strange is so good at what he does beyond 'he read a lot'.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Consummate Professional posted:

Legion has some really cool and interesting stuff going for it. Worth a watch, I'd say.

I also really liked Prof. X in the third season. Legion is by far the most ambitious marvel property and Hawley is excellent.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I actually think this is worth seeing for fans of Raimi even if you don't give a poo poo about the MCU. It won't be your favorite movie but it scratches a lot of itches for that type of thing.

Plot-wise: the MCU is much like Marvel comics at this point in that the storylines are convoluted and they are having difficulty coming up with new stories without retreading on previous character arcs or selectively resetting them, but that's just how it's gonna be. It is kind of a shame that you see Wanda reading from the Darkhold at the very end of Wandavision (post-credits, even?) while she's seemingly repenting for her sins alone in the mountains. For people that watched Agents of Shield or know comic poo poo, most of us thought "well, she is/others are hosed now" and her being 100% the villain in this movie isn't totally surprising. If you didn't happen to watch the post-credits Wandavision scene or didn't know what the Darkhold was, it probably seems completely out of left field. If anything, it's a twist at the end of Wandavision, not really this movie.

At this point I look for (1) intelligible plot and (2) fun sequences, and this movie delivered. I don't super care for the general directions of the characters, but the movie is loaded with fun parts. The Illuminati sequences were absolutely great for the audience's reaction and far more brutal than I EVER expected Marvel to get.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Also, why is Wanda the most powerful force in the universe all of the sudden, ripping through captain marvel and the rest of the Illuminati in a couple of minutes? the necronomicon darkhold? its hard for me to remember the origin of her powers that they gave her in avengers 2 at this point. wasn't she part of some sort of genetic engineering experiment? not that it matters. it was pretty cool when she did all of those murders

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Jedit posted:

The scene where Strange fights his counterpart with them using the movie's musical score as a weapon is one of the most fun and imaginative sequences I've seen in any movie recently, let alone a Marvel joint.

Hearing the actual classical musical scores like Beethoven's 5th (which of course makes perfect sense if they were pulling the literal notes from the pages) kinda threw me off a bit. But as the fight goes on, you can see the notes changing into magical rune shapes

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

RBA Starblade posted:

It's funny how boring comic movies are, from anyone, in comparison to whatever madmen ramblings apparently get written down into these

*glances over at the comic version of Civil War*

You have no idea.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Jackie D posted:

One of the What If episodes was Peggy Carter getting the super solider serum instead of Rogers, it could be a different one but there's no reason to think it's not the same Carter from the cartoon. I also thought the evil Strange might be from another of the What if episodes but that seems less likely

It's 100% not. Movie and What If spoiler:
This evil strange went searching for a better universe and killing off other/unhappy stranges after his Christine married someone else. Strange Supreme has a whole different origin where Christine dies in the crash instead of him losing his hands, and his whole becoming a sorcerer thing is to be able to undo it, despite it being a fixed point on that timeline and screwing up that universe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rental Sting posted:

Also, why is Wanda the most powerful force in the universe all of the sudden, ripping through captain marvel and the rest of the Illuminati in a couple of minutes? the necronomicon darkhold? its hard for me to remember the origin of her powers that they gave her in avengers 2 at this point. wasn't she part of some sort of genetic engineering experiment? not that it matters. it was pretty cool when she did all of those murders

Wandavision establishes that she always had magic abilities, the Mind Gem helped bring them out but her power's innate

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rental Sting posted:

WandaVision explained that Wanda always had witch powers, but she wasn't really aware of it and chalked up her abilities to luck. The Mind Stone was like steroids to that and unleashed her powers. She was at a point where she could kick Thanos' rear end one-on-one, but she didn't start to truly realize how powerful she was until WandaVision. Then the Darkhold made her even stronger at the cost of her sanity.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Rental Sting posted:

He does rule, but also gets his rear end kicked up and down throughout the whole movie and appears so much weaker than Strange. Really prompts me to question his legitimacy as Sorcerer Supreme .

His friend dies to destroy the book and he tells Wanda where to get a new book three minutes later, like bro come on bro.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dr. Strange 2 is such a crazy movie that there's an unexplained minotaur dude in it and I have yet to see anyone talk about that.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Bananaquiter posted:

His friend dies to destroy the book and he tells Wanda where to get a new book three minutes later, like bro come on bro.

Wish they would have had you know, any characterization.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Gavok posted:

WandaVision explained that Wanda always had witch powers, but she wasn't really aware of it and chalked up her abilities to luck. The Mind Stone was like steroids to that and unleashed her powers. She was at a point where she could kick Thanos' rear end one-on-one, but she didn't start to truly realize how powerful she was until WandaVision. Then the Darkhold made her even stronger at the cost of her sanity.

Ah, yes, of course, the mind stone. Thank you. I've seen all of this marvel stuff save for What If and Moon Knight but just can't hold it together anymore. My mind is fractured. Kinda feel like Angelina Jolie in Eternals.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bananaquiter posted:

:rip:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Bananaquiter posted:

Minotaur guy was at stake!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LesterGroans posted:

Minotaur guy was at stake!

Let's hope not! :dadjoke:

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Movie was very fun. Love Sam Raimi. Don't care about the MCU as a whole so I was generally satisfied, though I think Stephen and America were a little under-written.

I could watch some of those jump scares all day

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Doc Fission posted:

I could watch some of those jump scares all day

All the witch stuff was great. Easily my favorite stuff outside of the Strange musical note duel.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Movies have gone out of their way recently to show that torture doesn't work when the good guys do it, but it only takes the villains about two seconds of torture to get 100% compliance from a hero.

Seems to me that the lesson is that protagonists need to get better at torture.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I really liked how a lot of Stranges spells had a creature or parts of a creature being summoned, it felt proper horror magic and made Strange feel actively creative in how he handled situations instead of just blasting glowing vfx.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, the Scarlet Witch mind control effect where she freezes time, appears behind them, and whispers in their ear is her most visually/narratively interesting power, but this was the first time she has used it since Age of Ultron.

Use it more!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, the Scarlet Witch mind control effect where she freezes time, appears behind them, and whispers in their ear is her most visually/narratively interesting power, but this was the first time she has used it since Age of Ultron.

Use it more!

10000% agree. I don't harp on the critique of laser battles in every marvel movie a ton, because superheroes, but if you can avoid it you should!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Use it more!

You know, she really should have done that left and right in Wandavision

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
When she was full-on Scarlet Witch Elizabeth Olsen had some real Vera Farmiga vibes

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Use it more!

She used it on Agatha, but it didn't work all that much.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/Gtooowavyy/status/1522304847407890432?t=FvyORkwBQIdeZfFq69m6Eg&s=19

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I couldn't remember anything from Avatar and have no idea why they have both a human and tree cat child.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I couldn't remember anything from Avatar and have no idea why they have both a human and tree cat child.

Oh that's easy: they have the purrfect marriage.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh that's easy: they have the purrfect marriage.

Where did Jake Sully put his jizz to make the human baby? And did the human scientists make the Avatars capable of jizzing? And whose DNA is the Avatar jizzing?

Since they have already announced 4 sequels, I bet they are going to keep it a cliffhanger until the last one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
also why was the human so big? the avatar people are like 12ft tall

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
also, so many "hand" shots

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Since they have already announced 4 sequels, I bet they are going to keep it a cliffhanger until the last one.

Cameron has said that all the Avatar films will be standalone and self-contained stories. There's not gonna be some overarching narrative across the movies.

I'm mostly hyped to see the HFR underwater action sequences in IMAX 3D.

[edit] You remembered the main character's name. Fraud!

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 6, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

Cameron has said that all the Avatar films will be standalone and self-contained stories. There's not gonna be some overarching narrative across the movies.

I'm mostly hyped to see the HFR underwater action sequences in IMAX 3D.

How can they be stand alone and self-contained when the first one is a direct sequel with the same cast?

The official summary even says:

quote:

Following the events of the first film, Jake Sully lives with his newfound family formed on the planet of Pandora. Once a familiar threat returns to finish what was previously started, Jake must work with Neytiri and the army of the Na'vi race to protect their planet.

teagone posted:

[edit] You remembered the main character's name. Fraud!

I had to look it up on IMDB! I also forgot that Zoe Saldana was one of the main characters.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

How can they be stand alone and self-contained when the first one is a direct sequel with the same cast?

https://screenrant.com/avatar-sequels-standalone-stories-movie-franchise/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Avatar 2 will be much like the first. Fun as hell to watch and exceeding stupid to think about.

What type of 3D is it using? Has glasses or 3d shooting tech progressed much in ~5 years? Will IMAX 3D be the best way to see this one?

it's right there in the header :v:

quote:

their own standalone story revolving around the ongoing adventures of the Sully Family

Actual standalone stories would be exploring different characters/tribes/times. This is very much a continuation of the characters' story even if the events of this movie are their own arc. Its pretty lame that they're just repeating human vs alien conflict already though.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 6, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

From what I remember, Cameron's reasoning for making the films self-contained sequels is in the event 2& 3 do bad and Disney is like nah we don't wanna make 4 & 5 anymore lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5 will each have its own standalone story centered on the Sully family, it has been revealed.

Since they are all following the Sully family, they can keep the jizz secret reveal until later.

quote:

Indeed it’s previously been teased that the children of Jake and Neytiri will take center-stage in the new Avatar films.

Poor Sam Worthington. There goes his paycheck.